Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

On 5/26/2020 at 5:49 PM, Duncan Andison said:

I don't think this is what they're saying. Your earnings rate will be determined each year after it is reset on January 1st... I presumed that would be the previous years sales. @Kate Shutterstock is this right...If you are lowering everyone's earnings until they cross each threshold, I think you're about to loose a lot of portfolios.

there seems to be some different yard sticks used for different people how SS categorized us into different Levels. can you @Kate Shutterstock please clarify what time period you used to issue us these "Levels"? my guess is that it was based on the Jan. 01 to this point in 2020. Is this right? or was it based on the period between June 01/ 2019 and now? Thank you.

11 minutes ago, oixxo said:

Hey guys, just FYI - there will be no changes into subscription plans for buyers. I was given that answer by SS support:

Wow, thats a ballsy reply. Seems like a game theory type reply, I'll not change you are free to do what you want. 

Well what if that means people leaving with their port and buyers suing you for a year long subscription that can't give them content they need

1 hour ago, samoyloff said:

They understand that we are "concerned" when we're infuriated. They "hear" us and our feedback is "important", but there is no reply in this thread for several days from any Shutterstock representative. Hypocrites and liars. P.S.: I just got banned in their Twitter for expressing my "concerns". I will no longer be able to do that, but you guys can step in and tell them what you really think.

image.png.92e5841169fdc1ef5b2575a4e2d2788b.png

Can you say what exactly it was that you posted that you got you banned? Are they just silencing anyone voicing a concern, or were you perhaps "too aggressive" (by their standards)?

Disgusting by SS. I'm not a big contributor but still I can't support this awful decision with my conscience.  I'll be deleting my portfolio within ten days. Screw this shit pay and shit treatment of contributors 

8 minutes ago, Firn said:

They always had a very bad review there, not because they pay their contributors shitty rates, but because a lof of poeple end up with a subscription not understanding what it means and want out. But you can't have the cheapes subscription for a whole year, use it a month and expect to get the full money back for the remaining 11 months. Then you would have needed to pick the more expensive package for a month only.

I have seen that other companies like Adobe stock have not a so good review too.
I think that most of the people going on this kind of site is doing it just when they want to complain…

It's disconcerting that I received two .60 cents commission payouts for two HD videos sold this month. That's prior to the new system. I suppose video will also go as low as .10 beginning June 1. SS is setting a dangerous precedent for this industry.

4 minutes ago, Maxal Tamor said:

I have seen that other companies like Adobe stock have not a so good review too.
I think that most of the people going on this kind of site is doing it just when they want to complain…

True, but iStock and Adobe Stock only have about 30 reviews or so each. Shutterstock now has 460+, and is now the lowest rated out of Shutterstock, Adobe Stock, iStock, and Getty Images.

On 5/26/2020 at 5:30 PM, Kate Shutterstock said:

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjustment in order to reflect changes in the market for creative content, help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential. 

Starting on June 1st, 2020, your earnings for each license will be based on your Image Level or your Video Level.  

earnings-for-images-forum.png.89c1b679a14834960f019668d0f028d0.png

earnings-for-videos-forum.png.803eddaf31ab4c904b5d8d660bc0495a.png

On June 1, you will be placed in an Image Level and a Video Level based on your download count so far in 2020. The email you receive today will let you know which levels you are in as of this morning. 

How does it work?

• These new levels are based on the number of times your content is licensed rather than your lifetime earnings. 
  • All contributors reset to level 1 for both images and videos every year on January 1st.
  • There are separate levels for images and for videos, and you graduate through them independently based on your download count in each category.

My uploads stop, shutterstock goes all the way down of my agencies. Making new content for pond5 and alamy. Dont have more time for shutterstock

I just reached a 3K lifetime earnings threshold today, I was so looking forward to getting to a new level.... And all for what? Only for SS to erase all my achievements? I've had enough trouble with submissions already - property releases for hand-drawn illustrations get rejected more than 50% of the time, "similar content" gets rejected even when it is not that similar... It is too much work already to upload images and now I'll be getting .15 per image beginning January for all that trouble? This is a joke. 

22 hours ago, Ammit Jack said:

what is the purpose of this ? do you think they will give a f ? is there a case for legal action or just wate of time?

