Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

1 minute ago, MAV Drone said:

yes.
In the videos I will see how it performs in June. if it is worse, I close it immediately.
In the photos I will wait until January 1 to close it if they do not make changes

Don't wait and see, just deactivate it.

Wait and see will take us nowhere, we have to make a statement. We have to be united as much as it is possible and let them wait and see what can happen if you bite the hand that's feeding you. Already ss is on a move deactivating and deleting comments on social media. Also hiring bots to make 5 star reviews on their app. They wouldnt do that if we waited to see what will happen. If you think they will expose your content more to compensate on % they cut from you, they will not. You will just get less and less money for your hard work.

Don't wait and see, stop uploading and deactivate.

The adjustments are being made to align with changes we have been seeing in the global market for creative content.

The increase in supply of content available on the market has resulted in lower prices and free content on some platforms.

I disagree. AS and Pond5 have fair prices and commissions for videos. Commissions for images at SS were already an insult for contributors. And other agencies selling for pennies don't get nearly enough content as AS, P5, SS. Especially not quality content.

The increase in supply of content available on the market has resulted in lower prices and free content on some platforms. With this pricing pressure, Shutterstock must also be competitive while continuing to support the production of high-quality content and driving high licensing volumes world-wide.

And also lose contributors who invest a lot of time in producing content because now their time will mean pennies.

Also, the previous earnings structure was based on inequitable factors, such as lifetime earnings.

And resetting on January 1st is equitable?

while fairly compensating our contributors for the time and talent invested in the production of their work.

I think they have a different notion for the meaning of the word "fair".

The new compensation model allows contributors to receive a true percentage share from each download, rewarding content creators for producing quality work that is fresh, relevant and currently in demand by our customers.

While SS just keeps a bigger cut and basically pays less pennies than what they already did, but for more work on contributors part to even come close to what they were earning previously.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to contact us anytime.

Or you can reach me at AS and P5 if you decide to reverse / revise / make fair this payment model.

20 minutes ago, aka.M1ke said:

From SS: "The increase in supply of content available on the market has resulted in lower prices and free content on some platforms.  Shutterstock must also be competitive while continuing to support the production of high-quality content and driving high licensing volumes world-wide."

The problem is, no one is going to produce the content they want for the price they want to pay!  Who's going to spend hours creating an awesome vector or shooting paid models for pennies on the dollar?!?!

If the real reason for doing this is to compete with free sites, then they're already doomed, because there is no competition for free except more free.  Sad to say it, but the SS business model specifically, and micro stock generally, is a dead-end gig.  

Just will add that the way they're doing this is the worst way possible.  It will guarantee a significant decline in quality content at a time when they're trying to get customers to buy.  What SS will be left with is the kind of garbage no one will want to pay for, as professional media creators go elsewhere to sell their work.

The funniest  thing I ever saw in my life is a bunch  of people using the corporate owned message boards
  to  plan a general  strike against  the corporation. 

You do  realize how foolish and futile that is,  don't you?

2 minutes ago, shufu photoexperience said:

Every empire in history has collapsed from inside!

You're deluding yourself,  you want an effective strike,  stop  telling them your next move.  If they  were truly worried about what  you were discussing here,  you would no longer be discussing it here. 

I thought Shutterstock would be a good pension supplement when I retired, clearly I’d have been better investing in Shutterstock shares rather than investing in the database.

5 hours ago, LongJon said:

the only way a petition or a protest can work is that russian and ukrainian contributor masssively begin cancelling their account, starting from africa photos who account for 0,5 % of total images in ss.....ukrainiana and russian alone account for 150 millions file probably, something like this.....they will never delete anything cause their economy is collapsing, right now they are in  full covid and their government is not usa or france who help people, nobody is helped out there, especially those who live full time, most contributor there are full time, not like western country were probably less than 10% are full time and the rest are not living out of stocks,  and for them with their currency totally devaluated against dollar, in practice earning in dollar make them earn 3 times richer than comparable salary in their currency. ( to make people understand when this massive flow of images come from russia ukraine you must know that in 2014 the ukrainian currency was worth 8 against one dollar, those earning 10000 hrivnia , for example some friend in bank, earned near 1200 dollar per month, now they earn practically the same and hrivnia is 28 agains one dollar, so they earn near 400 dollar in practice, you understand how earning even 300 in stocks make a long way in ukraine) ....and the same for indian thailand contributor ss know exactly this and make this move based on this fact....it's not a case that 99% of photos in their articles come from contributors in these countries...without them massively deleting files any protest is useless....when fotolia starts million dollar photo...old contributor remember probably, the protest who follow that move began exactly from ukrainian contributors, who in 2014 were not even many but growing a lot.

without a big collective strike from those country forget to succeed.

