Jump to content

Our alternatives? AS, Alamy...???


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Patricio_Murphy said:

I'll have to have a look at Alamy then. I haven't because I was there years ago and had a bad experience, and also because my ZUMA Press work goes there through a partnership, but it's worth to have a try if editorial is strong there, most of my sales are editorial.

note that i have struggled so far with images from smaller and developing world markets, as their news industry relies on local sources. It is a totally different market, and it does seem that you really need to spend time to optimize your portfolio for their searches.  Many people who upload generic one size fits all sets of images (eg. same generic caption on all, no use of supertag) often come back complaining of lack of sales .

 

and they also suffer from similar problems as other in the industry with ridiculous deals with specific clients where you end up with under $1 licencing fee 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can go with those agencies you mentioned in the last sentence except Getty. Don't do that as they are the same or worse as SS and don't care about their contributors at all.

Our colleague, Alexandre Rotenberg, has written an in depth review about many agencies, revealing his May earnings at each of them. This won't help with SS but for those of you who want to know m

I just joined YayImages. They are a small site, which I think will stop many contributors from wanting to join in. BUT I am already a huge fan, simply because of how they treat photographers. I think

Posted Images

The best and fairest alternative is Picfair.com - https://www.picfair.com/. They let you set your own price and add their 20% percent on top of that. It's the most honest model. I believe - if thousands of stock photographers would move there and advertise that site to their clients, their popularity would grown enormously and thus the sales there. With much larger price return, would soon be surpassing the income here... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Gtranquillity said:

I had an account on Yaymicro ages ago and had it deleted as sales were non existant. I signed up at Yayimages yesterday seeing Adri's link after doing a Google search given the similarity of the names but thought it were two different companies. I'm still confused and surely will not upload there if it turns out they are one and the same company just with a different name.

I believe it is the same, it seems you still have to use same ftp settings for upload

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Ikars said:

The best and fairest alternative is Picfair.com - https://www.picfair.com/. They let you set your own price and add their 20% percent on top of that. It's the most honest model. I believe - if thousands of stock photographers would move there and advertise that site to their clients, their popularity would grown enormously and thus the sales there. With much larger price return, would soon be surpassing the income here... 

In several years, just one sale... It's a honest site, true. But for a business, why pay 10usd if they can buy an image for a fraction? I don't know what Picfair's market is

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Ikars said:

The best and fairest alternative is Picfair.com - https://www.picfair.com/. They let you set your own price and add their 20% percent on top of that. It's the most honest model. I believe - if thousands of stock photographers would move there and advertise that site to their clients, their popularity would grown enormously and thus the sales there. With much larger price return, would soon be surpassing the income here... 

what customer base do they have?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jean-francois me said:

what customer base do they have?  

Don't know, but judging from others experience, currently it is small. I just think this is a moment to support and grow them. Of course, the main problem is - how to add them to Xpiks or similar software support. Then it's doesn't ask for much just to upload together with others (Alamy, Adobe, Depositphotos to name as first). Should have to contact Picfair in order they contact with the developer of Xpiks. Maybe will write them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, geogif said:

Picfair earns money by offering a market place for the contributors fotos.

Instead of own website. It is not a usual MS company.

I sold exactly 1 foto there over two years - But had more than 80000 views.

Well, but what does it mean? It means that exposure is very good there, that there are people who comes and see the photos... Why they didn't buy? Maybe you set too high price?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Patricio_Murphy said:

In several years, just one sale... It's a honest site, true. But for a business, why pay 10usd if they can buy an image for a fraction? I don't know what Picfair's market is

Well, yeah, but then - why some folks still spend tens and even hundreds on Alamy and even more expensive sites?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Lucian Coman said:

The guy asked for a honest opinion, may I know why you troll his post with referral links where you get a commission to a crap site as YAY ?

Crap site? Everything she wrote is true. YAY is Norwegian company, BTW. It's up to author if she/he will decide to open an account there. So, I guess you are on YAY and you wrote precious comment from your own experiences? She did. You? ;) No hard feelings! Just an opinion. Oh, I'm there, at YAY. But my photos sucks, so ... not a lot of sales for me there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ikars said:

Don't know, but judging from others experience, currently it is small. I just think this is a moment to support and grow them. Of course, the main problem is - how to add them to Xpiks or similar software support. Then it's doesn't ask for much just to upload together with others (Alamy, Adobe, Depositphotos to name as first). Should have to contact Picfair in order they contact with the developer of Xpiks. Maybe will write them. 

do they offer RM option?

