Steven Tritton

Fine Art America - Anyone rate it?

1 hour ago, stevemart said:

Is pixelsdotcom part of FAA? Their front-end site?

Hi Steve. Yes. That may have not been the best way to describe it, but here is some more info about the relationship.

https://www.microstockman.com/pixels-rebranding-fine-art-america/

You just go into the Behind the Scenes area in FAA and switch it on. From memory. I cant recall exactly what I did but it wasn't difficult. 

Apologies for my vagueness. Its 9.30pm here and a bit tired. Had a very busy day. 

3 hours ago, KellyNelson said:

I’ve had some nice sales there.  I must add more!

A few years ago, a greeting card company contacted me, they saw my pics on FAA.  They purchased two, directly from me, on a two year license for big $$$$.

I don’t have a premium account.

Kelly, Kelly, Kelly!! How the hell are you? 

Great to see you on here again. And super well done re the greeting card license.

yes, I have heard of people being contacted direct on FAA, a friend of mine recently as well, and being asked to do various commission work, etc. 

Blue Corner studio, yeah, it used to be a fine art site, but commerce has definitely taken over. 😉 Now its all about what people want on an iPhone cover. lol

Also refer to the link I posted above re. Pixels.com rebranding FAA.

And for those above who think there's not much money to made on FAA, all I can add is that for the right people with the right photos (and I've seen their figures) there's potential for hundreds$$$/month to made. That may be pie-in-the-sky for some of us, but its not impossible.

A good few years ago I gave it a go with a few hundred photo's I considered 'arty'!  Clearly no-one else did and I sold nothing.  Didn't renew my sub for the next year. The new front page is much better than what was there before (there wasn't much at all) and it might be worth another try now that I have some newer/different 'arty' stuff! 😀

6 hours ago, Blue Corner Studio said:

"My artsy pinhole and film stuff" : ). a good one. you have an excellent collection at FAA Rudy! really impressive. Lucky for you to have access to such "commercially attractive" architecture! Now, ignore me if you feel that I am prying. By no means am I trying to drag trade secrets out of you (!), but are you using Silver Efex for you B & Ws? they look sharp. and definitale "clean" as you put it. cool job! 

Thank you and yes SIlverEfex and the paint brush in PS for the digital stuff. Film is B/W film, Mainly Ilford, with very little post processing. Some Dodging and burning what you would do in the darkroom

6 hours ago, Milleflore Images said:

Kelly, Kelly, Kelly!! How the hell are you? 

Great to see you on here again. And super well done re the greeting card license.

yes, I have heard of people being contacted direct on FAA, a friend of mine recently as well, and being asked to do various commission work, etc. 

Blue Corner studio, yeah, it used to be a fine art site, but commerce has definitely taken over. 😉 Now its all about what people want on an iPhone cover. lol

Also refer to the link I posted above re. Pixels.com rebranding FAA.

And for those above who think there's not much money to made on FAA, all I can add is that for the right people with the right photos (and I've seen their figures) there's potential for hundreds$$$/month to made. That may be pie-in-the-sky for some of us, but its not impossible.

Hi Annie! 😁

Thanks, it was really nice...shocking really!

I treated myself to a premium membership today, thanks for the little push.
I had a big sale in Feb, so I figured why not?

10 hours ago, KellyNelson said:

I’ve had some nice sales there.  I must add more!

A few years ago, a greeting card company contacted me, they saw my pics on FAA.  They purchased two, directly from me, on a two year license for big $$$$.

I don’t have a premium account.

Waves at Kelly *wave, wave* Remember me??? :)
Congrats on the big sales. I hope they will come back some day to purchase some more!!

9 minutes ago, Gtranquillity said:

Waves at Kelly *wave, wave* Remember me??? :)
Congrats on the big sales. I hope they will come back some day to purchase some more!!

*Waves back, jumping up and down*  
Hi Diana!  😁  Thanks!

That would be really nice!  😜

7 hours ago, Rudy Umans said:

Thank you and yes SIlverEfex and the paint brush in PS for the digital stuff. Film is B/W film, Mainly Ilford, with very little post processing. Some Dodging and burning what you would do in the darkroom

Thanks for the reply Rudy. It was a bit "suspicious" that the quality of your monochromes were just out if this world (contrast, clean edges, etc.). It just didn't click in that you are shooting on film! Now it all makes sense. Last time I used Ilford was about 40 years ago when/if I could afford it : ). Some memories in the darkroom! Like realizing at 5 a.m. that I spent the night in there and "forgot" to sleep!

56 minutes ago, Blue Corner Studio said:

Thanks for the reply Rudy. It was a bit "suspicious" that the quality of your monochromes were just out if this world (contrast, clean edges, etc.). It just didn't click in that you are shooting on film! Now it all makes sense. Last time I used Ilford was about 40 years ago when/if I could afford it : ). Some memories in the darkroom! Like realizing at 5 a.m. that I spent the night in there and "forgot" to sleep!

