Steve Barze

Decrease in the general portfolio and decrease in uploads

For some days I have been following the total numbers of available images and weekly uploads.
The decrease is slight but there is. These are percentage decimals on the general numbers, which remain enormous, and more significant drops on the new contents. The decline in new content in the past few weeks has been nearly 30%. All this means the closure of a certain number of accounts and fewer contributors who pour images on SS. Will all this have been taken into account by SS? Will it have any value for their large customers? And for shareholders? Above all, will the decline curve continue or will it find a balance point? Quien sabe.

From what I read here, I conclude that the "tactic" of not uploading is followed by the largest group. 
I also belong to it and I will stay with it, after I almost burst into tears when I sold some of my heart blood pictures.
SS gets no more new pictures, from many contributors.
Then there are those who have shut down or deleted their account. 
No new pictures either, of course. 
I don't know the industry well enough and don't really know how buyers react.
750 pictures a month...
So, for a 5-day week with 8-hour days, about 4.5 images have to be purchased every hour, every day.
I don't know what criteria the "big buyers" use to fill their hard disks, but with this demand the factor "new" could be quite relevant, I suspect and hope.  
SS will react next year, in my opinion. 
Because then the tactics of many, probably mine as well, will change to shutting down. 
And then there are even more picture deaths, with fewer new additions. 
Is SS dead already and just didn't recognize it?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I remember SS used to take 2.2.-2.6 million files a week.

Before the announcement I think it was around 1.8 million.

Now it has dropped to 950 000 and continues to go down. And if you look at the newest uploads it is mostly very low quality content, snapshots, newbies, some editorial, very, very little is high quality or original.

It is obvious that the new earnings structure is absolutely not motivating the quality producers to upload here.

The hamsterwheel workplace with yearly reset to zero...it just devalues everything.

Trends in media change very quickly. A company that cannot show great new content every week will age fast, no matter how many millions of old files they have.

But of course even if they disabled all uploads, the company could still cruise along on autopilot for quite a while.

Who needs good quality fresh new content if you have 300 millions files, right?

With every new monthly payout, the quality uploads will go down and then in February 2021 after the reset...

Anyway...maybe one day the management will come up with a better plan with longterm vision. They are simply making it too easy for Adobe.

In fact I have not yet understood how the microstock world works. Maybe you can help me. Your portfolio is similar in size to mine. I am two and a half years old and I have 7000 images that I have downloaded progressively and practically constantly. Until about 6 months ago, sales increased proportionally with the size of the portfolio even if the numbers have never been high. I came to around 80/85 sales per month and saw them increase. I thought the still low number was caused by the "youth" of my account. Then sales stabilized and now declined despite continuing to "feed the beast". Now with the current commissions I am at very low levels of both download and earnings.
If you can tell me, if it is not confidential information, can you give me a comparison with what your numbers are, given the similarity of our accounts, even if my contents are mainly "street" and travel? Did I do something wrong or are my photos just ugly and insignificant? I would like to understand what sense it has to insist, not only on SS but also on other agencies on which I have even worse results even if compared to much smaller uploads.

Thanks

You guys are being way too critical ... with any luck ... after all those 10 cent downloads ... I plan I taking my granddaughter out for an ice cream cone next month.

I too ... stopped downloading...

BTW ... good editorial requires timely content ... buyers will soon have to look elsewhere ... 

My request was for Geogif but other suggestions are welcome.
Although it is not exactly a topic related to the title of the post.
Sorry but I'm really confused !!!

11 minutes ago, Steve Barze said:

In fact I have not yet understood how the microstock world works. Maybe you can help me. Your portfolio is similar in size to mine. I am two and a half years old and I have 7000 images that I have downloaded progressively and practically constantly. Until about 6 months ago, sales increased proportionally with the size of the portfolio even if the numbers have never been high. I came to around 80/85 sales per month and saw them increase. I thought the still low number was caused by the "youth" of my account. Then sales stabilized and now declined despite continuing to "feed the beast". Now with the current commissions I am at very low levels of both download and earnings.
If you can tell me, if it is not confidential information, can you give me a comparison with what your numbers are, given the similarity of our accounts, even if my contents are mainly "street" and travel? Did I do something wrong or are my photos just ugly and insignificant? I would like to understand what sense it has to insist, not only on SS but also on other agencies on which I have even worse results even if compared to much smaller uploads.

