chrisontour84

SS vs AS vs DT performance comparison June and overall - which sites can you recommend?

1 hour ago, Blue Corner Studio said:

What can be Adobe-ed : ). That's a good one! Here is an other one: what could be de-SS-ed. I maintain the rights to that term : ). Like Trump tried to trademark "you are fired"! He wasn't a very pleasant character then. Not gonna finish the thought. 

i like de-SS-ed nice one.  "I have been de-SS-ing my better editorial to have them exclusive at AL" 

31 minutes ago, jean-francois me said:

i like de-SS-ed nice one.  "I have been de-SS-ing my better editorial to have them exclusive at AL" 

As long as AL works for those editorials if yours, I am all for it. I am just waiting for a reasonable size of portfolio to be accepted at AS and I will start deleting here. Every time I see a 10 cent sale, it just kills a little piece of my soul. So I can't take it very long. 

AdobeSt is better. Customer base different. Hooked into CC helps. Not adding to SS now. Saw .10 sale. Better than no cents but... let sit, maybe earns, maybe not. Moving on. Alamy eh, not selling. Closed it. IS/Getty - sold but ranges .07-less than dollar. Closed that too. Shifting gears. AdobeSt, maybe Fine Art America. 

4 hours ago, B V Nickel said:

AdobeSt is better. Customer base different. Hooked into CC helps. Not adding to SS now. Saw .10 sale. Better than no cents but... let sit, maybe earns, maybe not. Moving on. Alamy eh, not selling. Closed it. IS/Getty - sold but ranges .07-less than dollar. Closed that too. Shifting gears. AdobeSt, maybe Fine Art America. 

Well. iS on the surface with the 6 or 7 cent licenses do hurt to see! They do! but if you average them out in a month (or year), for me it ends up around 45 to 50 cents per DL. And I don't get that here with the 90 % sales of 10 cents! Not ever! So as much as it's easy to look down on those 6 cents individually, there are some $1.50s and $3 sales, etc. So at the end of the day average is more like 50! I would be curious of results of others in this department, but even without that I am pretty certain that in price per download from the contributors' point of view (!!) iS handily beats SS. It could even be double. But do your own math.

There is a certain irony to people saying about Alamy and big licences.  The reason I started uploading to SS was slightly over a year ago Alamy changed its payments from 50% to 40% - which was in effect a 20% pay cut.  Up till then I had been focusing exclusively on Alamy.  Now SS changes it payments and people are deciding to visit Alamy.

Those big licences at Alamy do look nice - but I have never had one.  I not only sell more at SS I have sold for higher amounts than I have seen at Alamy.  Not often or regular but that is my experience.

On 6/9/2020 at 2:19 PM, Steven Tritton said:

Just checked the last time i had a sale on Alamy was in March. I've over 770 files on the site. Can't ever get any traction with sales there and have only had one payout since starting in February 2019. 

I have grown a similar size portfolio there since November 2018 and had just three sales, so not even reached a payment threshold yet. My Adobe Stock portfolio is about half that but have a few more sales there. Last year I met Alamy people at The Photography Show who told me I needed a much larger port (in the thousands).

i don’t know how effective their traffic light system is, green for best exposure, amber for poor exposure, but my paltry sales were all from the amber category. I am rather flattered that my upload rating is five stars but what with the SS fiasco I am rapidly losing interest in stock photography altogether.

10 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

There is a certain irony to people saying about Alamy and big licences.  The reason I started uploading to SS was slightly over a year ago Alamy changed its payments from 50% to 40% - which was in effect a 20% pay cut.  Up till then I had been focusing exclusively on Alamy.  Now SS changes it payments and people are deciding to visit Alamy.

Those big licences at Alamy do look nice - but I have never had one.  I not only sell more at SS I have sold for higher amounts than I have seen at Alamy.  Not often or regular but that is my experience.

the 20% reduction was only because you uploaded here, so the comment is disingenuous. had you stayed only at Alamy there was no change 

38 minutes ago, jean-francois me said:

the 20% reduction 

The way, how the reduction from 50% to 40% was made, was quite different from the SS style.

The management made a video and talked to contributors.

Very different style.

Alamy has by far highest RPD. 
It is a pity , that the Number of sales are low...

5 hours ago, Rob Lavers LRPS said:

I have grown a similar size portfolio there since November 2018 and had just three sales, so not even reached a payment threshold yet. My Adobe Stock portfolio is about half that but have a few more sales there. Last year I met Alamy people at The Photography Show who told me I needed a much larger port (in the thousands).

i don’t know how effective their traffic light system is, green for best exposure, amber for poor exposure, but my paltry sales were all from the amber category. I am rather flattered that my upload rating is five stars but what with the SS fiasco I am rapidly losing interest in stock photography altogether.

I often wonder about their "traffic light" system and must conclude that it may be a bit bogus altogether. Unless you provide 43 keywords, it won't give you the green light! So in a way it forces you to keep adding keywords sometimes for no good reason. I also keep hearing (from various sources) that 35 to 38 is kinda' a sweet spot for key-wording. Then why would I keep adding just to satisfy some crazy AI? Pretty silly. Also if you just run out if ideas, you can actually duplicate keywords there, only to get the green light. But later the system may hold it against you in ranking. Just don't like their key-wording. Period. The only worse is iS : ). Absolutely hate it. To add the date part (I often have search for it). And their crazy way of underlying words just because you used lower case!? Simply awful to me. 

