New earnings structure for Contributors

Posted (edited)

I think this would be a great solution,(Do Not Reset in January for Long Time Members)  long time members should not be knocked down like this, this takes the heart out of wanting to upload to Shutterstock!

I have been consistently uploaded since 2006, very proud of my portfolio of well over 4000 images, and over 40,000 downloads, it is unconscionable that Shutterstock would do this to a loyal contributor, this is worse than we are treated by politicians. 1272484690_ScreenShot2020-05-28at9_23_12AM.thumb.png.2c46faa2a7004b329b22eafcc4dd8109.png 

Edited by Andrew F. Kazmierski
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This is just a joke. 10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips??? No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year.... To get to the curr

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, LongJon said:

No video will be loser... they make all of this mostly to cut video royalty.

Therefor I will pull my video portfolio from SS. I have allready done that earlier on other sites when they screwed up the video commission's.

The first sale I get on my photo portfolio, if it is 10 cents, I will pull my photo portfolio too. It's just not worth it. Other sites gives 50%, and for me SS is not one of my 2 top earning sites.

7 minutes ago, RnDmS said:

No

Many of us did the math. The majority of sales is subscriptions, and majority of subscriptions sales is the bigger packs. Almost all these sales will be much lower from 38 cent, most 10 cent or near. Its a 70% cut on earning. That is the real and sad math.

You dont know the % of pack in sorry accordino to adobe sales who use this scheme i got 6 sale from big pack and 4 sales from small pack every ten sale ... if this is ratio i will have much more

money than now you forget u get 1,73 dollar for 10 pack... it must ne seen durino a month what is % of packs sub sold. Right now you dont know. So u did y make any MAry. With just 2 sale of Niger pack every ten u get more money than Gavino Fiat 0,38 cent

Hello Everybody! I just found out about this, and I don't understand anything... (I'm french, so maybe informations are not well translated?)

Shutterstock staff says that changes will be about 'how much you get paid when customers license your work'. What does it mean?! Is it what we get when we sell a pic in subscription mode? What about the other ways to sell a pic? I'm lost ha ha

Hi,

I got a email and it said

As of now you’re in Level 4, which earns 30% per license.
See the table below for more information about each level and how they are structured.

image_2.png
Image Levels

image_3.png
Total licenses for the year

135822.png
Pay rate
spacer.gif

Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

Level 4

Level 5

Level 6

<= 100

101 - 250

251 - 500

501 - 2,500

2,501 - 25,000

> 25,000

15%

20%

25%

30%

35%

40%

video_img.png Starting on June 1st, 2020, your earnings for each license will be based on your Video Level.

As of now you’re in Level 1, which earns 15% per license.
See the table below for more information about each level and how they are structured.

135826.png
Video Levels

image_3.png
Correction: Total licenses for the year

135822.png
Pay rate
spacer.gif

Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

Level 4

Level 5

Level 6

<= 10

11 - 50

51 - 250

251 - 5,000

5,001 - 25,000

> 25,000

15%

20%

25%

30%

35%

40%

I dont know why are you calculating my income on video level, because i have no videos.

Regards

Miljenko

6 minutes ago, Cottin Lucille said:

Hello Everybody! I just found out about this, and I don't understand anything... (I'm french, so maybe informations are not well translated?)

Shutterstock staff says that changes will be about 'how much you get paid when customers license your work'. What does it mean?! Is it what we get when we sell a pic in subscription mode? What about the other ways to sell a pic? I'm lost ha ha

The royalty you'll get will depends of the customer's subscription plan

1 minute ago, Oleksii Arseniuk said:

The royalty you'll get will depends of the customer's subscription plan

OK thanks you! It's sucks... I sold a lot of pics on demands (I work more in editorial mode than in creative mode). I stop to send new pictures, keep my pics of Retromobile for me haha and wait to see what's happened in June...

The deadlines for theses changes are very short. They should've talk about their project with photographers instead of this situation.

5 hours ago, KoshelevaJenya said:

Well, great! Now you not only erase angry reviews of your policy on Instagram (Twice! Oh my god, twice!),you also hired people to plus your app in AppStore and PlayMarket! How much do you pay them for this? $ 0.5? or definitely not less than 0.1 $ ?   

image.png

image.png

If you take a look at some of the names there, are they bying reviews from India?

2 hours ago, YaromirM said:

This new plan is bullshit and we all know it. It's just design to make SS more profitable to impress stockholders and boost bonuses for CEO, COO, CFO and other officers. Nothing more. Typical corporate greed. There is a little chance this plan will be abolished, however  if we can't overturned maybe we should pressure SS to make one change to it... instead of resetting every 1st of January, which is beyond ridicules, what about measure sales for last 12 months every month.? This is the only fair way. So if your sales for last 12 months are below 100 you continue to make 10C per image but if your images sale well you keep your level. You can go down, you can go up but this way people who are really great producers can still be compensated in a fair way. On top of that it may discourage garbage uploaders who right now dominate here.... Overall SS should have the same financial goal achieved or maybe outcome will be even better. Quality of the content may improve this way dramatically

No.. don't bend over for to make that change.... that is what they would want at the very least. 

Last year I was considering starting uploading again after being on hiatus for some time.
Now I'm glad I didn't.

Definitely NO new pictures by me on this site! It's not worth the effort any longer.
And if this change shows that my portfolio is earning definitely less than last year, I'm culling it.

I have juste received an email from another agency.
I think that I cannot tell which one here, but the beginning of the mail says:
"Hello ,
It's worth talking about the changes going on in the industry
Shutterstock announced in a post on its contributor forum that it’s putting a new earnings structure in place starting June 1, 2020.
Under the new structure, contributors will get compensated via a percentage of the sales price based on the ‘level’ their photo or videos are rated.

People are angry and rightfully so. Some calling this the "nail in the coffin" with their earnings being cut by 50%. See one user's comment:"
(Then follow a screenshot of a post from an user of this forum)

I think somehow some agencies are going to find a way to make it to their advantage.
Let's see…

Since shutterstock is a pubIic traded company, I wonder what could be done if thousands of shutterstock contributors got together and bought shutterstock shares. Perhaps then we could influence company policy and stop the race to the bottom. It’s impressive how people who actually produce anything just get poorer by the day and parasites who live off their creativity keep getting fatter and fatter. And still we call this a “partnership”.

6 minutes ago, paramouse said:

Should we to boycott Shutterstock apps in AppStore and Play Market? Who agree?

People are already doing that... lots of pissed off contributors are writing negative reviews. Shutterstoci is now hiring paid reviews from India or that area to write positive reviews. 

3 minutes ago, B. Melo said:

Since shutterstock is a pubIic traded company, I wonder what could be done if thousands of shutterstock contributors got together and bought shutterstock shares. Perhaps then we could influence company policy and stop the race to the bottom. It’s impressive how people who actually produce anything just get poorer by the day and parasites who live off their creativity keep getting fatter and fatter. And still we call this a “partnership”.

I have been watching SS shares since they listed... and as there are so many... how many contributors have enough combined income to buy at least 100 million dollars in value to get their ideas heard? Their shares are pretty bad... but if you bought them, then complained about this... shares price would fall... you would have then lost your money.