I have an image that was taken in the UK in the early 2000's. It features several individuals in a public park. I think it is a great photo and let's say for the sake of argument that it is technically sharp and would get accepted. I am trying to determine a few things. 1) Is there a way to share this photo with a person or group that could help provide advice without the photo getting leaked? 2) Should I just upload it and see what happens (I don't have a release for anyone). 3) Is there any reason ethically that I should not post photos from the past or present in public venues where I have no way of getting releases from people. I am new to this, so not sure how to handle that. Thanks. 

There is no problem submitting photos of people in public, BUT, they must be submitted as Editorial.  Whether it is ethical is a question for your own conscience. 

Here's a link that explains how to submit editorial images. 

https://www.shutterstock.com/contributorsupport/articles/en_US/kbat02/How-do-I-submit-editorial-content?l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

aminkorea,

I see, without a proper release form, it would be editorial. What if there are too many people to get releases from (like a crowd), they would reject it if you don't submit as editorial or don't have the release forms? Thanks for the help on ethics. I will think about that. Great link thanks. 

So, what you do think about this scenario, I have lots of images that I would like to ask people for advice on, if there is no sensitive content, but I don't have release forms, I can submit them to the forum without an issue? E.g. I have a picture of a person or building that might require a release, but I need some technical advice before I submit. Can I submit to the forum without consequence? I am not technically selling the photo yet, but I am distributing it into the world. 

One final thought, does it matter where the photo was taken or is that something I can count on the reviewer to know? I will read the full article to see if I can find that answer, but thought I would throw this out there. I am looking at the example image and editorial description to understand it fully. 

Thanks, 

Jason 

aminkorea,

That comes with the territory (the internet). Copyright/theft is always a concern, but I am more interested in rules in general. Posting in the forum vs submission. I think I have what I need and I can read the forums rules again just to be sure. That is a great link and is exactly what I am looking for! Thanks.