Thanks

My all-time-RPD (all time is 2 years) is 0,73. My June RPD is 0,49

The ups and downs are quite strong, but from February this year quite downward:

Unbenannt.jpg.180419e6a3b7c82cc0b0cb2da886f015.jpg

Thanks Geogif. My RPD is 20% lower than yours and continues to decline. But can you tell me how many sales, in number of downloads, you made for example in the month of March or April, when there was still no problem Covid?

1 hour ago, Arne Beruldsen said:

You guys are being way too critical ... with any luck ... after all those 10 cent downloads ... I plan I taking my granddaughter out for an ice cream cone next month.

I too ... stopped downloading...

BTW ... good editorial requires timely content ... buyers will soon have to look elsewhere ... 

i can only hope ice cream cone places will be open next month....  we are already setting ourselves up for a second wave.

as for good editorial, SS didn't touch their editorial side.  So the only thing they would do is actually increase their revenue by directing buyers there.

SS just ask me for feedback, not great timing after seeing more 10c downloads today, not surprising that my feedback was a tad negative, not that it will make any difference.

Haven't submitted any new content since the new price structure was announced, I will concentrate on other stock agencies.

Will wait until the end of this month or payment threshold before disabling my content. 

I'm still uploading a little here and transferred most of my pictures over to AL. Having uploaded a set of editorial photos here and AL 4 days ago, the images are still sitting in QC on AL, here on SS they were accepted withing a few hours and selling for between $0.10-$1.38. So it's either a little of something or nothing of nothing. either way my enthusiasm is low.

22 minutes ago, Mike Kuhlman said:

Maybe this new commission structure is only temporary and will return to the previous commission structure in 2021 if COVID passes-!

I think the only thing they will reconsider is the resetting on Jan 1 and nothing else. They might introduce a "last 12 months' scheme as a sort of reconciliation but I think that will be about it. They definitely won't go back to the old payment scheme as on 750 subscriptions they where losing money to the $0,38 contributors which was a stupid business plan in the 1st place.

4 hours ago, Jasmin Awad said:

I remember SS used to take 2.2.-2.6 million files a week.

Before the announcement I think it was around 1.8 million.

Now it has dropped to 950 000 and continues to go down. And if you look at the newest uploads it is mostly very low quality content, snapshots, newbies, some editorial, very, very little is high quality or original.

It is obvious that the new earnings structure is absolutely not motivating the quality producers to upload here.

The hamsterwheel workplace with yearly reset to zero...it just devalues everything.

Trends in media change very quickly. A company that cannot show great new content every week will age fast, no matter how many millions of old files they have.

But of course even if they disabled all uploads, the company could still cruise along on autopilot for quite a while.

Who needs good quality fresh new content if you have 300 millions files, right?

With every new monthly payout, the quality uploads will go down and then in February 2021 after the reset...

Anyway...maybe one day the management will come up with a better plan with longterm vision. They are simply making it too easy for Adobe.

I'm noticing the drop in the size of the image library and number of uploads weekly too. For years I've felt it was getting pointless to upload to SS.  Now I find I can't bring myself to do it even though I have over 500 good video clips I have yet to upload (it take so long to upload video that I always have a backlog of clips to upload.)  The good thing about Shutterstock's last hit on its contributors is that it motivated me to finally push through the obstacles of building my own site to sell stock photos.  I've tried many times and met with failure due to limitations in existing technology.  This time I got it up and running.  I know it will take work to promote it and get sales, but my cheapest license is $15.00, the average cost of a single sale across the microstock sites and it goes up from there.  One sale on my own site = 150 sales on SS in terms of income.  That pays me to do a LOT of promoting.  I also don't feel like I have been stabbed in the back every time a photo sells, or that I am contributing to the demise of our industry each time I upload stock photos.  If you have a wordpress website or know how to build one, check out a plug in called Sell Media.  It took me a bit to workout the kinks and make it work close to how I wanted but it is probably the best solution out there.  (believe me, I've been trying for years to figure out a good way to do this and tried them all).  Good luck everyone and if you do start selling your stock directly, please don't devalue your work.  SS has been doing that to the industry since 2004.  It's time to change that narrative.

2 hours ago, Mike Kuhlman said:

Maybe this new commission structure is only temporary and will return to the previous commission structure in 2021 if COVID passes-!

