Experiences with other stock photo sites

Please share your experiences on the other sites you are selling on to help others make a decision on what to do next.

I'm selling at

Dreamstime http://www.dreamstime.com
For me, sales went down quite a bit but as I haven't submitted much over the years that was to be expected.
However, I'm also a buyer there and they are truly a great bunch of people. Support is the best you can imagine and royalties are very fari. Of all sites (I sell on other websites as well but not microstock) I trust and like them the most. Never had a bad experience or surprise!

Adobe Stock (coming from Fotolia) https://stock.adobe.com
I did very well on Fotolia, but sales tanked big time after my port was moved over. I've deleted all non sellers and am uploading some improved versions. I hope this will help

123RF https://www.123rf.com/
For me not worth it. I only make a few dollars a month (up to around 25) after they changed their royalty structure, so I no longer upload there

Deposit Photos http://depositphotos.com
I get a fair amount of sales but I'm sure it will get better when I have started uploading again (got some batches in review)
I like the mentality of the people behind the scene and like DT, they are always very helpful. They also have a 24/7 chat in place which is a great feature!

I just signed up at Yay Images https://www.yayimages.com/
I hope someone will have some experiences with them and is willing to share!

Edited to add...
I had a portfolio at iStock and Yaymicro but deleted the former after the royalty change and the latter was not worth it sales wise.

I'm on AS, DT, A___y and 123RF.  My portfolios there are much smaller than here, but AS has by far been selling the most.  In the rest, I'm lucky if I get 2 sales per year. 

Maybe, with DT's new contributor incentives, resulting in a flood of new content, customers will migrate back to DT.  I do like their keywording interface--it's very easy to use.

When I get back into the microstock game (right now I'm focusing on producing audiobooks through A_X), AS will probably get most of my time and effort.

Diane! Howdy Girl! :D

Do you not have images on Alamy? With the absolute quality of your work, you should have a port there, too - just remember to set the pics as RF, not RM.

The sales don't happen often for most people there, but they have bigger sales which are worth while. Of course, even they have dropped their rates to contributors from 50% to 40%, but it's better than here for sure....

2 hours ago, Gtranquillity said:

I just signed up at Yay Images https://www.yayimages.com/

I hope someone will have some experiences with them and is willing to share!

Edited to add...
I had a portfolio at iStock and Yaymicro but deleted the former after the royalty change and the latter was not worth it sales wise.

If you already experienced Yaymicro, why did you sign up again under YayImages? Apparently, they renewed Only their Name... 

6 minutes ago, Little Adventures said:

If you already experienced Yaymicro, why did you sign up again under YayImages? Apparently, they renewed Only their Name... 

Are you sure?
Because  the names are so similar I Googled for Yaymicro first and it appeared to be two different sites.
In any case, many thanks for the heads up, will definitely do some more research.

33 minutes ago, Sari ONeal said:

Diane! Howdy Girl! :D

Do you not have images on Alamy? With the absolute quality of your work, you should have a port there, too - just remember to set the pics as RF, not RM.

The sales don't happen often for most people there, but they have bigger sales which are worth while. Of course, even they have dropped their rates to contributors from 50% to 40%, but it's better than here for sure....

Thank you so much :)
I did look into Alamy ages ago but passed (mainly as I was too busy to upload everything) Thanks for the reminder! I will surely pay them a visit again after posting this message!!

I have portfolios on DT, 12..F, AS and a few others. Since SS has been by far my main source of sales up to now I focused on uploading here, where I have by far the bigger portfolio. This is about to change. Tweaking my workflow to be able to easily upload to several places without too much hassle for the keywording and stuff.

Just signed up to A...y. Got a message that because of the significant number of new applications, the review process for the 3 test images submitted may take a while. Wonder how comes that they are having a lot of new applications recently, really no clue.

32 minutes ago, Ackab Photography said:

I have portfolios on DT, 12..F, AS and a few others. Since SS has been by far my main source of sales up to now I focused on uploading here, where I have by far the bigger portfolio. This is about to change. Tweaking my workflow to be able to easily upload to several places without too much hassle for the keywording and stuff.

Just signed up to A...y. Got a message that because of the significant number of new applications, the review process for the 3 test images submitted may take a while. Wonder how comes that they are having a lot of new applications recently, really no clue.

