Our alternatives? AS, Alamy...???

Hi everyone. 
Following the latest SS “updates” 😀 just want to ask for your opinion on what other alternatives we have at the moment.

I am new to SS (just over a year) and spent few years with AS (since Fotolia ) and Alamy. Pond 5 for videos, not exclusive.

Quite happy with payments and number of sales with AS. I did a quick research and managed to select few other platforms for sharing content and just want ask you to share your experience and opinions about the following agencies, if possible. 

Adobe Stock, Alamy, Dreamstime, Depositphotos, Getty... ?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can go with those agencies you mentioned in the last sentence except Getty. Don't do that as they are the same or worse as SS and don't care about their contributors at all.

Our colleague, Alexandre Rotenberg, has written an in depth review about many agencies, revealing his May earnings at each of them. This won't help with SS but for those of you who want to know m

I just joined YayImages. They are a small site, which I think will stop many contributors from wanting to join in. BUT I am already a huge fan, simply because of how they treat photographers. I think

Posted Images

I was going to post this same question and no longer feel bad as if its taboo since no one responds when we have questions about the new pricing plan. I also have Pnd5 come up by many people.

My top list will be adobe, pond 5, alamy and maybe dreamstime - I also get sales on Eyeem- though the upload process is cumbersome. Good luck all. Will be turning off my account here soon as well.

I just joined YayImages. They are a small site, which I think will stop many contributors from wanting to join in. BUT I am already a huge fan, simply because of how they treat photographers. I think that if we want to take a stand against companies treating us like crap, it's super important to stand with the companies who want to treat us well. These guys offer 50% commission, and the customer support is super kind and helpful. I plan on uploading my entire portfolio here.

https://www.yayimages.com/contributors?ref=911PDAP

"The commission is 50 % to contributors on all single image sales. For subscriptions the commission is 1,5 euro per download for high-res, €0.75 for medium sized images and €0.20 for small images.

On all our partner sales we offer you a 50% commission. Our partners license your images at different prices, ranging from microstock prices like YAY's, and up to several hundred dollars for an image. You will always get a 50% cut on what we get for a license!

It is important for us at YAY that photographers get a fair commission!

We use PayPal for payouts, if PayPal is not available in your country – please contact us on contribute@yaymicro.com and we’ll arrange another payout option for you (we also support MoneyBookers). Payout limit is 30 euro."

7 hours ago, DiMagio said:

Hi everyone. 
Following the latest SS “updates” 😀 just want to ask for your opinion on what other alternatives we have at the moment.

I am new to SS (just over a year) and spent few years with AS (since Fotolia ) and Alamy. Pond 5 for videos, not exclusive.

Quite happy with payments and number of sales with AS. I did a quick research and managed to select few other platforms for sharing content and just want ask you to share your experience and opinions about the following agencies, if possible. 

Adobe Stock, Alamy, Dreamstime, Depositphotos, Getty... ?

Since you have experience with lifestyle work, I'd recommend Addictive Stock

Adri, thanks for the recommendation for YayImages. I read their terms and conditions but don't recall seeing if images hosted there are exclusive or non exclusive. I just assume they're non exclusive. I see they also allow customers to download images as Rights Managed editorial. I wonder if this would cause any issues if the same images were available as RM on another site like Alamy. I also note they sell stock footage but don't have any information about submitting videos or video commissions. Maybe that's not available for contributors right now.

50 minutes ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Adri, thanks for the recommendation for YayImages. I read their terms and conditions but don't recall seeing if images hosted there are exclusive or non exclusive. I just assume they're non exclusive. I see they also allow customers to download images as Rights Managed editorial. I wonder if this would cause any issues if the same images were available as RM on another site like Alamy. I also note they sell stock footage but don't have any information about submitting videos or video commissions. Maybe that's not available for contributors right now.

"will receive a 50% commission per individual file sale" So from what I understand it's 50% for images and for videos too

1 hour ago, Photography by Adri said:

I just joined YayImages. They are a small site, which I think will stop many contributors from wanting to join in. BUT I am already a huge fan, simply because of how they treat photographers. I think that if we want to take a stand against companies treating us like crap, it's super important to stand with the companies who want to treat us well. These guys offer 50% commission, and the customer support is super kind and helpful. I plan on uploading my entire portfolio here.

"The commission is 50 % to contributors on all single image sales. For subscriptions the commission is 1,5 euro per download for high-res, €0.75 for medium sized images and €0.20 for small images.

On all our partner sales we offer you a 50% commission. Our partners license your images at different prices, ranging from microstock prices like YAY's, and up to several hundred dollars for an image. You will always get a 50% cut on what we get for a license!

We use PayPal for payouts, if PayPal is not available in your country – please contact us on contribute@yaymicro.com and we’ll arrange another payout option for you (we also support MoneyBookers). Payout limit is 30 euro."

Just i saved the link thank you so much @Photography by Adri i will check tonight

There are some discussions about Yay on the Microstock forums. Apparently, there is one aspect about them which is a bit risky. If, for whatever reason, you decide to close your account, those same images may continue to be sold through their partner sites and you're unlikely to receive the money. Unless you can track down the individual companies. If you delete images from Yay's database, those same images can still be made available for sale through the partner sites and in that scenario, I have no idea if you'd get payed for them or not. 

