Nick Beer

SS customer cancelled account owing to poor contributors new pay structure

A customer of mine had a Shutterstock account and used to buy a lot of stock and vectors from the agency. I've heard that they will be closing their account due to the new horrific low pay scales contributors are now faced with.

So SS, its not just contributors your loosing, many SS customers might start to use other agencies out there that treat contributors better.

For SS this is turning into a PR nightmare.

Word or mouth is said to be the best advertisement. This obviously can backfire if this 'world of mouth' is all negative............

3 minutes ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

My agency will also stop buying images from shutterstock in the future. This was decided this morning.

Great, quiet a few SS contributors are spreading the word to customers now.

Thanks for sharing Wilm!
I have a buyer account here but never used it. I have purchased hundreds of images (incl 67 EL's) from www.dreamstime.com simply because I think they are the best agency for both contributors and buyers. Their earnings are fair, their support is quick and helpful. Prices are a bit higher for images with a higher level, but if you look around, you can often find similar ones that were just uploaded (and thus still at level 1 or 2) And of course you can use their subscription if you need RF images you are not using for products for sale (I am using the credit packs as I often need $50 EL's which cannot be purchased from subscriptions)

14 minutes ago, Gulsen Ozcan said:

It will help more than close contributor's page.Great! Thanks for sharing

Agreed!

I heard from AP member that AP might be pulling away from Shutterstock and others may follow. If that is so I might have to move to where they are going to. I know many other photojournalist will be doing the same thing. I will leave whatever stock collection here but I will upload more often to where they will be pulling content from. 

33 minutes ago, Aaron of L.A. Photography said:

I heard from AP member that AP might be pulling away from Shutterstock and others may follow. If that is so I might have to move to where they are going to. I know many other photojournalist will be doing the same thing. I will leave whatever stock collection here but I will upload more often to where they will be pulling content from. 

That's encouraging news, thanks for the info. Same here, I'm not uploading any more stock to SS, I did a bit recently, but no more. If AP move from SS this is a big deal and with all this negative press (including Truspilot which gives them a 90% 1-star) they will be loosing clients as well as contributors.

Many in our industry work for companies that buy downloads and generally protect contributors be it photographers, designers etc. Many will not tolerate how little they pay there contributors.