Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

It looks like I have to leave this industry. I have been working for 6 years and as an author I don’t like when my work is devalued in this way.

WHAT IS THAT, WHAT THE ..

This may be the most greedy capitalism I have ever seen in my life. ARE YOU JOKING? If it's a joke it's not funny.

Me and my friends will decide to delete our account after this DISASTER decision.

It's a carrot and stick approach to getting us to work harder.  The problem is, we all get nothing but stick for the first few months of every new year.  That's not the way to incentivize people to contribute more.

22 minutes ago, Skyward Kick Productions said:

I really wish someone from Shutterstock would reply because this is pretty important - 

I don't think it rolls back every January the way we've all interpreted. And I'm basing this on the e-mail they sent me with my tier. I was granted a tier 4 (500-2500 sales) BUT I haven't yet made 500 sales in 2020. So that must be based on my 2019 earnings. 

interpreted?  it's what they wrote....  their BOLDING

All contributors reset to level 1 for both images and videos every year on January 1st.

1 minute ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

We are moving to a percentage based earnings model for all licensing plans. The amount contributors earn from each download is a percentage of the price paid by the customer for that license. 

This means your commission will always be a percent of what the customer paid for their license. The flat rate commissions (like 25¢) are going away.

That means you're screwing the contributor because you can discount and sale price all you want, at your discretion, and that gets passed to us.  But in the big picture, you're still making coin.  You should be embarrassed at this whole scandal.

A DREAM FINISHED !!
now I am at level 4, do you think it is right that with my experience you return to level 1 !! ???
a crazy choice for SS !!!
SS will no longer have collaborators willing to earn 4 boiled chestnuts!
  from today I won't spend time uploading to SS !!
luckily I have other agencies to upload my works to !!

Shutterstock finally shows its ugly face: its management is made up of cold, heartless, greedy people who have no problem destroying thousands of contributor lives during this already difficult corona pandemic. Making contributors pay for your complete failure to boost sales is just beyond reprehensible. You're not even slightly interested in creating a sustainable environment for your contributor base, so don't pretend that you want a fair playing field.

You guys are the exact reason why no one trusts the big corporations, why the wealth in the world is unevenly divided, why the environment is in bad shape: endless corporate greed. There is a special place in hell for you, Shutterstock management.

This email really doesn't give enough information, to fully understand what this actually means.

I will reserve judgment until we get the full details.

What the hell is going on with all stock sites. This won't reflect anything, this only screws over the contributors. And you reset the level every year? WTF? Greedy piece of crap stock site. We are the contributors, we make the content you sell, we are the reason you have earnings, and you poke our eyes out with 15%? Every decent manager takes 10% of its clients earnings, and 90% to the artist, and thats what you are shutterstock, a manager of the content that we create. This is plane simple theft, and this shouldn't be legal.

We are moving to a percentage based earnings model for all licensing plans. The amount contributors earn from each download is a percentage of the price paid by the customer for that license. 

This means your commission will always be a percent of what the customer paid for their license. The flat rate commissions (like 25¢) are going away.

What about pack pricing? Obviously $.33 isn't something we can go off of.

This isn't equality, this is spitting in our faces. Disgusting greedy move. 

For years i've been a loyal contributor, but right now I started looking for other places to share my images at. 

Better than humiliating myself by keeping portfolio here. 

We-contributors-deserve DECENT PAYMENT!

I don't think I will delete my account (although I want to so much), but photos I uploaded today are the last I will ever upload on SS.

I really hope AS will start accepting editorials soon.

This is shameful and ridiculous at the same time. 

54 minutes ago, otsphoto said:

Elaborate please. 

A reset in the beginning of each year to LEVEL 1?! So in the beginning of each year we will all be earning 15%? 

That's correct. Our new compensation model is designed to reward content creators for producing quality work that is fresh, relevant and in demand by our customers. By resetting the royalty levels each year, we aim to provide an avenue for contributors to be fairly rewarded for content that is performing well at the current time.

The adjustments are being made to align with changes we have been seeing in the global market for creative content. They also help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential.

14 minutes ago, Aaron of L.A. Photography said:

most contriboutor use bigger plan not this...those who need few images by them od or sod...and especially for those who buy pack of 700 you earn 6 cent. 

2 minutes ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

Seriously?

So for a 750 image a month package at 25 cents a month, people are now going to get 15% of 25 cents starting out in january?!

so 3 CENTS per image?!

Going up to a huge 6 CENTS per image for the 350 pack.

So its even worse than you said, people earning $0.36, $0.38 currently will drop to $0.03 or so ?!

5 minutes ago, Aaron of L.A. Photography said:

I believe you are way too optimistic about it since you are only looking at 10 subs per month deal.

750 subs per month sells for usd200 

That is 27 cents divided by 35% and you will very likely to get 9 cents per download.

That's correct. Our new compensation model is designed to reward content creators for producing quality work that is fresh, relevant and in demand by our customers. By resetting the royalty levels each year, we aim to provide an avenue for contributors to be fairly rewarded for content that is performing well at the current time.

The adjustments are being made to align with changes we have been seeing in the global market for creative content. They also help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential.

That's why, at the least, you use a ROLLING total.  You don't reset it from X to ZERO on a random day.

1 minute ago, Richard Whitcombe said:

Seriously?

So for a 750 image a month package at 25 cents a month, people are now going to get 15% of 25 cents starting out in january?!

so 3 CENTS per image?!

Going up to a huge 6 CENTS per image for the 350 pack.

So its even worse than you said, people earning $0.36, $0.38 currently will drop to $0.03 or so ?!

correct

22 minutes ago, Aaron of L.A. Photography said:

If people want to leave, leave more money for others. If you actually did the calculation you will see the difference. Base on the subscription model that customers pay for. I will be making over a dollar now. I am happy with that. 

pls show the caculation

Kate, if large packs are being brought. Will  contributes be seeing under $.10 the first month?