Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

1 hour ago, Maxal Tamor said:

"CORRECTION: The article initially stated that users would be downgraded to “Level 1” on June 1st. In fact, they will be assigned a level based on their “download count year to date.” They will not be “reset” to Level 1 until January 1st, 2021, unless they have less than 100 downloads in 2020 so far."

where did they read this?

For me, Disabling the portfolio and stopping uploading new files is not a consequence of my resentment at ss, but rather a saving of time, effort, and disk space (because then I won't have to create and store huge vectors)). After all, if my income falls, I will have to look for new sources and ways to earn money. Therefore, I will not have time and opportunity to be distracted by ss, with its sometimes strange requirements

11 hours ago, Nicholas Courtney said:

I knew a few years back, uploading images to pond5 was worthless.  Anyone know if that has changed?  Is it worthwhile in 2020?  

It's still worthless, P5 is good for video content.

26 minutes ago, Kseniakrop said:

For me, Disabling the portfolio and stopping uploading new files is not a consequence of my resentment at ss, but rather a saving of time, effort, and disk space (because then I won't have to create and store huge vectors)). After all, if my income falls, I will have to look for new sources and ways to earn money. Therefore, I will not have time and opportunity to be distracted by ss, with its sometimes strange requirements

This new earnings structure, after the history of vector size...
We really feel like Shutterstock's doing everything they can to kick us out...

11 hours ago, Robyn Mackenzie said:

I am beyond disappointed in this change, particularly the reset at Jan 1 each year, but also having no idea of how commissions will actually reduce. I started in microstock in 2006, quit my day job in 2008 and have been making my living from microstock ever since.  Lifetime SS downloads 488,000+.  Sales have already been steadily declining, new images rarely selling, so this on top will be a body blow.  I always had respect for the integrity of SS compared to a number of other sites and their shenanigans over the years.  Not any more.  How dare they attempt to spin this as any kind of positive for contributors!  Unconscionable corporate conduct.

You are exactly one of the people who made shutterstock what it is today - one of the leading agencies in the microstock business.

You alone - a single provider - have helped shutterstock to generate revenues of over 1 million US$!

We would like to thank you for this achievement by informing you that from June 10th it is no longer worth anything.

You, like every new contributor today, started from zero. You have earned 25 cents. Did you think it was unfair that other contributors had already earned 38 cents? I suppose not, because it was the rules of the game.

Shutterstock knows very well that more and more images are being added to the database, which means that the download numbers of most contruibutors inevitably have to be reduced. The chance to move up into the download regions where the new model will become increasingly smaller for every provider - whether veteran or up-and-coming newcomer - in the medium and long term.

Shutterstock will have calculated exactly that and discovered it: With very few exceptions, there will only be one winner - Shutterstock itself.

If this is not canceled, I do not see a way out, except to start paying more attention to other stocks (the adobe is in second place after the shutter and may soon become the first).

It is necessary to reach out directly to customers. Send letters to all the major media outlets (BBC, CNN, New Times and other) about Shutterstock's unjust and robbery relation to authors.

And provide the dissatisfaction of the authors with a link to the petition.

I received the infamous e-mail from SS last week that is the subject of this thread. I just received an e-mail from one of the other stock agencies I contribute to. This agency consistently pays FAR more than SS, but it gets better: "As of June, all contributors will receive a 10% increase in royalties value. We believe in helping and caring for each other during these trying times. Be safe!"

Isn't it reassuring to know there are still a few organisations that know how to treat the people who made them what they are today instead of kicking their contributors in the teeth when they think they are too big to fail. The other stock agencies must be rubbing their hands in light of Shutterstock's appalling behaviour. I expect there will be a mass exodus.

Bye bye Shutterstock.

6 minutes ago, Sergey Zapotylok said:

I just disabled all my footages, and i'm for Jun, 1 strike for all my content.

Good job! I went back 10 pages and I've found 3 contributors who really deactivated their ports. Yours will be probably the 4th.

Not so many heroes though.

23 hours ago, Polozov arts said:

Hi, here's lots of people already discussed the idea. So I think we should join in this discussion and do the thing together. That way it will include more help, as well as being transparent right from the start

The ONLY reason I wanted to take this to a private conversation is that I doubt Shutterstock will appreciate it this type of things being discussed on their forum. I was going to post about it in the microstockgroup for this reason but wanted to find out more info on the cost first.

14 hours ago, BobNoah said:

PLEASE, please, please ignore divisions and futile arguments. He who wants to do a different thing, or think in a different way than the majority, so be it. Congratulations and good luck is what we should wish that person. Please, don't let your desire to win a futile argument turn you into a loser. Now all this thread it is about anger between us and not towards the main issue. REMEMBER THE SAYING: Divide and Conquer. Be fast to think and slow to speak. I beg you...peace between us. Think hard, if this battle is lost; every other agency will follow through. This battle is not only about SS. It about the whole industry and our livelihood. Be strong and courageous....please show unity and respect...do what you have to do on June 1. For me this my last post. I already know what I am going to do. Don't need to convince anybody else. Best wishes

I read the first 77 pages, every single post and then stopped due to the reason you specified.

Okay, done, i just disabled my 17.694 fotos. I was thinking of disabling my port for a long time. Until now I already got more than double the money per download over at AS with almost the same portfolio. I wanted to see if my downloads at AS go up when i disable the cheap counterparts here. Thank you very much Shutterstock for giving me the final kick (in the face) to run the test 😉

if this earnings structure comes to life my 1800 vector files goes to quarantine starting from the new year.

fortunately, I’m not homeless  and I want to keep a piece of dignity.

