Steve Barze

Decrease in the general portfolio and decrease in uploads

3 hours ago, BjornBecker said:

Anyone who offers their photos for sale negates the efforts of those who have decided to deactivate their portfolio.

Oh, you can talk about anyone?

You know anyone and everyone?

You know what is the truth, what is best, what is worst, what is wrong and what is right?

You konw the one and only way?

No different ways possible?

Who are you, Mr. 9-Post?

I completly disagree with that whole „strikebreaker“ accusation.

Our peers are adults who are free to make their own decisions, please don‘t try to divide us or to create a backlash within the artists community.

Many are struggling really hard to feed their families in the pandemic, who are you to decide how they should live their lives?

I am sure anyone who agrees with us and wants SS to come up with a better solution, will do what they can.

Simply focussing on other agencies and not uploading here for a while can make a huge difference. 

Losing 30-50% of the upload streams and especially the quality uploads, is extremly embarrassing for SS. I am sure they didn‘t expect that.

Anybody looking at the latest uploads, can see something is seriously wrong.

One of the best and most probable expectations is that of Studio 2. If I send you my address, when the spaceship arrives can you pick me up too? We take a tour of the galaxy, take lots of photos and sell them for at least $ 500 each, in the face of SS and his stingy customers. Of course if there is a free seat on board .... I can bring sandwiches and beer !!!!

1 hour ago, Jasmin Awad said:

I am sure anyone who agrees with us and wants SS to come up with a better solution, will do what they can.

That's what helps SS being SS and continuing to sell for nuts. People that are disappointed but still sell. Sorry, whatever your situation in life, if you continue selling on SS, you're contributing to make them laugh of us and make no change at all.

8 hours ago, Working Title Productions said:
June 17th update
The “coordination group” has decided the following:
Continuation of the deactivation day until the end of June. If at all possible please do not re-activate your files until then. There is a very specific reason for this action. Shutterstock ends its fiscal Q2 on June 30. One of the key metrics that is reported during the call to investors is the growth status of the image collection and assets. Never before has Shutterstock reported a shrinking portfolio which will bring questions from the investors. This will bring a clear message that we mean business. Please spread the word to other forums and country specific groups that are not present here so that we are better coordinated. We would like to see support for this measure from all contributors around the world. We know that this was not originally called for but it’s an opportunity we cannot let pass by. We understand this is a hard thing. We will bleed, but we bleed together, there will be a time when you will feel very proud of what you have achieved. Please read on.
We will open a poll for the name of the coalition. Before officially registering the coalition we need to finalize the name. There are different opinions on how to name ourselves as a movement, but the name should represent that we are visual content creators or creatives or a combination of that. Keep in mind that the shorter, more concise name is usually better. Once this has been settled, there will be another contest of sorts for the best logo representing us.
The former “expert group” has been renamed to “coordination group” as it more represents how we see our role in this. This group consists of Jake Sorensen, Jo Ann Snover, Alistair Cotton, Ania Dergachev, Serge Zap, Polozov Ievgenii, Robin Hooder and myself plus a few members who have chosen to remain in the team but not reveal their identity. This step is important for you to verify our identity and see that we have the credibility to move forward. Also, it's good that some of our members have remained in the shadows for greater peace of mind. We have chosen a leader for the coalition, but this choice will be kept undisclosed for the time being.
The leader presented a strategy upon which we all agreed. This is the best way to move forward and provide the means to achieve long-term sustainability for all of us. The base strategy will be hidden (for obvious reasons) but actions will be taken to achieve it. People have been assigned with activities they need to push forward and regular meetings will be held to receive feedback and hear about measures taken. Rest assured; we will not stop until we have provided results that are in the right direction. Some of the activities coming from the strategy will be broken down to tasks for which we will raise polls here in order to make sure we are on the right path and we would like for all of you to participate to help steer the direction of this coalition. This will be happening in the days ahead, initially as a discussion, but later once enough relevant options have been foreseen, it will be put to a poll again for this group to decide. Please stand by and join the discussion to make your voice heard. We are only dozens of people and we need your voices and opinion. We need your support to make the best choice!
We have ongoing discussion with a major agency that is in line with our demands so that we can support the agency moving forward. Soon we will open discussion with another also major agency, both of which represent a huge chunk of the market. In addition we will discuss, and I urge you to take part, what we consider to be the minimum requirements agencies must meet in order to support them as a coalition. Start thinking on that and let’s begin a constructive debate!
The race to the bottom has started. Make no mistake about this. This is not just a battle to bring old royalties back but to make continued changes in the industry as a whole. If SS gets away with their current changes we can expect to see other agencies follow suit. There will be no more micro stock business model if we allow this to happen. If you do not join in this worldwide effort, you are risking other agencies dropping royalties in order to remain relevant in the marketplace. This will again be on our back and will constitute the final blow of what was once a lucrative industry. Other agencies will have to adjust to the new royalties’ scheme if they want to survive in the business.
Rest assured that whatever is agreed upon with these major agencies, it will be for the benefit of the members of this coalition. We will not be able to guarantee the same benefits for those not supporting the coalition. That’s why we urge you to support us and all of its members in this time of crisis. We know that a lot of members did not deactivate their portfolios or stop uploading to SS. Make no mistake, they are strikebreakers. If they want to enjoy the benefits that we will agree upon moving forward, then they need to do their part. We will give anyone the option of starting from today and showing their support in the effort. We are not going to sacrifice ourselves so that others can act “smart” and devalue the engagement that is taking place by being selfish. This should only exclude single parents, disabled people etc depending on this income.
Our website is almost done, tomorrow Alistair Cotton will announce it. Please jump on to officially register with the coalition. This is essential to better communicate and represent our common needs. Additionally, the statistics gathered there will be crucial in determining what we should push for in continuing negotiations with agencies.
We will soon open an Instagram profile which will help deliver the message to a huge audience. We would urge you to follow the profile and grow the audience. It will be very beneficial in long-term communication.
We are actively listening to what is being said on this page. Take part in the discussions and present your point of view. We are constantly reading all the posts and comments. You may have noticed that some of the subjects brought forward in this announcement were from questions raised in the posts from all of you. So, keep up the good work.
Continue actively supporting the agencies that you find relevant. You have to sustain your income while we struggle through these difficult circumstances. We will work very hard to ensure that they do not happen again. It's a demanding task, but we continue to receive support from all corners of the globe.
Frequent communication is needed. Please bear in mind that we are just like you. We are working hard to support ourselves and families while at the same time trying to gather the energy to continue this battle. Your proposals and ideas are very helpful but it's even more helpful when you volunteer to provide time and energy to accomplish your idea. We hold meetings regularly and discuss all issues at hand but we cannot do it every day. We will post announcements whenever we are able.
“Keep the button off please”
Support yourself by supporting the actions of this coalition

