Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

Not to be mean but it cracks me up all the contributors that talk big and are disabling their portfolios while I have been busy deleting mine. I have removed 2,338 images in two days. I do not see this new pay structure working out well for any contributor so I have begun the process of eliminating my photos. If I am wrong I will rebuild. I had a lot of photos I didn't even like and now they are gone. If it turns out as bad as everyone thinks then I'm just ahead of the game. 

31 minutes ago, samoyloff said:

Yeah, you told before that you have visited Ukraine like 40 times, so you must be an expert on this. But, I live in Russia my whole life, and I probably know a bit more about stuff here. Our household income is from $3k to $5k a month, depends on the workflow, we both are graphic designers. My wife gets around $300 to $400 from Shutterstock, yeah. But she gets more from Adobe (along with a nice bonus of free CS software). With this new scheme she'll probably be getting like $100 from Shuttestock and that won't worth her time at all, especially considering absolutely crazy uploading requirements of SS. For us, that would be easier to switch off her SS portfolio than to take care of this. You quote salaries of doctors, but that's completely irreleveant. Doctors can't sell their services over the internet, but we can. And we don't care about 10c per image from Shutterstock, when we can sell our stuff elsewhere for like 50c. Once again, let me repeat, you don't know s#%t about Russian and Ukrainian contributors if you went to our countries a couple of times and saw people earning less than on the west. Graphic designers and photographers earn the same everywhere, as long as they sell their art on the web. Just stop pretending you know more about us than we ourselves.

no need talking to deluded person. just leave him )

Contentment is the enemy of growth. Shutterstock has insured that we will grow. It will just not be with them.

We understand your frustration about the new earning structure.
The adjustments are being made to align with changes we have been seeing in the global market for creative content. They also help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential.
As the global need for content increases, the volume of content being produced also continues to grow. The increase in supply of content available on the market has resulted in lower prices and free content on some platforms. With this pricing pressure, Shutterstock must also be competitive while continuing to support the production of high-quality content and driving high licensing volumes world-wide.
While we have historically paid contributors based on a percentage of the license value along with a fixed-rate for some plans, paying at fixed-rates is no longer aligned with how customers engage with those products. Also, the previous earnings structure was based on inequitable factors, such as lifetime earnings.
Starting on June 1st, 2020, we are moving to a percentage based earnings model for all licensing plans. The amount contributors earn from each download is a percentage of the price paid by the customer for that license.
Shutterstock aims to provide customers with competitive plans and pricing, while fairly compensating our contributors for the time and talent invested in the production of their work.
The new compensation model allows contributors to receive a true percentage share from each download, rewarding content creators for producing quality work that is fresh, relevant and currently in demand by our customers.
If you have any other concerns, please feel free to contact us anytime.

Just got an email! They "respect" their contributors so much that they send all the same nonsense!

26 minutes ago, Nynke van Holten said:

So now I am curious how many sales are from the big subscriptions (350/750 per month) (first 2 rows)

Most sales are from these packages. Not only because they're most popular (even according to SS the 350 one is the most popular, and every studio I know gets 350 or 750), but also because of the share in the sales.

11 minutes ago, samoyloff said:

Most sales are from these packages. Not only because they're most popular (even according to SS the 350 one is the most popular, and every studio I know gets 350 or 750), but also because of the share in the sales.

so do you know the %?

1 minute ago, LongJon said:

so do you know the %?

Ok, let me explain this to you like you're 5 years old. The most popular package is 350 / month. There are also packages with 10 images / month, but they're not that popular. Let's say you have sold 1000 images this month. What's the probability that MOST of your images were sold to people who purchased the most popular package and were able to buy 350 a month against the probability that MOST of your sales are from unpopular 10 a month images package?

Go figure.

