Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

That guy above defending SS must be smoking a banana leaf! So I am to praise a company who would have nothing if it were not for the artist and then they

turn around and throw a cow Patti in my face. Nope they need to actually treat their suppliers with respect! 

4 hours ago, TBT Honest said:

Im good with SS new earnings change, I trust Shutterstock that they had no other choice but to do it, I have zero respect for contributors trashing Shutterstock online, on social media and in this forum and I think everyone that does it should be banned for life from SS.

Show some respect for the guys that put in tons of work for you to have a platform to sell your work in times when it’s heading straight to Unlimited free downloads, SS is doing it’s best to provide good sales EVERY SINGLE DAY !

Chill ! The entire world is on its knees with all this Corona Virus and you go around shaming SS ????????? Calling to ban them ???? 

10 cents minimus per sub? Work hard, be original, explore and I guarantee you’ll make 1 million sales a year. WORK HARD !  Work Harder !

90% of the negative comments here are from small lazy portfolios, SS Said in the email they want to reward hard working contributors and this is a great idea. 

If you’re here to make money, there is plenty! Plenty to make, Just put in the effort.

What other choice did SS have ? take a deep breath and think about it, look around, read the map and thank god every morning for SS.

People started posting financial reports (I read all of them when they come out) stating they have this much and that much, I wish SS will go back to the glory days of higher stock price, they deserve it, its an amazing platform with amazing people putting an amazing amount of hard work for you to be able to do what you love and get paid on time and run it like clock work. SHOW SOME RESPECT ! 

And for the love of god, the Levels are perfectly balanced, wanna go level 6? Do you want SS to create a level 7 just for you? WORK FOR IT ! 

I think SS should remove any account that also sell at these “unlimited” sites, that is giving SS a bad name.

Long live SHUTTERSTOCK, a fair, welcoming and professional company.

Shutterstock is doing the right thing for them and for US.

I don’t work for SS (I wish I did, honestly).

I don’t know anyone that works for SS.

I am a contributor just like you, Not a top contributor but not a small one.

@Kate Shutterstock

On the subject of respect:

Yes, it is certainly right that we should all treat each other with respect - among ourselves and also towards shutterstock. This also includes a respectful tone.
We certainly also have to show respect to our shareholders, because they have financially supported shutterstock.

I think that we contrubutors, the actual capital of the company, also deserve to be treated with respect, because without our images and videos, the company would not exist. To this respect I would count, for example, that we are finally told the truth based on tables and facts and not just talk about percentages.

The shareholders do not permanently buy additional shares in order to then hold the same value in their hands as before the purchase. They expect the value of the shares they have bought to increase without having to invest more permanently.

Our "shares" are our images or videos. We have invested in them - our time. And we too have a right to expect that this investment will pay off. We too want to see an increase in value.

If I were to tell shareholders that their shares are hardly worth anything at the beginning of each year, but that they could only reach their original value in the middle of the year (or whenever), no one would invest in shares anymore. And rightly so!

On the subject of work, investment and sales:

Yes, it is also certainly true that the people who work for shutterstock are hard-working people who do their best to ensure good sales every single day by providing and maintaining the infrastructure to make this possible.

These people do not do it for nothing. They make money doing it. And the money they earn, if all goes well, they have earned it honestly.

My opinion is that we contributors are also hard-working and thus also make sure that we generate good sales every single day.

I can't imagine that a company will work if the employees who have been with us for 10 years have their salaries cut at the beginning of the year to such an extent that they - maybe - no longer even earn what they had 10 years before. Combined with the argument: If you are hard-working, you will be back to the level of before in a few months - and with a lot of hard work, maybe for 3 months you can earn more than before. A questionable model. I can hardly imagine that you can win new employees in this way.  Especially not if you don't tell them in clear figures how much they could earn one day.