Can't think of a reason either................ (good luck on your submission though!)

1 hour ago, Ackab Photography said:

in fairness this has been going on since late March.  i 

Dreamstime: last sale (0.35c) on May 19

Adobe Stock: last sale (0.36c) on July 1

123 RF: last sale (.216c) on May 24

Bigstock (Shutterstock): last sale (0.27c) on May 31 

Can Stock Photo: last sale (0.25c) on May 30

Depositphotos: last sale (0.31c) on May 31

Alamy: last sale ($2.80) on May 15

All very bad.

7 hours ago, Martin Capek said:

Haha I was going to register at AL, just to find out I already have account there. Only 116 images tho, but already some money. Time to build my port there.
And I didn´t check DP for ages as well, there are actually some nice money waiting for me lol.

Good for you :)
At this time, NICE surprises seem rare ;)

4 hours ago, ribeiroantonio said:

Dreamstime: last sale (0.35c) on May 19

Adobe Stock: last sale (0.36c) on July 1

123 RF: last sale (.216c) on May 24

Bigstock (Shutterstock): last sale (0.27c) on May 31 

Can Stock Photo: last sale (0.25c) on May 30

Depositphotos: last sale (0.31c) on May 31

Alamy: last sale ($2.80) on May 15

All very bad.

It surely isn't going to pay the bills

be aware of the terms and conditions of the other agencies before uploading, and check the sale price of them to customers.

because I've seen that some small agencies are selling any licenses for 1 dollar without difference between standard and extended licenses, which normally are sold at 50-100 dollars each and you get 30 % in big agencies.

So if you don't check the terms, you could sell an extended license with unlimited rights to print and resale on products, and get only 0.20 cents commission.
Or some sell any video size and license for 10 euro and you get 2 euro only.

Just check the conditions and final price before upload anytime.

19 minutes ago, Heide Pinkall said:

grafik.png.e9f4f9b52dd82a07735936bf26ba0217.png

One question: If DT sells pictures for just 0,19 € - won't the fee for the contributor also be 0,10 €?

With Dreamstime it's not the contributor but the images that level up once they get more downloads. So while the images sell for a lower price for the first download, they get to earn more after the next download.

For referrence... my last 10 downloads have earned me
$2
$2
$0.35
$2
$5.19
$0.35
$0.35
$2
$2
$6.17

Looking over my last 10 earnings pages I have not seen anything lower then $0.35 and both the 0.35 and 2 dollar earnings showing above are subscriptions. The higher priced ones are from credit packs.

Edited to add that EL's have all earned me 45% of the sales price.

8 hours ago, Martin Capek said:

Haha I was going to register at AL, just to find out I already have account there. Only 116 images tho, but already some money. Time to build my port there.
And I didn´t check DP for ages as well, there are actually some nice money waiting for me lol.

Lucky surprise to find money on the table! I also discovered at AS that I didn't have to go thru the entry "exam" again cuz my abandoned account was apparently still active. But in all honesty they sell very little of my stuff that does sell on other platforms. At Alamy I have even less fortune. It seems it's just me. Again, all I upload there are photos that do sell decently here at SS, at DT or at iS, yet not a single sale at Alamy. go figure. I surely don't get it. Though I hear that if you do sell there, it can be some decent 💰. Still waiting for the theory to be proven : ). 

I put my images on different sites, sometimes the same images on several sites, sometimes only on one site.

Overall Shutterstock represented about 50% of my earnings. 

With the new structure my earnings on Shutterstock will certainly drop a lot, but probably, in compensation, they will increase on the other sites. However, I don't expect that what will be lost on Shutterstock will be earned on the other sites. Overall I expect to lose about 35%.
So far Shutterstock had the advantage to offer our images in large quantities at a (almost) acceptable price. With the new earnings structure Shutterstock will maintain its "quantity" advantage for a while, but the "acceptable price" advantage will no longer exist. This will initially cause the leakage of contributors, who, let's not forget, are the soul of the site since they provide the raw material. This leakage of contributors will lead to a growing lack of trust on the part of customers, largely because the best contributors will have left Shutterstock to offer their images on other sites.
Then it will be the end of Shutterstock, which will have only poor quality images and will be relegated to the rank of the smallest sites, such as Yay, Cutcaster, Crestock, Stockfresh, etc., or will simply be forced to cease its activity. 

