Sign in to follow this  
Elliott Cowand Jr

How I Make WAY Less Than One Penny per Download and You Can To!

Shutterstock sold one of my photos once.

This image was included in a news story which has been reposted to over 83 unique and different radio station websites.

Is this allowed under the terms of the purchase agreement, or has the buyer violated the contract?

(edited for clarity)

1 hour ago, Elliott Cowand Jr said:

My generic photo of a firetruck sold just once - back in the heady days of 0.25 cent sales.

It was attached to the news story: "11 Firefighters Injured in Downtown Los Angeles Explosion."

Googling my name, I found the article with my photo has been loaded onto over 80 unique radio stations' websites. So that equals about 0.00301 cents per website.  

And this has happened to me before.

Thanks very much radio network syndicators: "Served by Inter Tech Media / Powered by One CMS".

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 4.42.58 PM.jpeg

?  didn't you allow this by selling it RF?

Just now, jean-francois me said:

?  didn't you allow this by selling it RF?

I feel royalty free should only allow for the use in one location. It shouldn't allow the photo to be reposted to other independent websites.

Hey, you didnt made less then one penny by download, your (one) download was paid right ("right") 25c, you made less then penny by re-use..?

Just now, miliusx said:

Hey, you didnt made less then one penny by download, your (one) download was paid right ("right") 25c, you made less then penny by re-use..?

My photo sold once for 25 cents and was placed on over 83 seperate independent websites.

5 hours ago, Elliott Cowand Jr said:

My generic photo of a firetruck sold just once - back in the heady days of 0.25 cent sales.

It was attached to the news story: "11 Firefighters Injured in Downtown Los Angeles Explosion."

Googling my name, I found the article with my photo has been loaded onto over 80 unique radio stations' websites. So that equals about 0.00301 cents per website.  

And this has happened to me before.

Thanks very much radio network syndicators: "Served by Inter Tech Media / Powered by One CMS".

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 4.42.58 PM.jpeg

they shouldn't bee allowed to do that, they have to pay for use on every website I believe.. Report it to shutterstock 

7 hours ago, Elliott Cowand Jr said:

I feel royalty free should only allow for the use in one location. It shouldn't allow the photo to be reposted to other independent websites.

but there is nothing in the agreement your agent that prevents this.  RM would state what the usage was for.  Please show me where the agreement says they can't but it on multiple page

6 hours ago, Elliott Cowand Jr said:

My photo sold once for 25 cents and was placed on over 83 seperate independent websites.

I think photo was not sold, but the licence was sold, or something..

2 hours ago, jean-francois me said:

but there is nothing in the agreement your agent that prevents this.  RM would state what the usage was for.  Please show me where the agreement says they can't but it on multiple page

Buyers are not allowed to Resell, redistribute, provide access to, share or transfer any Visual Content except as specifically provided herein.

I saw many of my photos being used by many companies in the same way,especially on social media.one person buys 1000 people uses even they are cutting and write their's wish on holidays,Happy Ramadan...etc,my money photos are the same.For the first purchaser, the watermark remove, making it easy to spread and use with tags each other (on facebook,online newspapers or twitter,ingstagram) and guess what?The value of the photos is decreasing ! I am not happy with it.

Just now, Philip Armitage said:

send an invoice to each of the places you found it, for something like $100 - use of image....see what happens

I don't think the individual radio stations are at fault.  Think the problem is with the buyer, but I'm interested to learn what is written in the shutterstock agreement.

(my original post has been edited for clarity)

7 hours ago, oleschwander said:

Buyers are not allowed to Resell, redistribute, provide access to, share or transfer any Visual Content except as specifically provided herein.

oleschwander, Can you provide the link for this contract info? Thanks.

4 hours ago, oleschwander said:

https://www.shutterstock.com/license

I think Philip is right: “send an invoice to each of the places you found it, for something like $100 - use of image....see what happens”.

Thanks for the link.  (Found another paragraph that may let them off the hook.) "right to distribute... across unlimited mediums and distribution channels." Contracts seem to be written in a way that the lawyers can charge clients for hours interpreting their meaning.Screenshot_2020-06-20-03-51-57-1.thumb.png.53f789cac383a6e38fe6c2621df46157.png