Ikars

Thread for those who have closed or halted accounts

So I just recieved my first 0.10 USD sale and halted my account, until SS comes back to mind... or forever. 

It seems it would be cool to see how many of us are ready to go this way. This is thread for everyone to announce this move here and thus inspire others.

Secondly, it's important to share message on social networks and everywhere, urging customers to boycott SS. In Twitter, there is a trending hashtag #boycottshutterstock I just posted a Tweet: 

It's great that my photo has been used by @Forbes to advertise my country. Not so great that I got only 33 cents for that. And since the new policy of @Shutterstock will get even less. Recommend everyone to buy photos on other sites #boycottshutterstock

If someone doesn't know how to opt out of sales, go to https://submit.shutterstock.com/account/settings and under "Licensing options" click "No" instead of "Yes" next to "Image sales" and "Footage sales".

Just got my first 10 cents sale. Years working through the ranks for this. I'm not closing it down completely, just disabling sales period. Should they revert these greedy changes, I'll activate the sales again. Until then, not giving away work for free.

As I wrote elsewhere... it's not going to hurt SS in their pocket, even when thousands of contributors disable their portfolio. Write a review on Trustpilot to make potential customers aware.

It's currently showing 599 reviews
90% bad
3% poor
2% average
1% great
4% excellent

A potential customer looking for options on where to buy images is immediately done seeing these Trustpilot reviews, especially if other stock photo agencies are showing 4 stars and higher. This WILL hurt SS in their pocket.

12 minutes ago, Gtranquillity said:

As I wrote elsewhere... it's not going to hurt SS in their pocket, even when thousands of contributors disable their portfolio. Write a review on Trustpilot to make potential customers aware.

90% bad
3% poor
2% average
1% great
4% excellent

A potential customer looking for options on where to buy images is immediately done seeing these Trustpilot reviews, especially if other stock photo agencies are showing 4 stars and higher. This WILL hurt SS in their pocket.

Of course, that is also a good idea. Also, writing in social networks and elsewhere, urging customers to buy photos on other stock sites. There is a trending hashtag #boycottshutterstock on Twitter right now.

But it's still important to opt out of sales too. It's hard to judge how big damage it would do to SS business - I think it would certainly do some, because of many good and popular images disappearing, choice narrowing, the clients move to look for what they need elsewhere. But it's even more important as a symbolic step - to show that we, contributors have a self-respect and we won't let SS steal from us completely, won't sold out our work for completely laughable price (of course, even the previous prices were very inadequate - but by lowering them even more the red line is crossed - enough is enough). 

Sorry, but it's kind of a hypocrisy if you complain about the new prices but still continue to sell. But I can understand you if that is your only or primary way to feed your family. 

7 minutes ago, Ikars said:

Of course, that is also a good idea. Also, writing in social networks and elsewhere, urging customers to buy photos on other stock sites. There is a trending hashtag #boycottshutterstock on Twitter right now.

But it's still important to opt out of sales too. It's hard to judge how big damage it would do to SS business - I think it would certainly do some, because of many good and popular images disappearing, choice narrowing, the clients move to look for what they need elsewhere. But it's even more important as a symbolic step - to show that we, contributors have a self-respect and we won't let SS steal from us completely, won't sold out our work for completely laughable price (of course, even the previous prices were very inadequate - but by lowering them even more the red line is crossed - enough is enough). 

Sorry, but it's kind of a hypocrisy if you complain about the new prices but still continue to sell. But I can understand you if that is your only or primary way to feed your family. 

I agree with all of that (the bold part included) and did opt out but it takes time to take effect. I also twittered and got retweets and likes.

38 dakika önce, D. Ribeiro şöyle dedi:

İlk 10 gönderdi satışımı yeni aldım. Bunun için yıllar boyunca çalışıyorum. Tamamen kapatmıyorum, sadece satış dönemini devre dışı bırakıyorum. Bu açgözlü olduğu geri alırlarsa, satışları tekrar etkinleştireceğim. O zamana kadar, ücretsiz iş vermiyor.

Bunu nasıl yaptın. Bana da söyle. Bende yapacağım 

1 hour ago, Ikars said:

So I just recieved my first 0.10 USD sale and halted my account, until SS comes back to mind... or forever. 

It seems it would be cool to see how many of us are ready to go this way. This is thread for everyone to announce this move here and thus inspire others.

