New earnings structure for Contributors

3 minutes ago, Maxal Tamor said:

I have juste received an email from another agency.
I think that I cannot tell which one here, but the beginning of the mail says:
"Hello ,
It's worth talking about the changes going on in the industry
Shutterstock announced in a post on its contributor forum that it’s putting a new earnings structure in place starting June 1, 2020.
Under the new structure, contributors will get compensated via a percentage of the sales price based on the ‘level’ their photo or videos are rated.

People are angry and rightfully so. Some calling this the "nail in the coffin" with their earnings being cut by 50%. See one user's comment:"
(Then follow a screenshot of a post from an user of this forum)

I think somehow some agencies are going to find a way to make it to their advantage.
Let's see…

yayimages...a company who sold nothing and still owe lot of commission to many contributor since 2012....they smell desperation and come out to steal more money...for me i repeat many don't understand the real situation of complete micro stock industry....i don't want justify ss but the micro stock is collapsing...nobody will earn what they are now in the future no matter what schemings they put on....this is the results of many selling in junk company like yay...giving free images to istock for years....we cannot complaint now we , i put me in the bunch, were those who did this and now complaint....istock sell video for 10 cent since 4 years...they have millions of video , who is the guilty for this? demand is falling down everywhere and offer has skyrocketed because everybody in the world who need some dollars try ell photos....its a cheap industry with zero barrier.....drone now cost 400 dollar from,...camera even can be bought used for penny...studio light from china are cheap as hell....those who are surprised are people who live in the moon...it was clear since 2016 since they open gate and took any contents that this was the end of the story. probably in two years if you earn 1000 now you will get 50 dollar no matter what kind of efforts you do.....it's like instagram influencer youtube videographers.....zillions of people wanna live the live of free travel fun and this make influencer industry collapse too....it's simply not possible in this industry have 200 millions creative...is a fact. so it's totally useless complaint...if you can earn enough keeps on doing this till you can if not move on and find something else.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This is just a joke. 10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips??? No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year.... To get to the curr

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Keith Tarrier said:

I have been watching SS shares since they listed... and as there are so many... how many contributors have enough combined income to buy at least 100 million dollars in value to get their ideas heard? Their shares are pretty bad... but if you bought them, then complained about this... shares price would fall... you would have then lost your money. 

100 millions dollar combined? nobody earn enough to save some money...proabbly a bunch make millions one yuri archers and he did in the beginning, right now he probably earn one tent of what he earned

I know removing my images won't make a difference, but if we all do, it might. I make very few sales here, but it was a nice little side bonus until now. If every contributor, or heck even a decent percentage of us, removes their images, maybe they will get the hint and go back to a fair payout rate. As soon as I got the email I made my images no longer available for sale. I don't know any other profession where 15% would be acceptable for someone who does every bit of the work to produce a product. Fortunately there are alternatives out there that still pay fairly decent, and I would rather never sell another stock image than accept 15%. I truly hope that if Shutterstock is determined to screw contributors over like this, that they go bankrupt quickly. Rather than put in some work to make their business more profitable, and tighten their own belts, they'd rather steal money from the people who are the foundation of their business. Disgusting!

1 minute ago, LongJon said:

yayimages...a company who sold nothing and still owe lot of commission to many contributor since 2012....they smell desperation and come out to steal more money...for me i repeat many don't understand the real situation of complete micro stock industry....i don't want justify ss but the micro stock is collapsing...nobody will earn what they are now in the future no matter what schemings they put on....this is the results of many selling in junk company like yay...giving free images to istock for years....we cannot complaint now we , i put me in the bunch, were those who did this and now complaint....istock sell video for 10 cent since 4 years...they have millions of video , who is the guilty for this? demand is falling down everywhere and offer has skyrocketed because everybody in the world who need some dollars try ell photos....its a cheap industry with zero barrier.....drone now cost 400 dollar from,...camera even can be bought used for penny...studio light from china are cheap as hell....those who are surprised are people who live in the moon...it was clear since 2016 since they open gate and took any contents that this was the end of the story. probably in two years if you earn 1000 now you will get 50 dollar no matter what kind of efforts you do.....it's like instagram influencer youtube videographers.....zillions of people wanna live the live of free travel fun and this make influencer industry collapse too....it's simply not possible in this industry have 200 millions creative...is a fact. so it's totally useless complaint...if you can earn enough keeps on doing this till you can if not move on and find something else.

When I read this email my thoughts have been "When there is smell of dead meat the vultures fly around" :D

I don't know if you know but Yay has changed management some weeks ago. I don't say that they will be different or better, just that different people can have different behavior and different results…

1 minute ago, Maxal Tamor said:

When I read this email my thoughts have been "When there is smell of dead meat the vultures fly around" :D

I don't know if you know but Yay has changed management some weeks ago. I don't say that they will be different or better, just that different people can have different behavior and different results…

the first step to change thing sis make those small penny agency included 123rf dreamtime fail...then consolidate the biggest one so maybe they earn more and are les inclined to cut royalty. repeat the fault is those millions contributor who applied to 30 agency to earn everything they can in small period selling same photos with different price....this is the result we are now....included the millions of idiot who contribute free to unsplash who is the main cause of our declining sales.

I'm a relatively new (couple of years) member of Shutterstock compared to most and have managed to build up my portfolio to 12,000 images, but don't rely on it as a income like many of you, nevertheless, I earn between $150 - $200 a month.  As others have said, this requires considerable time and effort, more so since the rejections 'process' seemed to take a turn for the worse.

I am gutted after all this that my level and earnings will be diminished, and back to rock bottom every January, it just seems so incredibly unfair!  The proof will be in the pudding I suppose, but as to whether Shutterstock have a change of heart, and what the figures actually work out to, remains to be seen.

