• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They have won. You'll just have to hold on to that. It's gonna be two, maybe three more weeks of ShitStorm.  But then it'll be over. Already now there are again questions about noise and incom

I don't understand the numbers, Asia Travel. In shutterstock's 2019 annual report it says they sold "6+" images per second - screenshot in the appendix. I'm talking 190 million - not 650 million.

Trolling is asking to boycott SS while selling at IS BTW, these 3 are not more technology than SS, Apple sells phones that other companies produce and FB and Google are advertisement distributor

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, Boycott shutterstock said:

From now on i stop replying to people that are paid by Shutterstock to comment. Hope you're paid well for disturbing the conversations. 

You are making the game of SS with arguing with completly wrong fact and your own  biaised reality. Only stupid people use wrong argument for a real cause while there are 100 of valid ones...

41 minutes ago, jagoda said:

Does anyone know what's happening on SS partner sites? Did the images we block disappear from there?

It's in the TOS that Shutterstock will try to make all reasonable efforts to get it removed within 90 days

Content

• Shutterstock has the right to refuse to accept or to remove Content from the Shutterstock Websites for any reason. Shutterstock will remove Content if Shutterstock believes that such Content may (in Shutterstock's sole discretion) subject Shutterstock or any of its officers, managers, directors or employees to legal action or if the Content violates the TOS. Notwithstanding the foregoing and subject to Shutterstock's discretion, Content removed by you or opted out by you for any reason may be available for license to those customers that previously downloaded "comp" versions of the removed Content.
  • Shutterstock shall use reasonable efforts to cause Content removed from or opted out from Shutterstock Websites to be removed from the websites of any Shutterstock affiliates or partners (including co-branded websites) within ninety (90) days of the removal of the subject Content from the Shutterstock Websites.
  • Licenses issued by Shutterstock for any Content that is later removed from the Shutterstock Websites will remain in full force and effect in perpetuity.
7 hours ago, AsiaTravel said:

It's a myth that they make enormous profits... In 2019, SS made 20 mio USD of net profit out of 650 mio of sales, a net margin of 3%. Apple, FB or Google have a net profit margin between 20 and 30% (and have much lower valuation than SS)

I don't understand the numbers, Asia Travel.

In shutterstock's 2019 annual report it says they sold "6+" images per second - screenshot in the appendix. I'm talking 190 million - not 650 million. Or do you have other sources?

But regardless, Shutterstock has more images in its database than any other microstock agency. I would argue that this has been a long-term goal. The weapon of marketing. The argument to potential buyers: "Look, they have so many pictures - we're guaranteed to find what we need."

To get to this enormous amount of images, they let - excuse me, but from my point of view, that's what really happened - all kinds of crap through. No matter what the quality was. It didn't matter if the image had any commercial value.

So they clogged up their servers and their database. And now they complain that this amount of data generates too high costs in administration and storage. In the meantime, one has obviously noticed one's own mistakes, in which what was there many years ago returns - a review worthy of it's name. Probably all of their employees who have to spend hours - including overtime - for miserable pay, day after day, going through so much data that they dream of it every night.

The costs must be reduced. That is understandable for me. But: Highly decorated and highly paid people from the management are responsible for it. And are or were paid a lot of money for it.

And now the contributors shall pay for and compensate for the mistakes of the past. This is the perverse and reminds us of so many other examples from our economy. Bonuses for bank managers who led the banks into the bankruptcy. Who received a reward for the fact that the bank made a loss, the shareholders as well and who were responsible for the bankruptcies of many private individuals - keyword financial crisis 2008.

I see comparable structures here. A picture that repeats itself. Management must be paid outstandingly - in the sense of: "If we want top managers, we have to put a lot of money in their hands". In principle, I have nothing against this motto. But: If the management doesn't do a good job - and it doesn't matter whether the economic environment is good or not, then it's not doing a good job. And has not earned the money it gets.

I would never have had a problem with it if the e-mail of May 26 had said

"Dear Contriubutors,

in the Corona crisis and a highly competitive market, business has become difficult. We must - temporarily ask for your solidarity and will pay you 10% less royalties until the end of the year. We, for our part, are waiving 10% of our salaries for the same period."

I don't think we would have been happy about that either - but we would have understood and accepted it.

What's happening now is a moral, ethical mess - at a time when they are taking advantage - completely shamelessly - of the helplessness of the creative industry, which has been particularly hard hit by the crisis.

Preaching water and drinking Champagne.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-07 um 21.57.13.png

11 hours ago, Gtranquillity said:

It's in the TOS that Shutterstock will try to make all reasonable efforts to get it removed within 90 days

SO..Does anyone look at these SS partner sites and know their names? Is it possible to register there separately and independently of the SS? 
And what happens at BS ??? Also reduced commissions? I have a BS account but in June I haven't sold anything there 

From what I have seen of others who have been around a while, back in the day contributors probably more often could use their stock sales to travel and / or invest in better equipment and amass portfolios that produced a decent income that was worthwhile.  Clearly those days are gone regardless of this latest payments policy change. How any stock agency can expect contributors deliver fresh high quality content is beyond me for the pittance in return. 