There's a new list of featured contributors on the home page, showing also their profile image. Although i guess they have a special deal, would be nice to contact them and inform them. If they deactivate portfolio and also put the 0.10 logo on their profiles, it would appear in the homepage. 

@Jasmin Awad I do understand what you meen and I've been doing this as a full time job since 2013 with more than 50 percent of my income from SS, but if we don't support them now, and by that I meen no new uploads and closing accounts if we can, the microstock as we know it will be lost forever.

I've seen that when GI took over I. and the whole market was forced to follow   their lead in dropping prices.

If we don't take a stand now our future is gone as contributors.

I hate it when a CEO tries to implement a business model that works in other domains here (cutting expenses) and the only idea is to kill the "work horse".

If we don't work as a united group now we are done not only here but on all the agencies.

At the end of June I will close or disable my account here because I don't see a reason to continue as this month is a 60 percent less than May and May was the worst month in years.

Plecase excuse my english.

20 minutes ago, Adam__K said:

That's what helps SS being SS and continuing to sell for nuts. People that are disappointed but still sell. Sorry, whatever your situation in life, if you continue selling on SS, you're contributing to make them laugh of us and make no change at all.

You joined this forum 1 week ago.

And try to tell everybody what to do and what not to do. 

I rather read thoghts like this

https://brutallyhonestmicrostock.com/2020/06/13/shutterstock-earnings-cut-hitting-them-where-it-hurts/

and make my own decisions. 

2 minutes ago, geogif said:

And try to tell everybody what to do and what not to do. 

I rather read thoghts like this

https://brutallyhonestmicrostock.com/2020/06/13/shutterstock-earnings-cut-hitting-them-where-it-hurts/

and make my own decisions. 

I just have to say i totally agree with that article, and of course you're free to make your own decisions.

