Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

18 minutes ago, Photoroyalty said:

The worst part about this scam is that no one from shutterstock is even willing to talk to us and provide any answers, @Kate Shutterstock didnt show her face for days, deleting comets, blocking people on social media. its like they are in a war with us, are they insane? we are the reason why you make money  ...

Talk to us lets see how can this work for all of us

I guess they have no any update from the SS managers so there is nothing new them to say

40 minutes ago, Zhitkov Boris said:

Check your Spam folder.
Or may be you're 10 level guy.

Nope there are only messages from my friend the Prince of Zamunda offering me another million I don't need because of my success at Shutter.

29 minutes ago, Photoroyalty said:

The worst part about this scam is that no one from shutterstock is even willing to talk to us and provide any answers, @Kate Shutterstock didnt show her face for days, deleting comets, blocking people on social media. its like they are in a war with us, are they insane? we are the reason why you make money  ...

Talk to us lets see how can this work for all of us

They consider us garbage, biomass, you still do not understand?

19 minutes ago, Maxal Tamor said:

I am not sure that if they are still available on search they are still available on sale.
What do you think?

I can't check that. All I can do - to push the button "Download" next to my image. Then system asks "Confirm downolad?" I didn't go further because didn't want to use my credits in buyers account. But if they still sell my dissabled images, I do not receive money for them because I have no sales since yesterday... :(

On 5/27/2020 at 12:48 PM, Ingus Kruklitis said:

Your portfolio is sick!! I love it. It's definitely worth much much more then SS pays you. 

Thanks, ...but they don't care toloos my portfolio. That is what they ansered on my complaint and announcement to pull off my portfolio ...

hI Peter,

We hear your concern with the new earnings structure changes. We value your contributions to Shutterstock and understand this is not an easy decision to make.

The decision to make these changes was not made lightly and was done with much consideration for all of our contributors. Shutterstock aims to fairly compensate our contributors for the time and talent invested in the production of their work. Given the market has changed significantly since Shutterstock was founded in 2003, we have made changes to better reflect the current market.

The adjustments are being made to align with changes we have been seeing in the global market for creative content. They also help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential.

As the global need for content increases, the volume of content being produced also continues to grow. The increase in supply of content available on the market has resulted in lower prices and free content on some platforms. With this pricing pressure, Shutterstock must also be competitive while continuing to support the production of high-quality content and driving high licensing volumes world-wide.

While we have historically paid contributors based on a percentage of the license value along with a fixed-rate for some plans, paying at fixed-rates is no longer aligned with how customers engage with those products. Also, the previous earnings structure was based on inequitable factors, such as lifetime earnings.

Starting on June 1st, 2020, we are moving to a percentage based earnings model for all licensing plans. The amount contributors earn from each download is a percentage of the price paid by the customer for that license.

Shutterstock aims to provide customers with competitive plans and pricing, while fairly compensating our contributors for the time and talent invested in the production of their work.

The new compensation model allows contributors to receive a true percentage share from each download, rewarding content creators for producing quality work that is fresh, relevant and currently in demand by our customers.

Your account will always be available to reactivate should you decide to rejoin our contributor community! Rather than closing your account, you can simply turn off licensing in your account settings. Please let us know if you would prefer this option and we will not disable your account at this time. We are certainly sad to see you go.

If you have any further queries or concerns, feel free to contact us anytime.

Shutterstock team cares for you. Stay healthy, Stay safe!  

Thanks & Regards,
Sangeeta
Shutterstock Contributor Care Team

Making this change at a time when artists are weakened due to the pandemic is cruel. For they will not be able to oppose. Your company's greed is frightening.

I have been a collaborator for only 3 years, and had only 4 image banks as a source of income, you being the main one, but your illogical decision forced me today to register in other FREE image banks, and if in six months they prove to be relevant , in January I will delete my account with you.

13 minutes ago, underwatercam.tv said:

Thanks, ...but they don't care toloos my portfolio.

[…]

Maybe, but when 100 other with a portfolio like your will have disabled their portfolios maybe they will begin to care…

I read the alert and was horrified! I read the reviews of photographers, and many write that they will delete all their work. Imagine Schutterstock managers, what will happen if many good photographers leave and only beginners remain? In my opinion, this is an occasion to think to the Shutterstock managers what they have done. We’d better think about the quality of photos taken by moderators. When they take any unprofessional photo. For almost 7 years I tried to reach this level. And I live only at the expense of microstock. It's a shame when you get 36% you drop to 15% at the beginning of the year. very disappointing.

