David P. Smith

Time to blow this pop stand

On 6/6/2020 at 7:51 PM, Rudy Umans said:

Take up knitting goes back to the beginning of time (SS time that is), but was made popular by Stephen Rudolph (Bichon) 10-12 years or so ago. Yes, the same guy who shaved with Nutella!  (Nutella became another forum icon)

"so hang up your g*damn camera and take up knitting" was his response to somebody who complained too much. It stuck around ever since.

Those were the days when microstock still had values and meant something and the forums had a lot of highs and lows. Big fights and big laughs

Stephen was banned from the forums a few years back. He and I stayed in touch and no, he hasn't changed a bit.

It's a new era now. 

i knew someone would remember Bichon.

Sometimes he would say "I ought to take up knitting" out of frustration with the issues of the day.

One of the funniest of all contributors.

Yes, it's a new era.

On 6/2/2020 at 6:36 AM, David P. Smith said:

The title says it all. It's something we used to say back when I was young letting people know we were leaving. And so it happens again. Due to the new policy of SS on payments I can no longer hang around and be insulted by the greed this company has been showing for the past several years. To those I have tried to help along these 15 years thank you for the opportunity to help. I have enjoyed it. Many of you went on to help others who came after you. But, my part will have to end here unless and until SS changes its policies. Within the next few hours I will be deactivating my portfolios. Take care everyone and keep the pride you have for your art around you at all times. Bye Bye.

Hi, David ... a blast from the past. I thought you had stopped posting a long time ago. But, I am here so seldom that probably missed any of your updates.
Appreciate all you have done in the past. Sad to see what is happening here. Your California (Hollywood) buddy has predicted the fall for a long time. The demise has but slow but steady.
Sorry that I can't remember names (handles) but I am old.
Stay Well.

17 minutes ago, Warren Price Photography said:

Hi, David ... a blast from the past. I thought you had stopped posting a long time ago. But, I am here so seldom that probably missed any of your updates.
Appreciate all you have done in the past. Sad to see what is happening here. Your California (Hollywood) buddy has predicted the fall for a long time. The demise has but slow but steady.
Sorry that I can't remember names (handles) but I am old.
Stay Well.

Slightly off topic, but that's Lauren??? I remember him too and I remember you as well Warren :)

I remember Warren also.

This reminds me of a funeral, where old friends and acquaintances gather to pay their respects to the deceased...

Regards to Lauren.  His advice was priceless.

I actually talked to Laurin about a month or so ago during the lock-down. He's doing good.

Laurin and Dave are cousins. (AKA the odd couple :) 

Funeral! Sounds about right LOL

Hi.  I just started Shutterstock and read through this.  So I recently sold an image for 10 cents, did it used to be different?  Also, what Photo Contributor site do you recommend that pays well?

2 hours ago, George Field said:

Hi.  I just started Shutterstock and read through this.  So I recently sold an image for 10 cents, did it used to be different?  Also, what Photo Contributor site do you recommend that pays well?

I used to make .33 cents (or more) per image now it's .10 cents. Stock is basically DOA at this moment, too many contributors being accepted drowning out the database and there are other free sites with really good work if not better. Read up the thread, long time money makers are shutting their accounts down.

10 hours ago, George Field said:

Also, what Photo Contributor site do you recommend that pays well?

None. 
To make money, MS today is the wrong way to go. 
We get so little now that it is really not worth it.
Every honest job brings in a lot more. 
Or other activities, such as collecting returnable bottles. 
In Germany an empty returnable bottle brings between 8 cents and 25 cents. 
Correctly read.
25 cents. That's 2.5 times more than for a photo at SS. 
Bend down, collect and take it to the store. 
That's 2.5 times more than taking a photo, editing, assigning titles, searching for keywords and uploading. 
So, if you can overcome disgust and shame, searching the trash cans in the city center is more profitable than taking stock photos.
If you want to make money, forget your camera. 

