David P. Smith

Time to blow this pop stand

10 minutes ago, David P. Smith said:

Thank you. It was one of my favorite things to do. Sorry to see it all go.

David you dont have to leave the forum. I've always found your posts reflective, calm and concise. I can understand leaving your port open here for penny is going to devalue it's worth elsewhere (why get it over there when here it's being thrown away etc), but the community isnt SS. 

41 minutes ago, Scorsby said:

David you dont have to leave the forum. I've always found your posts reflective, calm and concise. I can understand leaving your port open here for penny is going to devalue it's worth elsewhere (why get it over there when here it's being thrown away etc), but the community isnt SS. 

You never know, I may just pop in every so often to see what is going on and maybe lend a helping hand. It used to be that the Admin people really appreciated the help we gave. Doesn't seem like that any longer. Plus those that know me know that I will be more than willing to help them if they write to me. Best of luck to you.

33 minutes ago, Fotoluminate LLC said:

David, thanks for all the help and words of wisdom throughout the years. After 11 years as a contributor I am also seriously considering exiting this Shakespearean tragedy!   

You are more than welcome. Glad I could have been of help. All the best to you.

Yes, you were one of the few that discussed things rationally and genuinely gave good advice 

we all knew we were going down this path, but this hard and this fast, I don’t think anyone saw that coming

all the best in your future endeavours 

7 hours ago, David P. Smith said:

The title says it all. It's something we used to say back when I was young letting people know we were leaving. And so it happens again. Due to the new policy of SS on payments I can no longer hang around and be insulted by the greed this company has been showing for the past several years. To those I have tried to help along these 15 years thank you for the opportunity to help. I have enjoyed it. Many of you went on to help others who came after you. But, my part will have to end here unless and until SS changes its policies. Within the next few hours I will be deactivating my portfolios. Take care everyone and keep the pride you have for your art around you at all times. Bye Bye.

David, even if you quit Shutterstock you are not obliged to quit the forum.

I hope to read you again, here or there…

16 hours ago, Maxal Tamor said:

David, even if you quit Shutterstock you are not obliged to quit the forum.

I hope to read you again, here or there…

I've been thinking about this and I will still come to the forums from time to time. My bone of contention is with SS and their policies and not the contributors who work hard to make some extra money for them and their families. So, yes I will check in to help out where I can. But I have disabled all of my images and videos. 

On 6/2/2020 at 7:36 AM, David P. Smith said:

The title says it all. It's something we used to say back when I was young letting people know we were leaving. And so it happens again. Due to the new policy of SS on payments I can no longer hang around and be insulted by the greed this company has been showing for the past several years. To those I have tried to help along these 15 years thank you for the opportunity to help. I have enjoyed it. Many of you went on to help others who came after you. But, my part will have to end here unless and until SS changes its policies. Within the next few hours I will be deactivating my portfolios. Take care everyone and keep the pride you have for your art around you at all times. Bye Bye.

take care.  stay safe,  wash your hands from SS , and keep your distances 

Hate to see you go David after all these years but Looks like I might be right behind you, it’s horrible to see what ShutterStock has done to everyone, what use to be my #1 looks like it’s going to the bottom after these first 3 days of the new scale. First time in almost 14years might not even make pay out. After so many years making money for this company this is how they reward us, still hard to believe but I understand completely, take care David and thanks for the help and memory’s.

On 6/2/2020 at 4:36 AM, David P. Smith said:

I felt I got rabbit-punched when I read the email from SS regarding the new payment policy. I'm still debating how to respond.

Like many, deactivating my port is one course of action.

On the other hand, if SS is will be paying peanut wages, I could continue submitting material; but of peanut-quality, in terms of image content.

I am not an active contributor but used to love SS. But yesterday I got one sale for 10 ct here and one other for 47,52 € on an other stock site... I think SS is no longer interesting for contributor like me , sending one pict from time to time. 

@Kate Shutterstock You're losing some top brass contributors, I might be next if some of my top sellers are going for ten cents. Your remaining contributors will be the ones who are not photographers who cannot find focus who cannot compose a top seller the ones who dump thousands of images into your database. You are running off some the best of the best. 

I have a portfolio of over 4000+ images, I recently managed to make it to tier 2 after a lot of hard work. I was really pleased. It was something to celebrate.

But now, the elation has been replaced with despair as I sell images for 0.10, 0.11 and 0.12

So, I'm disabling my portfolio and stopping uploads. I'll be contributing to another stock photo site instead from now on.

So long SS and thanks for all the fish

On 6/2/2020 at 7:36 AM, David P. Smith said:

For you newer members, Dave has been one of the longest-serving members of this forum.

As for me, I'll keep my port, but no more uploads.

Like they said in the old Communist Soviet Union, they pretend to pay us, so we'll pretend to work.

Perhaps I should take up knitting. 

22 minutes ago, Rudy Umans said:

I remember that! 😄

I don't remember THAT, but I do remember David! ;)
Take care David. Best of luck to you!!

8 hours ago, K.L. Kohn said:

Perhaps I should take up knitting. 

2 hours ago, Gtranquillity said:

I don't remember THAT, but I do remember David! ;)

Take up knitting goes back to the beginning of time (SS time that is), but was made popular by Stephen Rudolph (Bichon) 10-12 years or so ago. Yes, the same guy who shaved with Nutella!  (Nutella became another forum icon)

"so hang up your g*damn camera and take up knitting" was his response to somebody who complained too much. It stuck around ever since.

Those were the days when microstock still had values and meant something and the forums had a lot of highs and lows. Big fights and big laughs

Stephen was banned from the forums a few years back. He and I stayed in touch and no, he hasn't changed a bit.

It's a new era now. 

7 hours ago, Rudy Umans said:

Take up knitting goes back to the beginning of time (SS time that is), but was made popular by Stephen Rudolph (Bichon) 10-12 years or so ago. Yes, the same guy who shaved with Nutella!  (Nutella became another forum icon)

"so hang up your g*damn camera and take up knitting" was his response to somebody who complained too much. It stuck around ever since.

Those were the days when microstock still had values and meant something and the forums had a lot of highs and lows. Big fights and big laughs

Stephen was banned from the forums a few years back. He and I stayed in touch and no, he hasn't changed a bit.

It's a new era now. 

I remember Stephen, including the forum ban, but still don't recall the knitting. I must be getting old (time to learn how to knit perhaps LOL :) )

4 hours ago, Working Title Productions said:

@Kate Shutterstock 

Happy to have just reached 50K.  Now disabled port.  

50K.jpg

4 hours ago, Steven Tritton said:

The contributor of the port below has just announced "On Monday, I will disconnect my 441 thousand (already deleted a thousand)" 

https://www.shutterstock.com/g/jackf

I was close to reaching 75K when I disabled my porfolio on June 2nd but I only had 650 images online.

td.jpg