However, as with others, I am now looking at other stock outlets and have started upload to Adobe.

Regards all,

Kev.

image.png.75e2bd05a639aa514e50da9a519c13a6.png

You guys are really slow.. i've been building other incomes over the Internet(attached is just partial income) .FYI...I have been for more than 10 years with Shutterstock.. No surprises at all with this .. 👍 Move on buddies...Internet is huge and there are many waysss to make money out there.. Stock photo is generally a red ocean/declining trend.   

I think this move hides something else, I will not be surprised if at any point of the next year or so they will close, this looks likes a desperate move to squeeze the last drops from a dry lemon, micro stock is collasping due to many years of changes in our society and how people are taking pictures, many free websites and devaluation of the profession, they know this and maybe they are not selling like before so this could end very soon, so why not take some bonus before closing...

2 minutes ago, wong yu liang said:

You guys are really slow.. i've been building other incomes over the Internet(attached is just partial income) .FYI...I have been for more than 10 years with Shutterstock.. No surprises at all with this .. 👍 Move on buddies...Internet is huge and there are many waysss to make money out there.. Stock photo is generally a red ocean/declining trend.   

2 dollar with 18000 image on 28 days? it's impossible...what is your sub level? 0,38?

1 minute ago, wong yu liang said:

So what do you do? Affiliate? Can you give some examples. Do you have a site? Thank you.

2 dollar with 18000 image on 28 days? it's impossible...what is your sub level? 0,38?

2060 dollars, you missed the k after the number (k=1000)

And he wasn‘t referring to stock, this is a different income source from the internet. Good for him.

1 minute ago, RWBrooks said:

Are we able to form a union?

you cannot form any union because contributors are spread in different country with different salary level and cost of living...apart this e who feels offended if you say their country is cheaper  the truth is that most contributor and images come from country where you can " survive " basically with 500 dollar...i mean survive not middle class...buit in those country who is middle class? mostly survive...so it's better work as micro stock free independent and earn 500 dollar or work 6 days 8 hour to earn even less? those wpeople who are barking now will never delete anything because they are dependant even of 200 dollars earned in micros...that's why ss is acting like this...they know this...they will have always those contributor and millions of files.

1 minute ago, CPxiom said:

So what do you do? Affiliate? Can you give some examples. Do you have a site? Thank you.

i generate traffic and convert them into ads(same technique).. im doing youtube too.. i'm getting 400usd per month from youtube only so far .. my videos are crappy

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWSrzcHHnfL_bIbhYYFwHOw

i know i'm not good at generating content.. just started last year..but, we have some start somewhere.. this has been fast and caught up/exceeding my Shutterstock earnings in some months...Lesson in life.. don't keep hitting the wall..you'll be dead doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. The Internet is huge out there.new niche, new technology.. always new ways to  make money online 

4 minutes ago, Jasmin Awad said:

2060 dollars, you missed the k after the number (k=1000)

And he wasn‘t referring to stock, this is a different income source from the internet. Good for him.

well good but 2000 dollar in usa makes you live mostly under a bridge...that's why i always said these work on internet are possible only in determined country where with 1000 you already earn much more than a lot of people...imagine 2000

1 minute ago, wong yu liang said:

i generate traffic and convert them into ads(same technique).. im doing youtube too.. i'm getting 400usd per month from youtube only so far .. my videos are crappy

i know i'm not good at generating content.. just started last year..but, we have some start somewhere.. this has been fast and caught up/exceeding my Shutterstock earnings in some months...Lesson in life.. don't keep hitting the wall..you'll be dead doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. The Internet is huge out there.new niche, new technology.. always new ways to  make money online 

good positive attitude...400 dollar with so low view number? how can you earn like this.....you're attitude is what i always say...it's ended? move n instead of complaining....microstock will never last is at the end of cycle...350 million images ten website with millions of free images...everyday more and more content and demand is collapsing...its simple economy...it doesn't take keynes to understand this. 

1 minute ago, B. Melo said:

Since shutterstock is a pubIic traded company, I wonder what could be done if thousands of shutterstock contributors got together and bought shutterstock shares. Perhaps then we could influence company policy and stop the race to the bottom. It’s impressive how people who actually produce anything just get poorer by the day and parasites who live off their creativity keep getting fatter and fatter. And still we call this a “partnership”.

NO! 

well good but 2000 dollar in usa makes you live mostly under a bridge...that's why i always said these work on internet are possible only in determined country where with 1000 you already earn much more than a lot of people...imagine 2000

agreed.. my traffic is mostly from my country thus it is very very hard for me to earn beyond .. but 2000 dollars is like a few times household income in where i'm living.. 

good positive attitude...400 dollar with so low view number? how can you earn like this.....you're attitude is what i always say...it's ended? move n instead of complaining....microstock will never last is at the end of cycle...350 million images ten website with millions of free images...everyday more and more content and demand is collapsing...its simple economy...it doesn't take keynes to understand this. 

Thank you. yes not much views.. i have very different strategy as compared to other YT ...my target is only to earn 0.10 usd from each video daily.. all my videos do not cost to produce but they solve people's problem so their lifespan is longer although it's pretty hard for them to go viral...the goal is to have over 1000 videos so i can hit 100USD daily.. that's damn good income in where i'm living. 

5 minutes ago, wong yu liang said:

Thanks. You have a useful channel... Thousands of views. I also started a YT channel 2 weeks ago. Only 12 subscribers so far. Was thinking to start affiliate revenue also, do website maybe... with images? Don't know yet. Meanwhile I am trading, lost 1 year and a half training and losing money. Now I am on break even, mostly, sometimes I have consistent wining for 2- months, then lose, but overall break even with some consistency. It was very hard. It still is.