chrisontour84

SS vs AS vs DT performance comparison June and overall - which sites can you recommend?

Does somebody know by chance from experience at AS if I edit the keywords of a photo that already sold, does the algorithm also penalize you by dropping it back in the search ranking just like Shutterstock does? some of my photos there could use some TLC (fine tuning of keywords) but I am hesitant to touch them for this very reason. Thanks.

21 hours ago, Blue Corner Studio said:

What??? At Alamy to my knowledge if one image fails of any batch, then they decline the whole batch. Unless you worked out some special deal with them!? But they don't reject "just" a 100 and let 6900 pass. Never heard of such thing. And if you upload next times and the batch fails again, they put you in the penalty box for 2 weeks or something (a month? I dunno. Never been there).

Yea i believe thats how it worked, i also uploaded a bunch of them already - struggling with the fact that the images are not sorted by name so i have to manually click on them rather than Shift-click xx images at once. Is there no sort function for the 1000 picutres each!? 

Capture.jpg

1 hour ago, chrisontour84 said:

Yea i believe thats how it worked, i also uploaded a bunch of them already - struggling with the fact that the images are not sorted by name so i have to manually click on them rather than Shift-click xx images at once. Is there no sort function for the 1000 picutres each!? 

Capture.jpg

Wow! Then I stand corrected!! They accepted a 1000 photos from you in one shot!! You are brave, I give you that. Congrats. Not sure what sitting mechanism they have if any. I only upload 6-8-10 at a time (not any more cuz my stuff doesn't sell there!) and keyword them one by one. Sorry! What you can do however, if you have say 10 images of the same subject, you can highlight them all and eneter the pertaining info in one shot. If this helps!?  

Hey man, yea it was not just 1000, it was over 5000 in total (capped to 1000) and I just gave it a go to see how many of them will be accepted. Somehow they accepted all and there were just a few errors in total, maybe I got lucky and some new guy approved them haha :D It will take me a time to get them all on sale though, the highlight trick is what im doing now, but since they are not ordered by file name, I have to scroll through the list and pick the ones belonging to one shoot. Its a lot of time sadly hehe.

On 6/9/2020 at 5:11 AM, doodlart said:

In my case, sales are down on all platforms. It gives an impression as if microstock is breathing its last breath.

I think you have the answer, and the same personal conclusion that I've come to accept.

which sites can you recommend

None! That ship has sailed, the train left the station, too late. Or maybe, The Party is Over. 🙂

On 6/23/2020 at 8:02 AM, Blue Corner Studio said:

Does somebody know by chance from experience at AS if I edit the keywords of a photo that already sold, does the algorithm also penalize you by dropping it back in the search ranking just like Shutterstock does? some of my photos there could use some TLC (fine tuning of keywords) but I am hesitant to touch them for this very reason. Thanks.

Does SS do that? Do my images get re-ranked? I didn't know. I've never seen one of mine go up or drop back, when I edited keywords and titles. Can you explain and show me some way to verify that information? Where can I find out about FACTS about SS re-rank, that I should be aware of?

Adobe, (from Adobe provided information, not forum rumors) the rank is set and fixed, by the first 30 days. Change words all you want, no re-ranking after that. Although, we all know, adding better words, will not hurt if someone searches those new words. Only have 49 words Max., first ten words are most important.

Here, there and everywhere: "If you were looking for this image, would you use this word to find it?" Only use relevant keywords. "If you searched a word, would you expect to see this image?" "Is this something I'd expect to see for this search term."

So tell me, what causes a re-rank of an image here and how do I see that?

6 hours ago, chrisontour84 said:

Capture.jpg

curious. do you not upload with Metadata filled?   my image are up for sale immediately, and available at next server upload.  You can then use the search features to only get the ones you need for the optional additional info

2 hours ago, HodagMedia said:

Does SS do that? Do my images get re-ranked? I didn't know. I've never seen one of mine go up or drop back, when I edited keywords and titles. Can you explain and show me some way to verify that information? Where can I find out about FACTS about SS re-rank, that I should be aware of?