Thanks for investigating my life, but I was with SS from many years and totally deleted my account.

8 minutes ago, Adam__K said:

Thanks for investigating my life,

Amazing that after so much experience you don't even know the simplest forum techniques. 

Just go with the mouse over the name of a poster, to the left of the post. You do not even have to click.
After a short moment, the data for joining the forum will appear. 
If this is what you meant by "investigations", I hope that your other views are based on a better foundation.  

Just now, geogif said:

Amazing that after so much experience you don't even know the simplest forum techniques. 

Just go with the mouse over the name of a poster, to the left of the post. You do not even have to click.
After a short moment, the data for joining the forum will appear. 
If this is what you meant by "investigations", I hope that your other views are based on a better foundation.  

Are able to read? What part don't you understand of TOTALLY DELETED MY ACCOUNT? 

Now I'm serious. I stopped downloading photos on SS as early as June 2nd.
The temptation would be to send only crap and see if, having the need to continually renew, they will also accept junk. But I still don't want to do this experiment.
But I still have to collect a good amount that I would lose completely if I disable it completely. I still can't afford it but I will. I tried to lower the minimum but I have some difficulties.
Mine is currently a stalemate and I can't do otherwise.
As I said in another post: I don't cut my pea to spite my wife who cheats on me.

12 minutes ago, Adam__K said:

Are able to read? What part don't you understand of TOTALLY DELETED MY ACCOUNT? 

What do you understand by "investigaion"?
You claimed I was investigating your life. 
Now you're yelling around here in the forum. 
Who do you think you are?
Bad behaviour and ignorance of the simplest forum rules is not a free ticket for a big mouth. 

7 minutes ago, geogif said:

Bad behaviour and ignorance

Sorry i do not feed trolls who still sell 5800 photos for 0.10 because is "smarter" than others and try to distract conversations and protect SS. Ignore. 

42 minutes ago, geogif said:

I'm with SS for 6 years.

I came to the forum when SS univocally changed our payment system at last minute.

From your message I guess new members of the forum aren't allowed to have an opinion and need to shut up? Who do you think you are to forbid the freedom of speech and opinion? 

5 hours ago, geogif said:

Who are you, Mr. 9-Post?

So you're here to attack anyone that has less posts and seniority than you?

4 minutes ago, Adam__K said:

I guess new members of the forum aren't allowed to have an opinion and need to shut up?

Neither old nor new members should tell others what to do or not to do. 
You don't know the personal situation of each one. 
And not participating in the forum for years and suddenly appearing as the head guru, new members should actually refrain from joining. 
And put an end to your arrogant ways. 

Just now, geogif said:

Neither old nor new members should tell others what to do or not to do. 
You don't know the personal situation of each one. 
And not participating in the forum for years and suddenly appearing as the head guru, new members should actually refrain from joining. 
And put an end to your arrogant ways. 

The arrogance is all yours. 

I never told anyone what he should do. 

My opinion is that feeding SS is permitting them to continue with that one way behavior. This doesn't mean imposing anyone to do anything. It is an opinion, I could say pretty realistic, but what I'm sure is that I am free to express it. My goal in life is not being any guru. Though, I guess you need to be able to understand what you read, and not officially interpreting what I said putting in my mouth things I never said.

If i think whoever sells his work for 0.10 doesn't have any self respect and is helping SS to do the dirty job they're doing, this is my opinion, and I never forced anyone to do anything.

Again, if you think staying on SS is great, stay there and use your time to upload new content. Just don't interpret officially what I say and stop being arrogant. 

10 minutes ago, Adam__K said:

So you're here to attack anyone that has less posts and seniority than you?

All of a sudden a lot of supposedly longtime SS-contributors appear here, who never showed up.
And all of them often aggressively hold the same opinion. 

Cui bono?

3 minutes ago, geogif said:

All of a sudden a lot of supposedly longtime SS-contributors appear here, who never showed up.

The last 6 years I was busy shooting, selling, uploading. I will be sincere, didn't know about the existance of this forum and didn't need it. 

Don't you think many people discovered the forum after SS crazy univocal decision that impacted many of us drastically? My case is that, and I guess it's the case of many of us. 

Does this mean we are worth less than you? 

Why don't you say the same to stockphotofan1, who is convincing people their earnings will duplicate, based on a statistical model created after getting 29 sales? He also looks to be pretty new, and is selling himself as the guru, the one and only possessing the truth, but I didn't see you attacking him. 