21 minutes ago, Lukasz Obermann said:

"will receive a 50% commission per individual file sale" So from what I understand it's 50% for images and for videos too

True. Though there's no technical requirements for video submissions that I could see.

2 hours ago, Photography by Adri said:

The guy asked for a honest opinion, may I know why you troll his post with referral links where you get a commission to a crap site as YAY ?

14 hours ago, Lucian Coman said:

The guy asked for a honest opinion, may I know why you troll his post with referral links where you get a commission to a crap site as YAY ?

I was not trolling, I was giving my honest opinion. And I don't see the issue with referral links, I wouldn't have any problems with another contributor posting a ref link when recommending a site. If anything I'd encourage it, since they'd get commission if people sign up, but that's just my opinion

15 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

There are some discussions about Yay on the Microstock forums. Apparently, there is one aspect about them which is a bit risky. If, for whatever reason, you decide to close your account, those same images may continue to be sold through their partner sites and you're unlikely to receive the money. Unless you can track down the individual companies. If you delete images from Yay's database, those same images can still be made available for sale through the partner sites and in that scenario, I have no idea if you'd get payed for them or not. 

I haven't heard about this! Thanks for letting me know. I'll have to look into it a bit more. Maybe I'll contact support and ask them directly as well

Well i am uploading and distributing through Wirestock... they keyword and submit the images to all agencies. They take only 15 percent for from your provision and images are named under Wirestock. They support Shutterstock, Adobe, Alamy, Dreamstime, Depositphotos and Pond5 at the moment.

But to not having to keyword anymore and not need to get headache were to submit i can life without this 15 percent in this times were efficiency is more then important. Honestly i believe it is the best option for me and cant see myself doing to much effort to upload.

1 hour ago, Photography by Adri said:

I was not trolling, I was giving my honest opinion. And I don't see the issue with referral links, I wouldn't have any problems with another contributor posting a ref link when recommending a site. If anything I'd encourage it, since they'd get commission if people sign up, but that's just my opinion

I haven't heard about this! Thanks for letting me know. I'll have to look into it a bit more. Maybe I'll contact support and ask them directly as well

Can't figure is it Yayimages or Yaymicro? It's like the same, or not? Also, it seems they no longer accept editorial photos?

15 hours ago, R Scott James said:

My largest port is on Alamy. Good company good payouts but sales are less than SS. But I make more overall on Alamy

someone with a good true editorial portfolio (stuff for papers, magazines and books) like you likely would. Also seems to help to have a UK and US focus where they have sales office.   

Many of the typical SS portfolio would struggle there.

7 minutes ago, 1000 Words Photos said:

Well i am uploading and distributing through Wirestock... they keyword and submit the images to all agencies. They take only 15 percent for from your provision and images are named under Wirestock. They support Shutterstock, Adobe, Alamy, Dreamstime, Depositphotos and Pond5 at the moment.

But to not having to keyword anymore and not need to get headache were to submit i can life without this 15 percent in this times were efficiency is more then important.

You have a huge portfolio on SS. Since you can't upload same photos through WS, how is that working out? And can you please compare earnings between two methods - going through SS and through WS? Do you feel your photos on WS are getting discovered easily, although everything is automated by the website?

Thanks

1 hour ago, 1000 Words Photos said:

But to not having to keyword anymore and not need to get headache were to submit i can life without this 15 percent in this times were efficiency is more then important. Honestly i believe it is the best option for me and cant see myself doing to much effort to upload.

I'm going the same way. If stock doesn't pay well, it makes sense to cut part of the job, more if it's the boring part. Yesterday I got a mail from them announcing a new partnership and that some pictures would be placed in a new "pay in advance" system, where this new partner would pay some 4 dollars in advance for any future sales of the pictures they selected.Not sure if they'll select any, but sounds like a good idea in this times. I'll update here when this actually happens next week.

On the down side, keywording could be better. Say you're a nature photographer, be sure to send the reviewer a message telling the exact species in the picture, otherwise you'll have an egret described as "beautiful big white bird" or something like that...

1 hour ago, Mirko Kuzmanovic said:

Can't figure is it Yayimages or Yaymicro? It's like the same, or not? Also, it seems they no longer accept editorial photos?

I had an account on Yaymicro ages ago and had it deleted as sales were non existant. I signed up at Yayimages yesterday seeing Adri's link after doing a Google search given the similarity of the names but thought it were two different companies. I'm still confused and surely will not upload there if it turns out they are one and the same company just with a different name.

1 hour ago, jean-francois me said:

someone with a good true editorial portfolio (stuff for papers, magazines and books) like you likely would. Also seems to help to have a UK and US focus where they have sales office.   

Many of the typical SS portfolio would struggle there.

I'll have to have a look at Alamy then. I haven't because I was there years ago and had a bad experience, and also because my ZUMA Press work goes there through a partnership, but it's worth to have a try if editorial is strong there, most of my sales are editorial.