28 minutes ago, Blue Corner Studio said:

I often wonder about their "traffic light" system and must conclude that it may be a bit bogus altogether. Unless you provide 43 keywords, it won't give you the green light! So in a way it forces you to keep adding keywords sometimes for no good reason. I also keep hearing (from various sources) that 35 to 38 is kinda' a sweet spot for key-wording. Then why would I keep adding just to satisfy some crazy AI? Pretty silly. Also if you just run out if ideas, you can actually duplicate keywords there, only to get the green light. But later the system may hold it against you in ranking. Just don't like their key-wording. Period. The only worse is iS : ). Absolutely hate it. To add the date part (I often have search for it). And their crazy way of underlying words just because you used lower case!? Simply awful to me. 

keywording on IS is terrifiying. They have their own keywords which you quite often will not find. and even if you bring on the first part it will not show you all the words they have in the system. awful

55 minutes ago, geogif said:

The way, how the reduction from 50% to 40% was made, was quite different from the SS style.

Very different style.

and they also have respect for the contributors.  Even during the current situation they come and discuss the impact. they realise in the end it's a partnership.  

14 minutes ago, jean-francois me said:

and they also have respect for the contributors.  Even during the current situation they come and discuss the impact. they realise in the end it's a partnership.  

Yes, that I meant by style.

SS is styleless.

6 hours ago, Rob Lavers LRPS said:

I've had an increase of sales on Alamy in  the last 7/8 months, selling more in this period than I did since I joined  alamy in 2011. And almost all of them were images uploaded a 3/4  years ago. I don't know maybe it really helps a bigger portfolio but it could also be a matter of time.

My sales May 1-June 1          Port size               DL               Earnings

ss   400 images 40 vid        12          $32.25

as  400 images 20 vid         15          $40.01

ay   900 images                     1          $75  (They list as total amount before their cut of 50% on this sale)

I've unlicensed images here and will not be adding anything new because it's a waste of my time, sales at as have been getting better every month and at ay- sales are infrequent but pay a lot more--I've had a calendar sale, a few website sales and 1 to the New York Times😎 in the last few months...

On 6/9/2020 at 6:30 AM, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Your content seems well-suited for Alamy. Therefore, I would suggest to re-focus on them. 

Chris nice images. I agree Alex Alamy would do good for you. I sell far fewer images on Alamy but my gross dollars lifetime are the same as SS.

6 hours ago, Marco Curaba said:

keywording on IS is terrifiying. They have their own keywords which you quite often will not find. and even if you bring on the first part it will not show you all the words they have in the system. awful

Can't argue with that! I gave up on trying to match what they want. I leave about a 1/4 of the words underlined in red. And just hoping that my word may not be "ideal" to their vocabulary and computer, yet it may still be the same as what the customer use as well. Sc.ew their "dictionary". Not that I upload much there either. 

14 hours ago, jean-francois me said:

the 20% reduction was only because you uploaded here, so the comment is disingenuous. had you stayed only at Alamy there was no change 

I swapped $8.15 - the extra amount I would have made if I had gone exclusive for $123.84.  So pushing me to contribute elsewhere actually did me a favour.  Exclusivity was not financially sensible.

13 hours ago, geogif said:

Very different style.

I assure you at the time the contributors did nto think it was being done with style - the whole stop contributing, delete your port, quit stock, join other agencies, complain to management thing going on here now went on there then - with much attention paid to stated promises by the company they would not lower commission, and to their financial health with plenty of accusations of wanting a bigger slice of the pie even though they were already getting a decent chunk of it.

It is not how it is done but the fact that it is done - people are going to be upset angry etc and one of the responses is going to other agencies that have previously done the same thing.  People have mentioned thinking about joining istock even.  I mean I see everyone charging to adobe, adobe doing something similar in a couple of years, then everyone charging back here.  It is swapping beds in a sinking ship - the market forces are making supply of images larger than demand so prices will fall until demand is met - and will not rise until demand is not being met

14 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

I swapped $8.15 - the extra amount I would have made if I had gone exclusive for $123.84.  So pushing me to contribute elsewhere actually did me a favour.  Exclusivity was not financially sensible.

so you waited until the had a lower commission for non exclusive, to go non exclusive?

9 hours ago, jean-francois me said:

so you waited until the had a lower commission for non exclusive, to go non exclusive?

I was not technically exclusive - just not uploading anywhere else, and focusing only on the one place.  If they had not cut commission with the resulting whoha and fuss I probably would not have tried uploading elsewhere.  That occasion resulted in changing my behaviour in a way ultimately beneficial for  me, although that was probably not the intention of Alamy lol.

With this one I have kind of hit pause while I consider what to do next - I am considering doing more "creative" type work and increasing focus on adobestock, or looking at wirestock.  There does not seem to be any developments around new stock companies coming in - I am not hearing of any I am not already aware of.

So looks like they or myself deleted my the Alamy account (with my money on it lol) and I had to recreate a new account starting from fresh. Now the first 3 images are in QC for 4 days already, do they have longer review times as well now?