Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

1 minute ago, Augustin Lazaroiu said:

It would be nice if people understand that posting on social media is way more important than screaming in this empty bag called forum.

Absolutely!
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram… When then don't ban or block you…

2 hours ago, BobNoah said:

Im my case my Adobe revenue is EQUAL to the one in SS. But I see some contributors who claims more revenue there. I am usually being paid 99 cents per download. Sometimes 3.25, even in this month I had three downloads of 26 dollars of royalty. This is this month chart. If I shift my focus, think I could ditch SS. My Adobe portfolio is 3000 less assets because I started later on. I HOPE this numbers make those rich people ashamed of themselves!

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 6.16.57 AM.png

well considering the size of our folio not bad at all...as side earning , i think you have full time gig?, but can you explain th three c column,

2 minutes ago, samoyloff said:

That won't work. Disable your portfolio on June 1st, or earn 10 cents. There's no other way.

I will do that. But for now, let there be this text

3 minutes ago, samoyloff said:

That won't work. Disable your portfolio on June 1st, or earn 10 cents. There's no other way.

nobody will do as you can easily see from the thread....just a bunch have disabled ...check in a month all those who are complaining will be happy to earn 10 cent, probably the loose in still will be much less than what we think.....i bet that most of them here are also selling their content in istock, and are happy to receive those one cent there but now complaint a lot because ss was for many a big chunk of earning. 

i repeat shame on ss for this but we , as contributor, are part of this tragedy.

1 minute ago, LongJon said:

nobody will do as you can easily see from the thread....just a bunch have disabled ...check in a month all those who are complaining will be happy to earn 10 cent, probably the loose in still will be much less than what we think.....i bet that most of them here are also selling their content in istock, and are happy to receive those one cent there but now complaint a lot because ss was for many a big chunk of earning. 

i repeat shame on ss for this but we , as contributor, are part of this tragedy.

I left iStock over 1 cent royalties.  I'm not going to accept 10 cent royalties from this place.  As you can see, my ports are disabled and I have no plans on turning them back on.

3 minutes ago, LongJon said:

nobody will do as you can easily see from the thread....just a bunch have disabled ...

You keep repeating this BS, a lot of people already disabled their portfolios. And I know several people _personally_ who are going to disable their portfolios on June 1st. So stop that crap you keep repeating in your every message. If you're not going to do this, don't think everyone is like you.

58 minutes ago, Eric Urquhart said:

One of my other sites actually increased contributor earnings by doubling our percentage back in January. 
I make the same amount there by selling 15 images as I do here on SS selling 120 images. 
And this is before SS new payout of .1c  

hm. what sites are you talking about?

11 minutes ago, Phil Lowe said:

I left iStock over 1 cent royalties.  I'm not going to accept 10 cent royalties from this place.  As you can see, my ports are disabled and I have no plans on turning them back on.

you don't live out of this, easy leave...there are many especially in russia ukraine probably 95% who live out this....they account for the bulk of contributor and the bulk of portfolio .....they won't ever never live. you can live small portfolio , side money only.. other like you will do this of course....maybe 2 3 million files totally. 

3 hours ago, Primus1 said:

Had and have better results here with my clips than on AD. I feel bad on this new income schema ... 😰

I check your videos, very awesome contrast, lights, shadows, composition, but full HD and 30 fps are slowly loose popularity nowadays. I recommend you to learn about neuron network and upscale all your videos to 4k and 60 fps, it's new standart now and it will help you to increase you position in searches.

Here the example what neuron network did with Arrival of a Train by Lumière Brothers.

3 minutes ago, LongJon said:

you don't live out of this, easy leave

First of all, you don't know me, so don't presume to think what is or isn't easy for me.

Second, the money I was making every month from this was going to help cover the cost of my $600/month health insurance and medical supplies, like insulin and needles.  So no, not an "easy leave" for me.  

Finally, if people stay and allow themselves to be exploited and abused, that is their fault, not Shutterstock's.  We can always trust a company like this to do what's best for it.  But if you aren't willing to do what's best for you, whatever that is, then you have no one but yourself to blame for the abuse you take at the hands of these corporations.

People who complain shouldn't stay.  People who stay shouldn't complain.  I am in the first group.

Understandable anger where so many rely on the income from stock and I am equally shocked at the way this has been thrust upon everyone. Surprised, no because business always follows the same pattern and having used service providers for 30 years in my main business there is a reason I have switched 10 times. Greed is the dominant factor, nothing else. What will happen eventually is that the company will be sold on and the shareholding directors will make a nice profit followed by even worse terms for contributors. Change is uncomfortable but will always happen and being prepared for change is part of business. Those who wisely use several stock sites will not be immune but will at least have protected themselves from a disastrous overnight drop in income. I have been contributing for a very short period (since February 2020) and have been pleasantly surprised to see sales which have just started to increase and become regular although it's peanuts from a very small portfolio. To immediately see that the amount paid will drop significantly is my bad luck from a timing point of view. But as I am one of the despised hobby/amateur contributors the difference it will make to me is non-existent as I never expected this to provide me with any decent income. I just enjoy creating images and if anyone wants to pay for them all the better. I am already on other stock sites and will join the many who have stopped uploading here for now as there isn't much point in doing so at the rates being paid from Monday. SS are too big and this is part of the problem but is also the reason I have only so far seen any sales here. When significant amounts of money come into a company the attitude at the top changes and the founding principles get forgotten. Sad that human nature is so self destructive. I wish everyone well and to concentrate on finding alternatives as there are plenty out there. Health not wealth is so important at this time and however this affects your income, staying healthy has to be the number one priority. I couldn't resist having my say and I notice several contributors have posted on this thread fro the first time. SS take note please, it might not be too late but who is listening?

