chrisontour84

SS vs AS vs DT performance comparison June and overall - which sites can you recommend?

I just looked at DT and they appear to have options to upload as jpegs or RAW files. The former would be preferable as like most photographers I don't like releasing RAW files but does it make any difference to downloads and payments?

8 hours ago, Rob Lavers LRPS said:

I just looked at DT and they appear to have options to upload as jpegs or RAW files. The former would be preferable as like most photographers I don't like releasing RAW files but does it make any difference to downloads and payments?

My guess is hardly : ). Mainly because for me I got a much larger portfolio at DT and despite of that the number of downloads is not even a 10% of what I used to get at Shutterstock! And about a 20% of what I get at iS. So not much traffic there from what I can see. Perhaps it will pick up now as SS loses contributors to DT!? And even when I do get downloads there, about half of the time it is the smallest possible size! So raw or jpeg, it ain't matter really.

P.s.: at DT they tell you what size the buyer downloaded. Again, it's often the small size. But your share is 35 cent minimum. And sometimes you get $2 even for a small size! Or inversely 35 cents for a large size download. I haven't figured out their payment system. And the largest i got there is $4. A few times. Nothing bigger. 

Finally managed to get into my old Alamy account!

And what a surprise, all time i only made 5 sales, but last year I had one picture selling for $90!!! wow.. imagine how many sales you need for that on SS nowadays lol.

Ill start uploading on Alamy again now :)

EDIT: Ops i just realised that the 90$ was the full price, after 30% was reduced for "Alamy Distribution Commission" and another 40% for "Distributor Commission" - so only 25$ was left for me in the end haha. Is it normal to have 2 reductions at once!?

Cheers,

Chris

1 hour ago, chrisontour84 said:

And what a surprise, all time i only made 5 sales, but last year I had one picture selling for $90!!! wow.. imagine how many sales you need for that on SS nowadays lol.

EDIT: Ops i just realised that the 90$ was the full price, after 30% was reduced for "Alamy Distribution Commission" and another 40% for "Distributor Commission" - so only 25$ was left for me in the end haha. Is it normal to have 2 reductions at once!?

Cheers,

Chris

It can be normal - if the image had sold through Alamy direct you would only have had a 60% reduction so you would have made $30.  As it sold through one of their "partner distributors" you get a total of 70% reduction

None, once this SS debacle is over they will ALL screw you it's not worth your time switching to other sites as the mass input on those sites will also decrease your possible sales.

5 hours ago, chrisontour84 said:

Cheers,

Chris

yes it happen often ... although most of the time  is 40%  to me and 60% for alamy

On 6/15/2020 at 10:54 AM, chrisontour84 said:

So looks like they or myself deleted my the Alamy account (with my money on it lol) and I had to recreate a new account starting from fresh. Now the first 3 images are in QC for 4 days already, do they have longer review times as well now?

for me it takes 2 days usually.. sometimes just 1 day

Alamy is just real bullshit

I have uploaded on two different batches with a very large time difference 3 and 1 pic. The first of those 2 uploads was on 9th of april. last week I got them rejected. and they not only rejected both batches in one go but also blocked my account for 10 days. Not to mention that the pics I have uploaded are uploaded on other plattforms.

The only thing why I am continuing on alamy is that I had one sale and I don't want to give it to them

On 6/9/2020 at 1:46 PM, Svarun said:

Most lucrative agency for me is AS, hands down.
SS comes second, slightly better than DT
DP is in 4th place.

Alamy and Pond5 simply doesen't work for me at the moment, I hope that will change soon.

I was under the impression that Pond5 only sells clips. but now it seems that they also accept (and sell!?) still images as well. based on your note above maybe it's a steep uphill to sell photos there? just wondering. presently I am at SS (slowly getting out), iS, DT (this is not working for me either), AS and Alamy (not working for me). can anyone recommend Pond5 for stills? tx.

19 hours ago, Marco Curaba said:

Alamy is just real bullshit

I have uploaded on two different batches with a very large time difference 3 and 1 pic. The first of those 2 uploads was on 9th of april. last week I got them rejected. and they not only rejected both batches in one go but also blocked my account for 10 days. Not to mention that the pics I have uploaded are uploaded on other platforms.

The only thing why I am continuing on alamy is that I had one sale and I don't want to give it to them

at Alamy you have to take uploads "easy". I never upload more than 6-8 batches at a time, cuz if one image of the batch fails, it brings down the whole batch and it's very hard to figure out which file(s) it was. or virtually impossible. but if you upload say maybe 4 and if it fails? well! you can re-upload them in smaller batches. or individually if you insist.  

2 hours ago, Blue Corner Studio said:

I was under the impression that Pond5 only sells clips. but now it seems that they also accept (and sell!?) still images as well. based on your note above maybe it's a steep uphill to sell photos there? just wondering. presently I am at SS (slowly getting out), iS, DT (this is not working for me either), AS and Alamy (not working for me). can anyone recommend Pond5 for stills? tx.

