Sign in to follow this  
Thijs de Graaf

Where are our admins?

@Kate Shutterstock   @Anna Shutterstock @Alex Shutterstock

Last year I registered for the first time on a stock site. It became Shutterstock. A newcomer doesn't earn that much, but it seemed a fair price. There was a forum where admins were helpful.
Admins first disappeared from the forum. Then we received a message, from which you could calculate, that the earnings had halved at least and it started the following week. All it said was a fair price.
Kate starts a topic, where you can discuss about these new earnings. But no admin participates in the discussion, clarifies for us. Just a few emotionless messages from you Kate. Some people appreciate you for what you seem to have done in the past. You probably can't help it, but it seems to me that you will at least not feel pleasant.

As requested I have a link to Shutterstock on facebook. There is also a link on my website:
It seems fair to me to add to that, what goes wrong with Shutterstock. First let's see how it works with the earnings, because it is still not completely clear.

It reminds me of a company I saw going down. The people worked hard. The lead did the craziest things and then left the sinking ship like rats to go to the next random job.
If I take my photos away, nobody at Shutterstock will be awake. First I look for a reliable stock site. Hopefully I am not mistaken again. Again it's not about the merits, but I can't enjoy working for such an antisocial company. I hope you can do that.

6 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

Good luck if you leave. It will be a shame if you do. 🐜🐛🦋🐝🐞🦗🕷

Thank you. It will be a while, I have been watching all the Stocksites all night. I find it difficult. ☹️
I think I'll make a decision tomorrow. Too bad, I finally started to earn something. At least I will be paid this month.
What are you going to do?

It is unfortunate that Shutterstock and the admins will not acknowledge the current situation and the contributors of our industry.  Shutterstock is a billion dollar company.  In the company there must have been meetings about the current situation and they most likely already knew that contributors would be upset.  The officers and management (holding degrees in business, etc...) must have talked about how many contributors would leave and how many contributions of images, videos, and works they would lose prior to releasing their current policies.  Again, this is a billion dollar company and they know what is going on.  If they don't react or acknowledge the current situation, it is most likely it has little to no effect on their business strategy and they are getting exactly what they set out to do.  It is very unfortunate for photographers, editors, and artist.  What an artist can do is take their works elsewhere if they do not agree with the current policies and terms of service, but each and everyone is different and will react their own way.  Excuse my writing as I do not do any editorial and well... my writing is less than standard. 

I am not defending Shutterstock by any means.  What I do support are photographers and artist alike in no particular order.  Then I support the industry.  I am an aspiring photographer that had two images on Shutterstock, both gone.  I do not know what it is like for those that are professionals and those with rather large ports.  I myself have been trying to delete my contributor account and personal information for ten months to this day.  I have been trying to leave Shutterstock for just under a year as I personally do not agree with their TOS or policies prior to any of this happening, yet my emails and request are ignored.  

Shutterstock is a large corporation, they know the current situation.  It is a drastic change to the industry.  What they cannot control is you.  My Ilford HP5 just got here, it's time to go out and take some pictures.  Be back in a few.          

All the admins are in the witness protection program. 

I heard that one opened a 24 hour convenient store in Siberia. (Probably just a rumor)

25 minutes ago, Rudy Umans said:

All the admins are in the witness protection program. 

I heard that one opened a 24 hour convenient store in Siberia. (Probably just a rumor)

nah they are in a bunker in DC

3 hours ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

Last year I registered for the first time on a stock site. It became Shutterstock. A newcomer doesn't earn that much, but it seemed a fair price. There was a forum where admins were helpful.
Admins first disappeared from the forum. Then we received a message, from which you could calculate, that the earnings had halved at least and it started the following week. All it said was a fair price.
Kate starts a topic, where you can discuss about these new earnings. But no admin participates in the discussion, clarifies for us. Just a few emotionless messages from you Kate. Some people appreciate you for what you seem to have done in the past. You probably can't help it, but it seems to me that you will at least not feel pleasant.

As requested I have a link to Shutterstock on facebook. There is also a link on my website:
It seems fair to me to add to that, what goes wrong with Shutterstock. First let's see how it works with the earnings, because it is still not completely clear.

It reminds me of a company I saw going down. The people worked hard. The lead did the craziest things and then left the sinking ship like rats to go to the next random job.
If I take my photos away, nobody at Shutterstock will be awake. First I look for a reliable stock site. Hopefully I am not mistaken again. Again it's not about the merits, but I can't enjoy working for such an antisocial company. I hope you can do that.

Kate's probably in therapy by now and the other's don't give a shit.  

All we get from Support are innocuous replies from names like Nanoosh, Pootang or Manash -- outsourced to some East Indian sweatshop.  

Don't get me wrong, I like a good Chicken Tikka Masala as much as the next guy, but good God, this is customer service?  If SS taking most of your earnings wasn't enough, this is.

9 hours ago, Studio 2 said:

Stick around for now. I have worked very hard on my little port. I don't want to destroy it. I also enjoy the forum.

Yes, when I look at my photos, I also regret it. I understand from some old Istock users that they left their photos there for a while while they started working for other Stocksites and only took them out later when they had a lot of photos there. Maybe I do that too. Now I think of Alarmy. 🤔🤯
But the fun for Shutterstock is gone. Calling you artists to the customers. Halve your wages without explanation.
But I already thought that when they closed ports because of similars, without any warning or consultation. Or when they didn't help someone who had problems with the address.
And ask for feedback. That is quite a joke. I thought it was spam or something. Also never had a message about this. Ultimately, Alex then figured out it was real after I emailed an admin about it. They also knew nothing about this.
There is no communication in this company, there is indifference to others.

shutterstock-feedback.jpg

12 hours ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

Where are SS admins? They've left and joined a decent stock agency that treats contributors and staff correctly.