A contributor last week announced "I will be deleting my 441.000 files on Monday" (now yesterday)
I found his portfolio and they are still up (mine took 69 hours but I only had 650 files) so this is not reflected in the stats below. As always, I have no way of knowing if these numbers are correct, I'm just keeping track of what is showing on SS landingspage

May 26    Over 325.465.275 royalty-free images with 1.229.872 new stock images added weekly

May 27    Over 326.148.632 royalty-free images with 1.251.997 new stock images added weekly

May 28    Over 326.156.131 royalty-free images with 1.225.645 new stock images added weekly

May 29    Over 326.237.838 royalty-free images with 1.199.139 new stock images added weekly

May 30    Over 326.237.838 royalty-free images with 1.199.139 new stock images added weekly (not updated)

May 31    Over 326.237.838 royalty-free images with 1.199.139 new stock images added weekly (not updated)

June 1    Over 326.401.446 royalty-free images with 1.146.506 new stock images added weekly

June 2    Over 326.401.446 royalty-free images with 1.146.506 new stock images added weekly (not updated)

June 3    Over 326.201.838 royalty-free images with 1.184.333 new stock images added weekly

June 4    Over 326.201.838 royalty-free images with 1.184.333 new stock images added weekly (not updated)

June 5    Over 325.718.566 royalty-free images with 1.157.726 new stock images added weekly

June 6    Over 325.167.887 royalty-free images with 1.123.492 new stock images added weekly

June 7    Over 325.167.887 royalty-free images with 1.123.492 new stock images added weekly (not updated)

June 8    Over 325.167.887 royalty-free images with 1.123.492 new stock images added weekly (not updated)

June 9    Over 324.236.117 royalty-free images with 1.062.475 new stock images added weekly

4 hours ago, Gtranquillity said:

A contributor last week announced "I will be deleting my 441.000 files on Monday" (now yesterday)
I found his portfolio and they are still up (mine took 69 hours but I only had 650 files) so this is not reflected in the stats below. As always, I have no way of knowing if these numbers are correct, I'm just keeping track of what is showing on SS landingspage

May 26    Over 325.465.275 royalty-free images with 1.229.872 new stock images added weekly

May 27    Over 326.148.632 royalty-free images with 1.251.997 new stock images added weekly

May 28    Over 326.156.131 royalty-free images with 1.225.645 new stock images added weekly

May 29    Over 326.237.838 royalty-free images with 1.199.139 new stock images added weekly

May 30    Over 326.237.838 royalty-free images with 1.199.139 new stock images added weekly (not updated)

May 31    Over 326.237.838 royalty-free images with 1.199.139 new stock images added weekly (not updated)

June 1    Over 326.401.446 royalty-free images with 1.146.506 new stock images added weekly

June 2    Over 326.401.446 royalty-free images with 1.146.506 new stock images added weekly (not updated)

June 3    Over 326.201.838 royalty-free images with 1.184.333 new stock images added weekly

June 4    Over 326.201.838 royalty-free images with 1.184.333 new stock images added weekly (not updated)

June 5    Over 325.718.566 royalty-free images with 1.157.726 new stock images added weekly

June 6    Over 325.167.887 royalty-free images with 1.123.492 new stock images added weekly

June 7    Over 325.167.887 royalty-free images with 1.123.492 new stock images added weekly (not updated)

June 8    Over 325.167.887 royalty-free images with 1.123.492 new stock images added weekly (not updated)

June 9    Over 324.236.117 royalty-free images with 1.062.475 new stock images added weekly

This means (roughly) that about 18-20 million images have been removed from the database since the end of May. 
The question is whether this is "a lot" or SS doesn't feel it at all.

I am definitely considering it. I had recently just started uploading again, but that has stopped. I had plans to start uploading drone pics and footage as I learned to use that platform. The issue is that I've already put the work in. I want to see what this month leaves me and then decide. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 10.15.57 AM.png

2 hours ago, geogif said:

This means (roughly) that about 18-20 million images have been removed from the database since the end of May. 

Contributors can only remove their portfolios once. At the current rate of new uploads, I estimate that it will take Shutterstock just 4 months to recover that 6% after the removals have slowed down and dried up.

2 hours ago, Rob Hainer said:

I am definitely considering it. I had recently just started uploading again, but that has stopped. I had plans to start uploading drone pics and footage as I learned to use that platform. The issue is that I've already put the work in. I want to see what this month leaves me and then decide. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 10.15.57 AM.png

We started at the same time and got around the same figures (I disabled my portfolio June 2, after seeing the stats posted, my own, the letter we received and the one the shareholders received.

