Alexander Moskovskiy

Attantion administration SS

If I am not received TERMINATION account confirmation e-mail 15 of June 2020.

I will block your activity on Russian Federation. You will bun by Russian Authority in legal way. According RF Law I can do it without Court.

Reading on Stock Submitter Coalition that the Russian stock community have agreed to take off their ports from 15 June but how many will do that I guess is yet to be seen. Having said that I reckon the Russian stock community have the potential to hit hard. 

6 hours ago, Steven Tritton said:

Reading on Stock Submitter Coalition that the Russian stock community have agreed to take off their ports from 15 June but how many will do that I guess is yet to be seen. Having said that I reckon the Russian stock community have the potential to hit hard. 

True, they are many and very talented, so they can hit SS's pocket hard, however deactivation only works when it is done for a long period. Even so, nobody knows what is going on behind the scene (read between the lines or the "small print").

10 hours ago, Steven Tritton said:

Having said that I reckon the Russian stock community have the potential to hit hard. 

True. And as Whiteaster said above, they are 'many and very talented'. They are hard working and have some very stunning portfolios. They are a very powerful group.

They were instrumental in protesting against Fotolia, a few years back, when they introduced the DPC (Dollar Photo Club, which was going to allow all photos, including ELs, to be sold for $1).  Many contributors left and in the end FT gave us an opt-out. But it was the Russian community who campaigned and led the way. Without them, I doubt it would have happened.

Not long after that, FT was bought out by Adobe, which has become the very good agency it is today. 

Wouldn't that be fun to see if the Russian community forced some reasonable compromise out of Shutterstock : )!? I can envision the following phone call: Donald, Donald, Donald! This is Vlad. What are your people doing over there at shutterstock? Talk to them to come to their senses! I am up to my neck with all these nice and talented Russian photographers calling me. If you can't put some sense in them, I will have to send over a sub (marine!) with Sean Connery and anchor it by your Statue of Liberty. and trust me, you don't want that...! :). 

At the moment, a coordinated action by Russian, Ukranian and Belorussian contributers is taking place to turn OFF their portfolios. Now hundreds of people have already reported in the corresponding forum thread that they have already done so. I believe that it goes about millions of turned off works. And this is far from the end. We hope that the global segment will support this movement.

Cheers! Seems like more than 1M photos gone so far. Well done and hopefully this will send some ripples of protest to NY. I’ll join you as soon as I get few more $$ and reach the payment threshold.

86EF604E-0E86-4AF8-981B-7BF92C837AF9.jpeg

20 hours ago, Milleflore Images said:

True. And as Whiteaster said above, they are 'many and very talented'. They are hard working and have some very stunning portfolios. They are a very powerful group.

They were instrumental in protesting against Fotolia, a few years back, when they introduced the DPC (Dollar Photo Club, which was going to allow all photos, including ELs, to be sold for $1).  Many contributors left and in the end FT gave us an opt-out. But it was the Russian community who campaigned and led the way. Without them, I doubt it would have happened.

Not long after that, FT was bought out by Adobe, which has become the very good agency it is today. 

Yes, the protest leading to shut down of the Dollar-Photo-Club was really great. The contributors have more power than the agencies think. And the agencies should always keep that in mind!

Someone commented on FB with exactly what I was thinking in that it's not just the  number of assets being deactivated as most of the contributors who are suspending their ports are likely those  who take a lot of pride in their work and  have worked hard to build quality. 

14 hours ago, Blue Corner Studio said:

Wouldn't that be fun to see if the Russian community forced some reasonable compromise out of Shutterstock : )!? I can envision the following phone call: Donald, Donald, Donald! This is Vlad. What are your people doing over there at shutterstock? Talk to them to come to their senses! I am up to my neck with all these nice and talented Russian photographers calling me. If you can't put some sense in them, I will have to send over a sub (marine!) with Sean Connery and anchor it by your Statue of Liberty. and trust me, you don't want that...! :). 

hahahahaha 

this made me laugh so much, I couldn't get the visual out of my head.

the-hunt-for-red-october-1990_12301376463018.jpg

9 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Yes, the protest leading to shut down of the Dollar-Photo-Club was really great. The contributors have more power than the agencies think. And the agencies should always keep that in mind!

I found the original thread, Wilm.

4 hours ago, Milleflore Images said:

hahahahaha 

this made me laugh so much, I couldn't get the visual out of my head.

the-hunt-for-red-october-1990_12301376463018.jpg

that's the one : ). I watched it probably 3 (4?) times. it's a classic. I miss the old guy. his voice was on par with Morgan Freeman's. isn't it interesting that a good portion of an actor's caracter is rounded by his/ her voice? just think of a few big ones: Jack Nicholson, Hugh Laurie, Anthony Hopkins, Meryll Streep, Robert Redford...

5 hours ago, Milleflore Images said:

I found the original thread, Wilm.

Hello, Annie,

thanks for digging that up again. We made our protest very clear at the Fotolia Forum at that time. There was quite a lot going on!

