Jump to content

Our alternatives? AS, Alamy...???


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can go with those agencies you mentioned in the last sentence except Getty. Don't do that as they are the same or worse as SS and don't care about their contributors at all.

Our colleague, Alexandre Rotenberg, has written an in depth review about many agencies, revealing his May earnings at each of them. This won't help with SS but for those of you who want to know m

I just joined YayImages. They are a small site, which I think will stop many contributors from wanting to join in. BUT I am already a huge fan, simply because of how they treat photographers. I think

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, Sarah2 said:

How sad that people are reduced to considering sites like Yay whatever-they-call-themselves-these-days and Picfair.

I was thinking the same thing. Leave SS to "teach them a thing or two". Then join a nobody stock site that's invisible to search engines and customers alike....  🤨

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, oleschwander said:

Are you sure it’s Alamy? They Stopped a long time ago acceptTing new video submissions - as far as I know ..?

Yes pretty sure it was,  as I deleted my portfolio in red mist.... and they keep contacting me to apologise as some newspapers have stored my photo on disc and keep reusing them even though my portfolio is deleted. most infuriating. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only real contender to SS I feel is Adobe Stock. 

The rest seem to be heading down the dumps and may not worth the time/effort even with a fantastic program such as Stocksubmitter. 

Alamy is a good agency and average download royalties are attractive, but you'll need the right type of images on there which are generally quite specific editorials of people/places. 

Picfair or Yay...ffs...

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lucian Coman said:

Peace, the guy was asking for alternatives and............ boom a referral link to a failing microstock site with extremely low sales. Absolutely, if you want to praise a stock site and advertise them make a new post and say so. Advertising on a post of a chap during the  ShutterPandemic is kind of creepy .

Yeah, when you put it that way I can see how it comes across bad. I really didn't intend for it to come across that way, so my apologies! I don't spend much time on the forums, the last week has made up about half my time here. I can be a bit oblivious to the proper etiquette. And maybe just a bit oblivious in general  🙈

I also didn't know people would view them as a "failing" site, but rather just a smaller one. IMO the difference is big - did they used to be a popular site & now are not?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I'm not sure how many people already know about this - but I just recently discovered MicrostockPlus through the microstock forums. Never heard of it before now, but I love it. For those who don't know, you upload your images there, add the title/description/keywords (or it auto-adds them if it's embedded in the image), choose categories, and then you can upload it to all the popular agencies (I believe 15+ options) from there. I've been using it to super easily submit my whole portfolio to a couple sites, and also for quickly submitting single images to sites that I had previously not uploaded them to. I wish I'd found this years ago

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Photography by Adri said:

Also, I'm not sure how many people already know about this - but I just recently discovered MicrostockPlus through the microstock forums. Never heard of it before now, but I love it. For those who don't know, you upload your images there, add the title/description/keywords (or it auto-adds them if it's embedded in the image), choose categories, and then you can upload it to all the popular agencies (I believe 15+ options) from there. I've been using it to super easily submit my whole portfolio to a couple sites, and also for quickly submitting single images to sites that I had previously not uploaded them to. I wish I'd found this years ago

The same system as Wirestock. Didn't know there was another such service. To me it's a great idea, since all the work captioning and keywording images isn't rewarded, so taking away the boring part seems wise to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Amateur here with a tiny, mediocre port.  From now on I plan to focus only on... Flickr.

Originally came here thinking it would be nice to make a little money off my hobby.  I learned a lot.  Only made $60 in 3 years (I'd guess SS made $200-300 off that?).  So it was a waste of time before, but now it's just an insult.  Further contributions will only contribute to rising inequality. 

I plan to wait a month and see how it goes.  (Perhaps sales will increase dramatically?)  But without a change, SS is not worth bothering with anymore.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

Just had an advert on my facebook for "coded" saying about stock photography but the site it goes to is for code designers so not sure if it is serious

I'm only on Shutterstock, but have stopped downloading. I 've looked at all stocksites but have not yet made up my mind. When I looked on insects on Alarmy (of which I have many photos) I saw a photo of you.  

I am thinking of putting at least some photos there. What are your experiences (not only for Starsphinx of course)? I saw Alexandre wrote that Alarmy was more for editorial photos. 

Working for a European instead of an American company is also sometimes fun. 🙂

Supplement: I signed up with Alarmy. I had to send three photos without text. They are first inspected before I can continue. That may take some time. I'm not the only one apparently.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

I'm only on Shutterstock, but have stopped downloading. I 've looked at all stocksites but have not yet made up my mind. When I looked on insects on Alarmy (of which I have many photos) I saw a photo of you.  

I am thinking of putting at least some photos there. What are your experiences (not only for Starsphinx of course)? I saw Alexandre wrote that Alarmy was more for editorial photos. 

Working for a European instead of an American company is also sometimes fun. 🙂

Supplement: I signed up with Alarmy. I had to send three photos without text. They are first inspected before I can continue. That may take some time. I'm not the only one apparently.