Adobe, (from Adobe provided information, not forum rumors) the rank is set and fixed, by the first 30 days. Change words all you want, no re-ranking after that. Although, we all know, adding better words, will not hurt if someone searches those new words. Only have 49 words Max., first ten words are most important.

Here, there and everywhere: "If you were looking for this image, would you use this word to find it?" Only use relevant keywords. "If you searched a word, would you expect to see this image?" "Is this something I'd expect to see for this search term."

So tell me, what causes a re-rank of an image here and how do I see that?

yes, the image (I only upload stills) does drop back several pages in search. I believe some said here as many as 2-3 pages (100/page). there are threads discussing this. just can't quote any. Thanks for the reply re. Dolby. I didn't know about the first 30 days "rule". good to know. so in a way if your image doesn't sell in 30 days, one may tweak the words a bit and if still no bite, one might as well delete and re-upload!? provided that one cares deeply about a particular image.

1 hour ago, jean-francois me said:

curious. do you not upload with Metadata filled?   my image are up for sale immediately, and available at next server upload.  You can then use the search features to only get the ones you need for the optional additional info

I used FTP for this one and my images only have Keywords in their medadata, nothing else. What I still have to do after uploading is choosing the top keywords and adding the categories. I am not sure if its worth adding the location field in the optional tab? 

8 minutes ago, chrisontour84 said:

I used FTP for this one and my images only have Keywords in their medadata, nothing else. What I still have to do after uploading is choosing the top keywords and adding the categories. I am not sure if its worth adding the location field in the optional tab? 

ah OK, so no Caption, which is why they are not for sale. Can't remember if the search feature works for images not on sale ...  The rest could be done later.  i go through batches.

note if you really have no other metadata, you might want to consider imputing the date, i've had a few hits and sales based on "Date Taken"

4 hours ago, Blue Corner Studio said:

yes, the image (I only upload stills) does drop back several pages in search. I believe some said here as many as 2-3 pages (100/page). there are threads discussing this. just can't quote any. Thanks for the reply re. Dolby. I didn't know about the first 30 days "rule". good to know. so in a way if your image doesn't sell in 30 days, one may tweak the words a bit and if still no bite, one might as well delete and re-upload!? provided that one cares deeply about a particular image.

I don't know, I don't try to game the search or delete and upload. The placement has to do with views and matches, all kinds of things, not as simple as did it get a sale.

On 6/9/2020 at 12:49 PM, chrisontour84 said:

Why arent they working for you? Pond5 i got a few sales but they are sadly really rare (around 200 vides uploaded only though as i focus on images) and I remember Alamy had a really time consuming system of uploading pics which in combination of not having many sales there, led me to stop uploading. Ill give it another go there though and see if things changed a bit!

After an initial QC check, it's easier on alamy than either SS or AS to get images accepted.They don't generate keywords though so you have to save all your keywords for images & copy / paste them to there. I have also not had any sales there from about 200 images. For the same number on SS have had 11 downloads but deactivated my port last wk.

On AS stock I've sold one image but had to take logos & signs out beforehand because they don't do editorial in the same way as here. Had about 70 uploaded there but added more since although had quite a few rejected for unknown tech reasons.

Tried DT recently (139 images)  but like AS they don't accept editorial as much. but accepted my images that they rejected on both SS & AS 

On 6/9/2020 at 8:05 AM, jean-francois me said:

Curious, what did you find time consuming about Alamy?  I actually find it the easiest as my images are up for sale straight through from upload with no intervention.  I then take an hour a week to refine all the submission, but to me they are the easiest since images are available without all the finagling other sites asks in there submit process.  

And i agree with Alex that your genre and approach aligns with Alamy customer base.  