Whatever you decide, I wish you best of luck with sales, here or elsewhere!!

3 hours ago, geogif said:

My guess is as good as anyone else his, but I think it's peanuts for SS and eventually the dust will settle, contributors enable their portfolios again, the ones who left, will be "replaced" by others and it's business at business as usual, just with roughly 60 to 70% less earnings. Just my two cents.

3 minutes ago, geogif said:

I agree with you, unfortunately.

Seems I missed one small detail in the last line... just with roughly 60 to 70% less earnings (I already updated my original post ;) ).

3 hours ago, geogif said:

29.05.2020 - 326.237.838

Right now - 323.873.696

You can see the actual number when you search for an image, but don't fill in a keyword - just press enter. The number appears directly ob the images.

But, geogif, the difference is 2,36 Million, not 18 - 20 Million.

Since an estimated 1.3 million images have been uploaded in the meantime, about 3.7 million images must have been deleted.

1% - not more.

52 minutes ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

But, geogif, the difference is 2,36 Million, not 18 - 20 Million.

Since an estimated 1.3 million images have been uploaded in the meantime, about 3.7 million images must have been deleted.

1% - not more.

Yes, you are right. I used daily instead of weekly, read wrong.

2 hours ago, Gtranquillity said:

We started at the same time and got around the same figures (I disabled my portfolio June 2, after seeing the stats posted, my own, the letter we received and the one the shareholders received.

Whatever you decide, I wish you best of luck with sales, here or elsewhere!!

My guess is as good as anyone else his, but I think it's peanuts for SS and eventually the dust will settle, contributors enable their portfolios again, the ones who left, will be "replaced" by others and it's business at business as usual, just with roughly 60 to 70% less earnings. Just my two cents.

Thanks! We earned them a lot of money, especially at a time when they were growing to be the leading agency. It really stings to be hit like this when people like you, me and thousands of others helped this agency to become what it is today. 

1 hour ago, Rob Hainer said:

Thanks! We earned them a lot of money, especially at a time when they were growing to be the leading agency. It really stings to be hit like this when people like you, me and thousands of others helped this agency to become what it is today. 

Most definitely!
Like another contributor put it...  every 10 cent sale coming in feels like a spit in the face.
After 28 of those and 1 at 15 cents on the first day I just knew it would be best for me and my health to pull the plug.

On 6/2/2020 at 6:36 AM, David P. Smith said:

The title says it all. It's something we used to say back when I was young letting people know we were leaving. And so it happens again. Due to the new policy of SS on payments I can no longer hang around and be insulted by the greed this company has been showing for the past several years. To those I have tried to help along these 15 years thank you for the opportunity to help. I have enjoyed it. Many of you went on to help others who came after you. But, my part will have to end here unless and until SS changes its policies. Within the next few hours I will be deactivating my portfolios. Take care everyone and keep the pride you have for your art around you at all times. Bye Bye.

Hello David! It has been forever since ventured to the forum. I want you to know that you and Lauren were always rock solid with your advice and always willing to help. I'm still as addicted to photography as ever and am better at it because of good advise. Best wishes you you and yours!

Yep, I'm out, that's disgraceful - The very thought that I have to drag $20ks worth of photographic equipment up a hill to try and 'fight' for 11c per download will just discourage me to even leave the house - I'll just go back to doing it for love rather than trying to earn some peso's out of it. 

Shutterstock, take heed, your quality photographers are leaving you....You've insulted them..

2020-06-12 19_17_35-Earnings Summary _ June 9, 2020 _ Shutterstock.png

14 hours ago, Stu Shaw said:

Yep, I'm out, that's disgraceful - The very thought that I have to drag $20ks worth of photographic equipment up a hill to try and 'fight' for 11c per download will just discourage me to even leave the house - I'll just go back to doing it for love rather than trying to earn some peso's out of it. 

Shutterstock, take heed, your quality photographers are leaving you....You've insulted them..

2020-06-12 19_17_35-Earnings Summary _ June 9, 2020 _ Shutterstock.png

You have an incredible portfolio! 

23 hours ago, Paul Laubach said:

You have an incredible portfolio! 

Thanks for the complement, I'm a sure a lot of us have good portfolios on here and have worked hard to only upload quality content, it looks like SS have decided to insult those who've made the effort.....Shame.