Sign in to follow this  
geogif

upload, upload, upload

So far with SS, I have been living out my preference for snapshots and quick pictures from the hip. This has led to the fact that I became a big fan of the upload, upload, upload motto.
But thanks to the new smart price policy of SS my motivation has decreased a little bit. In particular I have for 10 cents little desire to torture myself with English titles and KW. 
And so I now, as many decades ago, start to shoot "slow" photos more often. 
The tripod is now always with me, all automatic functions are switched off, on the smartphone the app for the hyperfocal distance is running and I looked at the test reports for my lenses to be able to choose the best aperture setting. 
Instead of 100 photos I now come home with 10 pictures.
And it is, in a different way, also a lot of fun.
So, from this point of view, the greedy behaviour of SS has certainly given me an added value. 
However, the pictures produced by this will probably not end up with SS. 
P.S.:
Before there are any misunderstandings:
Of course I will stay upload, upload, upload fan

One of the positive things to come out of the new earnings policy is that I don't obsessively check for sales anymore. Maybe just once a day, unlike once every few minutes like before. So more peace of mind.

Another positive outcome is that, I spend more time doing other things I enjoy doing in my free time, like writing and reading and watching movies, than working in Lightroom on stock photos. I still enjoy editing pictures, but now I do it because I like the process instead of making shots good enough for SS with crispy clean noise reduction.

1 hour ago, geogif said:

So far with SS, I have been living out my preference for snapshots and quick pictures from the hip. This has led to the fact that I became a big fan of the upload, upload, upload motto.
But thanks to the new smart price policy of SS my motivation has decreased a little bit. In particular I have for 10 cents little desire to torture myself with English titles and KW. 
And so I now, as many decades ago, start to shoot "slow" photos more often. 
The tripod is now always with me, all automatic functions are switched off, on the smartphone the app for the hyperfocal distance is running and I looked at the test reports for my lenses to be able to choose the best aperture setting. 
Instead of 100 photos I now come home with 10 pictures.
And it is, in a different way, also a lot of fun.
So, from this point of view, the greedy behaviour of SS has certainly given me an added value. 
However, the pictures produced by this will probably not end up with SS. 
P.S.:
Before there are any misunderstandings:
Of course I will stay upload, upload, upload fan

That is of course your decision entirely. However I see no point in complaining about the "greedy behaviour" of SS if you are then going to upload, upload, upload as you put it - no matter what microstock site you are talking about. 7 of my last sold files were for 10 cents each. The drip drip effect of 10 cent sales is going to turn a lot of people off uploading long-term. I haven't uploaded a file since June 1. The thing I am glad about is the fact that this price change has made me think about every single photograph I have and what to do with it.

41 minutes ago, balajisrinivasan said:

One of the positive things to come out of the new earnings policy is that I don't obsessively check for sales anymore. Maybe just once a day, unlike once every few minutes like before. So more peace of mind.

Another positive outcome is that, I spend more time doing other things I enjoy doing in my free time, like writing and reading and watching movies, than working in Lightroom on stock photos. I still enjoy editing pictures, but now I do it because I like the process instead of making shots good enough for SS with crispy clean noise reduction.

Hi all,

I had similar changes in mindset too. I no longer check the app that often as before since this pricing is a disgrace to our efforts. Taking a photo has always been fun for me since I love photography (and being the son of a professional photographer) but the behind the scenes is a total waste with this pricing. I can still edit with pleasure since I do enjoy creating beautiful works but for the key wording as well as writing explanations/texts is no longer fun especially if the outcome is just 10 cents mostly. So, along with the most (semi)professionals here, I'll still do it (less) but simply not for this company any longer. Why do I keep on making some people rich while I disgust the new policy taken by those guys? They'll earn millions of dollars / year and I'll spend hundreds of hours trying to reach the minimum threshold.

Last but least, I'm confident that in the long future, the pricing will be down to the single digits. As Warren Buffet said:

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently.".

Strongly suggest the new CEO of Shutterstock to read and understand some of Warren's books since they ruined the reputation in such a short time. Well done, keep up this way.

1 minute ago, EditheVideo said:

Hi all,

I had similar changes in mindset too. I no longer check the app that often as before since this pricing is a disgrace to our efforts. Taking a photo has always been fun for me since I love photography (and being the son of a professional photographer) but the behind the scenes is a total waste with this pricing. I can still edit with pleasure since I do enjoy creating beautiful works but for the key wording as well as writing explanations/texts is no longer fun especially if the outcome is just 10 cents mostly. So, along with the most (semi)professionals here, I'll still do it (less) but simply not for this company any longer. Why do I keep on making some people rich while I disgust the new policy taken by those guys? They'll earn millions of dollars / year and I'll spend hundreds of hours trying to reach the minimum threshold.

