Steven Tritton

Fine Art America - Anyone rate it?

29 minutes ago, Steven Tritton said:

Seen a couple of people get some occasional good sales on FAA. 

Just checking others in the forum who find this site worth uploading/

Cheers

As far as I know, SS already has partnered with FAA (with our ports), read here: https://forums.submit.shutterstock.com/topic/97917-shutterstock-on-ffa/

12 minutes ago, Steven Tritton said:

Yeah read something about that from a quick search on the forum here. Even so a couple of people I know of signed up to FAA anyway.

Some have contributed to FAA  before SS made the deal (with dumping prices). The result was that the same image showed up with two different prices. I didn't follow up the outcome.

Of course you can sign up but you know FAA is a POD site (print on demand), not stock. You can put your own prices but you have to take care of everything else, advertisement, attractive description, interacting with other user and make your fan club...........................kinda paid Flickr. That is all I know.

I have two accounts there but sales are pretty much none existant (where I used to have good sales here) as you need to drive your own traffic. However, for those having a large following on say Instagram, the return can be very good and worth it. The latter is the conclusion I drew after having been in touch with some good selling contributors who all replied saying the same thing.

1 hour ago, Steven Tritton said:

Seen a couple of people get some occasional good sales on FAA. 

Just checking others in the forum who find this site worth uploading/

Cheers

Steven, I used to think that you had to drive your own sales like the others above, and listening to what others have said in the past, but I have recently found that is not necessarily true. 

Some friends of mine make very good sales there, so this year I decided to add a big chunk of my port there. Previously, I only had a couple of hundred there since 2015.

After uploading a big portion of my port there in the past few months I have gone from making 4 or 5 sales there a year to 4 or 5 sales a WEEK recently. And all I did was just upload my photos, with the same metadata that I use for stock agencies, nothing else. No additional advertising, no following others, no fan club stuff. 

Like everything else in this industry I have come to think that its all just a numbers game. The more you have on there, the more chances people will find it and buy it - especially if you have good metadata like we are trained to have for stock. And its really fascinating to see what photos people buy to put on various things. For example, some of my recent sales include: pumpkins on throw pillows, an Anzac day photo of a slouch hat on a baby onesie, cupcakes on beach towels, exercise equipment with a motivational quote as a canvas print, eggs on tote bags, and of course lots of greetings cards. A typewriter on a greeting card?? Yep, someone had mine printed. lol

But don't put any editorials on there, you may be asked to take them done. Keep it purely commercial. 

You have some great landscapes in your port and they could sell very well as art prints. 

They also have an attractive front-end now, which you can use as your website as well. That's the reason why I decided to put a big chunk of my port up there. I pay $30 a year now to FAA for a website, whereas before I used to pay $30 a month, and the POD sales are an extra benefit.

Do you know Steve Heap, author of Getting Starting in Microstock? Read his blog, he just posted an article about FAA there today. 

Here is mine (which is also attached to my contributor account here so it can drive sales both ways**) so you can see what the new front end looks like. https://milleflore-images.pixels.com/

Hope that helps,

cheers,

Annie 

** while I was uploading my pics to FAA, many, many times a photo I was uploading there and hadn't sold here for a while here, sold on here a day or so later. People seeing it and having a subscription here, deciding to buy the license here instead??? Maybe, who knows. But it happened too many times to be just a coincidence. 

Just now, Milleflore Images said:

They also have an attractive front-end now, which you can use as your website as well. That's the reason why I decided to use it. I pay $30 a year now to FAA for a website, whereas before I used to pay $30 a month, and the POD sales are an extra benefit.

Ive heard FAA being discussed many times here but Ive never really looked into it as an option. I am now considering POD sites. So looks like you have to pay to take part in FAA at least. I hope I'd sell enough over there to make a profit. 

Ah nice that there is a free option, Annie. I guess I could upload close to the maximum amount of photos allowed and see how sales go. If they sell well, then I could consider paying the yearly fee for the extra bonuses. 

