chrisontour84

SS vs AS vs DT performance comparison June and overall - which sites can you recommend?

Hey guys!

I read a lot about people seeing huge spikes in their Adobe stock and Dreamstime sales, however thats not really the case for me.

Are there any people here in this forum that see huge spikes in their sales on the other platforms since SS introduced their new earning tiers on June 1st?

Here are my June figures for each incl. June 8th:

Shutterstock: 33 downloads for 6.68$ in total.

Adobe Stock: 38 downloads for €24.65 in total.

Dreamstime: 2 downloads for 0.70$ in total. since I have no sales here, the recently 10% increase of their royalties rates doesn't help me :)

My overall performance on them since I started in 2018:

Shutterstock: 1,831.60$ in total with 5050 uploaded images and 3779 sales.

Adobe Stock: €806.32 in total with 4200 uploaded images and 1001 sales. (position 27100, do they have a ranking somehwere for that? Also, I should get more now that I have reached the 1000 download mark)

Dreamstime248.24$ in total with 1700 uploaded images.

I have to say that I spent most time uploading on SS and only check for rejections there to re-upload them with corrected images. I dont do that for AS (but should probably start, even though they seem very slow / too busy to approve new images now) and I only upload about 20% of my overall stock on Dreamstime as the upload process there takes too much time and you cant batch upload and only use templates instead which results in a lot of clicks unfortunately.

I wonder if I should spend more time on Dreamstime now as well to upload and if they will ever introduce a batch upload system? Or did I just miss it? :) 

Sites that I have used & your recommendation for new ones?

Those are the ones I have used so far on top of the 3 listed above:

- EyeEm
- Pond5
- GettyImages

On these ones, I have uploaded but then stopped since I barely got any sales on them:

- Alamy
- 500px
- 123RF

And last but not least, I just today applied for the following:

- Stocksy United
- Stockfresh

Can suggest any other good performing platform that I am not using yet?

Thanks so much guys! :) Hopefully microstock is not dead yet hehe.

Cheers,

Chris

I am still far from the point of having enough images at any agency to provide consistent data.  Up till now SS has provided easily the most monthly downloads and income but so far this month is totally dire.  I have a single sale here (yep 10c) and a single sale at DT.  Ignorning the money amount for me to get to the 9th with just 1 download  here is bad.  DT about average.  My adobe goes in fits and starts because a significant chunk of my work is editorial.

39 minutes ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Your content seems well-suited for Alamy. Therefore, I would suggest to re-focus on them. 

Haha, lets see - i requested a password reset but so far (after 20minutes) no mail came in. Not sure if they deactivated my Account since I did not use it anymore.

Most lucrative agency for me is AS, hands down.
SS comes second, slightly better than DT
DP is in 4th place.

Alamy and Pond5 simply doesen't work for me at the moment, I hope that will change soon.

Why arent they working for you? Pond5 i got a few sales but they are sadly really rare (around 200 vides uploaded only though as i focus on images) and I remember Alamy had a really time consuming system of uploading pics which in combination of not having many sales there, led me to stop uploading. Ill give it another go there though and see if things changed a bit!

12 minutes ago, chrisontour84 said:

Why arent they working for you? Pond5 i got a few sales but they are sadly really rare (around 200 vides uploaded only though as i focus on images) and I remember Alamy had a really time consuming system of uploading pics which in combination of not having many sales there, led me to stop uploading. Ill give it another go there though and see if things changed a bit!

Curious, what did you find time consuming about Alamy?  I actually find it the easiest as my images are up for sale straight through from upload with no intervention.  I then take an hour a week to refine all the submission, but to me they are the easiest since images are available without all the finagling other sites asks in there submit process.  

And i agree with Alex that your genre and approach aligns with Alamy customer base.  

28 minutes ago, chrisontour84 said:

Why arent they working for you?

Because of sales, those agencies sell next to nothing for me.
I have enough time to try maybe one or two more agencies, not sure which ones should I take tho

6 minutes ago, jean-francois me said:

yeah i have struggled with Croatia images at Alamy, and when they sell it's through Affiliate programs and you end up with 30% of extremely discounted fees, except for a couple event specific images so far

What I like most about Alamy is their measures tool. I searched for Croatia and can see how buyers are exactly looking for....

Alamy Measures.JPG

I have 450 at Alamy, and most of those have sold elsewhere, some several times. But not here. Not one single sale at Alamy. I can't bring myself to upload any more there. Clearly not my crowd hang out there : ) or I don't belong to their "A" list : ). 