All this is really very sad.

i can share some thought on it,  first Depositphoto i have a little bit Subscription download every year, i upload 3XXX pic and every years got 50usd-100usd 

so you can't expect it will earn so much as like as ss. no one download  the video, also no single sale, rarely on-demand image.

AS is good once you can get some single sale sometime, also adobe clips can provide 25-28.25 usd for each sale. and i would like to say Adobe stock UX are more user-friendly than the Fotolia.
moreover, adobe package to customers is quite attractive if you are the designer who using photoshop, ai or premiere.

Dreamstime i hate it, they will sell my items for free if no download rate. 
alamy is the dark horse it sometime make the one big sale bi-monthly or monthly but you can't expect they can provide you the sale everyday. it have different charge system.

in fact, i also re-contribute IS, IS indeed always provide the 0.01 cents per image, but it is base on their sale plan via Gettyimage worldwide, which mean if someone somewhere they are willing to buy the expensive stuff and they find your photo or video on Getty, you are luck enough to earn some large sale, like me around 4600 pic and video,

you still can got 132-200 usd per month. this is the strength of IS, the worldwide network and sale team via Getty....

but i don't think SS have the same condition to Getty

45 minutes ago, Lewis Tse Pui Lung said:

i can share some thought on it,  first Depositphoto i have a little bit Subscription download every year, i upload 3XXX pic and every years got 50usd-100usd 

so you can't expect it will earn so much as like as ss. no one download  the video, also no single sale, rarely on-demand image.

AS is good once you can get some single sale sometime, also adobe clips can provide 25-28.25 usd for each sale. and i would like to say Adobe stock UX are more user-friendly than the Fotolia.
moreover, adobe package to customers is quite attractive if you are the designer who using photoshop, ai or premiere.

Dreamstime i hate it, they will sell my items for free if no download rate. 
alamy is the dark horse it sometime make the one big sale bi-monthly or monthly but you can't expect they can provide you the sale everyday. it have different charge system.

in fact, i also re-contribute IS, IS indeed always provide the 0.01 cents per image, but it is base on their sale plan via Gettyimage worldwide, which mean if someone somewhere they are willing to buy the expensive stuff and they find your photo or video on Getty, you are luck enough to earn some large sale, like me around 4600 pic and video,

you still can got 132-200 usd per month. this is the strength of IS, the worldwide network and sale team via Getty....

but i don't think SS have the same condition to Getty

This is not correct. You get to choose if you want images they reject to be added to their free section (just select "no") and if a file has not sold after being in the data base for several years, you get an email notification first asking you if it can be added to the free section. It's always a cholce for you to decide if you want it or not.

2 minutes ago, Gtranquillity said:

This is not correct. You get to choose if you want images they reject to be added to their free section (just select "no") and if a file has not sold after being in the data base for several years, you get an email notification first asking you if it can be added to the free section. It's always a cholce for you to decide if you want it or not.

really, good to hear that, i will contribute DT again, thank ~

29 minutes ago, Lewis Tse Pui Lung said:

really, good to hear that, i will contribute DT again, thank ~

You're most welcome! I just double checked DT to make sure I didn't miss anything, but none of my images have been added to the free section (there's a tab that shows them. Many are 5-10 years old and some don't have sales, so they would have been added to the free section if I were not given a choice.

This is the notification you get:

Dear Diana,

This is an automated notification. Your portfolio includes images that have been online for more than 4 years with no downloads up to the present. In order to keep up with the current standards we believe they should be removed from our commercial database, allowing fresh content to be more visible.

The following action options are available for you to decide:

- donate the image to the free section which can provide significant portfolio exposure and increase your sales; images can be disabled at any time later.
- keep the image online (default action).

In order to review the images and take the desired action, please access the link below.
If no action is taken, the default one is automatically selected.

If you search their FAQ for "free images" this is what it shows in relation to images added to the free section

You need to use the feature included within the Free section homepage. You can also donate images at submission time (regular uploads). Please note that the free photos can be used commercially by designers and that we reserve the right to select the images donated.