Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

6 hours ago, Andrey Bryzgalov said:

"CORRECTION: The article initially stated that users would be downgraded to “Level 1” on June 1st. In fact, they will be assigned a level based on their “download count year to date.” They will not be “reset” to Level 1 until January 1st, 2021, unless they have less than 100 downloads in 2020 so far."

where did they read this?

It's just redundant. If you have less than 100 downloads you can't be reset to less than level 1...

On 5/29/2020 at 1:44 PM, Gtranquillity said:

I've been a contributor here for 10 years as well as on other stockphoto sites and checked into some options yesterday. I have some ideas which I believe could be a great opportunity for contributors to sell their work at the prices they want and get the full royalties for it (if I can get it up and running).

I already checked into the options on the technical side and that's perfectly doable. Still lots of steps to take and things to consider, but I'm seriously thinking of a construction that (as a contributor / photographer) I believe would work and it does not yet exist. Is there any way to contact you? Two know more then one is what we say here (I'm in the Netherlands) and who knows we might come up with something new where contributors can actually earn money and run their business (or hobby) as they please. 

Do you know Wemark? Although they didn't make it, they had a great idea and their experience is something worth reading about. I believe their try is not the last try to make a fair microstock and they or other people will succeed one day.

5 hours ago, Punpreuksa said:

I received the infamous e-mail from SS last week that is the subject of this thread. I just received an e-mail from one of the other stock agencies I contribute to. This agency consistently pays FAR more than SS, but it gets better: "As of June, all contributors will receive a 10% increase in royalties value. We believe in helping and caring for each other during these trying times. Be safe!"

Isn't it reassuring to know there are still a few organisations that know how to treat the people who made them what they are today instead of kicking their contributors in the teeth when they think they are too big to fail. The other stock agencies must be rubbing their hands in light of Shutterstock's appalling behaviour. I expect there will be a mass exodus.

Bye bye Shutterstock.

Can you PM me the agency, please? I believe we all have to start looking for new opportunities. Thank you!

I just got message from *****, they INCREASE royalty by 10% starting June. This in not an advertisement, I just show how some company care. 

4 hours ago, shufu photoexperience said:

This guy told me that that we look like siblings making a deal to robb the cookie jar infront of the mother listening us.

Well I think he mixed some facts up. In this case we are not the robbers. We are robbed and we are not hiding whispering in the dark making some criminal plans. They do. In the worst possible way. Contributors are mother of this site. They build it up and they gonna tear it down. Like I said. Every empire in history has collapsed from inside. They have to know our next move because we are honest and not tieves whispering in the dark planning to robb somebody like they do.

This company probably going down. We will survive and will do what we are doing. Few managers will suck money out of this company, from contributors and the shareholders, because that's what they do in the whole corrupted world. If there is any justice, after they ruin everything only for their pesronal benefit and profit, they will end up in court because of scam, fraud and whispering in the dark. Don't know if they will, but I know they should. So this CEO Stan something can't do like Alamys CEO did make announcement by himself in front of camera, and after that make public appologies to contributors admitting his mistake.

This is pure CORRUPTION!

P.S. I don't wanna strike and I wont. If nothing changes I'm gonna just leave from here. Clear and simple.

They won’t cry for me, but I certainly won’t cry for them either.

...again,  no one said you were the robbers,  my point was, and still is, you don't tell your plans to the people you are planning against(I'm sorry if the analogy went over your head). In the meantime if you weren't talking about striking it wasn't addressing you in the least. 

Let it go man,  your petty attempts to publicly shame me when  you,  yourself,  can't seem to understand the point of what I was saying without inventing a strawman argument, where I somehow called you a robber(I didn't,  but I digress), and taking exception to  something that was never addressed to you,  then  moving the conversation into  private messages only to  once again  bring them into public view, is downright pathetic. 

Again,  this is not internet argument hour,  and I am not your adversary,  find a new hobby. 

1 hour ago, Feliks Kogan said:

I just got message from *****, they INCREASE royalty by 10% starting June. This in not an advertisement, I just show how some company care. 

Don't hesitate to name the agency. I guess many people here need this info

9 minutes ago, Polozov arts said:

While I was writing the last message, someone was deleting messages in this discussion - 2 pages (!) gone already

Yep, misterious thing. Last time I checked there were 100 pages, now we're at 98

I never been very active in forum or social media but what did SS with his new commission structure pushed me over the edge!

To be clear I don't have a big portfolio (1000+ photos/videos), don't sale much of them anyway, used SS to level up my photography skill and will not big impacted by this new commission structure but the way they value us is so appalling I can't stand it anymore!

Already before that the commission was ridiculous and only in our industry the middle man take 3/4 of the profit!

And imagine the blow to the people they build up over the year a big portfolio and sale! 

It's just plain crazy, nuts, unfair, brutal and appalling!

And they even have the toupet to say they care about their contributors and will be better for them!

Just nonsense!

I will not call for boycott, deleting account or whatsoever as it's a personal decision due to each one particular situation but I know what I will do!

My last words:

Shame on you Shutterstock!

P.S. As i said earlier that  was not very active on forum is it my first post on it and will need to be approved by moderator...not sure it will make it but feel better anyway after it 😛

7 minutes ago, Maxal Tamor said:

It's funny (??) One hour ago, this thread had reached 100 pages. Now it's down to 98…

Not surprisingly, the number of pages is decreasing. When all of humanity is moving into a happy future, Shutterstock strives into the past.

18 minutes ago, mgallar said:

Yes last time I visit there was 100 pages now 98.. strange..

There was a guy here (still here I guess, I blocked him, so I don't know) who was blaming everyone in this ugly situation, everyone except those who was really responsible - the SS CEO&co. Actually the guy was even defending SS. That guy wrote pages and pages of comments, and then he begun to delete most of them. So maybe he keeps deleting, that's why the thread is getting shorter and shorter :D

I am trying to find a positive post, but no result.I think this is not a mistake of the contributors. It is good time to think the new stucture over. SS is not the only one microstock site. If you loose your contributors you loose your income and after that your workplace. You realy want it?

Yesterday I thought that I needed a man like Elon Musk to create a super stock with 99 percent payout for authors . And today he launches astronauts into space. That's a coincidence?

I don't know how it is with you, but I click this feedback away a few times every day. How much would this bullshit Shutterstock cost? Let them cut back on this first.
Would there be many who fill this in? Then they probably did not fill in that our wages should fall.

shutterstock-feedback.jpg

Maybe all authors should disable their account on July 1 for 1 week to Express their attitude to New earnings structure for Contributors.  You can temporarily turn off your portfolio so no images and/or footage is viewable or available for sale. That is pretty quick, just takes a bit of time for all the servers to catch up. 
Dashboard > 'your name' > account settings > how we can licence your work. Tick 'no' for images and/or footage. They will no longer be available for download.
I think you have to contact SS to delete your port/account completely. But turning it off in the mean time will stop them being available for sale while you sort out leaving completely.

There was a long side conversation in russian (?) or about russia/ukraine. These comments seem to have disappeared, they really did not belong to the topic. If this was removed by an admin, they just did their job. 

Very sad day for me. I opted out sales.

I really hope that shutterstock will amend this and I will opted in again and resume uploads.