This is a petition. Don't need an explanation of meaning.

i just told them to close my account.  i am small potatoes and I'm sure they don't care.  I will be waiting for one of you clever people to start a new company.  CUL8R

On 5/26/2020 at 11:30 AM, Forum Moderation Team said:

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions. 

My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct?

Apologies. The email to video contributors contained an error, and a corrected email is forthcoming. The Level breakdown above is the correct one (Level 2 starts after your 10th video download).

---

So I'm currently in level one. Instead of getting $0.25 per download, what am I going to get now?

We are moving to a percentage based earnings model for all licensing plans. The amount contributors earn from each download is a percentage of the price paid by the customer for that license. 

This means your commission will always be a percent of what the customer paid for their license. The flat rate commissions (like 25¢) are going away.

---

At the beginning of each year we move to LEVEL 1? So in the beginning of each year we will all be earning 15%? 

Correct. Our new compensation model is designed to reward content creators for producing quality work that is fresh, relevant and in demand by our customers. By resetting the royalty levels each year, we aim to provide an avenue for contributors to be fairly rewarded for content that is performing well at the current time.

The adjustments are being made to align with changes we have been seeing in the global market for creative content. They also help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential.

----

What about subscriptions? Will those earnings be calculated as a percentage, too? Will I see earnings of less than a cent?!

When the new earnings structure goes into effect, the payout for subscription plans will not be less than 10¢.

---

If a customer buys a pack or sub, but doesn’t use it all, how are my earnings calculated?

When a customer buys a pack or subscription, your commission is calculated based on the price per asset assuming full usage of the pack or subscription. For example, if a customer buys a 10 images per month subscription at $49 per month, the price per image is $4.90. Your earnings percentage is based on $4.90 regardless of how many images the customer downloads from their allotment. 

---

How much do I earn if a customer downloads my content during a “free trial”?

When a customer downloads your image as part of a free trial, your commission is based on your earnings level, as with all other downloads. The price per asset we use to calculate your earning depends on the package or promotion the customer is using, but your commission will not be lower than 10¢.

Free Images of the Month are negotiated separately, and if your images are part of that promotion, you will be contacted by our team.

@Kate Shutterstock  still waiting for the illustration of business mix and impact on commission so we can make a decision by June 1. Thanks

3 hours ago, Fredrik Bourdette said:

If you take a look at some of the names there, are they bying reviews from India?

Yeah, thats low. They hire people that in my country are called bots to vote for them.

Our regime 'government' is doing the same thing on facebook, twitter and instagram. Twitter just shut down some 8k of fake accounts.

Nice SS, you really are ss.

So, I think SS is on sale for a long time.

SS management team try to increase profit of the company for Q3-Q4 by cutting contributors payments.

Management team of SS do some crazy things last 4-5 years to kill SS contributors and to increase profit of the company, but unfortunately stock prices of their shares going down!

Managers nova days can only safe money, managers nova days don't know how to grow companies without savings.

Managers will sale the SS, take the bonuses and we are welcome to 5cent per image/video... :D 

Bow to leper messiah - Metallica :)

Yesterday, I contacted contributor support with this question:

Regarding the payout structure change to take effect on Monday: Do you have projections for the year-over-year effect on earnings by contributors who reach tier 2 in March, 3 in May, and 4 in September?

Here's the answer I got today:

Please be informed, our new compensation model is designed to reward content creators for producing quality work that is fresh, relevant and in-demand by our customers. By resetting the royalty levels each year, we aim to provide an avenue for contributors to be fairly rewarded for content that is performing well at the current time.

The adjustments are being made to align with changes we have been seeing in the global market for creative content. They also help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to contact us anytime.

4 minutes ago, skysense said:

Yeah, thats low. They hire people that in my country are called bots to vote for them.

Our regime 'government' is doing the same thing on facebook, twitter and instagram. Twitter just shut down some 8k of fake accounts.

Nice SS, you really are ss.

Skysense, it was not ever my intension to "hang out" India as freud country, I was reacting to the names, it could be any of your nearby countries aswell. Not my inteintion to offend anyone! Sorry bro!

6 minutes ago, Sasha Radosavljevich said:

*did you all receive e-mails? i still did not receive mine. *i checked into spam as well - still nothing.

Tuesday at 8:35am Pacific Time.