For Geogif and Adam K. Enough sterile controversies and quarrels. Nobody really knows who trolls and who is an infiltrator. I could be too. Everyone has their own needs and problems.
As for me, one of the problems is that on AS I have 700 photos and four DL in two months, biblical times for review and acceptance, continuous waste, very laborious tagging.
On AL 700 photos and 5/6 DL in one year, even if well paid, average times for review, laborious tagging.
DT and 123 with non-existent DL, Getty and others (through various agencies) non-existent.
Pond5 just started but in two weeks and 50 photos no sale and no visualization (they provide this data).
SS is operationally still the best, they know it and take advantage of it. Nobody defends them for their cynicism. They are simply incorrect and probably themselves slaves of the 750 DL customers. Over time our problems will also become the problems of SS. They must think about this by becoming great not only with contributors but also with their stingy and greedy customers.
I don't know if these are just my problems with my small numbers and my bad pictures.

54 minutes ago, Steve Barze said:

For Geogif and Adam K. Enough sterile controversies and quarrels. Nobody really knows who trolls and who is an infiltrator. I could be too. Everyone has their own needs and problems.
As for me, one of the problems is that on AS I have 700 photos and four DL in two months, biblical times for review and acceptance, continuous waste, very laborious tagging.
On AL 700 photos and 5/6 DL in one year, even if well paid, average times for review, laborious tagging.
DT and 123 with non-existent DL, Getty and others (through various agencies) non-existent.
Pond5 just started but in two weeks and 50 photos no sale and no visualization (they provide this data).
SS is operationally still the best, they know it and take advantage of it. Nobody defends them for their cynicism. They are simply incorrect and probably themselves slaves of the 750 DL customers. Over time our problems will also become the problems of SS. They must think about this by becoming great not only with contributors but also with their stingy and greedy customers.
I don't know if these are just my problems with my small numbers and my bad pictures.

Steve, posso risponderti in italiano, suppongo. Vorrei solo dirti, se non lo sai già, che ci sono siti che ti consentono di fare il lavoro di upload e di tagging una volta sola per tutte le agenzie. E la cosa buona è che forniscono anche un servizio di keywording veramente buono. Io uso Microstock Plus in versione free. Per il resto, purtroppo hai ragione sul fatto che non c'è paragone con i download, però, ad esempio, se questo mese non avessi avuto sei grossi SOD, non avrei ancora raggiunto il payout con ben 102 downloads. Mentre con circa 39 download su AD l'ho già raggiunto.

Ciao Luisa, grazie del consiglio. Proverò per vedere se mi riesce velocizzare e ottimizzare il lavoro, senza farlo one by one.

Complimenti per il tuo portfolio, non enorme ma mi sembra di ottima qualità. Mi rendo conto che il mio è molto più easy, con tanto street e viaggi, e quindi tanti contenuti editoriali che sicuramente rendono meno sia in termini di DL assoluti che come moneta.

Saluti 

14 hours ago, Mike Kuhlman said:

Maybe this new commission structure is only temporary and will return to the previous commission structure in 2021 if COVID passes-!

Well, if it's temporary than the day when SS returns to the previous commission the contributors who turned off their portfolios will turn it on again.

Or maybe they will not if they find out that other microstocks pay better.

13 minutes ago, Steve Barze said:

Mi rendo conto che il mio è molto più easy, con tanto street e viaggi, e quindi tanti contenuti editoriali che sicuramente rendono meno sia in termini di DL assoluti che come moneta.

Complimenti anche a te per il tuo portfolio e per i tuoi viaggi supendi. Ho riconosciuto le cerimonie di tana toraja a cui ho partecipato anch'io anni fa. Infatti anche io ho parecchie foto di viaggi ed editoriali che sì, vendono meno, ma vendono comunque. Sono su SS da 11 anni e carico poco, solo quando non ho altri lavori da fare. Avrei miliardi di foto da caricare, ma non ho mai avuto un approccio quantitativo e quindi seleziono solo le foto che penso possano vendere. Per me la scelta ha pagato. Non so se potrei consigliarla ad altri perchè vedo che qui tutti preferiscono uploadare quantità enormi di immagini, ma così è stato per me. 

Speriamo di poter riprendere il volo presto. 

Saluti