Alamy is easy to up load to, I sell fewer images there but make more money there

7 hours ago, chrisontour84 said:

Ah yea the date taken is in there as well, thats standard meta data :) But no caption yep! Maybe I should use Lightroom to add that going forward too actually!

it just makes it easier, as it than goes automatically for sale after QC, and then you can do the "optional" stuff later. but since i focus on Alamy i probably curate my portfolio more than average with weekly review of searches

June 4 I registered with Alarmy. June 8 I registered with AS. At Alarmy my three photos have been approved after a few weeks. But all other photos have been in the queue for days.

Abdobe is also very slow. Some photos approved by Shutterstock have been disapproved here. At Shutterstock, I gave it another try, but now with the long wait I don't feel like it. Also difficult that they do not have editorial photos. They already rejected a doubtful photo.
I live five kilometers from the beach. I cycled there today and took pictures. Corona is totaly forgotten. It was incredibly busy. The village was full of bicycles and cars. I was only 100 meters out of the village, when I stumbled across a flock of sheep. They are nice pictures but editorial. Only when I put them on Alarmy is it winter before they are approved. Maybe when I write they are news photos??? 😎 At Alarmy I have to log in every time.
Pffff I miss the good old Shutterstock.
On my website I just reported the problems at Shutterstock.  

DSC01386.jpg

DSC01422.jpg

Just came in the third sale in June via Alamy.
In SS, June has a three-digit number of DLs.
The 3 sales at Alamy made more money than the more than 30 times (!) sales at Mr. O. 
Apparently the sellers are quite willing to pay a little more if the other conditions are perfect. 
Alamy seems to be doing a better job than SS.
In addition, they are probably not so outrageously greedy.  

The only disadvantage with Alamy is that I won't have the money in my account for a few months, but you can get used to that.  

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Hey guys, maybe you can help me out a bit with Adobe Stock.

Sales were picking up very nicely there and exactly last Monday, i have requested a payout.

On Tuesday, to my big surprise as this never happend to me before, my Account was frozen / shut down with the explanation of "There is a pending content claim that our team is currently investigating. "

I sent another mail to their support team on Wednesday to check how long this would take and until now, I have not received any further feedback. Its been a week now and I am missing out on a lot of Sales and motivation to upload more as I usually upload the same pics on multiple websites. With the best performing (Adobe) now not working, I dont really want to upload more.

anyone else had this problem and did it also take so long for you? If they found something and need to check it, that wouzld be fine but having my account locked for a week and not paying out my money seems very strange. I hope its not taking months now?! All the hard work of uploading pictures in the last years would have been for pretty much nothing.. 

Cheers,

Chris

On 6/26/2020 at 12:49 PM, geogif said:

Just came in the third sale in June via Alamy.
In SS, June has a three-digit number of DLs.
The 3 sales at Alamy made more money than the more than 30 times (!) sales at Mr. O. 
Apparently the sellers are quite willing to pay a little more if the other conditions are perfect. 
Alamy seems to be doing a better job than SS.
In addition, they are probably not so outrageously greedy.  

The only disadvantage with Alamy is that I won't have the money in my account for a few months, but you can get used to that.  

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Yeah, I just saw my first sale in a very long time on Alamy today and even with the 40 percent cut that's more than triple the money than I made with over 50 sales on SS.

Puts things in perspective.

2 hours ago, chrisontour84 said:

I sent another mail to their support team on Wednesday to check how long this would take and until now, I have not received any further feedback.

I can only say that they used to be very quick and nice to come up with a positive dialog. Maybe they have too much 'succes' right now ..?

2 hours ago, chrisontour84 said:

On Tuesday, to my big surprise as this never happend to me before, my Account was frozen / shut down with the explanation of "There is a pending content claim that our team is currently investigating. "

Your accout is still up and running. Seems like I could buy your images but I didn't go all the way ....

I had disabled my images for sale on SS a few weeks ago after hitting the $35 threshold and I have seen an increase in AS and DT. They have picked up some of the slack for sure and I do not have a huge number of images on either not like SS.