No agency sell nearly as good as Shutterstock. The other places are uphill (for images at least). Therefore it’s so sad so sad with the 10 cent strategy. 😢

21 hours ago, Marco Curaba said:

I have uploaded on two different batches with a very large time difference 3 and 1 pic. The first of those 2 uploads was on 9th of april. last week I got them rejected.

I don’t now if it’s the case but they don’t accept images from mobile phones.

48 minutes ago, oleschwander said:

I don’t now if it’s the case but they don’t accept images from mobile phones.

thanks Oleschwander! I don't shoot with cell phone. I was just curious if there are any other worthy sites to upload stills to. hat's all. probably not. besides, I pretty much lost all energy and willingness to upload really. so it was a bit hypothetical on my part.   

At the moment SS is the biggest microstock agency, but with the news of the SS destructive new pay structure spreading, not only the contributors but also the buyers will leave for other agencies, the situation will change. It takes a bit time.

Not to mention the money.
I sold the same identical foto yesterday and today to two different agencies. 
These are the screenshots of the sales. 

ss.JPG.e4c51ecfc4f3d8c460b0b6f4d84764bd.JPG

alamy.JPG.81d84695b0db809b0f56ad4f90f1f5e4.JPG

A good price and a short description of the buyer also means more appreciation. 
The 10 cent picture is considered an insult, the picture sold by a capable management saves the day. 

Edit

69.99 is buyer price. I get  only tiny piddy 40%. 

38 minutes ago, geogif said:

Not to mention the money.
I sold the same identical foto yesterday and today to two different agencies. 
These are the screenshots of the sales. 

ss.JPG.e4c51ecfc4f3d8c460b0b6f4d84764bd.JPG

alamy.JPG.81d84695b0db809b0f56ad4f90f1f5e4.JPG

A good price and a short description of the buyer also means more appreciation. 
The 10 cent picture is considered an insult, the picture sold by a capable management saves the day. 

Edit

69.99 is buyer price. I get  only tiny piddy 40%. 

I feel for you man! 40% cut is just awful : ). Try 2% at SS. Now we are takin'!!

But selling the photos at the competition can also be frustrating.
Here a result of a small agency after about 2 years.
When the PF reaches payout, my heirs can put a few flowers on my grave from the money earned. 

Unbenannt.JPG.acbf8bbf8539417f9a4525b90603b40a.JPG

Just reactivated my Alamy account and uploaded 7000 pictures at once. Since i had 3 stars rating in the old account, it only took 3 days to approve around 6900 of the 7000 pictureswith a few technical failures. Now I guess they still have to be approved or should they be live if it says that they are "on sale" ? I cant find some newly uploaded pictures in the "New" section, might also be a delay. But that would mean that they approved nearly all of my 7000 pictures? wow..

Anyway, its a pain a bit since you cant sort all images in a batch (max 1000 pics) by Name, so i always have to manually click all the images that belong to one batch to edit them :(

2 hours ago, chrisontour84 said:

Just reactivated my Alamy account and uploaded 7000 pictures at once. Since i had 3 stars rating in the old account, it only took 3 days to approve around 6900 of the 7000 pictureswith a few technical failures. Now I guess they still have to be approved or should they be live if it says that they are "on sale" ? I cant find some newly uploaded pictures in the "New" section, might also be a delay. But that would mean that they approved nearly all of my 7000 pictures? wow..

Anyway, its a pain a bit since you cant sort all images in a batch (max 1000 pics) by Name, so i always have to manually click all the images that belong to one batch to edit them :(

What??? At Alamy to my knowledge if one image fails of any batch, then they decline the whole batch. Unless you worked out some special deal with them!? But they don't reject "just" a 100 and let 6900 pass. Never heard of such thing. And if you upload next times and the batch fails again, they put you in the penalty box for 2 weeks or something (a month? I dunno. Never been there).

1 hour ago, Blue Corner Studio said:

At Alamy to my knowledge if one image fails of any batch, then they decline the whole batch.

Yes This is reason, why I only uplouad in small batches to Alamy

After your first submission has passed: 

• Check your submissions for technical faults before you submit 
  • Send us as many images as you like as often as you like 
  • We’ll just spot-check a few of your images per submission 
  • If the images we check are ok, your whole submission will pass 
  • If we find a problem with one image, your whole submission will fail 
  • You’ll receive a pass or fail email and we’ll update the submission in AIM 

5 minutes ago, geogif said:

Yes This is reason, why I only uplouad in small batches to Alamy

5 hours ago, geogif said:

But selling the photos at the competition can also be frustrating.
Here a result of a small agency after about 2 years.
When the PF reaches payout, my heirs can put a few flowers on my grave from the money earned. 

Unbenannt.JPG.acbf8bbf8539417f9a4525b90603b40a.JPG

But put it in your will that they make it a not too expensive bouquet : ). Otherwise they will have to supplement the price.