New earnings structure for Contributors

I in stock for 7 years. Shutterstock was my no. 1. Till today I always uploaded first to shutterstock.

Today from the first time I've submitted new content to other agencies only, and not to shutterstock.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This is just a joke. 10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips??? No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year.... To get to the curr

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

Just now, blvdone said:

So are we going to turn off our photos and videos on June 1st to see what happens?  Sales here is sinking.  So, I can afford to do that.

there are millions of contributor...as i said in this time in many countries even 500 dollar are the difference from live and die....99% won't delete nothing, even in this thread just a bunch who probably are not relying on stock to live will delete.....as i said before 1 june we don't have a clear postcard of the situation...stills for me won't be affected...only video but it was to be expected...the difference in royalty between video and still were simply to high...and most video produced are not very different from photo. video shooters who didn't expect this were dreaming....by the way you sell in istock?

3 minutes ago, Przemek Iciak said:

Well if you have authentic photos not pure stock its good place if you got aproved. I hope u know you have to go exclusive with them? So no other Agency can have your photos.

Just saying because many people aren't just on Shutterstock.

exclusive of image..but stocksy is pretty difficult to enter and most of all it has grown a lot with many contriboutors so it must be seen how much it sell monthly

3 minutes ago, Przemek Iciak said:

Well if you have authentic photos not pure stock its good place if you got aproved. I hope u know you have to go exclusive with them? So no other Agency can have your photos.

Just saying because many people aren't just on Shutterstock.

Only images need to be exclusive, not you as an artist. 

So whatever images you put there must be exclusive, but you can continue to submit other images to other agencies.

No, No, No Shutterstock! Or shall we call you GREEDSTOCK

1. SS do this at this time when all of us are taking a hit in the market. A lot of us weren't able to create footage freely in the last months. We weren't able to sell photo shoots or wedding shoots. This just shows that their bean counters really do not give a damn about any of us. 

2. SS Q1 earnings were up. 

3. The sales have been low in Feb/March/April, however I can see from my own sales in May, that they will go up in June as the lockdown eases around the world. Businesses will go back to work and they will need your work. So yes, I will not get sales in June from SS, however, neither will they get from me. If enough of us do this, then they will take a hit!

4. We have been underselling ourselves for way too long and we have to stand up for ourselves. If we don’t stand up for our rights now then we give them permission to do this again and again freely in the future. We artists have always done throughout history. We have to take a stand and say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

5. Remember: What you create has value and even ai cannot recreate what we as artists can create. Artists are the future and not robots. They might be able to send a drone across the sky but computers cannot recreate what we feel when we create the work. AI cannot get a feeling out of a person during a photo shoot. WE ARE THE FUTURE!

11 minutes ago, LongJon said:

there are millions of contributor...as i said in this time in many countries even 500 dollar are the difference from live and die....99% won't delete nothing, even in this thread just a bunch who probably are not relying on stock to live will delete.....as i said before 1 june we don't have a clear postcard of the situation...stills for me won't be affected...only video but it was to be expected...the difference in royalty between video and still were simply to high...and most video produced are not very different from photo. video shooters who didn't expect this were dreaming....by the way you sell in istock?

even now i earn 1.88 per newly submitted image and .25c per the oldest ever submitted, and I do not have a clue how these people are  structuring it... well.. have no idea

1 hour ago, Elmtree said:

The new pay structure does appear to introduce a very large problem for video producers.

Apart from the obvious loss of earnings the payment thesholds are very damaging for higher level video makers.

The level 5 35% threshold for stills is set at 2,501 yet the Level 5 35% threshold for video is set at 5,001 downloads. This cannot be right. In fairness the video threshold for level 5 should be set at a much lower level than for stills not at double the stills level.

higher video makers won't have this royalty forget....that's why shutterstock make premium select video makers and rise the price of their content....

contributors like 

https://www.shutterstock.com/g/gorodenkoff

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/featured/Hawaii-Aerials-Stock-Footage-142470856

https://www.shutterstock.com/g/VIA+films/video

they won't lose a dollar...that's why you don't see any of top notch contributor in this thread those who make from 20 to 50 k months...this change will hit only single independent libraries video mostly

On 5/26/2020 at 4:43 PM, Fredrik Bourdette said:

I think there was a back-up option when I signed up, but that was like 15 yeasr ago!

