Romana Krizkova

We shall set the price of our work not SS

As of June 1st I will be deactivating my SS accunt. I think it's time we the contributors dictated the price not the agency who clearly works only for themselves. They clearly don't work for us, neither with us. It makes no sence for me to create content which can be bought for 10 cents per image. I think it should be at least 1 $ per image. Stock photography is only my hobby, but I don't see a reason why contributors should get dimes and the agency should get 85%?? WTF!!! In my current job I get 20$/hour, so whyy should I work for 10 or 25 cents? It's time stood united and dictated the price! 

Shutterstock has never allowed you to set their price. It's a play game by their rules. Fortunatelly there are other known options that let you do that and keep a nice percentage of the sale.

5 hours ago, Romana Krizkova said:

As of June 1st I will be deactivating my SS accunt. I think it's time we the contributors dictated the price not the agency who clearly works only for themselves. They clearly don't work for us, neither with us. It makes no sence for me to create content which can be bought for 10 cents per image. I think it should be at least 1 $ per image. Stock photography is only my hobby, but I don't see a reason why contributors should get dimes and the agency should get 85%?? WTF!!! In my current job I get 20$/hour, so whyy should I work for 10 or 25 cents? It's time stood united and dictated the price! 

you could always set the price, however you decided to use SS as your agent which removed that option.  

The issue is as Agent they should allow us to decide where are work is distributed- other agents i have used in  the past, always have provided me with the option to say no to certain markets, environment.  Say NO to large subscription plan. 

ps. nice typo 🙂 

There are a lot of choices here.  SS is one option.  They bring the web hosting, the customers, the search engine, enforcement against customers breaking the rules, etc.  We bring our photos.  Because it's their playground, they get to set the rules, but it is always our choice to opt in or go play somewhere else.  

For me, what SS brings to the transaction outweighs what I'm bringing, so I am content with the 25cents I've been getting.  But I'm not yet sure if I'll be content with the new price structure.  The price increase seems much easier for me to meet that I could get more than 25cents per image if I put some effort into it is attractive.  But the annual reset seems a bit daunting.  

I've got other irons in the fire so I'm not going to be uploading or leaving SS until I see where this change leads.  But I have been looking into selling stock photos on etsy where I can choose my own price.  Etsy also takes fees, but they provide a nice search engine and payment processing which I like.  But they don't have the advantages of a stock agency.  So I don't know yet if it's worth the bother.  

Welcome to the digital world of algorithms.

All internet algorithm sites that offer services or products, that they do not produce themselves, are just a race to the bottom for every contributor who participates in them, whether you are a photographer on a microsite or a hotel owner on a tourist site like booking.com. 

It will be interesting to see how many contributors close their accounts. Many are saying they will be gone. I bookmarked the discussion about it in the Announcement section so I can go back and see if they actually followed through. I don't believe most of them will follow through. They will choke down that .10 return on their photos and hard work. I started with SS in 2006. It was a good run for a while. I've seen the handwriting on the wall for a couple of years or more now regarding my own content. I am aware my subject matter isn't what most buyers are looking for when they buy from SS, but I've also seen contributors featured who do the same thing I do. It's never been a level playing field and now it's only going to be worse. This month I barely made payout. 

There is a stock photo site called Picfair.com. They let you set your own price for photos and then add their 20% margin on top of that. I'm thinking about moving many photos there. If many photographers would do that, and also advertise that site to clients, it could create a revolution in stock photo industry. 

18 minutes ago, Oliver Denker said:

Welcome to the digital world of algorithms.

All internet algorithm sites that offer services or products, that they do not produce themselves, are just a race to the bottom for every contributor who participates in them, whether you are a photographer on a microsite or a hotel owner on a tourist site like booking.com. 

well, there is a difference though. A hotel owner still sets his own prices, by fairly competing in a free market economy. That's a good thing. But stock photo market is completely crooked - because we don't compete ourselves, a stock site is setting the funny prices and then pays out even more funny percents to us.. 

After the new ridiculous commission structure for contributors, who let`s be honest is the people that keeps Shutterstock in business, I have decided to pause my account and not upload any new content to Shutterstock. There is fortunatly other good sites that gives you a fair percentage for each sale :)