Peter Horrox

Anyone else pulling all their content off shutterstock?

I am not a massive contributor to this site I have about 800 photos on here and I have made about $750 over nearly 4 years. It's not my main job within photography but has been nice steady little earner. However now Shutterstock have changed the royalty rules I am now getting 10 cents per sale down from 33 cents!!! This is an insult quite frankly and so as soon as I have reached my payout level (40 cents away currently) I will be pulling my entire portfolio off of this site.

Now I get that some might think this is an over reaction as I still get a bit of new money for old rope without having to do anything if I just leave them on here, however, i think 10 cents per photo is such an insult I can no longer stomach the idea of Shutterstock making money from my work. Maybe I will go exclusive with adobe to make up the shortfall.

Is anyone else as angry as I am and if so are you going to pull your portfolio also?

4 hours ago, stockphotofan1 said:

I'm quite happy (for my goals) and am uploading more. earnings.jpg.863e1781ab13f035e34006ed0019d952.jpg

All the best,

Justin

http://www.statisticool.com/main.htm

That's 94 DL's for the entire month of May? Just asking since you've got more then 25.000 images online.

7 hours ago, Peter Horrox said:

I am not a massive contributor to this site I have about 800 photos on here and I have made about $750 over nearly 4 years. It's not my main job within photography but has been nice steady little earner. However now Shutterstock have changed the royalty rules I am now getting 10 cents per sale down from 33 cents!!! This is an insult quite frankly and so as soon as I have reached my payout level (40 cents away currently) I will be pulling my entire portfolio off of this site.

Now I get that some might think this is an over reaction as I still get a bit of new money for old rope without having to do anything if I just leave them on here, however, i think 10 cents per photo is such an insult I can no longer stomach the idea of Shutterstock making money from my work. Maybe I will go exclusive with adobe to make up the shortfall.

Is anyone else as angry as I am and if so are you going to pull your portfolio also?

I was going to wait until the end of June, but after the first 24 hours I got 28 DL for $0.10 and one for $0.15.
So I pulled my portfolio just after seeing that 29th 10 cents DL. 650 image down the drain, but every download coming in felt like someone spit in my face. For me, it's not what I get but what they take!

All gone. Been uploading like mad to other agency's. Going on a trip Saturday / Sunday . motel room $53 fuel $50 food $50 so I will spend $153 so if I up load to SS I would have to sell aprox 1100 images to break even. Not gonna feed SS's greed. 

I still feel that they (SS) blew this action of theirs. It was more than heavy handed, disrespectful and extremely, extremely greedy. If they had chopped the previous 25 cents to say 18 (flat!!), the 33 to maybe 23 (almost feels like 25 : )) and the 38 cents to 25, still there would have been big uproar and dissatisfaction in the contributing community, but over time we would have swallowed it with some bitterness. And some still would have pulled their port, but many would have kept contributing). But seeing the 10 cents, 12 cents, 14 cents (now you are extremely lucky with that 14!), it just insults us minute after minute, day after day, week after week. They miscalculated this big time!! Top management should have lowered their pay and bonuses (perhaps as little as by 5%), thus showing some initiative and that they also share the pain! But no! Typical arrogant, sh..theaded approach. Wonder how long they will manage this company. Hoping that not very long. For our sake. 

On 6/10/2020 at 8:34 PM, stockphotofan1 said:

I'm quite happy (for my goals) and am uploading more. earnings.jpg.863e1781ab13f035e34006ed0019d952.jpg

All the best,

The OP's question wasn't how happy some contributors still are with the new pricing, but (and I quote): "Is anyone else as angry as I am and if so are you going to pull your portfolio also?". 

so we are all very happy that you still consider worth while to keep uploading, just there may be other threads where you can show your satisfaction and happyness about your June income and Management's blindsided, selfish, disrespectful approach. 

On 6/10/2020 at 8:34 PM, stockphotofan1 said:

All the best,

Same amount as you posted a week ago. No sales this week, troll? 

7 hours ago, geogif said:

Look at his PF. 
Even 37 sales is 38 too many. 

How in the world did those images get approved? I now know what 10 cent images look like. Welcome to the new SS where the buyers dime doesn't buy as much. Hey there is a dead fly on the table let me take a photo of it with my flip phone from 1989.

On 6/11/2020 at 12:43 PM, R Scott James said:

All gone. Been uploading like mad to other agency's. Going on a trip Saturday / Sunday . motel room $53 fuel $50 food $50 so I will spend $153 so if I up load to SS I would have to sell aprox 1100 images to break even. Not gonna feed SS's greed. 

exactly!  I wrote a letter to SS via the forum (if they read them) outlining the costs of taking photos for most contributors. I only found out about the new rates when I got a dime the other day for a download. The one previous to that I recieved $1.29 so closed my port it takes more that 24hrs to close though

I disabled my port yesterday after only getting $0.10 DL's and the last week all of them from India and nowhere else in the world. It's bad enough getting screwed by the new royalties policy but to also get screwed by the constant algorithm changes, enough is enough.

On 6/10/2020 at 7:15 PM, Gtranquillity said:

That's 94 DL's for the entire month of May? Just asking since you've got more then 25.000 images online.

That is not worth bragging about

Gawd 25,000 images and 94 sales in a month!

LOL!

This guys a rainmaker

13 hours ago, njene said:

That is not worth bragging about

Gawd 25,000 images and 94 sales in a month!

LOL!

This guys a rainmaker

True, but I suppose it does reveal why he's so happy getting a few pennies from it :)

I haven’t been uploading much anyhow. At this point I might just work on my skills when I am able and upload more to other sites I am on. The latest site I’m on only has a small # of my port but to be honest I’ve only uploaded photos that have sold elsewhere first. Once I have uploaded most of not all of them ... i am not dure what I will do here. Maybe just keep what I have and upload at the other sites.

One question for folks: Do you think people (or just yourself in particular) would be less upset if SS had gone to a model similar to another site, where when first posted, photos are "level 1" and go up a level  if get bought/used/etc (pick your term) a certain number of times in a 6 month period (it could be a different time period) and what you get goes up accordingly. If not sold in the same length of time, the photo goes down a level (to 0 if unsold for long enough). So it's a  "per photo" change, not a total reset of your whole portfolio... so if a certain set of photos keeps getting sold regularly, they stay at the higher level/tier. I suspect even the bigger earners here don't sell everything in their ports. And even for those that do, there's some percentage (likely 15-20% based on what I recall being quoted) that makes up most of their earnings.