On the subject of working hard:

Yes, it's certainly possible to sell a million images if you work hard. Work harder. The decisive question is not how many pictures you could sell. Nobody cares if the payment is not right. What interests the sellers is how much you can earn with each sale.
If I only earn a cent per picture, 1 million downloads are worth nothing.

I only have a small portfolio. Maybe because I'm "lazy" - maybe. But I certainly won't be more diligent if I'm - probably - paid less. And I don't know anybody who is willing to work more if they are told they will earn less. If there are other examples here, I am very curious to hear about them.

My small portfolio, put together by a lazy person, has brought shutterstock six-figure income - my share of this has already been deducted.

Shutterstock sold nearly 190 million images ("6 per second") last year. There are more than "1+ million" contributors. So every contributor sold less than 190 images a year on average.
The "RPD is 3.43 US$". That leaves shutterstock at just under 3 US$.
At least 15,500 - maybe 20,000 or more - average contributors are needed to finance the salaries of 4 executives. Unfortunately we do not know how many contributors we will need in the future for these 4 salaries, because we are not provided with transparent figures.

And now a remark I can't get my head around. I cannot see your portfolio. And I cannot verify that you are one of the hard working people who will earn more money in the future.
At the same time I realize that this is your first post ever in the forum. There's an aura of mystery about you. I - personally - wonder if you are a secret weapon of marketing.

My experience with dreamstime is that they refuse to close your account, you can delete images but they don't let you remove more than 6 daily or close to 6 I don't remember. The images that are left end up in a so called stockfree site free download without you knowing. Im in a dispute over this still. 

I don't know how things are going to play out here since leaving is never straightforward. 

I have just deactivated my video portfolio of 868 clips, it was good while it lasted but Shutterstock left me no choice. I left my tiny photo portfolio for now, because I want to see the crumbs what they believe should get for our work.

Only way I could somehow support this move would be that we have credible evidence that all the execs slashed their salaries by 75% and all the staff are reverted to minimum wage every January.

1 hour ago, Martin Erdniss said:

Still lots of active ports posting here. The "signal" at June 1st seems to become not as drastic as the first reactions promised to.

Most contributors will play along, as planned and foreseen by the decision makers - very disappointing indeed.

Martin,

I'm not sure how the new revenue model will work. So far there are no usable facts - except for an overview with percentages. Concrete data is still withheld from us.

I personally will take a very close look in June and check where the journey is actually going. Indications are not enough for me - I need facts.

From my personal point of view, the 21.12.2020 has the potential to become a real d-day.

But again: I need facts. And they will be available tomorrow at the earliest.

6 hours ago, TBT Honest said:

Im good with SS new earnings change, I trust Shutterstock that they had no other choice but to do it, I have zero respect for contributors trashing Shutterstock online, on social media and in this forum and I think everyone that does it should be banned for life from SS.

Show some respect for the guys that put in tons of work for you to have a platform to sell your work in times when it’s heading straight to Unlimited free downloads, SS is doing it’s best to provide good sales EVERY SINGLE DAY !

Chill ! The entire world is on its knees with all this Corona Virus and you go around shaming SS ????????? Calling to ban them ???? 

10 cents minimus per sub? Work hard, be original, explore and I guarantee you’ll make 1 million sales a year. WORK HARD !  Work Harder !

90% of the negative comments here are from small lazy portfolios, SS Said in the email they want to reward hard working contributors and this is a great idea. 

If you’re here to make money, there is plenty! Plenty to make, Just put in the effort.

What other choice did SS have ? take a deep breath and think about it, look around, read the map and thank god every morning for SS.

People started posting financial reports (I read all of them when they come out) stating they have this much and that much, I wish SS will go back to the glory days of higher stock price, they deserve it, its an amazing platform with amazing people putting an amazing amount of hard work for you to be able to do what you love and get paid on time and run it like clock work. SHOW SOME RESPECT ! 

And for the love of god, the Levels are perfectly balanced, wanna go level 6? Do you want SS to create a level 7 just for you? WORK FOR IT ! 