31 minutes ago, jagoda said:

SO..Does anyone look at these SS partner sites and know their names? Is it possible to register there separately and independently of the SS? 
And what happens at BS ??? Also reduced commissions? I have a BS account but in June I haven't sold anything there 

This is old, so most likely not all relevant, but you can check it yourself here:

Edited to add the link I posted got stripped

On 6/7/2020 at 8:47 AM, geogif said:

They have won.
You'll just have to hold on to that.
It's gonna be two, maybe three more weeks of ShitStorm. 
But then it'll be over.
Already now there are again questions about noise and incomprehensible rejections. 
In 3 weeks the forum will be full with it. 
And neither the normal contributor nor the normal buyer will notice that the database of SS has shrunk by a few million. 
A few million is not really significant. 
In January there will be another uprising, an outcry of the long-time contributors. 
But then it'll be over, and the greedy SS can gild even more taps. 
And the contributors?
More and more will be people like me.
Amateur photographers who didn't think about the money at first when they put their pictures on the net. 
Who were just looking for a platform beyond Insta to take their pictures.
For new contributors, who will keep coming, the new payment structure will be completely normal.
They will be happy about every 10 cents sale and cry with happiness when a photo goes over the counter for 14 cents. 
SS (and I'm afraid the entire MS market) will now become completely the playground of hobby photographers, people like me. 
However, the newcomers will have a much harder time financing their equipment by selling pictures.
And in NY the corks will pop.
They have won.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

frankfurt-germany-october-2-2019-600w-15

I don't understand, why do you think that "a hobby photographer" means "a human without a self-dignity"? 

I would better share my photos for free on platforms like Visualhunt, Unsplash, etc, than to donate 85% of their earnings to greedy assholes. 

You "just want a platform to show off your photos", that's why you're still on SS? Why Adobe, Alamy, Depositphotos etc, those free platforms or Flickr can't be your platform? Why exactly the place you're being robbed and ridiculed?

13 minutes ago, Ikars said:

I would better share my photos for free on platforms like Visualhunt, Unsplash, etc, than to donate 85% of their earnings to greedy assholes. 

Hate to break it to you but Unsplash and the free stock platforms are making a ton of money off your photos without paying you anything. 

Big corporations take your pictures off Unsplash and make a ton of money without paying you anything.

If you're making an argument against the new earnings system of SS, Unsplash would be the worst example of an alternative because there, you and your work are being exploited without giving you a dime or, hell, even a credit.

6 minutes ago, balajisrinivasan said:

Hate to break it to you but Unsplash and the free stock platforms are making a ton of money off your photos without paying you anything. 

Big corporations take your pictures off Unsplash and make a ton of money without paying you anything.

If you're making an argument against the new earnings system of SS, Unsplash would be the worst example of an alternative because there, you and your work are being exploited without giving you a dime or, hell, even a credit.

UNsplash most surely makes much less money (how they earn it, by advertisements?) at the expense of photographers, than SS. So it's much less of a robbery. But I don't advertise these platforms, have never uploaded photos to them. I just point out how ridiculous is the argument: "I upload to stock because I want the platform to show off my photos..."  Jeez. Make your own website, put your photos on social network galleries, etc.

1 hour ago, Ikars said:

I don't understand, why do you think that "a hobby photographer" means "a human without a self-dignity"? 

You "just want a platform to show off your photos", that's why you're still on SS? Why Adobe, Alamy, Depositphotos etc, those free platforms or Flickr can't be your platform? Why exactly the place you're being robbed and ridiculed?

Does anyone here honestly believe that companies like unsplash
- manage over 1 million images
- Provide memory space for this
- Create API interfaces
and so on,
without having a high degree of economic interest in it???

The owners use the images to generate traffic for their other companies. The contributors thus contribute to the prosperity of the owners.

18 images are downloaded per second at Unsplash - three times as many as at shutterstock. That destroys the market.

By the way, it's like that there: All contributors are completely responsible for what they upload there. If there are copyright or trademark problems, the contributors have to take the blame themselves. They don't have a department that takes care of such things.

45 minutes ago, Ikars said:

on't understand, why do you think that "a hobby photographer" means "a human without a self-dignity"? 

Where did you read that?

The point is that (almost) every normal hobby costs money.
Often even very much money.
Whether you do sports as a hobby, whether you listen to old records or even if you collect stamps or put a model railway in your cellar, it costs money.
Everyone who pursues a hobby knows that. 
And nobody feels his dignity has been violated because of it. 
It is very rare and only possible in exceptional cases with exceptional talent to earn money with the hobby. 