They are all enjoying their REAL caviar vs the fake ones from the extra profits they made off of us starting afternoon NY time yesterday.

In a similar situation at a different agency...many admins and employees quit abruptly and just walked out. Everyone was shell shocked, lots of people called in sick.

After all they were just as unprepared as the contributors and many had ports themselves.

Of course they were super qualified and easily found other jobs. But now with the pandemic that will not be possible for many.

SS admins are not our enemies, even without ports they will suffer.

But at least their income will not fall abruptly. They still have a fully paid day job, many contributors don‘t.

ETA: 

However, we never left the community alone.

Other admins, including myself, literally worked day and night to answer the many questions and reassure contributors. We also had very high level admins from the new owner agency come in and face the heat and answer question.

Compared to what is going on here though, the royalty drop was acceptable. Completly different scenario.

From past experiences I know...if you do not communicate when a sh...storm starts then things get really ugly really fast.

Corporate silence is like pouring rocket fuel on a fire.

2 hours in unfolding drama is like 2 normal weeks, 3 days into a crisis and you have aged 3 years.

That is why I don‘t understand the silence. But I don‘t understand many things about this situation anyway.

6 hours ago, Jasmin Awad said:

In a similar situation at a different agency...many admins and employees quit abruptly and just walked out. Everyone was shell shocked, lots of people called in sick.

After all they were just as unprepared as the contributors and many had ports themselves.

Of course they were super qualified and easily found other jobs. But now with the pandemic that will not be possible for many.

SS admins are not our enemies, even without ports they will suffer.

But at least their income will not fall abruptly. They still have a fully paid day job, many contributors don‘t.

ETA: 

However, we never left the community alone.

Other admins, including myself, literally worked day and night to answer the many questions and reassure contributors. We also had very high level admins from the new owner agency come in and face the heat and answer question.

Compared to what is going on here though, the royalty drop was acceptable. Completly different scenario.

From past experiences I know...if you do not communicate when a sh...storm starts then things get really ugly really fast.

Corporate silence is like pouring rocket fuel on a fire.

2 hours in unfolding drama is like 2 normal weeks, 3 days into a crisis and you have aged 3 years.

That is why I don‘t understand the silence. But I don‘t understand many things about this situation anyway.

No I have that too.
As an administrator you still feel responsible. Have they been instructed to withdraw? I assume they will not only be administrators. What else do they do for Shutterstock. It will not be volunteer work.
Or are they so sick of the whole thing that they have withdrawn?
Indeed incomprehensible, that there is no communication. That will work against you. You can't think of a worse advertisement.
In that regard, I wouldn't be surprised if the forum is shut down by Shutterstock and some kind of notice board takes its place.

Playing ping pong at the office and having pizza and beer laughing at loser contributers

8 hours ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

Yes, when I look at my photos, I also regret it. I understand from some old Istock users that they left their photos there for a while while they started working for other Stocksites and only took them out later when they had a lot of photos there. Maybe I do that too. Now I think of Alarmy. 🤔🤯
But the fun for Shutterstock is gone. Calling you artists to the customers. Halve your wages without explanation.
But I already thought that when they closed ports because of similars, without any warning or consultation. Or when they didn't help someone who had problems with the address.
And ask for feedback. That is quite a joke. I thought it was spam or something. Also never had a message about this. Ultimately, Alex then figured out it was real after I emailed an admin about it. They also knew nothing about this.
There is no communication in this company, there is indifference to others.

shutterstock-feedback.jpg

That's virus. I already asked about "nirvana stock" and no one knows that. Its a pop up that redirect to another 'strange' URL

1 hour ago, Miguel Couto said:

That's virus. I already asked about "nirvana stock" and no one knows that. Its a pop up that redirect to another 'strange' URL

No it isn't a virus Miguel. That's what we thought too. See this  topic . It's a company hired by Shutterstock to see how satisfied we are with them

Alex Shutterstock, after an email from me to Anna Shutterstock, figured out the problem and assured us that it was ok. It came from Shutterstock. You can read that in this topic

53 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

I wondered if the forum would be dismantled overnight with no warning. No better way to silence contributors @Thijs de Graaf

I am completely redesigning my garden at the moment. It's good to keep in touch at rest times which are frequent as it's scorching hot here. Would be a loss for contributors. 

I water some plants. My lawn is starting to look like a desert.
Here with the garden hose  (not yet sold). Our rain barrel already emptying (sold 😊). Yesterday removed all chestnut flowers from the gutter. Didn't feel like taking a picture of it.

59 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

I wondered if the forum would be dismantled overnight with no warning. No better way to silence contributors

If that happened I can assure you it would be such a catastrophic error of judgement as to make the pay drop look like a sneeze in a hurricane. Facebook would become the next sounding board as would utube. 

Utubers get paid for content. Something like this has taken care of vlogs for a month. Shut the forum off to prevent comparing of notes would bring such a shit storm across every other platform that they wouldn't know what had hit them. 

I hope for them they dont because all of them are on various platforms outside of this.