I just had one 10c downloads today, not even worth the electricity. I'll tell you what - SS can pay me NOW so I can get out. They should feel ashamed of themselves It's nothing short of slave labour as getting to the $35 min is gonna be hell.. Better off busking 

I have not been uploading for a month right now, and i won't ! I won't upload until a new payment schedule is announced.Plus,i will deactive my port end of June and I'm getting ready to say goodbye here! I've been here for three years,I got 7,868 Downloads with 4.150 images and they put me on 4.Level but I'm behind even 2017 for sub sales ! 4 image was $1 on 2017 and today 10 images $1 dolar,it is funny 🙂

Yes, I got different sales in June and i will share them on the topic about June by @Studio 2 but my mind has not changed !

6 hours ago, Jasmin Awad said:

And if you look at the newest uploads it is mostly very low quality content, snapshots, newbies, some editorial, very, very little is high quality or original.

And i agree with @Jasmin Awad about quality,really right.Also i believe most campanies needs NEW ,FRESH and TRENDY  qualty images.My daughter is in the advertising industry and often informs me, but creativity is a separate talent and I will not let the SS blind my talent.

Best wishes to all from Antalya-Turkey

Gulsen

13 minutes ago, Gulsen Ozcan said:

I have not been uploading for a month right now, and i won't ! I won't upload until a new payment schedule is announced.Plus,i will deactive my port end of June and I'm getting ready to say goodbye here! I've been here for three years,I got 7,868 Downloads with 4.150 images and they put me on 4.Level but I'm behind even 2017 for sub sales ! 4 image was $1 today on 2017 and today 10 images $1 dolar,it is funny 🙂

Yes, I got different sales in June and i will share them on the topic about June by @Studio 2 but my mind has not changed !

And i agree with @Jasmin Awad about quality,really right.Also i believe most campanies needs NEW ,FRESH and TRENDY  qualty images.My daughter is in the advertising industry and often informs me, but creativity is a separate talent and I will not let the SS blind my talent.

Best wishes to all from Antalya-Turkey

Gulsen

wow that's a lot of downloads. I've only managed to sell mainly editorial which is not so good for sales 

9 minutes ago, Tony Dunn said:

wow that's a lot of downloads. I've only managed to sell mainly editorial which is not so good for sales 

Yes,i agree @Tony Dunn for me, the sales of editorial are limited.I had many many photos from streets before i start this job but i did not upload them.I turned to conceptual,creative food photography and working most holidays,special days.etc.Most of my time is spent at the computer and most of my images are ready for use immediately after purchase.that is why I do not agree with this new payment plan of SS it is not fair.

I think they will continue to lose blood.

Thanks,hope you can find a way.

Back in March {before this horrible lockdown} someone asked me if I could photograph their wedding in July. Never done one before and probably isn't happening now. The only money I ever earned with a camera is doing videos on my youtube channel but google cut that a few years ago..I hope to get more subscribers on there with new videos then google will hopefuly pay me again.

I only got back into proper photography less than a yr ago after getting some decent newish cameras etc.. Used to shoot with film many years ago & even graduated in graphic art & photography back in the eighties {would you believe it} but have seen the devaluing of the whole industry in the last 2 decades. 

Luckily I have a friend {who is a pub landlord & former shop owner} who just bought one of those great A3 photo printers. He's going to try and sell mainly B&W prints and wants me to help. He even gave me some old AF camera lenses

18 minutes ago, Gulsen Ozcan said:

by the way @Tony Dunn i had a quick look at your port 194 images are for very little micro stock photography.

I've only been here a few months and they rejected a lot of photos at first. here's no way I can imagine uploading 1000s of pics. My old eyes won't take it.

6 minutes ago, Tony Dunn said:

I've only been here a few months and they rejected a lot of photos at first. here's no way I can imagine uploading 1000s of pics. My old eyes won't take it.

Oh,ok i see .I cannot recommend anyone to upload new images with these prices,especially if the eyes are a problem ! Well,same problem for me,when i start here my glasses was 1.70 and today i am using 2.70 degree!

24 minutes ago, Tony Dunn said:

Luckily I have a friend {who is a pub landlord & former shop owner} who just bought one of those great A3 photo printers. He's going to try and sell mainly B&W prints and wants me to help. He even gave me some old AF camera lenses

It is really great to hear that.

Shutterstock is now making money from the pictures they already have. Anyone who offers their photos for sale negates the efforts of those who have decided to deactivate their portfolio. As long as you keep the photos in the catalog visible, you will help SS to make more money, at least in the near future.