A Shutterstock story:

2019 - Due to a stupid decision on minimum vector file size, most of the best vector artists have decided to quit.

2020 - Due to a venal decision regarding the earning structure, most of the best video artists have decided to quit.

2021 - The worst* is no doubt to come

* but the worst for whom?…

You can't expect anything else from a corporation where investors rule.

My video portfolio is currently disabled. Not many, but he sold 3 or 4 a month for a reasonable price.

Now I will wait to see the income in June and if I decide to continue adding content I will do it in the minimum possible resolution and with a good jpg compression. And of course, the best photos are for AS.

When the New Year come we will say to ourself: new year, new begining. Let's do it better. Then the positivism will be gone when we remember that our level is reset. 

Nico job! 

I only hope customers to pay more and we as contributors get around the same (0,25$) per photo at least. But thats not good for customers..

I will not upload my work to Shutterstock for a month. Let it be an experiment. At the end of June, I will calculate how much money an average load brought me, dividing the earnings by the number of downloads. It will not be difficult, because I am in the middle (Level 4, 30%). If the revenue for downloading in June will be significantly less than in previous months, I will have to stop working. Dear administration, if the number of downloads on Shutterstock was at least comparable to Freepik, with which you are going to equal the size of deductions, it would make sense to continue cooperation. But this is not so. It probably makes no sense to continue working.

Since I started drawing for stock, I have worked as a fanatic Shutterstock contributor. I have not sent images to other stock sites so far.
Photographers and videographers also spend different efforts in this way. However, those who draw Vector work more. Vector drawing means some design and some time. By trying for hours, you draw a motif, from which you earn from 0.25 to 0.38 USD. This is the value of your effort for hours. By purchasing and using it, they make larger gains. Since it is a pleasure to draw, the price that comes in cannot replace it. No problem. We agreed to this.

What happened now?

We suddenly learned that we would be deprived of this pleasure. They say that the elapsed time and labor will not be worth it. The accumulation starts from scratch on January 1. Everything is buried in history. I am old. I don't know how long I will live after this day. But drawing was a hobby for me. Maybe it was a legacy with the only income I would leave to my children. My children, our father has drawn very well and now they will say that a few cents are still coming. The result is frustration ...
Now I started uploading to other stock sites. Very good, sales started to come immediately. I don't have to be fanatical anymore in response to Shutterstock's ideas that consider us zero. As an idea, I deleted it from my head.

Now like everyone else, I will do what is necessary.

May it be easy for everyone.

** In addition, after May 24, all sales collapsed completely. I couldn't understand why sales suddenly stopped.

SHUTTERSTOCK it is absolutely unfair decisions to your loyal contributors. 

1. It is not fair to reset contributor level at the beginning of year. It should be considered the last 12 months instead. 

2. It is not fair not to share your profit from subscription paying minimal price to contributors. The price should be based on average subscription downloads but not on maximum possible downloads.

3. Suggested price reduction is critical for submitted images quality. This is not fair relating to your users. They expect the same quality images and it is not possible with new prices.

I hope you change your mind. 

Posted (edited)

I'm a very small contributor, but I used to buy several hundred pictures here each year.

It was fun while it lasted.

It's not fun any more.  Last year I stopped uploads. This year, if they insist on this change, I will disable my portfolio. No big financial hurt, it's just for the principle of it.
I already sent them a mail as a buyer that I consider this move totally unfair. When my bought image contingent is used up, I will stop buying here. There are other places which treat contributors much, much better.
So, take your photos elsewhere, I'll follow.

And I will tell everybody I know who wants to buy stockphotos about this. Starting with a big German author forum of several hundred authors who buy stockphotos for their books.

Edited by Charlotte Erpenbeck
Giving more information

41 minutes ago, Sedat Cologlu said:

Since I started drawing for stock, I have worked as a fanatic Shutterstock contributor. I have not sent images to other stock sites so far.
Photographers and videographers also spend different efforts in this way. However, those who draw Vector work more. Vector drawing means some design and some time. By trying for hours, you draw a motif, from which you earn from 0.25 to 0.38 USD. This is the value of your effort for hours. By purchasing and using it, they make larger gains. Since it is a pleasure to draw, the price that comes in cannot replace it. No problem. We agreed to this.

What happened now?

We suddenly learned that we would be deprived of this pleasure. They say that the elapsed time and labor will not be worth it. The accumulation starts from scratch on January 1. Everything is buried in history. I am old. I don't know how long I will live after this day. But drawing was a hobby for me. Maybe it was a legacy with the only income I would leave to my children. My children, our father has drawn very well and now they will say that a few cents are still coming. The result is frustration ...
Now I started uploading to other stock sites. Very good, sales started to come immediately. I don't have to be fanatical anymore in response to Shutterstock's ideas that consider us zero. As an idea, I deleted it from my head.

Now like everyone else, I will do what is necessary.

May it be easy for everyone.

** In addition, after May 24, all sales collapsed completely. I couldn't understand why sales suddenly stopped.

You have incredible draws. Best wisher for you and your family

3 hours ago, Gtranquillity said:

The ONLY reason I wanted to take this to a private conversation is that I doubt Shutterstock will appreciate it this type of things being discussed on their forum. I was going to post about it in the microstockgroup for this reason but wanted to find out more info on the cost first.

please keep informed if you decide on taking the idea further. I'm sure there's a lot of people here willing to joing