New earnings structure for Contributors

52 minutes ago, Helen Hotson said:

I emailed support as well to tell them how betrayed and undervalued I felt and that basically their new commision rates are exploitation. Just got the same reply

"our new compensation model is designed to reward content creators for producing quality work that is fresh, relevant and in-demand by our customers. By resetting the royalty levels each year, we aim to provide an avenue for contributors to be fairly rewarded for content that is performing well at the current time."

Repeating that nonsense parrot fashion doesn't make it true, exploitation is exploitation no matter how you try to dress it.

Could you please post that on SS Facebook?

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This is just a joke. 10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips??? No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year.... To get to the curr

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Fredrik Bourdette said:

Skysense, it was not ever my intension to "hang out" India as freud country, I was reacting to the names, it could be any of your nearby countries aswell. Not my inteintion to offend anyone! Sorry bro!

Hahaha, non taken! Im not even sure what are you talking about :D

I was comparing SS bots to bots from my country - Serbia :D

The new pricing scheme is a SCAM!

I will turn my account OFF from the 1st until @Kate Shutterstock says this is all a mistake and they reconsider their intentions.

Does Shutterstock actually knows how much time it costs to create valuable stock content and administration?

What pricing scheme should we (as contributors) think is a really fair pricing model?

Any suggestions?

Incredible, after all the time and effort it took to get at least some  small extra income from SS,  they are cutting our revenues.  The only motivation I get from this, is to stop providing this platform with any fresh editorial content I was providing them for those pennies. 

Lets see how much good content they will get at this rates, good equipment costs a lot of money and only  a full would invest +2k EUR on equipment to get  0,10 eur on the picture. 

87 pages of irate comments so far and they want us to share any questions or concerns privately with their contributor support team? Seems the volume is turned up louder when there are thousands of comments in the public eye and we are all supporting one another against this outrageous money grab on the backs of struggling content providers. All they need to do is read this thread to find out about our questions and concerns. And then answer us all at once, not ignore the emails completely or respond one at a time.

shutterstock.jpg.5511760d6dee12a87c53e16289cb56cc.jpg

It seems the text from their facebook page is slightly different and maybe more promising:

"We recently announced a change to our contributor earnings structure which has raised concerns from our community. We are actively reviewing all feedback and addressing contributor questions directly.
Please contact our contributor support team via submit@shutterstock.com with any questions you may have."

ss.jpg
13 minutes ago, Kirk Fisher said:

It seems the text from their facebook page is slightly different and maybe more promising:

"We recently announced a change to our contributor earnings structure which has raised concerns from our community. We are actively reviewing all feedback and addressing contributor questions directly.
Please contact our contributor support team via submit@shutterstock.com with any questions you may have."

ss.jpg

Yes, slightly different but I don't think promising. I emailed submit@shutterstock.com their answer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------,

I completely understand your point.

The adjustments are being made to align with changes we have been seeing in the global market for creative content. They also help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential.

As the global need for content increases, the volume of content being produced also continues to grow. The increase in supply of content available on the market has resulted in lower prices and free content on some platforms. With this pricing pressure, Shutterstock must also be competitive while continuing to support the production of high-quality content and driving high licensing volumes world-wide.

While we have historically paid contributors based on a percentage of the license value along with a fixed-rate for some plans, paying at fixed-rates is no longer aligned with how customers engage with those products. Also, the previous earnings structure was based on inequitable factors, such as lifetime earnings.

Starting on June 1st, 2020, we are moving to a percentage based earnings model for all licensing plans. The amount contributors earn from each download is a percentage of the price paid by the customer for that license.

Shutterstock aims to provide customers with competitive plans and pricing, while fairly compensating our contributors for the time and talent invested in the production of their work.

The new compensation model allows contributors to receive a true percentage share from each download, rewarding content creators for producing quality work that is fresh, relevant and currently in demand by our customers.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to contact us anytime.

Thanks,
Pulkit
Shutterstock Contributor Care Team

6 minutes ago, eskystudio said:

What SS doesn't seem to understand is that the change they proposed brings a lot of us to a situation when we have nothing to lose and would rather lose the rest of miserable pennies than keep producing content.

It is a foregone conclusion that tons of contributors (even while keeping portfolios) will completely stop uploading images or videos to shutterstock. Those who will still upload - will do it with significant delay to make sure SS does not get the fresh content first and they get a fairer shake on Adobe/Alamy/etc first.

One of their main objective 'to get new relevant content' would be out of reach. 

@Kate Shutterstock, is it that difficult to explain with numbers how this could be possibly better for someone? I mean, if Shutterstock, as Mr.Brennan said in an article, cares about contributors, you get over 2000 angry contributors opposing something you say can be better but refuse to explain how. Unless there's no answer, of course. That seems to be the case, hence you just repeat the FAQs mantra expecting the storm to pass. You're right, it will pass, but it's still to see at what cost.

BTW, it's also incredible foolish to set up a forum like this and the ask contributors to communicate by email. It's beyond silly to put lots of people to answer by mail something that can reach hundreds, if not thousands, here. I thought that was the whole point of having a forum.

2 minutes ago, ribeiroantonio said:

Really?

I've done the same yesterday. I don't mind a few dollars less, and I have the decision of closing completely my (small, true, since the majority is sourced through BlackBox) video port and take it elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, eskystudio said:

I don't think you've readd the line about being deprived of new content. They will have tons of images, no doubt, but it won't be new.

And they actually say that this move is to get "new, fresh and in demand content", so not uploading nothing new makes sense as a way of boicott. Still, many wil continue uploading, so we'll see if it actually means something. But taking action is always good, at least we tried to put things on track.

2 minutes ago, eskystudio said:

I don't think you've readd the line about being deprived of new content. They will have tons of images, no doubt, but it won't be new.

that is true, i have read it, if there still is blood in them to ruins the entire industry sooner or later we wont make a living out of stock in general. when other will follow the same path geting 3c here or 3c on other agencies you still end up with 3c ... that is my point

38 minutes ago, eskystudio said:
I think a lot of people dont understand that If SS is able to pull this change through the industry is done and we can definitely forget about decent pay anywhere else.
Adobe Stock won't be able to maintain higher prices and will follow suit. Smaller agencies will go lower.
This is the  last line of defense for us  actually, it would be great people start seeing it this way.

This is, sadly, very much true. AS and P5 will follow with crazy subscription plans, and they will cut our commission, it is just a matter of time.

SS should be last line of defense as eskystudio said.

On 5/27/2020 at 7:02 PM, Phil Lowe said:

Most people are waiting until Sunday to turn off their image ports.  Some are going to give the new system a month or two to see how it works.  But most people I've read here and on Facebook have indicated that they're done uploading here.  My guess is the second number will take a hit before the first one does, but by January 1st, there could be serious dents in both figures.  We'll have to wait and see.  

As for me, I just shut my image port down now.  No use in waiting until Sunday.  SS existed before I came along, and will probably keep going long after I'm gone.  But I'll be damned if they'll make one more penny off of my work.  I'm not going to work for sharecropper's wages.  Not going to happen.

yes.
In the videos I will see how it performs in June. if it is worse, I close it immediately.
In the photos I will wait until January 1 to close it if they do not make changes