Thanks Blue, but not all my monochromes are on film. Most are actually not at this point. As a matter of fact, some of my best b/w sellers were done with a little rx100 mk2.  (I get 60 inch prints out of that thing) I must say though that I haven't touched my DSLR in some time. Thinking about selling the damn thing for an M6, but If I do I think I will be sorry, so maybe not yet. lol. 

7 hours ago, Steven Tritton said:

@Matt Gibson that's amazing. How many files do you have uploaded on FAA?

Thousands! So the hit rate isn't very good, but sales values are worth the effort. Once you ell one image you tend to go on a bit of a roll and get a handful at a time.

17 hours ago, Milleflore Images said:

Hi Steve. Yes. That may have not been the best way to describe it, but here is some more info about the relationship.

https://www.microstockman.com/pixels-rebranding-fine-art-america/

You just go into the Behind the Scenes area in FAA and switch it on. From memory. I cant recall exactly what I did but it wasn't difficult. 

Apologies for my vagueness. Its 9.30pm here and a bit tired. Had a very busy day. 

Thanks for the link Annie. Hope you've had a good night's sleep now!

Matt, awesome to hear about your great success on FAA. 

I know I mentioned previously that there could be some potential fuss from customers if someone uploaded images to FAA which were also available as RM on a stock agency. Though that was just a wild guess of mine. I may be completely off the mark. Does anyone reckon that Alamy would be okay if you had RM photos for sale there and the same content available on POD sites?

8 hours ago, Rudy Umans said:

Thanks Blue, but not all my monochromes are on film. Most are actually not at this point. As a matter of fact, some of my best b/w sellers were done with a little rx100 mk2.  (I get 60 inch prints out of that thing) I must say though that I haven't touched my DSLR in some time. Thinking about selling the damn thing for an M6, but If I do I think I will be sorry, so maybe not yet. lol. 

: ). Don't throw it out. I gave away my old Nikon FA2 (that cost me a small fortune with the lenses back in 85, bought it in NewYork while visiting) and regretting it ever since. Still have an old Olympos. That little thing with the 50 mm standard lens did miracles : ). Not using it though. Just for memories sake. 

@Matt Gibson:

9 hours ago, Matt Gibson said:

FAA can be VERY lucrative, sales shown for last October, was an exceptional month but "normal" month is around $300 - $500

FFA Sales.jpg

Your art there is an ART, so your sales are more than deserved!

I've been there too, but it did not work for me ... :)

2 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Matt, awesome to hear about your great success on FAA. 

I know I mentioned previously that there could be some potential fuss from customers if someone uploaded images to FAA which were also available as RM on a stock agency. Though that was just a wild guess of mine. I may be completely off the mark. Does anyone reckon that Alamy would be okay if you had RM photos for sale there and the same content available on POD sites?

Different markets but I personally would not put RM up for POD sales, not worth the potential problems and losing the relationship with Alamy, let alone the legal implications.

People buying wall art are not the same people looking for RM licensing, but why take the risk. Easy life option always best for me!

4 minutes ago, Steven Tritton said:

How do you guys adjust your markup prices if indeed you do? I can go pretty quick but still quite time consuming. 

You can set default price for all you uploads in Generals/default setting

4 hours ago, Matt Gibson said:

Different markets but I personally would not put RM up for POD sales, not worth the potential problems and losing the relationship with Alamy, let alone the legal implications.

People buying wall art are not the same people looking for RM licensing, but why take the risk. Easy life option always best for me!

Interesting points. I guess I could ask Alamy and see if it is allowed or not. 

One of my RM images on Alamy happens to be a landscape photo that I shot on medium format film (6 x 7cm.) It has not sold through Alamy as yet. However, back in 2008, it won Second Prize at an art exhibition and also sold at the very same exhibition. It also won a competition in a photography publication. I actually wonder if that particular image would be more suitable on a POD site rather than a stock agency. Actually, I think I might do that....remove it from Alamy and upload it to a POD site like FAA. 

On 6/10/2020 at 11:21 AM, Rudy Umans said:

Two more things, it is my personal opinion that you have to be careful uploading the same images on Microstock and FAA  (POD in general). If buyers find out, you  might lose your credibility.

I am for 99% sure that most of my buyers there are commercial. In my case from horse racetracks to restaurants to offices

I don't understand? Stock is photos, FAA is POD. Why would having the same images on SS and FAA create a credibility problem?

Yup, free account (25), almost nothing that would ever be accepted on SS. Two sales in ? years, but I hardly expected much from 25 photos, especially since some of mine are fairly abstract.  https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/pete-klinger

On 6/10/2020 at 7:38 AM, Milleflore Images said:

But don't put any editorials on there, you may be asked to take them done. Keep it purely commercial.

Annie 

Really, I guess that kills my idea to activate Pixels.com and upload like mad? 😲 I mean over 80% of my photos are Editorial.

What's the problem or restriction? They are my photos and I had permission to take them.  

Yes there's a place to link to social accounts, which I wont do. I consider them social not "Spam My Friends" accounts. 🙂

Maybe that's another idea, create a second set of social accounts for photo promotions, then friend a bunch of photo editors from media? LOL