9 minutes ago, Blue Corner Studio said:

I have 450 at Alamy, and most of those have sold elsewhere, some several times. But not here. Not one single sale at Alamy. I can't bring myself to upload any more there. Clearly not my crowd hang out there : ) or I don't belong to their "A" list : ). 

Hi ya I gave up after 3 years as sold nothing at all on that site..so am trying AS and DT (1st lot accepted) and taken my best commercial images off here as 10 cents is too low although had a OD for $1.32 (taken on my iPhone) yesterday after 2 at 10 cents ...am just leaving my editorials here though as need to reach my next payout level which I think will take a long time...

Maybe AS just clearing the backlog in terms of piled up files waiting for approval. In the past week, week and a half all I could get through was maybe one approval a day. And today suddenly 10 approved in one shot. I was half shocked : ). In a good way. Perhaps they also realize - just as DT does- that this is a good opportunity to get angry contributors over from another microsite, let alone if it's a clear competitor! Logic would dictate it anyhow!

57 minutes ago, Matylda Laurence said:

Hi ya I gave up after 3 years as sold nothing at all on that site..so am trying AS and DT (1st lot accepted) and taken my best commercial images off here as 10 cents is too low although had a OD for $1.32 (taken on my iPhone) yesterday after 2 at 10 cents ...am just leaving my editorials here though as need to reach my next payout level which I think will take a long time...

Cool port! Colorful, fresh, "dynamic" (if one can use such word with still images). If it makes no difference to you, I would put maybe twice as much time and effort to uploading at AS first, unless you do it all at the same time. I find uploading to DT the easiest, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is the most rewarding. In my case anyhow. And after a few weeks you could switch strategy, if you find that you didn't give enough credit to DT. Just my 2 cents worth (my bad! Make that 10 cents!).

1 hour ago, Blue Corner Studio said:

I would put maybe twice as much time and effort to uploading at AS first,

many thanks for your nice comment...and will take your advice re AS as I do have time to keyword and title as am doing this as a sort of top up extra? I tend to take phone images and videos (which I am still learning to do) as a reporter observer angle as to what might be trending and what I think might be useful as I tend to read online newspaper but particularly look at adverts and media selling that comes into my timelines...it is as you say worth a try doing it that way. Had 5 rejected on DT and 1 on AS as after the debacle here on SS am sorting out what they might take as commercial...so thank you again for taking time to comment...

4 hours ago, Steven Tritton said:

Just checked the last time i had a sale on Alamy was in March. I've over 770 files on the site. Can't ever get any traction with sales there and have only had one payout since starting in February 2019. 

where i'm at other end with Alamy outselling IS and SS over last 12 months, due to some large licences.  

being more editorial base, AS is pretty much dead for me.  

59 minutes ago, jean-francois me said:

where i'm at other end with Alamy outselling IS and SS over last 12 months, due to some large licences.  

Wow! Must feel great having those massive licenses at Ay! Then you are much less effected by this craziness here at SS. That's what they call "diversification!" at the stock market : ). Nicely done. 

1 hour ago, jean-francois me said:

I just reached 1000 downloads and that is allowing you to upload editorial content on AS as well :) Looking forward to that as it might lead to an even better performance (at least compared to SS)

20 minutes ago, Blue Corner Studio said:

Wow! Must feel great having those massive licenses at Ay! Then you are much less effected by this craziness here at SS. That's what they call "diversification!" at the stock market : ). Nicely done. 

except I'm getting affected by Covid19, as many of my newsy sales came from movement and events. so support base from SS would have been nice.   Trying to go through images see which one can be Adobe-ed with minimal efforts.

10 minutes ago, chrisontour84 said:

I just reached 1000 downloads and that is allowing you to upload editorial content on AS as well :) Looking forward to that as it might lead to an even better performance (at least compared to SS)

yeah, I never worked on my portfolio there, but discovered their definition of what they allow in commercial is much wider than logical, so hopefully that will boost my portfolio.

13 minutes ago, jean-francois me said:

except I'm getting affected by Covid19, as many of my newsy sales came from movement and events. so support base from SS would have been nice.   Trying to go through images see which one can be Adobe-ed with minimal efforts.

What can be Adobe-ed : ). That's a good one! Here is an other one: what could be de-SS-ed. I maintain the rights to that term : ). Like Trump tried to trademark "you are fired"! He wasn't a very pleasant character then. Not gonna finish the thought.