Seems that this time too Russian Photographers are doing a great protest. I think SS has lost almost 5 millions pictures from June 1 and uploads are reduced drastically. This is a screen from the homepage

Schermata 2020-06-16 alle 11.57.20.png

15 minutes ago, Luisa Puccini said:

Seems that this time too Russian Photographers are doing a great protest. I think SS has lost almost 5 millions pictures from June 1 and uploads are reduced drastically. This is a screen from the homepage

Schermata 2020-06-16 alle 11.57.20.png

Did you see this link in the other thread in the forum? Interesting stats!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sx80IDLCr0-1_ie1a17Rtm4m9fgUwglaxHdyNy2lDCc/htmlview?fbclid=IwAR30BmNy63U-_eFV6Bx7fciXMxWRqRZlGtS9jSKs-uUKp-GxV64qOGDpa1E#

What's significant in all this loss of images/vectors/illustrations/clips is that on the one hand someone can say: "big deal. 4+ million lost. Shutterstock can replace that in 3 weeks if they want to"! But can they really!? These files and ports removed or disabled are not the run of the mill / "newcomer" upload materials! Most likely those who removed were seasoned, experienced contributors with supposedly well selling material. who felt insulted and know that their work deserves much, much better than the 10 cents. I estimate that not more than 15% of all material in the database ever sell. But let's be generous and say 20%! So if most of the pulled data belongs in this 20%, it's not easy to replace it with new stuff and it would be more like in 15-20 million range to make up for it with all new. not to mention that the replacement would bring along many million useless, never to sell "dead weight" (for the lack of better word). So good luck to SS to make up for it!! And who exactly will upload so many million in hopes of making 10 to 14 cents on a pic??

I agree with you. And more: who wants to spend money for models, locations, props, gear, and all the necessary things for shooting great photos, if

your better hope is to earn a crust (not sure if this phrase is correct but i think you understand)

3 hours ago, Blue Corner Studio said:

I estimate that not more than 15% of all material in the database ever sell. But let's be generous and say 20%! So if most of the pulled data belongs in this 20%, it's not easy to replace it with new stuff and it would be more like in 15-20 million range to make up for it with all new. not to mention that the replacement would bring along many million useless, never to sell "dead weight" (for the lack of better word). So good luck to SS to make up for it!! And who exactly will upload so many million in hopes of making 10 to 14 cents on a pic??

I am also very sure that most of the files on the shutterstock server will never see the light of day.

In this context a remark that many people have not even noticed yet:

Have you ever searched for images at Adobe Stock?
For example, look for "garden".
You will see above that there are 12,181,600 hits. 
But: Only 100 pages are displayed. So 100,000 images. Nothing more. You cannot turn the pages more than 100 pages. From my point of view nobody would do that anyway - nobody has that much time. This means that if the search term is not restricted, over 12 million images will not be displayed. You will see less than 1%.

9 minutes ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

I am also very sure that most of the files on the shutterstock server will never see the light of day.

In this context a remark that many people have not even noticed yet:

Have you ever searched for images at Adobe Stock?
For example, look for "garden".
You will see above that there are 12,181,600 hits. 
But: Only 100 pages are displayed. So 100,000 images. Nothing more. You cannot turn the pages more than 100 pages. From my point of view nobody would do that anyway - nobody has that much time. This means that if the search term is not restricted, over 12 million images will not be displayed. You will see less than 1%.

Wow. That is incredible! Never looked at it that way! So I wonder how anybody finds my stuff that I uploaded some 3 years ago and "sold for the first time today". I speculate a sudden and unexpected sale (based on some twisted search request : )) would bring it to that first 100 pages?? It's a different way of looking things for sure. Which raises the question: if one believes in the value of some old photos that never seen the light, it's almost worth it (not at SS!!) to "refresh", i. e.  delete it and re-upload it to give it a new chance?

9 minutes ago, Blue Corner Studio said:

Wow. That is incredible! Never looked at it that way! So I wonder how anybody finds my stuff that I uploaded some 3 years ago and "sold for the first time today". I speculate a sudden and unexpected sale (based on some twisted search request : )) would bring it to that first 100 pages?? It's a different way of looking things for sure. Which raises the question: if one believes in the value of some old photos that never seen the light, it's almost worth it (not at SS!!) to "refresh", i. e.  delete it and re-upload it to give it a new chance?

I think that the unexpected sales are caused by several keywords.
The buyers who are looking for inspiration and do not yet have a concrete idea enter a search term. I do it a lot. It's like a brainstorming session.

But the buyers, who know exactly what they are looking for, then enter 3, 4 or more keywords in a chain. Then they might get all the pictures on the topic. Maybe there are only 1000 pictures left to choose from and they only have to search 10 pages.

That's how I would explain it.

12 minutes ago, Blue Corner Studio said:

So I wonder how anybody finds my stuff that I uploaded some 3 years ago and "sold for the first time today".

I doubt that many experienced customers are looking for with only 1 KW. With several KWs the result list thins out quickly, example:

"aerial" delivered nearly 4 million hits. 
"aerial Jordan" reduces the results to almost 4000 photos. 
"aerial Jordan police" then only brings 5 (already quite old) pictures. 

That's where I see the opportunity.
The seemingly many pictures that SS are now missing are not really much in percentage terms, if we are honest. 
But I hope that there is a lot in the deleted or decommissioned PFs that cover rare KW combinations. 
And not just Corona photos and laughing happy people. 
This could bring some of the buyers to other platforms. 

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Überschnitten mit @Wilm Ihlenfeld sorry

47 minutes ago, geogif said:

I doubt that many experienced customers are looking for with only 1 KW. With several KWs the result list thins out quickly, example:

"aerial" delivered nearly 4 million hits. 
"aerial Jordan" reduces the results to almost 4000 photos. 
"aerial Jordan police" then only brings 5 (already quite old) pictures. 

That's where I see the opportunity.
The seemingly many pictures that SS are now missing are not really much in percentage terms, if we are honest. 
But I hope that there is a lot in the deleted or decommissioned PFs that cover rare KW combinations. 
And not just Corona photos and laughing happy people. 
This could bring some of the buyers to other platforms. 

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Überschnitten mit @Wilm Ihlenfeld sorry

that sounds logical. thanks Geoggif and Wilm!