1 hour ago, LongJon said:

adobe performs better for u...i don't work for ss and i already said what i think...skilled people in ukraine and russia don't sell for 10 cent? most russian contributor are on istock already selling for penny....i repeat you don't have a clue of this industry....in russia people work as doctor in hospital for 500 dollar..in ukraine 250....i know many cause i make lot of documentary there....in ukraine and it expert earn 4 5 times less than an america one that's why there are lot of company moving in ukraine from usa....i repeat it0's not offending a country but ukraine cost of living is 4 times less than any wester country, of course salary are 4 times less.. the bulk of russian contributor won't ever leave ss cause for many would means earning nothing...adobe is good for some for many not. 

Lol Looks like you found whom to blame. Wrong direction, don't you think?

18 minutes ago, samoyloff said:

Ok, let me explain this to you like you're 5 years old. The most popular package is 350 / month. There are also packages with 10 images / month, but they're not that popular. Let's say you have sold 1000 images this month. What's the probability that MOST of your images were sold to people who purchased the most popular package and were able to buy 350 a month against the probability that MOST of your sales are from unpopular 10 a month images package?

Go figure.

5 years ))...for me the only one who looks a child is you

1- you blame blame than why you don't begin disabling your folio? if you don't work for 10 cent..why u still collect money? . i expect cause you keep talking and talking that you were the first to disable but you are not..and it's friday , so why wait 1 june? saturday and sunday are dead day so no great lost...if you are so sure you collect only 10 cent you should have disabled it

2- you cannot do the math, and you can't do it because you don't have a clue about what % sales....i repeat you are in adobe? even adobe use a % package, their range is different from ss, they have minimum royalty higher but higher royalty lower....if you are at 30% level, in ss you will get 01-1,42 range..in adobe 0,33-0,99

let's say ou sell ten images....in adobe every ten images i sold 3 are 99 cent...so it's not true that there are no small package, if there are in adobe why not in ss? why in ss everybody should buy a nbig pack? many studio don't need 750 images....let's say the same % apply to ss 

so let's see 8*0,1 + 1,42 *2= is 3,52....in this case you are losing 20 cent mostly....with 3 sale 1,42*3+ 0,7 = you are gaining 1,1 dollar more than now...

so right now without knowing the composition of subs package% is impossible to understand what will be our royalty...impossible. even with od you can earn much more than now if the package are small....in addiction with images reaching 35% makes you earn more than now....

so if you are a good seller and manage to sell at least 500 700 images per month i want be too worried about images...even if in january you earn 15 % you can easily recover next of the year....

personally i find this scheme better

1- it kills small amateur and snapsthot photographer who uploaded to earn 10 dollar months...those are killed...ss probably could n delete tehir account so create a scheme to reward more full time and those who upload more...their search engine is not a mistery is biased towards foto sold from new contributor....this will not happen any more..

2- in the last 4 years it's was impossible to grow because of this...i earn same as 3 years ago every month...it's like a fixed salary...personally i prefer a system  poorer or richer.. the chance to earn 1,72 sub is for me more attracting that earning forever 38 cent..

3- all said is clear that till we don't have 2 3 months of this new scheme we cannot understand how this will impact our earning. of course if all subs will be ten cent there will be a great problem in terms of income and i will probably sto uploading here. but considering the % of small pack sold in adobe i doubt all sub will be at 10 cent.

57 minutes ago, blvdone said:

Shutterstock is the greatest stock agency!!!  New CEO is a brilliant and great guy!!!  Thank you Shutterstock!!

I hope it was a sarcasm  :)

20 minutes ago, Natwood said:

Lol Looks like you found whom to blame. Wrong direction, don't you think?

i don't blame nobody but till 2 3 months of new scheme is impossible to understand what we will earn this is a fact. telling most pack are 750 or 350 means nothing 

at 30% we need 2 sub from small package sold and 8 from big pack sold every ten file to earn the same as now..one sub only make as 20 30 % poorer, zero sub sold makes us 70% poorer, 3 sub sold by small pack makes us 30% richer.... it's all about this. and we will know end of june.

