Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sigitas Duoblis

Stop uploading for ALL

Recommended Posts

Let’s have self-esteem and stop doing it for free. The pandemic crisis has affected us all, but the SS is trying to make up for those who are building its business. This is wrong and exploitative. Therefore, I call everyone to stop loading new jobs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

USD 0.10 for my image shot on a high end Nikon, expensive glass, spend my hard earned money going to the exotic locations, spend hours in front of my PC editing and bringing it upto world standards? Are you crazy? Even a beggar won't accept USD 0.10. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stopped uploading and sent an email to the CEO ... I encourage everyone to as well.  See the 2020 Executive Team Group Photo topic for email addresses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think SS actually wants you to stop uploads.  There's already been a huge increase in the library in the last 2 years.  It's expensive to maintain all that storage space.

I just uploaded a batch last night.  Woke up today, all rejected because of 'grain'.  I thought: That's strange.  The grain isn't any worse than past photos I uploaded.

So it seems they don't want my uploads anymore. 

As individual contributors we're powerless.  The only way we can gain leverage is to organize and collectively disable or delete our portfolios.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dan Campbell said:

I think SS actually wants you to stop uploads.  There's already been a huge increase in the library in the last 2 years.  It's expensive to maintain all that storage space.

I just uploaded a batch last night.  Woke up today, all rejected because of 'grain'.  I thought: That's strange.  The grain isn't any worse than past photos I uploaded.

So it seems they don't want my uploads anymore. 

As individual contributors we're powerless.  The only way we can gain leverage is to organize and collectively disable or delete our portfolios.  

I think its trends, sellers. The old saying 'you never know what will sell' is obsolete cause SS knows exactly what sells. Why hold a bunch of pictures that make no money or maybe one person somewhere in BFE buys it? If you upload a batch of potato photos and they all get rejected it cause there are too many . Upload a photo of protesters etc they will get accepted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Sigitas Duoblis said:

Let’s have self-esteem and stop doing it for free. The pandemic crisis has affected us all, but the SS is trying to make up for those who are building its business. This is wrong and exploitative. Therefore, I call everyone to stop loading new jobs.

STOP UPLOADING ALL CONTRIBUTOR 
WAIT for FEW DAYS hopefully SS will back on old Price.
otherwise next step is withdrawing or deleting account.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

For me, I have decided not to deactivate my account with SS, but to upload nothing more.
As a minimum time for this a few days or a month are much too little, the volatility is just too big.
Therefore SS will not receive any new photos or videos from me until the end of the year.
After that I will continue to look. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, geogif said:

 

For me, I have decided not to deactivate my account with SS, but to upload nothing more.
As a minimum time for this a few days or a month are much too little, the volatility is just too big.
Therefore SS will not receive any new photos or videos from me until the end of the year.
After that I will continue to look. 

why do you keep selling? that it's not a bit duplicitous?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Amir Bajric said:

why do you keep selling? that it's not a bit duplicitous?

Do I really have to write the answer explicitly here?
I wasn't gonna do that, but okay:
Despite all the justified hate and anger about the unsocial and unfair decision of SS, the sales figures are still the highest among all agencies. 
How much the new tariff structure will affect, is not really clear (at least to me). 
I cannot judge or estimate how the miserable decision of SS will affect my personal PF.
The reason is that we do not know the buyer structure. 
But with the new participation model, the buyer structure is the defining element for sales. 
Many small buyers, high turnover, many large buyers, low turnover.
I have no idea what that looks like in my case. 
And the only way to get data here is to keep watching the game.

Even if these 0.1 sales bring tears to my eyes.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, geogif said:

Do I really have to write the answer explicitly here?
I wasn't gonna do that, but okay:
Despite all the justified hate and anger about the unsocial and unfair decision of SS, the sales figures are still the highest among all agencies. 
How much the new tariff structure will affect, is not really clear (at least to me). 
I cannot judge or estimate how the miserable decision of SS will affect my personal PF.
The reason is that we do not know the buyer structure. 
But with the new participation model, the buyer structure is the defining element for sales. 
Many small buyers, high turnover, many large buyers, low turnover.
I have no idea what that looks like in my case. 
And the only way to get data here is to keep watching the game.

Even if these 0.1 sales bring tears to my eyes.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

math is a simple thing dear friend, you will be poorer those richer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Amir Bajric said:

math is a simple thing dear friend, you will be poorer those richer

That depends on who buys your photos.
If it's the big buyers with the 350 or 750 contracts, you're absolutely right. 
In this case, everyone, even those with a high level, will lose more than 50%. 
The situation is different if you have photos that are of interest to special groups of buyers with small contracts. 
Here the participation model (which I understand in principle) can bring higher revenues than the previous model.

I do not know my buyers. 
That's why I can't calculate anything, just like you. 

 

EDIT

Right now, it looks like I have a lot of big buyers.
Despite many sales, my turnover is declining significantly.
However, I've been around long enough to know that you can't extrapolate the trend from 4 days to a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, geogif said:

That depends on who buys your photos.
If it's the big buyers with the 350 or 750 contracts, you're absolutely right. 
In this case, everyone, even those with a high level, will lose more than 50%. 
The situation is different if you have photos that are of interest to special groups of buyers with small contracts. 
Here the participation model (which I understand in principle) can bring higher revenues than the previous model.

I do not know my buyers. 
That's why I can't calculate anything, just like you. 

I wish you luck, for me I'm not important only I but also all the others, that's the difference

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Amir Bajric said:

I wish you luck, for me I'm not important only I but also all the others, that's the difference

I don't know how many agencies you've put your photos. 
But if, like me, there's more than one, you've probably experienced something weird:
The top sellers of one agency are on the shelves of another, some agencies sell mainly new pictures, others seem to need a certain time to mature. 
Not only the agencies differ, but also the buyers who are represented by the agencies.
Therefore it is important to supply the right agencies for the composition of your own PF. 
And for this you need data. 

The problem is not that SS now offer a participation model. In principle, a participation model is a fair way to get paid. 
The problems are that 
- the level of percentage for us in SS is so insultingly low,
- the prices for photos in large contracts are so low, and
- SS overpayments by not using the entire contract in their own pockets without involving us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...