After a long break, I rediscovered the hobby of my youth, photography, a few years ago. 
At that time I did not even know that MS existed. 
I then came to MS via a photo community. 
And found it exciting and motivating to get dollars instead of "likes". 
Amazingly many dollars, in the meantime there is not only enough for the equipment, but also for a lot of additional costs. 
Of course, if I would calculate my hobby as "work", the time spent would not be worth it.
But for a hobby this comparison is inadmissible. 
I have to draw the comparison to other hobbies.
The other hobbies cost money, but do not bring any. 
And exactly this comparison will be made by those who encounter SS after us and experience only this new price structure. 
After some months with 0,10-Subs they can empty their Paypal account and buy a new memory card.
And they will say: "Great! My hobby recovers its costs by itself! This is great!"
That's the future.
And that's why SS won. 
And the others, including AS, Alamy and DT, will follow in a few months

What really bothers me at the moment is not my small merit.
It's the outrageously high profit margin the SS is pocketing. 
The ratio is wrong, and that is indeed hurtful. 

But the "normal amateur photographer", who is new to the SS, won't notice this.
He will only notice that he suddenly has a new memory card.
And he's happy. 

2 hours ago, jagoda said:

thx but sorry.. I can't see the link :(

Yes I know, that's what I tried to explain with the edit to add part. SS stripped it so it does not show (the link was changed to "don't advertise other microstock......" so it is not showing. I cannot delete my post, despite it's useless without the link.

1 hour ago, geogif said:

Where did you read that?

The point is that (almost) every normal hobby costs money.
Often even very much money.
Whether you do sports as a hobby, whether you listen to old records or even if you collect stamps or put a model railway in your cellar, it costs money.
Everyone who pursues a hobby knows that. 
And nobody feels his dignity has been violated because of it. 
It is very rare and only possible in exceptional cases with exceptional talent to earn money with the hobby. 

After a long break, I rediscovered the hobby of my youth, photography, a few years ago. 
At that time I did not even know that MS existed. 
I then came to MS via a photo community. 
And found it exciting and motivating to get dollars instead of "likes". 
Amazingly many dollars, in the meantime there is not only enough for the equipment, but also for a lot of additional costs. 
Of course, if I would calculate my hobby as "work", the time spent would not be worth it.
But for a hobby this comparison is inadmissible. 
I have to draw the comparison to other hobbies.
The other hobbies cost money, but do not bring any. 
And exactly this comparison will be made by those who encounter SS after us and experience only this new price structure. 
After some months with 0,10-Subs they can empty their Paypal account and buy a new memory card.
And they will say: "Great! My hobby recovers its costs by itself! This is great!"
That's the future.
And that's why SS won. 
And the others, including AS, Alamy and DT, will follow in a few months

What really bothers me at the moment is not my small merit.
It's the outrageously high profit margin the SS is pocketing. 
The ratio is wrong, and that is indeed hurtful. 

But the "normal amateur photographer", who is new to the SS, won't notice this.
He will only notice that he suddenly has a new memory card.
And he's happy. 

This is the way I see it and how I expect it to go from here on as well.
The bold part is why I disabled my portfolio on June 2nd. It's not how much I get, but how much they take. Writing a letter to us stating how hard it is for businesses due to covid19, incl. shutterstock, and they need our support during these harsh times around, while at the same time writing a shareholder rapport stating financially they are well positioned with $296 in cash and no debts and $3.42 per download (I read elsewhere there's 6+ DL's per SECOND) just didn't do it for me.

4 hours ago, Ikars said:

Excuse me, I don't regard myself as a hobbyist. Otherwise I wouldn't be this angry.

it was/is not a matter of winning or losing.  That can only happen when there is a fight, a debate, or something like that and there never was one.

only a bunch of people throwing a temper tantrum and some people leaving. As I said when this all started, SS counted on that and they don't care. Hell, they let million  dollar man Yuri Arcurs go a number of years back without breaking a sweat. That should tell people something

Take it or leave it is the name of the game. That's what they told Yuri and that's what they tell us.

Don't let the door hit you in the @$$ is their attitude

7 minutes ago, Amir Bajric said:

why didn't you freeze the portfolio, why do you still feed them? why?

I'm pretty sure it's my decision whether I

keep uploading,
wait,
freeze or
delete. 

Mine. Not yours. 

For now and until the end of the year, I prefer the "wait" option. I won't upload any more stuff to the SS until then, but I'll keep the rest running. 
It'll take a few months before there's enough data to make an informed decision. 
Besides, didn't you read that I'm an amateur photographer?
I already put pictures (for 0 Cent) into the net when I didn't know the word "microstock". 
And I am 100% sure that MS will become completely uninteresting for professional photographers in the near future as a source of money. 
I am (unfortunately) also convinced that the other agencies will follow, at the latest when the Corona crisis is under control. 
I can understand the professionals who are now deleting or freezing their account.
In the end, they are taking their fate into their own hands and perhaps returning to what photographers used to be all about. 
MS, not only SS, will develop into a flawless amateur market. 
With amateur payment.