chyworks

The variety of SUB and ODD sales

$0.98 level 4 ODD

The amount made me mad, but I learned there is a country called Reunion somewhere out there in the Indian Ocean.

Added: Good Karma intervened - got a $4.35 ODD right after this earlier low one. Now, if I could just get more of those...

1 hour ago, Milo J said:

$0.98 level 4 ODD

The amount made me mad, but I learned there is a country called Reunion somewhere out there in the Indian Ocean.

La Réunion is a french island close to Madagascar... 

Hi,

@chyworks I got a new subs: 0.18 from Canada (level 3)...

As it's the end of the month I was thinking of doing a small overview (level 3):

• ODDs:

0.40 *2 😱

0.97 *1 😭

1.85 *1

2.29 *3 😀

2.45 *1 👍

• Subs: 

0.10 *31 😱

0.11 *4 😭

0.12 *9 😭

0.13 *2 😭

0.14 *5 😭

0.17 * 3 😭

0.18 *1 😭

0.27 *1

0.41 *1 😀

0.50 *1 😀

0.73 *1 😀

1.06 *1 👍

So we can clearly see that I have far more "low" subs than the "high" ones and those do not compensate for the "low"... Even after a month I see some new stuff (0.18 today). Hope this will also help to figure out a pattern or where the buyers are or what kind of subs/pack they've got...

18 hours ago, Cryptographer said:

New record low Level 5 ODD:

$0.52

That's one record "low" sale indeed, @Cryptographer 🥶

17 hours ago, Awana JF said:

So we can clearly see that I have far more "low" subs than the "high" ones and those do not compensate for the "low"... Even after a month I see some new stuff (0.18 today). Hope this will also help to figure out a pattern or where the buyers are or what kind of subs/pack they've got...

Thanks for sharing @Awana JF

To summarize:

You loss 53.3% ($10.56) in sub and 34.8% ($6.90) in ODD under the new earning system,  here's the breakdown:

Sub Sales
$9.24 is what you earned in sub for 60 DLs, if we do total earning / total download, your average earning per download would be 0.154 cents.
Comparison
NEW  0.154 x 60 DLs = $9.24
OLD   0.33 x 60 DLs = $19.80

ODD Sales
$12.94 is what you earned in sub for 8 DLs, if we do total earning / total download = average earning per download would be $1.618
Comparison
NEW $1.618 x 8 DLs = $12.94
OLD  $2.48 x 8 DLs = $19.84 (This i am not sure whether you will also get $1.07 frequently in photo, it's a standard ODD for vector under the old system meaning I only get  $2.85 as level 5)

@Wilm Ihlenfeld was spot on despite the number of downloads and the mix in values, we will still be seeing red in this regard, it's only to what extend.

Ps: It took some times for me to worked this out so clearly i am not that good in math, if there's any miscalculation, please feel free to correct me.

24 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

I shall just hang around hoping for the occasional breadcrumbs to be thrown (in the form of SODs or ELs).

You don't know that. You only need one lucky image that makes a big splash to through you at the highest tier with dl-s numbers in a short time.

Good examples of this happening were some successful covid-9 images, for those who acted at the beginning of the pandemic (maybe now too, I don't know).

I've lost that ship too by laziness and by listening to some opinions that it would not be a decent idea..

1 hour ago, Studio 2 said:

@Wilm Ihlenfeld (and @geogif) are in the naughty corner at the moment. They may be let out again to take part in the forum if they behave like good children and don't criticise Sstock.  It looks like Wilm may return early July.  Don't know about Geogif.

My sales like for like are down at least 50%.  For the lowly tier people like me it's disastrous.  I shall just hang around hoping for the occasional breadcrumbs to be thrown (in the form of SODs or ELs).  Sad times, especially for those relying on the income 😞

I know... it’s shocking! Whatever Geogif or Wilm said it couldn’t be heinous crime! And Wilm is such rational guy i have much respect for and Is always say things based on facts.