1 minute ago, samoyloff said:

We still hope to be heard and SS to cancel this crap

I think they are waiting June 1 to measure how united and strong we are. ONLY if we make a strong case of disabling portfolios they will hear. If they can see that they can go ahead they will because they are thinking of gaining new contributors who would agree to this. There is always someone..

This is all about COST to them. If we show them that GOOD CONTRIBUTORS (I don't count myself in) are willing to go, and that to replace them it will take time and money, then ONLY then they will hear. 

Well it appears that someone from Shutterstock IS reading this, as I posted a comment last night with the twitter and Linkedin details for new CEO Stan Pavlovsky!! (with a suggestion to give feedback)

The post was removed within 10 minutes!!!

Though I guess it would be pretty easy to find the details yourselves ;o)

(this message will self-destruct in less than ten minutes...)

Stay strong X

21 minutes ago, foodonwhite said:

Well it appears that someone from Shutterstock IS reading this, as I posted a comment last night with the twitter and Linkedin details for new CEO Stan Pavlovsky!! (with a suggestion to give feedback)

Someone just posted Stan's twitter and the post got removed. But I was able to leave a nice message for Stan, I don't have a single doubt that I will be insta banned from this hyporcite's Twitter, but at least I expressed my thoughts to him (or whoever runs his social media, idgaf really).

21 minutes ago, foodonwhite said:

Though I guess it would be pretty easy to find the details yourselves ;o)

(this message will self-destruct in less than ten minutes...)

Stay strong X

Interesting! That censorship really works. Your message is still here but as I put direct URL link, my message disappeared in 5 minutes.

3 hours ago, LongJon said:

Вы не живете за счет этого, легко уйти ... Есть много, особенно в России Украина, вероятно, 95%, которые живут этим .... они составляют основную часть вкладчика и большую часть портфеля ..... они никогда не будет жить Вы можете жить маленьким портфелем, только побочные деньги ... другие, как вы, конечно, сделаете это ... может быть, 2 3 миллиона файлов. 

are you always this boring? like a parrot, you say the same thing, but you can think what you want about Russia, Ukraine, and other countries where $ 1,000 allows you to live well. Stop whining! (or envious?)

So my account is banned, i have to login to contat support. How can I contact SS ?

This is my first (and most likely last) forum post, which, as I just saw, needs to be approved by a moderator... Let’s see how that works out!

After 95 pages in this thread it is clear that a lot of people are very upset about Shutterstock’s disgusting move. To be honest, I don’t think there’s much to talk about. I have always thought that, as a producer, getting anything less than 50% from a publisher (who doesn’t actually produce anything!) is not a fair deal. But, when I signed up for SS about a year and a half ago, with a minimum payout of 25 cent per image, I figured that’s just how the game is played. I was a complete newb (not that I’m an expert now!), and felt that I had to start somewhere. Forward to today... After having built a small but steady portfolio on SS, I am being told that 10 cent is how the game is being played now.

The way I see it, everyone has two options... Say yes to this, and keep their portfolio up, or say no and disable/remove their port. I immediately disabled my port, because I am not willing to participate in a system which is so wrong on so many levels (and will most assuredly get even “wronger” in the not too distant future). I don’t much like this saying, but in this case I think it applies: “If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem.”

Shutterstock produces NOTHING, and is lost without content. We, the content providers, have it within our power to let SS know this by removing the content they need. Sadly, it seems that even in this forum there are plenty of people who “want to wait and see” (what exactly are you waiting to see?), or who are still willing to work with SS for a 15% cut on THEIR PRODUCT. If you receive 15%, SS receives 85%!!!!!!! Think of that for a moment... 85% for taking YOUR WORK and selling it! Enough is enough!

With my small port I’ve never gone above this so-called Level 1, but for people who have worked for years to be “reset” to Level 1 every January 1st, is completely ridiculous. If you play along and let SS get away with this, than you probably don’t deserve any better than 10 cent. STAND UP AND BE COUNTED!!