2 minutes ago, Phil Lowe said:

First of all, you don't know me, so don't presume to think what is or isn't easy for me.

This guy seems to be an expert of everything, he knows exactly what everyone will do and what they think. He also knows everything about other countries and how people live there and how they value their work. Don't mind him.

9 minutes ago, samoyloff said:

This guy seems to be an expert of everything, he knows exactly what everyone will do and what they think. He also knows everything about other countries and how people live there and how they value their work. Don't mind him.

you are a dreamer....nothing will happen.  

4 minutes ago, LongJon said:

you are a dreamer....nothing will happen.  

Do you work for SS? You keep repeating that our resistance is futile and nothing will happen, devaluing everything that people do now to protest this unfair and inhumane move of SS. You "know" somehow, probably because you're a psychic that people will keep on working for 10 cents, because there's no other way. But guess what - there are lots of other micro stock websites, Adobe performs better than SS, and skilled people in Russia and Ukraine that you care so much of, won't sell their work for 10 cents. Nobody, actually, in this world will agree to sell their hard work for 10 cents, if there are other venues that sell this work for much more. So quit repeating your crap, it's pathetic.

Just now, samoyloff said:

Do you work for SS? You keep repeating that our resistance is futile and nothing will happen, devaluing everything that people do now to protest this unfair and inhumane move of SS. You "know" somehow, probably because you're a psychic that people will keep on working for 10 cents, because there's no other way. But guess what - there are lots of other micro stock websites, Adobe performs better than SS, and skilled people in Russia and Ukraine that you care so much of, won't sell their work for 10 cents. Nobody, actually, in this world will agree to sell their hard work for 10 cents, if there are other venues that sell this work for much more. So quit repeating your crap, it's pathetic.

adobe performs better for u...i don't work for ss and i already said what i think...skilled people in ukraine and russia don't sell for 10 cent? most russian contributor are on istock already selling for penny....i repeat you don't have a clue of this industry....in russia people work as doctor in hospital for 500 dollar..in ukraine 250....i know many cause i make lot of documentary there....in ukraine and it expert earn 4 5 times less than an america one that's why there are lot of company moving in ukraine from usa....i repeat it0's not offending a country but ukraine cost of living is 4 times less than any wester country, of course salary are 4 times less.. the bulk of russian contributor won't ever leave ss cause for many would means earning nothing...adobe is good for some for many not. 

6 minutes ago, samoyloff said:

it's clear you don't have understood nothing of new scheme.....you earn 10 cent from sub but also 1,72 if the sub is from the small pack.....so if you don't have the information of how many packs of subs are sold  it's totally useless complain....adobe sell for % and their range vary from 0,33 to 0,99....ss has a bigger range 0,1-1,72...it take s 2 sale of 1,72 and 8 sale of 10 cent and you end up earning more than now....so til we see this we can't have the complete view of the real situation.

keeping telling that all sub are sold for 10 cent is simply having zero clue about what' happening.

16 minutes ago, LongJon said:

.i know many cause i make lot of documentary there...

Yeah, you told before that you have visited Ukraine like 40 times, so you must be an expert on this. But, I live in Russia my whole life, and I probably know a bit more about stuff here. Our household income is from $3k to $5k a month, depends on the workflow, we both are graphic designers. My wife gets around $300 to $400 from Shutterstock, yeah. But she gets more from Adobe (along with a nice bonus of free CS software). With this new scheme she'll probably be getting like $100 from Shuttestock and that won't worth her time at all, especially considering absolutely crazy uploading requirements of SS. For us, that would be easier to switch off her SS portfolio than to take care of this. You quote salaries of doctors, but that's completely irreleveant. Doctors can't sell their services over the internet, but we can. And we don't care about 10c per image from Shutterstock, when we can sell our stuff elsewhere for like 50c. Once again, let me repeat, you don't know s#%t about Russian and Ukrainian contributors if you went to our countries a couple of times and saw people earning less than on the west. Graphic designers and photographers earn the same everywhere, as long as they sell their art on the web. Just stop pretending you know more about us than we ourselves.

8 minutes ago, LongJon said:

adobe performs better for u...i don't work for ss and i already said what i think...skilled people in ukraine and russia don't sell for 10 cent? most russian contributor are on istock already selling for penny....i repeat you don't have a clue of this industry....in russia people work as doctor in hospital for 500 dollar..in ukraine 250....i know many cause i make lot of documentary there....in ukraine and it expert earn 4 5 times less than an america one that's why there are lot of company moving in ukraine from usa....i repeat it0's not offending a country but ukraine cost of living is 4 times less than any wester country, of course salary are 4 times less.. the bulk of russian contributor won't ever leave ss cause for many would means earning nothing...adobe is good for some for many not. 

Even Russians cannot survive on these amounts.

I created on overview of the effects of this new method...

So now I am curious how many sales are from the big subscriptions (350/750 per month) (first 2 rows)

because beside those 2 , the payment per sale actually goes up 🤪

The colored coloms are to compare the new and the old situation
Saw something that earnings will be no less than 10 cents, so it might not be completely accurate.

Schermafbeelding 2020-05-29 om 16.21.57.png

I'm very concerned about the new earnings structure and my future as a stock contributor here. I've been a contributor for a long time and really enjoyed the relationship I had with Shutterstock - it gave me the freedom to pursue my passion without the dreaded deadlines as a graphic designer.  This is very demoralizing for all of us, but the good news is that maybe this will force me to explore new source of revenue - After all, time is money and we all have to figure out what are time is worth.