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Photography by Adri said:

I just joined YayImages. They are a small site, which I think will stop many contributors from wanting to join in. BUT I am already a huge fan, simply because of how they treat photographers. I think that if we want to take a stand against companies treating us like crap, it's super important to stand with the companies who want to treat us well. These guys offer 50% commission, and the customer support is super kind and helpful. I plan on uploading my entire portfolio here.

https://www.yayimages.com/contributors?ref=911PDAP

"The commission is 50 % to contributors on all single image sales. For subscriptions the commission is 1,5 euro per download for high-res, €0.75 for medium sized images and €0.20 for small images.

On all our partner sales we offer you a 50% commission. Our partners license your images at different prices, ranging from microstock prices like YAY's, and up to several hundred dollars for an image. You will always get a 50% cut on what we get for a license!

It is important for us at YAY that photographers get a fair commission!

We use PayPal for payouts, if PayPal is not available in your country – please contact us on contribute@yaymicro.com and we’ll arrange another payout option for you (we also support MoneyBookers). Payout limit is 30 euro."

Wrote this ... I agree with you, Agri. It's up to author to try luck! ;)

....

18 hours ago, Lucian Coman said:

The guy asked for a honest opinion, may I know why you troll his post with referral links where you get a commission to a crap site as YAY ?

Crap site? Everything she wrote is true. YAY is Norwegian company, BTW. It's up to author if she/he will decide to open an account there. So, I guess you are on YAY and you wrote precious comment from your own experiences? She did. You? ;) No hard feelings! Just an opinion. Oh, I'm there, at YAY. But my photos sucks, so ... not a lot of sales for me there.

....

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ikars said:

Why they didn't buy? Maybe you set too high price?

Number of views is high, because they count every click, not only customer, just anybody.

Prices I tried high, tried low, tried mixture.....

In fact I never have heard of anyone who makes good sals at Picfair.

I wish they would, their model is fair and friendly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ikars said:

Well, yeah, but then - why some folks still spend tens and even hundreds on Alamy and even more expensive sites?

Because even on a site like Shutterstock, you're getting images for cheap only if you're buying a pack of 350 or 750 images for which you pay 200-250 dollars a month. So if you need just one or two images, it isn't really very cheap. And sometimes, sites like Alamy offer better/similar deals for a single image than many of the microstock sites do.

There's also the fact that once people are used to buying images from a site, they keep doing it and may not be aware of better deals available on other sites.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ikars said:

Well, yeah, but then - why some folks still spend tens and even hundreds on Alamy and even more expensive sites?

You have a point.

Still, I think there's no way of doing stock on our own. Yes, we can reach small clients and do some sales, but for stock photography stock sites are the way to go, for better or worse...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Our colleague, Alexandre Rotenberg, has written an in depth review about many agencies, revealing his May earnings at each of them.

This won't help with SS but for those of you who want to know more about many other agencies, this could be a good guide.

Here's the link, with his approval: https://brutallyhonestmicrostock.com/2020/05/29/may-2020-brutally-honest-earnings-report-shocking-shutterstock-news/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Primus1 said:

Crap site? Everything she wrote is true. YAY is Norwegian company, BTW. It's up to author if she/he will decide to open an account there. So, I guess you are on YAY and you wrote precious comment from your own experiences? She did. You? ;) No hard feelings! Just an opinion. Oh, I'm there, at YAY. But my photos sucks, so ... not a lot of sales for me there.

Yep I was there as a trial for 1 year, and is crap. Anyway she is not suppose to put referral links . on a time like this with SS, is a bit idiotic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lucian Coman said:

Yep I was there as a trial for 1 year, and is crap. Anyway she is not suppose to put referral links . on a time like this with SS, is a bit idiotic.

OK, then! Appologize. :) Mine photos do not sell either. They are crap. Agree about referral, missed that in a post. Little bit ... not fine to do that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Photography by Adri said:

I was not trolling, I was giving my honest opinion. And I don't see the issue with referral links, I wouldn't have any problems with another contributor posting a ref link when recommending a site. If anything I'd encourage it, since they'd get commission if people sign up, but that's just my opinion

 

I haven't heard about this! Thanks for letting me know. I'll have to look into it a bit more. Maybe I'll contact support and ask them directly as well

Peace, the guy was asking for alternatives and............ boom a referral link to a failing microstock site with extremely low sales. Absolutely, if you want to praise a stock site and advertise them make a new post and say so. Advertising on a post of a chap during the  ShutterPandemic is kind of creepy .

Link to post
Share on other sites

HI everyone, very disappointed that ss going down this path. My experience with other places:

Deleted my portfolio from Alamy when I received $8 for a video that POND5 paid me $43.

Still trying to get to payment threshold on ISTOCK, its not ideal.

Deleting my top best sellers from SS. Am mostly editorial but usually made $50/60 month.  10 cents...sorry I am not even sure what that is in pounds ..not worth the hassle.

Screenshot 2020-06-03 at 11.58.44.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...