Customer has bought picture, but the money has not been credited to the account

Hi, guys,

can it be that the money for the purchases will be credited to the account later?

A customer of Shutterstock contacted me because he wanted to have more variations of a vector file. I created these variants and uploaded them to Shutterstock. I asked him to buy a variant in advance so I could see how much money would arrive after the purchase. 
Now the customer claims that he bought the picture, but I didn't credit it. As proof he showed me the vector graphic. 

Is that normal? Thanks for your help.

7 minutes ago, Gtranquillity said:

Did you set your license agreement to NO by any chance?

No, I did not. I first want to see what the new regulations really mean for me, only then will I make my decision. Things are not looking good right now. But that's not what this is about. I wonder why a customer of Shutterstock was able to buy a file from me, but I didn't receive this revenue. Could this be a technical error?

1 hour ago, Alexander Limbach said:

No, I did not. I first want to see what the new regulations really mean for me, only then will I make my decision. Things are not looking good right now. But that's not what this is about. I wonder why a customer of Shutterstock was able to buy a file from me, but I didn't receive this revenue. Could this be a technical error?

I understand that, I only asked because once the license agreement is set to NO, no new sale come in

6 hours ago, Alexander Limbach said:

Hi, guys,

can it be that the money for the purchases will be credited to the account later?

A customer of Shutterstock contacted me because he wanted to have more variations of a vector file. I created these variants and uploaded them to Shutterstock. I asked him to buy a variant in advance so I could see how much money would arrive after the purchase. 
Now the customer claims that he bought the picture, but I didn't credit it. As proof he showed me the vector graphic. 

what ever made you think they reported instantly.  Nowhere was this ever stated contractually.  Which makes the recent change even worse, Shutterstock was free to delay reporting to increase their cut.  I find totally suspicious that with little change in the world this week, my downloads are at twice the rate as last month.

2 hours ago, Gtranquillity said:

I understand that, I only asked because once the license agreement is set to NO, no new sale come in

Even *if* so: Obviously, this takes some time (usually up to 72 hours) to go into effect. But as long as images are still searchable *and* can be purchased by customers, the copyright holder should also get paid accordingly. Shutterstock can't just use this to their advantage and keep the difference.

3 hours ago, AKaiser said:

Even *if* so: Obviously, this takes some time (usually up to 72 hours) to go into effect. But as long as images are still searchable *and* can be purchased by customers, the copyright holder should also get paid accordingly. Shutterstock can't just use this to their advantage and keep the difference.

Exactly! That's the point I was trying to make in the topic SS removed minutes after. In another topic I said I hoped SS would chime in and clear the confusion, but unfortunately this did not happen.

13 hours ago, Alexander Limbach said:

Hi, guys,

Yes, it can happen.
One of my photos is offered as a puzzle through an online puzzle shop. It is clearly said there that the picture comes from Shutterstock. One of my friends bought this puzzle. He got it immediately. But the picture itself was shown as "downloaded" (SOD) in my account exactly one month later.
So, I think they have a special contract with the puzzle store and the download is shown when the bill is paid.
Maybe your case is similar.

1 hour ago, Thiago B Trevisan said:

Some clients have a special agreement. A few months ago I sent an e-mail to Compliance after seeing one of my photos in DailyMail and showing 0 sales here (not available anywhere else at the time) and received a reply saying they pay only once per month. Granted, about 10 days latter the sale was reported. 

did they tell you an what basis you would be paid, the schedule the day of the download, or the lower one when SS decides to report it? @Kate Shutterstock Can you address the policy on this, Thanks?

Well, the client assured me that he has a subscription package at Shutterstock. And he showed me the vector file of the image, and at the time this image was only online at Shutterstock. And as far as I know, you can only get a vector graphic after buying the picture. I have no more evidence. I don't want to go into this with the customer. I just don't think it's ok that a customer can already use a graphic and I haven't seen any money yet. Surely this is only a technical problem. But unfortunately, more and more trust is lost. How did the customer get the vector file? Now I have produced the rest of the desired variants, but I don't dare to upload them to Shutterstock - why should I, if the money might not reach me anyway?

19 minutes ago, Alexander Limbach said:

Well, the client assured me that he has a subscription package at Shutterstock. And he showed me the vector file of the image, and at the time this image was only online at Shutterstock. And as far as I know, you can only get a vector graphic after buying the picture. I have no more evidence. I don't want to go into this with the customer. I just don't think it's ok that a customer can already use a graphic and I haven't seen any money yet. Surely this is only a technical problem. But unfortunately, more and more trust is lost. How did the customer get the vector file? Now I have produced the rest of the desired variants, but I don't dare to upload them to Shutterstock - why should I, if the money might not reach me anyway?

that makes no sense.  Many things you enjoy, you do before the producer gets paid.  You are allowed to read the book before the author gets their royalty.  You are allowed to listed to a song before the singer gets paid for the listen.  You think the actor in the play got paid before you sat in  your seat?  The chef at the restaurant was not paid as you ate your meal.  Did you pay the waiter it's tip as you were eating?  

Of course it makes sense. It's the same with Shutterstock, so here's where you're wrong. This isn't about direct payment, this is about crediting the Shutterstock account. The money won't be transferred to me until the beginning of next month. So either way, I get the money at the beginning of the next month. But that's not the point here. This is about the downloads being credited to the account. And since downloads are in real time, it is also credited to your account in real time. And the question is, why is this suddenly not the case anymore? A technical error or certain agreements with the customer, or even something completely different?