 

I have to say for me Alamy has been disappointing - I see very few sales there (9 in 2 years) 5 of which were live news - and the biggest price was just over $13 so I saw just under $7 for it - and still have not made minimum payout.  Here I had a sale last month that netted me $50 - so goodness knows what the price was, and with a smaller port than at Alamy I am seeing 15+ sales a month - which OK is not a lot but my ports both places are small.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

I'm only on Shutterstock, but have stopped downloading. I 've looked at all stocksites but have not yet made up my mind. When I looked on insects on Alarmy (of which I have many photos) I saw a photo of you.  

I am thinking of putting at least some photos there. What are your experiences (not only for Starsphinx of course)? I saw Alexandre wrote that Alarmy was more for editorial photos. 

Working for a European instead of an American company is also sometimes fun. 🙂

Supplement: I signed up with Alarmy. I had to send three photos without text. They are first inspected before I can continue. That may take some time. I'm not the only one apparently.

 

I see you're based in the Netherlands, so having lived there for a few years (2014-2016), here are some of my images on Alamy that have sold from there to give you an idea what the buyers are looking for. Some good (net) prices too. 

As mentioned earlier, Alamy buyers are mainly corporate-types and want specific editorials of people/places to be used in their media.

bike.JPG

hague.JPG

market.JPG

rotterdam.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Starsphinx said:

I have to say for me Alamy has been disappointing - I see very few sales there (9 in 2 years) 5 of which were live news - and the biggest price was just over $13 so I saw just under $7 for it - and still have not made minimum payout.  Here I had a sale last month that netted me $50 - so goodness knows what the price was, and with a smaller port than at Alamy I am seeing 15+ sales a month - which OK is not a lot but my ports both places are small.

Thanks. Until June I was very satisfied about Shutterstock. At the moment it is always 0.10 and very strange.. mainly in the Netherlands. That was less last month. Probably by chance.
I wait until I am accepted at Alarmy and then I put at least some pictures on. But don't expect too much.

1 hour ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

I see you're based in the Netherlands, so having lived there for a few years (2014-2016), here are some of my images on Alamy that have sold from there to give you an idea what the buyers are looking for. Some good (net) prices too. 

As mentioned earlier, Alamy buyers are mainly corporate-types and want specific editorials of people/places to be used in their media.

Thanks. Beautiful pictures. My daughter works in Rotterdam and has lived near the market hall. I hardly get out of my village because of the corona. There will be more tourists again, so I can take pictures of that.
The hotels are receiving guests again. I will take some pictures of the hotels and terraces. I also sold this photo (100 meters from my house) on SS when there was no tourist to be found.

stock-photo-bergen-netherlands-march-hotel-marijke-with-bicycles-that-can-be-rented-in-the-dutch-1679067202.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Alamy is a pain in the ass like no one

I have 3 Pics in QC since beginning of April. Wrote to support, nothing. Coronavirus is a good excuse but 2 months for approval is ridicoulous. On top of that, they let not pass through QC pics that are on other stock sites and also sold. 

And if you struggle with their QC they just block your account for a couple of days.

I made it to a sale of image at impressive 35 Dollars. Too bad its still not enough for payout. Payout is at 70. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Marco Curaba said:

On top of that, they let not pass through QC pics that are on other stock sites and also sold. 

 

With Alamy, that shouldn't be an issue for royalty free images. Though it would likely be an issue with rights managed images.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

I'm only on Shutterstock, but have stopped downloading. I 've looked at all stocksites but have not yet made up my mind. When I looked on insects on Alarmy (of which I have many photos) I saw a photo of you.  

I am thinking of putting at least some photos there. What are your experiences (not only for Starsphinx of course)? I saw Alexandre wrote that Alarmy was more for editorial photos. 

Working for a European instead of an American company is also sometimes fun. 🙂

Supplement: I signed up with Alarmy. I had to send three photos without text. They are first inspected before I can continue. That may take some time. I'm not the only one apparently.

 

 

 

Since late March wait time has been a month due to pandemic.   their focus has been on existing contributors,  imagine that.😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marco Curaba said:

Alamy is a pain in the ass like no one

I have 3 Pics in QC since beginning of April. Wrote to support, nothing. Coronavirus is a good excuse but 2 months for approval is ridicoulous. On top of that, they let not pass through QC pics that are on other stock sites and also sold. 

And if you struggle with their QC they just block your account for a couple of days.

I made it to a sale of image at impressive 35 Dollars. Too bad its still not enough for payout. Payout is at 70. 

yeah how bad of them to prioritise existing contributors,  and to have QC standards.  

 

you will be happier with SS, they don't do that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patrick Cooper said:

With Alamy, that shouldn't be an issue for royalty free images. Though it would likely be an issue with rights managed images.

they accept RM from other site also.  you just need to be consistent,  you can't have an image RF in some places and RM in others.  i saw many editorial contributors that do both Alamy and Shutterstock RM.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jean-francois me said:

you can't have an image RF in some places and RM in others.  

Correct. I would never do such a thing myself. Ive made two sales on Alamy but Ive only got a very small port there. Both sales were editorial royalty free images which are also available on the micro sites. One of those images has also sold quite a few times on SS and IS. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jean-francois me said:

yeah how bad of them to prioritise existing contributors,  and to have QC standards.  

 

you will be happier with SS, they don't do that.

before talking you should know. I am an existing contributor at alamy since approx 1 year or so. 

QC standards are ok to have. But it's stupid to ask more then other stock agencies do

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...