DiMagio

Our alternatives? AS, Alamy...???

37 minutes ago, Sarah2 said:

How sad that people are reduced to considering sites like Yay whatever-they-call-themselves-these-days and Picfair.

I was thinking the same thing. Leave SS to "teach them a thing or two". Then join a nobody stock site that's invisible to search engines and customers alike....  🤨

Just had an advert on my facebook for "coded" saying about stock photography but the site it goes to is for code designers so not sure if it is serious

4 hours ago, oleschwander said:

Are you sure it’s Alamy? They Stopped a long time ago acceptTing new video submissions - as far as I know ..?

Yes pretty sure it was,  as I deleted my portfolio in red mist.... and they keep contacting me to apologise as some newspapers have stored my photo on disc and keep reusing them even though my portfolio is deleted. most infuriating. 

The only real contender to SS I feel is Adobe Stock. 

The rest seem to be heading down the dumps and may not worth the time/effort even with a fantastic program such as Stocksubmitter. 

Alamy is a good agency and average download royalties are attractive, but you'll need the right type of images on there which are generally quite specific editorials of people/places. 

Picfair or Yay...ffs...

10 hours ago, Lucian Coman said:

Peace, the guy was asking for alternatives and............ boom a referral link to a failing microstock site with extremely low sales. Absolutely, if you want to praise a stock site and advertise them make a new post and say so. Advertising on a post of a chap during the  ShutterPandemic is kind of creepy .

Yeah, when you put it that way I can see how it comes across bad. I really didn't intend for it to come across that way, so my apologies! I don't spend much time on the forums, the last week has made up about half my time here. I can be a bit oblivious to the proper etiquette. And maybe just a bit oblivious in general  🙈

I also didn't know people would view them as a "failing" site, but rather just a smaller one. IMO the difference is big - did they used to be a popular site & now are not?

Also, I'm not sure how many people already know about this - but I just recently discovered MicrostockPlus through the microstock forums. Never heard of it before now, but I love it. For those who don't know, you upload your images there, add the title/description/keywords (or it auto-adds them if it's embedded in the image), choose categories, and then you can upload it to all the popular agencies (I believe 15+ options) from there. I've been using it to super easily submit my whole portfolio to a couple sites, and also for quickly submitting single images to sites that I had previously not uploaded them to. I wish I'd found this years ago

7 hours ago, Photography by Adri said:

Also, I'm not sure how many people already know about this - but I just recently discovered MicrostockPlus through the microstock forums. Never heard of it before now, but I love it. For those who don't know, you upload your images there, add the title/description/keywords (or it auto-adds them if it's embedded in the image), choose categories, and then you can upload it to all the popular agencies (I believe 15+ options) from there. I've been using it to super easily submit my whole portfolio to a couple sites, and also for quickly submitting single images to sites that I had previously not uploaded them to. I wish I'd found this years ago

The same system as Wirestock. Didn't know there was another such service. To me it's a great idea, since all the work captioning and keywording images isn't rewarded, so taking away the boring part seems wise to me.

Amateur here with a tiny, mediocre port.  From now on I plan to focus only on... Flickr.

Originally came here thinking it would be nice to make a little money off my hobby.  I learned a lot.  Only made $60 in 3 years (I'd guess SS made $200-300 off that?).  So it was a waste of time before, but now it's just an insult.  Further contributions will only contribute to rising inequality. 

I plan to wait a month and see how it goes.  (Perhaps sales will increase dramatically?)  But without a change, SS is not worth bothering with anymore.  

17 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

Just had an advert on my facebook for "coded" saying about stock photography but the site it goes to is for code designers so not sure if it is serious

I'm only on Shutterstock, but have stopped downloading. I 've looked at all stocksites but have not yet made up my mind. When I looked on insects on Alarmy (of which I have many photos) I saw a photo of you.  

I am thinking of putting at least some photos there. What are your experiences (not only for Starsphinx of course)? I saw Alexandre wrote that Alarmy was more for editorial photos. 

Working for a European instead of an American company is also sometimes fun. 🙂

Supplement: I signed up with Alarmy. I had to send three photos without text. They are first inspected before I can continue. That may take some time. I'm not the only one apparently.

I started contributing to AL, also thought about rejoining IS. Not much options left as AS does not accept editorial and DT cannot sell.

3 hours ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

I'm only on Shutterstock, but have stopped downloading. I 've looked at all stocksites but have not yet made up my mind. When I looked on insects on Alarmy (of which I have many photos) I saw a photo of you.  

I am thinking of putting at least some photos there. What are your experiences (not only for Starsphinx of course)? I saw Alexandre wrote that Alarmy was more for editorial photos. 