Last but least, I'm confident that in the long future, the pricing will be down to the single digits. As Warren Buffet said:

Strongly suggest the new CEO of Shutterstock to read and understand some of Warren's books since they ruined the reputation in such a short time. Well done, keep up this way.

Well said. It is only natural that many photographers will now stop serving this and other companies. Prior to this development I would never have sent photos to companies offering such low prices and I won't do so here either. It isn't a question of SS as such, and I do understand market pressures, but there is a point when things are taken too far.I am wondering if it is possible that the weight of photographs now available worldwide will bring microstock crashing down..... There are photos of demonstrations being sold for pennies where photographers lives were in danger.....surely that can't go on? If this episode has shown anything it is that the only power a photographer has nowadays is when he decides what to do with his work. 

2 hours ago, Ackab Photography said:

upload upload upload elsewhere fan

i'm also in Delete delete delete fan, to make my better editorial stuff exclusive at Alamy.  The 10 cents here not worth risking losing the 20% there,

52 minutes ago, jean-francois me said:

i'm also in Delete delete delete fan, to make my better editorial stuff exclusive at Alamy.  The 10 cents here not worth risking losing the 20% there,

Very valid point! 

5 hours ago, balajisrinivasan said:

Fully agree with you, enjoy life. Spending more than 15' on each file and not being sure to sell it one day for 0.10$. Enough, enjoy life. In comparison, I work occasionally for some small photo agency. Sometimes they sell twice a year, which makes 100$ on average. The same as 1,000 pictures on SS...

I did photography, but not so long for Shutterstock.
I then first read everything about stock sites. There is a  Dutch site  where important Stocksites are compared, so I registered for Shutterstock. There is now a response from me about Shutterstock's greedy behavior.
I didn't feel like shooting for a while.
I have now registered with Alarmy (English company, perhaps a bit more social. I saw in their forum was also spoken about the problems with Shuttersock) and with Adobe Stock (Does not depend only on the photos and has had a clear policy for years).
At Alarmy I would especially like to place the Editorial photos. My photos at both companies have yet to be approved.
I just went to our museum to buy an entrance ticket (valid for one year) to the dunes. I do every year, but now it has been closed for a long time because of the corona.
Only the photo-shooting did not progress, because the sun disappeared quickly. Part of the sky was blue and part of the sky with the sun was cloudy. ☹️
But I'm going to feel like taking pictures again. It is a kind of addiction. At least for the time being, no new photos will be for Shutterstock.

12 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

Me too. It's a way of life really even when at home. The bees in my garden have signed a petition to try to stop the mad woman from stalking them. I told them it's not a democracy and I own the flowers that they need access to. Ownership is power 🥀🐝

Yes. 👍  🙂

Yesterday I had photographed a new species of a bee in my  garden.  Gwynne's mining bee (Andrena bicolor). Family Mining Bees (Andrenidae). Not for a Stock site, but for my own website.  😏

andrena-bicolor-1-8-6-2020.jpg

I have never been in favour of the 'upload, upload,upload' credo made infamous by our most famous Texan contributor and let's be honest, it's well known that for an average contributor 70% of the images NEVER sell so basically uploading images that never sell is also a waste of your time. But I do think there is one thing to consider when stopping uploading and that is the reviewers. BTW I am NOT a reviewer. These guys also get paid a few cents/image reviewed. So completely stopping uploading also has influence on their jobs. While I do not upload as many photos/illlustrations as I used to I upload a few a week to keep my port 'active' and also provides some work for the reviewers who are also being effected by this SS decision. I would suggest if you still want to add images to your port, add 1 or 2 a week.

On 6/9/2020 at 4:38 AM, EditheVideo said:

They'll earn millions of dollars / year and I'll spend hundreds of hours trying to reach the minimum threshold.

With all respect regarding "They'll earn millions of dollars / year and I'll spend hundreds of hours trying to reach the minimum threshold"...that is neither here nor there. The C-suite in any company run a complex multinational business typically for a useful idea they created. If you do the same someday, you may make millions of dollars per year (same applies to me too). Realistically speaking, microstock photography is not the hobby to get into if your expectation from the start is to be a multimillionaire. I do it to have a few hundred extra per month to invest.