How to deactivate your images

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fed up with getting screwed by Shutterstock? Is the opportunity to get paid less each year the last straw? Deactivate your images/videos. On your dashboard page, hover over your name. Click on "Accoun

Going to finish out this month then deactivate clips and images on June 1.  If enough people do this, maybe SS will reverse this god-awful decision to screw us over.

I had purposely stopped contributing to iStock because the poor payout structure was pretty insulting. But with this new payout structure with SS, I would be better off dedicating my time to iStock si

Posted Images

I'm stunned by Shutterstock's latest of making us all work back up the commission levels EACH YEAR.  It gives the shaft to long term contributors in a BIG WAY.  More interesting is how they are locking any threads where we discuss it.  They seem to be taking their cue from YouTube which has started to engage in heavy censorship.  ALL SS has done since day one is devalue photography and the perception of the value of our work across the entire industry and cut earnings to photographers.  IT'S TIME TO TELL SS TO F.O.A.D.  I can't say what that stand for in a forum but the last three words are Off And Die.

2 hours ago, Photography by Adri said:

I had purposely stopped contributing to iStock because the poor payout structure was pretty insulting. But with this new payout structure with SS, I would be better off dedicating my time to iStock simply because I get more sales there. Even with a smaller port. Adobe, and Pond5 have my full port since they pay well. Definitely considering jumping on the bandwagon and deleting everything on the 1st. This is ridiculous

Adobe is currently the only agency trying to hold the line against the race to the bottom and i hope it takes over the market soon.  The way things are going at SS they will soon be asking us to PAY to submit content.

11 minutes ago, yusia said:

Where did you see this? Can't find it in the announcement. 

In the "official" Shutterstock announcement post on here. Another person on that thread also did this graph. Math looks accurate to me:

image.png.9ed01917553717df644afbaf4e6eb280.png

Again, not my work, but looks accurate. On the thread, Kate Shutterstock said no single license would result in less than a 10 cent commission. The chart shows that with the larger subscriptions, even the highest tiers get at most 15 cents per image....had been a flat 38 cents for the highest earners.

24 minutes ago, yusia said:

Where did you see this? Can't find it in the announcement. 

Kate Shutterstock

1 hour ago, Manon_Labe said:

Без названия.jpg

This is not correct.

When the new earnings structure goes into effect, the payout for subscription plans will not be less than 10¢.

Actual link to the discussion (page 19 about halfway down I think):

@Kate Shutterstock 25 cents is really low for a photo, but that is insulting. I'm also considering deactivating my portfolio, I spend more in fuel to get to the places than what you will pay us for it. At least the level should be calculated from the sales of the last 12 months... And in the main thread another contributor posted a very good list of our demands.

6 minutes ago, Aspen Photo said:

Kate Shutterstock

This is not correct.

When the new earnings structure goes into effect, the payout for subscription plans will not be less than 10¢.

Actual link to the discussion (page 19 about halfway down I think):

Thanks a bunch!

I'm tired of being spit upon by all the different agencies. The only way to put a stop to this is if we band together. As of right now I am creating the Stock Submitters Coalition. It is and will always be free to join. My hope is that we can get enough contributors on board that the companies have to take us seriously when we bring issues to them. The first step is to get an idea of how many people would join such a coalition. I have created a form. If you are interested in putting more control back into the hands of contributors please sign the form. Also share it in every forum and social media outlet you can think of to make its presence known. https://forms.gle/zrq3RswRpYsu6jmq6

8 hours ago, Richard Whitcombe said:

If everyone deactivated on Jan 1st it would send more of a message.

I have fairly low sales right now so not much to lose in the near term by deactivating now. I think it would be a better statement if the data department says to management *this week* we have lots of people halting their licensing... so would encourage if you CAN halt it, even for a week, just go ahead and do it.  

To test this I flipped the status to "off" which triggered a change notification email to me, then 5 minutes later changed it to "on" which did the same. No effect on the library -- everything still safe.  I tried to flip it back to "off" again but the system flagged, "You have changed your settings too many times today. Please try again later.", so I will go back in later and deactivate my library for the immediate future, and evaluate based on any response from SS.

10 hours ago, MSPhotographic said:

Adobe is currently the only agency trying to hold the line against the race to the bottom and i hope it takes over the market soon.

Adobe has an income stream entirely separate from what it gets from contributors.  SS doesn't.  If everyone shut down their ports at AS, Adobe would still laugh all the way to the bank.  I don't think the same could be said for SS.

The only "NO" vote we have is this:

2020-05-26_13-47-24.thumb.jpg.bb9f0077cd9fb2ffdacc1c4c805d24cd.jpg

If you don't like this new no earnings structure, make sure you vote no. 

10 hours ago, Jake Sorensen said:

I'm tired of being spit upon by all the different agencies. The only way to put a stop to this is if we band together. As of right now I am creating the Stock Submitters Coalition. It is and will always be free to join. My hope is that we can get enough contributors on board that the companies have to take us seriously when we bring issues to them. The first step is to get an idea of how many people would join such a coalition. I have created a form. If you are interested in putting more control back into the hands of contributors please sign the form. Also share it in every forum and social media outlet you can think of to make its presence known. https://forms.gle/zrq3RswRpYsu6jmq6

come in and unite!!!!!

17 hours ago, Photography by Adri said:

Maybe we shouldn't wait to do it until June 1st. Why not just do it now? Others are already doing it

I did not see any reason for waiting. Hope it will make an impact, my hope and wish doesn't get far. Turning my back on SS, and not looking back, will do better for myself. 

The end for Shutterstock.JPG

The answer on the following message came via chat in which a also contributor just told me how to cancel my account!

Hi there,

I am a contributor since 2013 and I have earned more than 34 000 U$
You know what your share was for the time of our cooperation.

I am not accepting the new rules, especially the fact every January the accounts are reset and everybody starts with 15%
it might sound good regarding YOUR earnings, but is on the costs of your hard working contributors.
The argument you want to contributors to submit fresh content, which is hot to day and probably dead by tomorrow.
I am submitting mainly underwater stock footage ...high quality content.
This is a market which always works, even and especially in times of change.

But you are setting the rules and I simply cannot accept them.
I never accepted exclusivity deals ...and what just happens is exactly the reason, ...never ever get dependent on one agency!
I am selling on pond 5, adobe stocks, naturefootage, framepool and 2 smaller ones, who give by the way a better share than the 65/35

By withdrawing my footage from shutterstock will make me more money with my other partners. Why should I accept 15% ?
Why should I kill my own business with other partners?

If you are not coming up with a new fresh idea ...a fair share as we agreed on before, ... my portfolio will be taken off the platform by the 1st of June.

By the way, I have another complaint active.
My experience recently, ...the staff reviewing content is highly incompetent or probably not motivated for reasons you know better than I do.

My opinion, you are killing your own business!

“Be the change you want to see in the world”
here the answer from Steve shutterstock ;O)
Hi Peter

I'm Stephen and I'm a Shutterstock contributor and expert user.
I don't have access to your images, account or your personal data but I am here to help answer your questions.

To completely delete your account and all personal information send your request to:
Privacy@shutterstock.com

best regards
Steve