Debbie one door closes another door will open. It may no longer be sustainable for most of us regardless of what tier we are in and it’s not a sin to treat it just like a hobby which still will bring in a penny here or a couple of dollars there . So hang around, who knows your SODs and ELs may come sooner or later as long as you leave the door open. ☺️

3 hours ago, chyworks said:

Thanks for sharing @Awana JF

To summarize:

You loss 53.3% ($10.56) in sub and 34.8% ($6.90) in ODD under the new earning system,  here's the breakdown:

Sub Sales
$9.24 is what you earned in sub for 60 DLs, if we do total earning / total download, your average earning per download would be 0.154 cents.
Comparison
NEW  0.154 x 60 DLs = $9.24
OLD   0.33 x 60 DLs = $19.80

ODD Sales
$12.94 is what you earned in sub for 8 DLs, if we do total earning / total download = average earning per download would be $1.618
Comparison
NEW $1.618 x 8 DLs = $12.94
OLD  $2.48 x 8 DLs = $19.84

Well actually it's about 25% because I'm still under 500 USD so I had .25 sub and 1.88 odd. 

Because I had a good number of downloads and few ODD/SOD, my month is quite good but I know that It could have been better. 

The new guys like me are not the one that are going to loose the more money but the one that contributes for years and were use to have 0.33, 0.36 and 0.38 subs are...

Still think that SS should do a better share (25% as a minimum, going up to 50% for level 6) and also share the "unsold" from a pack to the contributor that had a download on that pack...

8 minutes ago, chyworks said:

My bad for presuming you were on 25% Under 500 dollars was 20% earning in old system if not mistaken?)

With that said, still glad to hear it working out positively for you in June @Awana JF

Well I don't remember if it was 20 or 25% for ELs and SOD before. You are probably right!

Anyway I had 4 SOD this month: 0.66, 0.65, 0.52, 0.25 so it doesn't make much of a difference with this kind of low SOD... 

I won't say it's positive but It is not too negative... 

Thank for the great work you did in this post! Are you going to continue in July?

Hi Folks,

I was released from verbal prison today.

Level 5 SODs

Facts and figures:

June is over and I have calculated - for the period from June 03 to 30***.

subs:
- 152 pcs. for 0.10
- 313 pcs. for ø 0,29
- total: 465 pieces for ø 0,23
- subs according to old model: 0.38
- Loss: 39%.

ODs
- 36 pcs. for ø 3.16
- ODs according to old model: 2.85
- Profit: 11%.

Compared to the old model, I have a combined loss of 22% for these two license types. 

The above-average Enhanced and SOD revenues make up for this. Before I would have got 30%, now it is 35%.

This results in a total loss for this month incl. Enhanced and SODs from June 3rd: minus 6%.

***I left out 01. and 02. June, because the numbers there were not clear yet. On 01. June the old system was still used and on 02. June the subs were wrongly calculated as SODs.

This means for me as a level 5 contributor: My losses will level off at approx. 15% in an average month even though I've reached a higher level. I do not have the high Enhanced and SODs regularly. If I add the time I need to reach level 5 again in the new year, the losses will be significantly higher. I assume that there are also losses with level 6 contributors. If I pretend that I am level 6 and calculate 40% for me with the Enhanced and SODs, I get exactly 0% compared to the old system. If I include the ODs in the calculation, it might have been a plus of 2% to 4% - but that cannot be calculated reliably.

Another Level 5 contributor has shown their figures elsewhere:
Compared to May it's down 27% and compared to April it's down 47%, although it had slightly more downloads in June than in the two previous months. Based on almost 500 downloads.

A third Level 5 contributor has a plus of 8%. However, if he deducted a very high SOD, it would have been a minus of 15%. Based on just over 1000 downloads.

Conclusion: Shutterstock has calculated well. The "higher revenue potential" is and remains a marketing phrase that has nothing to do with reality.