I think SS should remove any account that also sell at these “unlimited” sites, that is giving SS a bad name.

@Kate Shutterstock

This is similar to the slogans from the Soviet collective farm of the Stalin era.

1 hour ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

On the subject of respect:

Yes, it is certainly right that we should all treat each other with respect - among ourselves and also towards shutterstock. This also includes a respectful tone.
We certainly also have to show respect to our shareholders, because they have financially supported shutterstock.

I think that we contrubutors, the actual capital of the company, also deserve to be treated with respect, because without our images and videos, the company would not exist. To this respect I would count, for example, that we are finally told the truth based on tables and facts and not just talk about percentages.

The shareholders do not permanently buy additional shares in order to then hold the same value in their hands as before the purchase. They expect the value of the shares they have bought to increase without having to invest more permanently.

Our "shares" are our images or videos. We have invested in them - our time. And we too have a right to expect that this investment will pay off. We too want to see an increase in value.

If I were to tell shareholders that their shares are hardly worth anything at the beginning of each year, but that they could only reach their original value in the middle of the year (or whenever), no one would invest in shares anymore. And rightly so!

On the subject of work, investment and sales:

Yes, it is also certainly true that the people who work for shutterstock are hard-working people who do their best to ensure good sales every single day by providing and maintaining the infrastructure to make this possible.

These people do not do it for nothing. They make money doing it. And the money they earn, if all goes well, they have earned it honestly.

My opinion is that we contributors are also hard-working and thus also make sure that we generate good sales every single day.

I can't imagine that a company will work if the employees who have been with us for 10 years have their salaries cut at the beginning of the year to such an extent that they - maybe - no longer even earn what they had 10 years before. Combined with the argument: If you are hard-working, you will be back to the level of before in a few months - and with a lot of hard work, maybe for 3 months you can earn more than before. A questionable model. I can hardly imagine that you can win new employees in this way.  Especially not if you don't tell them in clear figures how much they could earn one day.

On the subject of working hard:

Yes, it's certainly possible to sell a million images if you work hard. Work harder. The decisive question is not how many pictures you could sell. Nobody cares if the payment is not right. What interests the sellers is how much you can earn with each sale.
If I only earn a cent per picture, 1 million downloads are worth nothing.

I only have a small portfolio. Maybe because I'm "lazy" - maybe. But I certainly won't be more diligent if I'm - probably - paid less. And I don't know anybody who is willing to work more if they are told they will earn less. If there are other examples here, I am very curious to hear about them.

My small portfolio, put together by a lazy person, has brought shutterstock six-figure income - my share of this has already been deducted.

Shutterstock sold nearly 190 million images ("6 per second") last year. There are more than "1+ million" contributors. So every contributor sold less than 190 images a year on average.
The "RPD is 3.43 US$". That leaves shutterstock at just under 3 US$.
At least 15,500 - maybe 20,000 or more - average contributors are needed to finance the salaries of 4 executives. Unfortunately we do not know how many contributors we will need in the future for these 4 salaries, because we are not provided with transparent figures.

And now a remark I can't get my head around. I cannot see your portfolio. And I cannot verify that you are one of the hard working people who will earn more money in the future.
At the same time I realize that this is your first post ever in the forum. There's an aura of mystery about you. I - personally - wonder if you are a secret weapon of marketing.

I envy your patience. Well put, but I sincerely doubt this person even exists.

2 hours ago, Martin Erdniss said:

Still lots of active ports posting here. The "signal" at June 1st seems to become not as drastic as the first reactions promised to.

Most contributors will play along, as planned and foreseen by the decision makers - very disappointing indeed.

I just received my email to confirm it was me that changed my account settings to turn off sales of images. Not sure how long it will take before my portfolio gets "disappeared". I've been tweeting and wrote a blog post about this whole debacle.

On the subject of wait and see/gather data: I have been doing this long enough that I don't need to wait and see how it plays out - I don't know exactly, but pretty close. On top of which, the only (small) possibility of making a change is to take action up front and I don't intend to waste that. By December, this will be ancient history and any impact of contributors walking away then (when the inevitable happens) will be minimal.