You are already unbearable. I'm from Azerbaijan. This is a less developed country than Russia and Ukraine. I disconnected my account a month ago due to a 9-dollar for 4K video, moved to Pond5 in exclusive, a bad experience forced me to return. As soon as I returned again the bad news from Shutterstock and I again disconnected my account now.

No matter how cheap a currency is in a weak country, all products are priced in dollars. With every depreciation of the local currency, import prices rise. In weak countries, 70 percent of products are made up of imports.

Whoever has enough in life, he earns so much, and no more than that, laziness does not allow him to earn more than necessary and becomes suber rich.

In a weak country, whoever earns how much, he has to share with poor relatives. He cannot break away from society and live rich  alone in his cave.

1 hour ago, eskystudio said:
I think a lot of people dont understand that If SS is able to pull this change through the industry is done and we can definitely forget about decent pay anywhere else.
Adobe Stock won't be able to maintain higher prices and will follow suit. Smaller agencies will go lower.
This is the  last line of defense for us  actually, it would be great people start seeing it this way.

Adobe Stock don't rely solely on stock sales to support their business model like SS does so they can afford to look after their contributors a lot better while still offering competitive prices for their customers. Adobe Stock are probably rubbing their hands with a sense of enjoyment at this latest display of desperation. 

Meanwhile the Earnings Schedule page still lists the current rates, with no update for those of us already contributing, and perhaps even worse no warning to unsuspecting folks signing up. Seem a bit out of touch? 

https://submit.shutterstock.com/payouts?language=en_US. Screenshot below in case it actually got updated.

Why do some large companies have such a hard time seeing in from the outside, yet some do it really well. Ponder that.

Image.jpeg

19 minutes ago, AC Rider said:

I thought Shutterstock would be a good pension supplement when I retired, clearly I’d have been better investing in Shutterstock shares rather than investing in the database.

NO! SS stock is going down...

On 5/26/2020 at 10:47 AM, Todd Taulman Photography said:

Just the next way the corporation screws the creatives. With over 40k lifetime downloads for this company. I find this reprehensible, but not unexpected. Death of stock imagery is coming. Better for my studio, creating more custom content for clients.

But you know all of us could screw the corporation by not uploading any content. Organize into a union and demand better.

This site will be for our photos that don't have any sales on other sites!

50 minutes ago, Steven Tritton said:

Adobe Stock don't rely solely on stock sales to support their business model like SS does so they can afford to look after their contributors a lot better while still offering competitive prices for their customers. Adobe Stock are probably rubbing their hands with a sense of enjoyment at this latest display of desperation. 

The ones that have a gallery on Adobe Stock and here at the same time... arent so worried...

The right way to define the % structure in a yearly basis is to check at the end of the year how many downloads that contributor sold and apply the % of the next year according to that. Not reset it. Just update is based on the previews year downloads amount. Its a fair solution for both parts.

Doesnt need to be a genious to understand this.

12 minutes ago, Ammit Jack said:

where are the results of that poll ? what is the point of it ?

No results visible (when I go to it).

5 hours ago, MJD Graphics said:

I don't agree with what SS is now doing, especially the reset in January thing, but I think the 'old' model was unsustainable.

"Unsustainable" only because of the ongoing devaluation of creative content and this belief everyone should get everything for free. SS have said it's in response to the global market for creative content. But in pulling this crap and saying we are only worth breadcrumbs while they feast on our hard work, THEY ARE CONTRIBUTING to this ongoing devaluation of OUR content, and nobody should stand for it or try to justify their decision.

I know Picfair is a whole different story, I only sold one picture there, but assume someone is making some money, since they're still there. I entered to check and found this:

"To support our photographers over the coming months, Picfair will be taking ZERO commission on all download and print sales until July 9th. This means all images on Picfair are now 20% more affordable for customers, while photographers will still receive the exact price they ask for. 

This will apply to all downloads and prints sold via Picfair-powered personal stores, and all downloads and prints sold via the Picfair marketplace.

We’ve always been committed to giving photographers the fairest deal possible, and want to do everything we can to help photographers across the globe continue to showcase their creativity during challenging times. "

Again, I know Picfair doesn´t compare with SS, but what a different way of dealing with contributors...

I signed the petition and shared it with my 7,200+ followers on twitter since many are journalists and others are fellow stock photographers, using the #boycottshutterstock hashtag -  the hashtag suggestion came up near the top before I finished typing "boycott" so that's promising. I'm not sure if any of this will change shutterstock's mind but we will certainly fail if we don't even try.