New earnings structure for Contributors

the only way a petition or a protest can work is that russian and ukrainian contributor masssively begin cancelling their account, starting from africa photos who account for 0,5 % of total images in ss.....ukrainiana and russian alone account for 150 millions file probably, something like this.....they will never delete anything cause their economy is collapsing, right now they are in  full covid and their government is not usa or france who help people, nobody is helped out there, especially those who live full time, most contributor there are full time, not like western country were probably less than 10% are full time and the rest are not living out of stocks,  and for them with their currency totally devaluated against dollar, in practice earning in dollar make them earn 3 times richer than comparable salary in their currency. ( to make people understand when this massive flow of images come from russia ukraine you must know that in 2014 the ukrainian currency was worth 8 against one dollar, those earning 10000 hrivnia , for example some friend in bank, earned near 1200 dollar per month, now they earn practically the same and hrivnia is 28 agains one dollar, so they earn near 400 dollar in practice, you understand how earning even 300 in stocks make a long way in ukraine) ....and the same for indian thailand contributor ss know exactly this and make this move based on this fact....it's not a case that 99% of photos in their articles come from contributors in these countries...without them massively deleting files any protest is useless....when fotolia starts million dollar photo...old contributor remember probably, the protest who follow that move began exactly from ukrainian contributors, who in 2014 were not even many but growing a lot.

without a big collective strike from those country forget to succeed.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This is just a joke. 10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips??? No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year.... To get to the curr

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

@Kate Shutterstock "The adjustments are being made to align with changes we have been seeing in the global market for creative content. They also help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential".

Please explain the logic here - it makes no sense. Seems to be a bad attempt at SS talking points. What have you seen in the global market place for creative content, that justifies such a drastic change. Also, as you advertise thousands of new content each week - its all fresh content - RIGHT? 

Where is the "greater earnings potential", when you reduce the income potential for everybody, on Jan 1 every year.

I won't hold my breath, waiting for an explanation that makes sense to us all and perhaps put all of our minds at ease.

Thank you. 

3 minutes ago, GregDPhotos said:

Yesterday, I contacted contributor support with this question:

Regarding the payout structure change to take effect on Monday: Do you have projections for the year-over-year effect on earnings by contributors who reach tier 2 in March, 3 in May, and 4 in September?

Here's the answer I got today:

Please be informed, our new compensation model is designed to reward content creators for producing quality work that is fresh, relevant and in-demand by our customers. By resetting the royalty levels each year, we aim to provide an avenue for contributors to be fairly rewarded for content that is performing well at the current time.

The adjustments are being made to align with changes we have been seeing in the global market for creative content. They also help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to contact us anytime.

Canned corporate answer.  That's all the information they will offer.  It's all lies and BS.  There is nothing "fair" about the new system.  There is nothing "fair" about an annual reset of everyone back to level 1.  It is a scheme designed to take more money from the owners of the media - our media - and line the pockets of executives and shareholders with it.

My ports are down.  We'll see how many other people are fed up enough to do the same.

3 hours ago, El Caron said:

Old contributors maybe remember 2014, when sales start going down and down until last year...

So look at the SS stock price.

Some CEO genius is on board of this company and is interested only for bonuses, we will die without bonuses!!! 😄

Clipboard01.jpg

Much more shocking than the share crashing from a top at 100 usd in 2014, their valuation is still very high with a PE ratio of 78 while the growth has dramatically decrease and the margin as well. In 2019, they made only 20 millions USD of net income. They made 32 millions in 2016!!! There is absolutly no reason that SS should trade with such a high valuation, for instance Google (alphabet) trade only at 28 time PE with still a very healthy growth. Facebook PE is only 31 and registered 27% growth in sales in 2019 while SS got only 4%. SS stock at 18 USD (50% decline) would still look expensive to me. We think they are just greedy, they might just act to avoid a massive decline in share price. Want to make some money long term with SS? short the stock ;)

22 minutes ago, GregDPhotos said:

Please be informed, our new compensation model is designed to reward content creators for producing quality work that is fresh, relevant and in-demand by our customers.

So does this mean they're trying to force us into creating more editorial content? Why not just say so in plain English rather than in business jargon?

You have got to be joking!
Paying the photographer/Video creator anything less than 40% is a disgrace in the first place, 
I have only one name for you, PARASITES!
In a fair and just environment the agency would take no more than 50% and would ensure the contributors were protected 
and encouraged, not trampled and insulted.

Worst management decision ever!!