Blog post image link copy.jpg

On 5/30/2020 at 3:27 PM, Polozov arts said:

please keep informed if you decide on taking the idea further. I'm sure there's a lot of people here willing to joing

Will do Polozov!
I am currently in touch with several businesses and got an appointment with a lawyer next week since I'm in the Netherlands (Europe has some tricky laws :)
With so many businesses closed or not fully operative due to covid19 it will take some time to get everything sorted out, but rest assured this is not some wild idea, but something I'm seriously looking into! So far, things are looking good, and I will try my very hardest to make this work!

On 5/30/2020 at 5:41 PM, Natwood said:

Do you know Wemark? Although they didn't make it, they had a great idea and their experience is something worth reading about. I believe their try is not the last try to make a fair microstock and they or other people will succeed one day.

Many thanks for mentioning them! I never heard of them, but already did a Google search!

Anyone noticed the 'total images' and 'total new uploads weekly' hasn't changed over the past 3 days? They are stuck at

Over 326.237.838 royalty-free images with 1.199.139 new stock images added weekly.

I've been a contributor since 2006, and always thought of SS to be a fair agency who valued their contributors....geez how wrong can you be? 

33 minutes ago, Patricio_Murphy said:

I envy your patience. Well put, but I sincerely doubt this person even exists.

Hello, Patricio,

thank you. Even if this contributor should not exist, but only a camouflaged contribution of shutterstock, it was important for me to express my thoughts, because then they read it. And maybe think about it.

What annoys me incredibly - and this has not only to do with shutterstock, but with business in general - is that everything always works the same way.

It doesn't go well. Nevertheless, the management gets high salaries and bonuses. Then one of the management leaves - leaves the sinking ship and gets a compensation for it (although the ship is sinking).
Fraternization: We need good managers - and we can only get them if we provide a lot of money.

What does the new management do? After all, it has to be worth the money. It is looking for ways to make savings. But never on themselves. Always at the basis level. After that, things sometimes go even worse.

To put it bluntly, I am a child of capitalism. If there is a good job being done in management, then this person should be rewarded when things improve. That is simply fair.

But to redistribute the money from the bottom up is not okay if the company goes even further down the drain afterwards, and to get a bonus for that - that is not okay at all!

And then there are the shareholders. They give money. And hope that the management is intelligent enough to increase their money. If this management, in which the shareholders have invested, is smart enough, it will save money in the right place - which one the shareholders do not care about.
Shareholders trust management. And if that says that the contributors have to pay for the misery, then so be it. We will not be able to change that. It seems to be the sign of the times.

But one thing is certain: If we, the contributors, go down the drain, then shutterstock will go along with it, including the shareholders. In this respect, I hope that the millions invested in the management - by the shareholders and by us - know what they are doing. I'm not sure at the moment.

7 hours ago, TBT Honest said:

@Kate Shutterstock

then you should ask to create a level 0 just for you, you have something to work for upper levels, you can even ask to reset yours every month. they are changing a business agrement !!!!!!     that is the problem ! no negotiation, no nothing. if somebody is trashing my asset, ill do the same for them and hope more other people will do the same. really hope some chinese company will rip ss apart, matter of time ...

1 hour ago, truhelen said:
This is similar to the slogans from the Soviet collective farm of the Stalin era.

In Italy we says bad works about it.. this is only proverb, so sorry me: people kiss ass with hope something change but usually change only cream ahahahhahah

Better understand this: if we set not sell pictures and footage, are we sure that also in partners site are disable too?

4 minutes ago, mgallar said:

In Italy we says bad works about it.. this is only proverb, so sorry me: people kiss ass with hope something change but usually change only cream ahahahhahah

Better understand this: if we set not sell pictures and footage, are we sure that also in partners site are disable too?

is there a list of partner sites ?