Secondly, it's important to share message on social networks and everywhere, urging customers to boycott SS. In Twitter, there is a trending hashtag #boycottshutterstock I just posted a Tweet: 

It's great that my photo has been used by @Forbes to advertise my country. Not so great that I got only 33 cents for that. And since the new policy of @Shutterstock will get even less. Recommend everyone to buy photos on other sites #boycottshutterstock

If someone doesn't know how to opt out of sales, go to https://submit.shutterstock.com/account/settings and under "Licensing options" click "No" instead of "Yes" next to "Image sales" and "Footage sales".

Great, I'll add #boycottshutterstock to my signature now.

1 hour ago, Ikars said:

When one opts out, the portfolio goes away, slowly, it might take some time. Any guidelines regarding this? When one opts back in with a "Yes" tick, the portfolio returns, and goes live once again. I have tested this, and would like some inputs. Because, if SS choose to listen to the contributors, and figure out a better way to compensate us instead of this recently awful strategy. I have had 2 x 0.10 cents so far, and feels awful.

4 minutes ago, AB Photostudio said:

When one opts out, the portfolio goes away, slowly, it might take some time. Any guidelines regarding this? When one opts back in with a "Yes" tick, the portfolio returns, and goes live once again. I have tested this, and would like some inputs. Because, if SS choose to listen to the contributors, and figure out a better way to compensate us instead of this recently awful strategy. I have had 2 x 0.10 cents so far, and feels awful.

Well, don't know how fast the portfolio is deactivated, I opted out just an hour ago myself.

1 hour ago, Gtranquillity said:

90% bad
3% poor
2% average
1% great
4% excellent

I'm afraid the big buyers are not really interested in these reviews. Which wouldn't surprise me, I don't do that with my purchases either. 

At Trustpilot (German page) SS actually scores the worst, with 1 star. 
But the other big ones (AS, IS, G, Alamy) with 2 stars are not really recommendable either. 
The sales-wise rather weak agency DT does best with 4 stars .

Obviously there is an indirect proportionality between the ratings and sales. 
The worse an agency is rated, the more sales it has.
Crazy, but that's how it looks. 

36 minutes ago, AB Photostudio said:

I opted out last night. I had over 5300 images online. This morning My Port shows 953 images.
I did get an email from ss, shortly after opting out, asking if that was me who changed my status.
Anyone else noting anything similar? 

Edit: I just clicked on "my image portfolio" --- under name on left of this post --- and it shows 953 active images.  What's the deal?????

1 hour ago, geogif said:

I'm afraid the big buyers are not really interested in these reviews. Which wouldn't surprise me, I don't do that with my purchases either. 

At Trustpilot (German page) SS actually scores the worst, with 1 star. 
But the other big ones (AS, IS, G, Alamy) with 2 stars are not really recommendable either. 
The sales-wise rather weak agency DT does best with 4 stars .

Obviously there is an indirect proportionality between the ratings and sales. 
The worse an agency is rated, the more sales it has.
Crazy, but that's how it looks. 

I definitely agree that existing customers will just proceed as per usual. I am aiming at potential customers who just started out and are looking around on where to purchase images. DT indeed does well on Trustpilot and imho this is very well deserved! (I've been a contributor and buyer there for 10 years)

56 minutes ago, Warren Price Photography said:

I opted out last night. I had over 5300 images online. This morning My Port shows 953 images.
I did get an email from ss, shortly after opting out, asking if that was me who changed my status.

Edit: I just clicked on "my image portfolio" --- under name on left of this post --- and it shows 953 active images.  What's the deal?????

I opted out also, but only got the confirmation email from SS

3 hours ago, Warren Price Photography said:

Now you have 910 images, it seems it's slowly decreasing. I have still all 5277 images active, so no change so far. I also got confirmation e-mail. 

3 hours ago, Warren Price Photography said:

I take a look in you portfolio. 10 pages are shown. When I click at the second page, only 6 pages are shown.

Disabled mine today.  If everyone did the same Shutterstock would not have a company.  I refuse to let them profit any longer from all my hard work, it's an insult to all their contributors (us).   I do wonder if Shutterstock have done some sort of deal with the main players so that they are not affected by these changes. 

Shutterstock's possible future tactic to counteract contributors who have disabled their photos could be to charge an annual "hosting/storage fee" for using their servers.