And actually, I was curious if there would be potential issues with uploading editorial images to POD sites. Good that you answered that one already, Annie!

I Love FAA, but, I'm digital artist, not a photographer, so I face less in the way of competition.  I also tend to have have a different offering there than I do in microstock. So, I might be having more success there than others.  I've been on FAA since 2011 and made ~$40,000.00 there over the years.  You have a lot of control there and can set you own markups for every size of every product for each image.  You can start for free, but the limit is 30 images on sale.  You do get your own "website" if you pay the $30 annual fee (just to pimp mine: www.DanielEskridge.com ).

The past three months I've had a rather big bump in sales there...perhaps due to everyone being stuck at home.  That bump has started to come down a little, but that could also be that father's day is the last "gifting" holiday for a while and we are pretty much past the point of orders arriving by then.   

Thanks everyone and @Milleflore Images really appreciate your detailed reply, very helpful indeed. Also love your front page there! Yes know Steve Heap (Backyard Silver blog) and will refresh myself with his advice setting up.

Incidentally just a couple of days ago a lady emailed me and purchased one of my landscape photos (Tollgate Islands at Batemans Bay) direct, to print out as it reminded her of growing up there fishing with her dad. So after this it has revived my interest to perhaps test my images in the POD market. 

I uploaded the 25 free pics and have replaced some of them along the way as test. Very, very few visitors. But as Milleflore says it must surely be a numbers game - like most businesses in this awkward industry ...🤪

I've been on fineartamerica/pixels.com for maybe 5 1/2 years now. It's a place to host some of my images for my website and sell the occasional prints but not a significant source of income. The yearly fee pays for itself some years....sometimes it doesn't. Just my experience. I think those searching for an income stream to make up for SS's recent bag over the head will be deeply disappointed. 

I've made about $175 there over 3 years, and after subtracting out the $30 annual membership, that doesn't add up to much.  But I like that I get my own website, that I can customize use it mainly as a place to showcase my favorite images for friends and family, outside of the realm of stock photography.   

I had my biggest sale to date just the other day, from someone here in my own town, a 60 inch print!

https://fineartamerica.com/saleannouncement.html?id=268ed35e1228e790a67eb5149656be16

1 hour ago, oleschwander said:

I uploaded the 25 free pics and have replaced some of them along the way as test. Very, very few visitors. But as Milleflore says it must surely be a numbers game - like most businesses in this awkward industry ...🤪

I have had the maximum allowed 25 free (no paying account yet) photos there for about a year and I get 5-10 views a week, but never had a sale. my approach was, that if I can sell a couple there, it would pay for a membership. well. hasn't happened yet. there are about 4 regular visitors, if I swap an image or two (I do that once a week), they check it regularly, but that's not much. Annie could be right that this is also a "number game" though. but I just don't feel right to upload my regular "run of the mill" stock photos there, being called an "art" site. but that's just me. I am a bit more selective uploading there.

3 hours ago, Milleflore Images said:

Here is mine (which is also attached to my contributor account here so it can drive sales both ways**) so you can see what the new front end looks like. https://milleflore-images.pixels.com/

Fanclub or not Annie, you have a new follower there.

FAA is my home away from home and my main outlet. I don't direct people to my FAA site directly, I direct them to my Rudy Umans imaging website, but the purchase page there directs to FAA and Amazon. (www.rudyumans.com. I know! Shameless plug, but what is SS gonna do? Kick me out?) 

Like many other sites, FAA uses certain parameters to move you up in the search. I don't know all of those, but I do know some, and I know that sales moves you up faster and higher in the search than anything else. Sales triggers sales.  Other than that, also like everywhere else, keywords and good descriptions are key. 

Buyers on FAA also like generally speaking, clean images. My artsy pinhole and film stuff rarely sells. (I wish I wish) My lighthouses, Everglades pictures, industrial, and architecture on the other hand are doing well.

Two more things, it is my personal opinion that you have to be careful uploading the same images on Microstock and FAA  (POD in general). If buyers find out, you  might lose your credibility.