On 5/26/2020 at 4:50 PM, Stefan Holm said:

That is not legal in the TOS (I think it called so), but that changed, referals seem gone also, so called lifetime or what so ever, gone, gone...

Hmm, well off topic but Im boiling inside.

I know well off topic but I just googled it and was unpleasantly surprised how easy it  was to get the photos

3 hours ago, AnastasiaOsipova said:

I live in Russia. In a city of half a million people

how are normal salary there...i know many people in siberia, novosibirsk...one good friend work as designer of kitchen for a company she earns converted to dollar at right now exchange 350 dollar once before depreciation of ruble they were more than 800...that's why since the collapse of currency in ukraine and russia we will have a super flow of contributor from those country...they earn in dollar and 500 dollar for many of them are good enough. 

3 hours ago, Dasha D said:

Are you kidding? 

So now you are telling me to sell my work almost for free? 0.05 per illustration?! While now I'm getting 0.38! 5 years with Shutterstock, I never wrote any single negative review, because I really used to like work with you. And now what? Do you really think that I will give my designs, in fact, for nothing, while spending days to create each one. Thanks guys. But we are NOT VOLUNTEERS here, we are working.

Based on your new rules, looks I'll not earn more than $100! Do you know that only for Adobe Illustrator I pay $22?

Anyway, I'll see what I'll get. If this turns into just a waste of time, I’ll delete all my portfolio. 5 years ... Hundreds of stores, big and small brands around the world sell clothes, accessories, stationery, children's books with my illustrations that bought on Shutterstock. Such a disappointment

minimum is 10 cent and if subs are sold in small pack you earn much more than 0,38 cent....so depending on pack in some you lose with some you gain...for me it's clear nobody here as made any math or understood the fact...i'm telling we can earn more...im telling at the moment nobody can predict earning...and i read many don't have understood nothing. if the 

On 5/26/2020 at 7:28 PM, ArtDesign Illustration said:

Hello, this is what i have to say about the new "update about the new earnings structure".
This is blackmail in its purest form! absolutely disrespectful!
This decision will horribly affect the talented independent artists who were creating  content in the site for many years.
Shutterstock is already selling our professional work for an hilariously small price!
Artists who dedicated their lives for their work in Shutterstock for years should be rewarded, and not getting punched in the face by taking away all of their progress they worked hard for years. 
The solution "in my opinion" is not resetting the levels in January 1st, but keep their well deserved level's how they are now!
Otherwise, your new decision is a direct lack of respect towards, us the artists!
This is inhumane! We are creative people and this decision will destroy the desire for creating our professional work for Shutterstock and to continue further cooperation!
Please pass my request to your management! I really hope that Shutterstock will make the right decision that will help further cooperation, and protect our creative interests together with our livelihoods!

4 minutes ago, LongJon said:

minimum is 10 cent and if subs are sold in small pack you earn much more than 0,38 cent....so depending on pack in some you lose with some you gain...for me it's clear nobody here as made any math or understood the fact...i'm telling we can earn more...im telling at the moment nobody can predict earning...and i read many don't have understood nothing. if the 

No

Many of us did the math. The majority of sales is subscriptions, and majority of subscriptions sales is the bigger packs. Almost all these sales will be much lower from 38 cent, most 10 cent or near. Its a 70% cut on earning. That is the real and sad math.

1 hour ago, MyStockVideo said:

I'm very dissapointed to this new payout model. For almost 10 years I worked hard to make a living out of stock. Recently I passed the 10.000 video shots.
I'm a very shy person so stock is very important for me. It's hard for me to get video jobs, since I'm not a sales person but a creative artist. With this model my income will decrease very hard. And it will be around summer time every year when my level reach 25 procent which is even lower than the 30% now. 

Why are you doing this? Please concern getting back to the payout model as it was. I understand that every organisation has to grow in numbers. But now only Shutterstock is growing en thousands of hard working user generated content makers will not. 

Maybe I see it all wrong. I hope so. 

No video will be loser... they make all of this mostly to cut video royalty.