"All of you are the people who blocked the move, all of you are idiots" - [Hancock] 

So here. 
People screaming that Shutter does not respect the authors, while they themselves advertised Freepik with the most meager payouts - you are all idiots !!! 
Why would Shutter pay the authors more when the author himself uploads the work to another stock on which he receives meager payments? 
Guilty of all whose work flashed on the drains with scanty deductions. 
Studio portfolios are to blame the most !!!! 
If you want to achieve something and express your protest as a sign of new changes at Shutterstock, delete your portfolios with Freepik 
---------------
"Все вы люди, загородившие переезд, все вы идиоты" - [Хэнкок]

Так вот. 
Люди кричащие что Shutter не уважает авторов, в то время как сами же рекламировали Freepik с самыми мизерными выплатами - вы все идиоты!!! 
Зачем Shutter будет выплачивать авторам больше, когда сам автор грузит работы на другой сток на котором получает мизерные выплаты?
 Виноваты все чьи работы мелькают на стоках с мизерными отчислениями. 
Больше всех виноваты студийные портфели !!!! 
Если вы хотите чего нибудь добиться и выразить свой протест в знак новым изменениям на Shutterstock, удалите свои портфели с Freepik

23 minutes ago, fullempty said:

I hesitated a long time to remove all my portfolio, but didn't want to lose the work of many years.

So I decided to remove my top 5 performers pictures (around 500-1000$ for each picture) hoping to sell it more on others stocks agency...

Maybe if we all do that (sacrifice our five best-selling photos) SS will review its position and in particular the reset to zero every January 1st.

Thanks for absolutely nothing and not valuing your creators. You've had people here for 10 years or more that literally built your platform and supplied it with content, and now you are screwing them, just like Google, YouTube and Facebook. Terrible, just terrible behavior. My earnings will now go from a trickle to a drop. Maybe I can afford to get a beer at my local beer garden once a year.

This is a freaking joke.

10 minutes ago, I TRY MY BEST said:

"All of you are the people who blocked the move, all of you are idiots" - [Hancock] 

So here. 
People screaming that Shutter does not respect the authors, while they themselves advertised Freepik with the most meager payouts - you are all idiots !!! 
Why would Shutter pay the authors more when the author himself uploads the work to another stock on which he receives meager payments? 
Guilty of all whose work flashed on the drains with scanty deductions. 
Studio portfolios are to blame the most !!!! 
If you want to achieve something and express your protest as a sign of new changes at Shutterstock, delete your portfolios with Freepik 

Amen!! But you can't delete you fpik portfolio as easy as on SS

50 minutes ago, Phil Lowe said:

Canned corporate answer.  That's all the information they will offer.  It's all lies and BS.  There is nothing "fair" about the new system.  There is nothing "fair" about an annual reset of everyone back to level 1.  It is a scheme designed to take more money from the owners of the media - our media - and line the pockets of executives and shareholders with it.

My ports are down.  We'll see how many other people are fed up enough to do the same.

Besides, that answer is in the FAQs. They're not even willing to provide answers other than refer us to the same FAQ mantra

5 minutes ago, botiordog said:

when should these change take effect? as I just have had  a video sale for which I received 0.60 usd 

June 1 you will experience your new tier based on this year's downloads.  January 1, 2021, you will be reset to level 1.  Mazel tov!

My new tagline when people go looking for my port(s):

"I have stopped licensing my video and images for sale here in response to pay cuts Shutterstock foisted on contributors. Thank you for understanding."

27 minutes ago, MJD Graphics said:

Let's be honest, when IS/Getty pulled their stunt with $0.02 and $0.03 revenues for images everyone also screamed like hell and indeed a lot of contributors did leave but IS/Getty is still a major player in the MS world, so contributors screaming and leaving did not have any effect. SS has also noticed this and already know that the same effect won't have much effect on them. It will also only be a matter of time before other agencies realise the same thing and start pulling the same stunts eventually killing the whole MS market. I don't agree with what SS is now doing, especially the reset in January thing, but I think the 'old' model was unsustainable.

yes because a lot of contributors are satisfied with the amount they get because a few cents mean a lot in their country , any descent manager takes 10% of their clients, and shutterstosck is nothing more than a manager, a manager that takes 85%, thats basically robbery 

2 minutes ago, botiordog said:

да, потому что многие вкладчики довольны суммой, которую они получают, потому что несколько центов значат для их страны много, любой менеджер по спуску берет 10% своих клиентов, а shutterstosck - не более чем менеджер, менеджер, который берет 85%, вот в основном грабеж 

I have not sent to IS for many years.))) I see no reason to waste time.