I am for 99% sure that most of my buyers there are commercial. In my case from horse racetracks to restaurants to offices

I have been with FAA since 2011

I was getting sales every month, last year I only got one sale so I have no idea how they work but I think that now there are millions of artists trying to sell there

11 hours ago, Rudy Umans said:

Two more things, it is my personal opinion that you have to be careful uploading the same images on Microstock and FAA  (POD in general). If buyers find out, you  might lose your credibility.

With regards to royalty free images (which can usually be purchased pretty cheaply anyway) I'm assuming a lot of buyers wouldn't really be fussed. I guess there would be more concerns and possible outrage when it comes to images that are available as Rights Managed on a stock agency and also up for sale on a POD site.

16 hours ago, Rudy Umans said:

Fanclub or not Annie, you have a new follower there.

FAA is my home away from home and my main outlet. I don't direct people to my FAA site directly, I direct them to my Rudy Umans imaging website, but the purchase page there directs to FAA and Amazon. (www.rudyumans.com. I know! Shameless plug, but what is SS gonna do? Kick me out?) 

Like many other sites, FAA uses certain parameters to move you up in the search. I don't know all of those, but I do know some, and I know that sales moves you up faster and higher in the search than anything else. Sales triggers sales.  Other than that, also like everywhere else, keywords and good descriptions are key. 

Buyers on FAA also like generally speaking, clean images. My artsy pinhole and film stuff rarely sells. (I wish I wish) My lighthouses, Everglades pictures, industrial, and architecture on the other hand are doing well.

"My artsy pinhole and film stuff" : ). a good one. you have an excellent collection at FAA Rudy! really impressive. Lucky for you to have access to such "commercially attractive" architecture! Now, ignore me if you feel that I am prying. By no means am I trying to drag trade secrets out of you (!), but are you using Silver Efex for you B & Ws? they look sharp. and definitale "clean" as you put it. cool job! 

4 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

With regards to royalty free images (which can usually be purchased pretty cheaply anyway) I'm assuming a lot of buyers wouldn't really be fussed. I guess there would be more concerns and possible outrage when it comes to images that are available as Rights Managed on a stock agency and also up for sale on a POD site.

I have a "photo friend" who sold an exotic bird photo at Alamy for a nice 3 digit sum in Euros. so I ask him: "nice! so you will now pull the photo from Shutterstock and iS, right?". he sas: "No!". he keept selling the same pic for 25 cents. Now only 10 I guess : )!! I would surely be p...ssed off, would I be in the buyer's shoes if I saw the same image available for 25 cents. 

20 hours ago, Daniel Eskridge said:

I Love FAA, but, I'm digital artist, not a photographer, so I face less in the way of competition.  I also tend to have have a different offering there than I do in microstock. So, I might be having more success there than others.  I've been on FAA since 2011 and made ~$40,000.00 there over the years.  You have a lot of control there and can set you own markups for every size of every product for each image.  You can start for free, but the limit is 30 images on sale.  You do get your own "website" if you pay the $30 annual fee (just to pimp mine: www.DanielEskridge.com ).

The past three months I've had a rather big bump in sales there...perhaps due to everyone being stuck at home.  That bump has started to come down a little, but that could also be that father's day is the last "gifting" holiday for a while and we are pretty much past the point of orders arriving by then.   

Stunning Daniel, I actually stopped uploading to FAA but I do have a site there and it has been a lovely source of canvas bags, yoga mats etc as presents lol.

I’ve had some nice sales there.  I must add more!

A few years ago, a greeting card company contacted me, they saw my pics on FAA.  They purchased two, directly from me, on a two year license for big $$$$.

I don’t have a premium account.

21 hours ago, Milleflore Images said:

No, you can use it for free, but you cant upload a lot of photos, Patrick. I cant remember how many now, and I don't think you can have the new pixels. com site. But you need to check. 

Is pixelsdotcom part of FAA? Their front-end site?