Sign in to follow this  
Willis The Willow

Trying to leave but they don't delete/deactivate my account

Hi all,

So I emailed in saying I wanted to discontinue my account and that they should delete my account and all its content. They wrote back giving me the two options of:

• Option 1: Opting out of sales will remove your content from online display, but keep your account active and ensure your earnings payout will be made when you reach the minimum payout level. You will find instructions on how to do so here.

• Option 2: Deactivate your account. This will remove access to your account and bars participation from our forums. You can usually reactivate in the future by contacting us.

I said I wanted option 2, and in addition I didn't want my account deactivated, I wanted it deleted along with all its content. That was a week ago, my account has obviously not been deactivated, let alone deleted. It seems SS is just willfully keeping my account active against my will. I've only just joined, and uploaded a little content, but this new pricing scheme has left me with zero interest in giving 90% of the profits to SS - what's the point?

Anyone else having problems? I'm considering contacting the Electronic Frontier Foundation to seek their advice. It's one thing to changing your plan to screw your contributors (it's a free market), it's another to make it impossible to leave and refuse to delete your account.

They do give 3 options here https://www.shutterstock.com/contributorsupport/articles/en_US/kbat02/How-do-I-deactivatedelete-my-contributor-account?q=close+account&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

Deleting your account
You have the right to access and correct, or delete your Personal Information and privacy preferences at any time. You can immediately change your profile here or request a deletion of your personal information from our privacy team - Privacy@shutterstock.com. Deleting your account will permanently remove your content from online display, bar access to your account and participation in our forums. You can find detailed information on our Privacy Policy.

If I were you, I would write an email to the one specified above.

Same here Willis, after more than a month they replied like a robot saying that I have to do the same process. I don't recomend Shutterstock to nobody.