Ikars

Thread for those who have closed or halted accounts

4 hours ago, Blue Corner Studio said:

Let them try it : ). See how far that takes them! I can count probably on one hand how many such contributors are who are willing to pay for "hosting"!

if they do that, they have to delete all the photos themselves, if we don't pay - they have no rights to force us to pay for something we haven't agreed in the original agreement

I disabled all of the photos in my port (some are still showing up, though), and changed my profile picture to something I think better reflects the level of quality Shutterstock is worthy of these days. :-) 

I've looked at perhaps 75 or more portfolios while I still could over the past few days, and it's so sad to see how all the hard work goes down the drain.
I did the same last week. Like Rudy Umans wrote in another topic... it's not how much we get, but how much they take.

Seeing the shareholder rapport stating they have $296 million in cash and no debts and an average DL revenue of $3.42

where we got an email stating

The reason of Decline in earnings has been the uncertain pandemic which has caused a huge effect on all the businesses including ours
and
We need your support during this harsh time around

just didn't add up for me

Disabled my account on 1st June, been here since 2007.   Very sad that Shutterstock chose greed over their contributors, without whom they would not have a business.  

On 6/5/2020 at 9:49 AM, Scorsby said:

Where did the thread go that was titled .... 600 images missing from my portfolio. 

I've got 40ish missing too .... 

Then it was vanished. Wtf.

Let's suppose SS have a rethink and reverse the royalty rate and you reactivate your port to allow sales it will take 72hours to see your images again.

15 hours ago, Lukasz Puch said:

Same here

zzzz.jpg

zzzz3.jpg

Perhaps change "closed until further notice, call the Shutterstock" to "closed until further notice, call the Shutter stuck" ;)

14 hours ago, Steven Tritton said:

From what i can see on the SS home page, number of images have dropped about 600 thousand since yesterday and about 1.5 million since a few days ago.

As mentioned before, I have no way of knowing if these numbers are correct (they weren't updated a few times) I only post what was on SS landings page

May 26    Over 325.465.275 royalty-free images with 1.229.872 new stock images added weekly

May 27    Over 326.148.632 royalty-free images with 1.251.997 new stock images added weekly

May 28    Over 326.156.131 royalty-free images with 1.225.645 new stock images added weekly

May 29    Over 326.237.838 royalty-free images with 1.199.139 new stock images added weekly

May 30    Over 326.237.838 royalty-free images with 1.199.139 new stock images added weekly

May 31    Over 326.237.838 royalty-free images with 1.199.139 new stock images added weekly

June 1    Over 326.401.446 royalty-free images with 1.146.506 new stock images added weekly

June 2    Over 326.401.446 royalty-free images with 1.146.506 new stock images added weekly

June 3    Over 326.201.838 royalty-free images with 1.184.333 new stock images added weekly

June 4    Over 326.201.838 royalty-free images with 1.184.333 new stock images added weekly

June 5    Over 325.718.566 royalty-free images with 1.157.726 new stock images added weekly

June 6    Over 325.167.887 royalty-free images with 1.123.492 new stock images added weekly

4 hours ago, Goldsithney said:

Let's suppose SS have a rethink and reverse the royalty rate and you reactivate your port to allow sales it will take 72hours to see your images again.

It went over that by a day but after an email the rest turned up for me.

On 6/2/2020 at 2:41 PM, Elliott Cowand Jr said:

Shutterstock's possible future tactic to counteract contributors who have disabled their photos could be to charge an annual "hosting/storage fee" for using their servers.

In which case you'll be forced to either pay the fee or delete your port altogether.

15 minutes ago, Boycott shutterstock said:

And delete will be the answered, since you can't even download your own photos.

But will let do the delete job to them, since they cannot force me to pay anything 

True.

On 6/5/2020 at 10:40 AM, Mike Kuhlman said:

In addition to a few $.10 image sales, I just got an $11.85 video cart sale:  

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-1029992876-pompano-beach-florida--usa---may

A few more high-priced sales like this and my income will not be affected at all by the new commission structure, might actually be more money than I was making before the commission change. 

I will NOT be disabling my port--I put too much time and effort into creating it and building it up.  I WILL just stop contributing for awhile, wait and see how this new commission structure plays out in income.

This $11.85 video cart sale would've probably been a $20+ video cart sale under the old system, but this clip that just sold had previously not sold at all, so maybe SS' marketing efforts have improved, or a customer simply finally found a need for this clip.  Either way, no complaints here so far since this commission structure change.

Of course, your earnings will become even greater when more other photographers will deactivate their portfolios... Won't say anything more, don't want to become rude. Think for yourself, what you're doing, if you can.  

Removed my photos from circulation here at the announcement of the latest money grab. Sending my request to be removed entirely now. Too depressing watching the oblivious or unable to leave sing praises for 10 cent royalties. Be safe and value yourselves......