Supplement: I signed up with Alarmy. I had to send three photos without text. They are first inspected before I can continue. That may take some time. I'm not the only one apparently.

I have to say for me Alamy has been disappointing - I see very few sales there (9 in 2 years) 5 of which were live news - and the biggest price was just over $13 so I saw just under $7 for it - and still have not made minimum payout.  Here I had a sale last month that netted me $50 - so goodness knows what the price was, and with a smaller port than at Alamy I am seeing 15+ sales a month - which OK is not a lot but my ports both places are small.

2 hours ago, Saurav022 said:

I started contributing to AL, also thought about rejoining IS. Not much options left as AS does not accept editorial and DT cannot sell.

Rejoining IS because getting 2 cents is better than 10 cents?

3 hours ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

I see you're based in the Netherlands, so having lived there for a few years (2014-2016), here are some of my images on Alamy that have sold from there to give you an idea what the buyers are looking for. Some good (net) prices too. 

As mentioned earlier, Alamy buyers are mainly corporate-types and want specific editorials of people/places to be used in their media.

bike.JPG

hague.JPG

market.JPG

rotterdam.JPG

1 hour ago, Starsphinx said:

I have to say for me Alamy has been disappointing - I see very few sales there (9 in 2 years) 5 of which were live news - and the biggest price was just over $13 so I saw just under $7 for it - and still have not made minimum payout.  Here I had a sale last month that netted me $50 - so goodness knows what the price was, and with a smaller port than at Alamy I am seeing 15+ sales a month - which OK is not a lot but my ports both places are small.

Thanks. Until June I was very satisfied about Shutterstock. At the moment it is always 0.10 and very strange.. mainly in the Netherlands. That was less last month. Probably by chance.
I wait until I am accepted at Alarmy and then I put at least some pictures on. But don't expect too much.

1 hour ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

I see you're based in the Netherlands, so having lived there for a few years (2014-2016), here are some of my images on Alamy that have sold from there to give you an idea what the buyers are looking for. Some good (net) prices too. 

As mentioned earlier, Alamy buyers are mainly corporate-types and want specific editorials of people/places to be used in their media.

Thanks. Beautiful pictures. My daughter works in Rotterdam and has lived near the market hall. I hardly get out of my village because of the corona. There will be more tourists again, so I can take pictures of that.
The hotels are receiving guests again. I will take some pictures of the hotels and terraces. I also sold this photo (100 meters from my house) on SS when there was no tourist to be found.

stock-photo-bergen-netherlands-march-hotel-marijke-with-bicycles-that-can-be-rented-in-the-dutch-1679067202.jpg

Alamy is a pain in the ass like no one

I have 3 Pics in QC since beginning of April. Wrote to support, nothing. Coronavirus is a good excuse but 2 months for approval is ridicoulous. On top of that, they let not pass through QC pics that are on other stock sites and also sold. 

And if you struggle with their QC they just block your account for a couple of days.

I made it to a sale of image at impressive 35 Dollars. Too bad its still not enough for payout. Payout is at 70. 

Just now, Marco Curaba said:

On top of that, they let not pass through QC pics that are on other stock sites and also sold. 

With Alamy, that shouldn't be an issue for royalty free images. Though it would likely be an issue with rights managed images.

8 hours ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

Since late March wait time has been a month due to pandemic.   their focus has been on existing contributors,  imagine that.😉

1 hour ago, Marco Curaba said:

Alamy is a pain in the ass like no one

I have 3 Pics in QC since beginning of April. Wrote to support, nothing. Coronavirus is a good excuse but 2 months for approval is ridicoulous. On top of that, they let not pass through QC pics that are on other stock sites and also sold. 

And if you struggle with their QC they just block your account for a couple of days.

I made it to a sale of image at impressive 35 Dollars. Too bad its still not enough for payout. Payout is at 70. 

yeah how bad of them to prioritise existing contributors,  and to have QC standards.  

you will be happier with SS, they don't do that.

1 hour ago, Patrick Cooper said:

With Alamy, that shouldn't be an issue for royalty free images. Though it would likely be an issue with rights managed images.

they accept RM from other site also.  you just need to be consistent,  you can't have an image RF in some places and RM in others.  i saw many editorial contributors that do both Alamy and Shutterstock RM.

13 minutes ago, jean-francois me said:

you can't have an image RF in some places and RM in others.  

Correct. I would never do such a thing myself. Ive made two sales on Alamy but Ive only got a very small port there. Both sales were editorial royalty free images which are also available on the micro sites. One of those images has also sold quite a few times on SS and IS. 

Take into account the latest developments on Shutterstock with the payment of fees, I think that many authors will go to other more stable stocks like Adobe or Istoсk