я прочитал оповещение и ужаснулся! Читаю отзывы фотографов, и многие пишут что они удалят все свои работы. Представляете менеджеры Шуттерсток,что будет если многие хорошие фотографы уйдут и остануться только новички? Помоему, это повод задуматься менеджерам Шуттерсток что они натворили. Лучше подумали бы о качестве принимаемых модераторами фотографий.  Когда они всякое непрофессиональное фото принимают. Я почти 7 лет старался пока дошёл до этого уровня. И я живу только засчёт микростоков. Очень обидно когда ты получаешь 36% тебя опускают до 15% в начале года. очень обидно.

20 minutes ago, underwatercam.tv said:

Thanks, ...but they don't care toloos my portfolio. That is what they ansered on my complaint and announcement to pull off my portfolio ...

Quite rational answer.. well it would be so but It won't till rating will be reseted every single year.
You know, its really offensive that videographers are the ones who will be really thrown out of the rails with this new plan.

This new plan is bullshit and we all know it. It's just design to make SS more profitable to impress stockholders and boost bonuses for CEO, COO, CFO and other officers. Nothing more. Typical corporate greed. There is a little chance this plan will be abolished, however  if we can't overturned maybe we should pressure SS to make one change to it... instead of resetting every 1st of January, which is beyond ridicules, what about measure sales for last 12 months every month.? This is the only fair way. So if your sales for last 12 months are below 100 you continue to make 10C per image but if your images sale well you keep your level. You can go down, you can go up but this way people who are really great producers can still be compensated in a fair way. On top of that it may discourage garbage uploaders who right now dominate here.... Overall SS should have the same financial goal achieved or maybe outcome will be even better. Quality of the content may improve this way dramatically

The new pay structure does appear to introduce a very large problem for video producers.

Apart from the obvious loss of earnings the payment thesholds are very damaging for higher level video makers.

The level 5 35% threshold for stills is set at 2,501 yet the Level 5 35% threshold for video is set at 5,001 downloads. This cannot be right. In fairness the video threshold for level 5 should be set at a much lower level than for stills not at double the stills level.

7 minutes ago, YaromirM said:

This new plan is bullshit and we all know it. It's just design to make SS more profitable to impress stockholders and boost bonuses for CEO, COO, CFO and other officers. Nothing more. Typical corporate greed. There is a little chance this plan will be abolished, however  if we can't overturned maybe we should pressure SS to make one change to it... instead of resetting every 1st of January, which is beyond ridicules, what about measure sales for last 12 months every month.? This is the only fair way. So if your sales for last 12 months are below 100 you continue to make 10C per image but if your images sale well you keep your level. You can go down, you can go up but this way people who are really great producers can still be compensated in a fair way. On top of that it may discourage garbage uploaders who right now dominate here.... Overall SS should have the same financial goal achieved or maybe outcome will be even better. Quality of the content may improve this way dramatically

I seriously doubt they care about quality. Just look at all the garbage they accepted in the last couple of years.

1 minute ago, zsooofija said:

I seriously doubt they care about quality. Just look at all the garbage they accepted in the last couple of years.

+1 on this one. Do you guys remember how hard was it to be accepted back in 2010? You had to have 7 out of 10 images accepted to be a contributor, now you only need ONE; and don't make me start with the rejections...nowadays I've even seen out of focus, blurred, low quality images being accepted. Quality > Quantity dear Shutterstock.

17 minutes ago, underwatercam.tv said:

[...] we have made changes to better reflect the current market.

The adjustments are being made to align with changes we have been seeing in the global market for creative content. They also help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential. [...]

I have a rather unimpressive portfolio myself, but the answer was more or less the same, copy&paste the same BS.

They key here is that they're trying to convince us that it's better to earn less than before but have the potential to earn more than before. It's plain stupid and it pisses me off the fact that they treat me as stupid. 

The scheme is totally unfair. If you make good sales, say 1000 a month, you get to tier 4 after the first month, there may be no difference for you, you're in the 30% really fast. I assume from what I usually read here that there is a little amount of contributors that make it to tier 5 nowadays and expect a 5% increase over the previous scheme, and even less than will ever get to tier 6, and I seriously doubt many will get there very fast (how many people sell by the thousands/month these days?). But say you're starting and sell about 100 images a month or less, your little earning gets reduced, it will take you several months to get top where you are, that "greater earnings potential" means nothing to you, since when you get to the 30% you used to gain you're demoted and start over again. I repeat: the Greeks gods had a curse placed to Sisyphus that was just like this, once he made it with the stone to the top of the mountain, he was sent back and had to start over again. What for the Greek gods was a curse SS tries to convince us that it's an encouragement to work harder. So we, the little ones, are the obvious losers, but if you're big you also lose, because if you get 25000 downloads a year, it gets reset to 0 at the start of the new year and you have to work your way up. So they will keep some of the money you are getting now for one or two months. I wonder what's better about that scheme.

Basically, if you have a good portfolio and your sales are average you may be OK, you'll be in the 30% tier soon and perhaps earn a little more by the end of the year before being thrown down again. But, correct me if I'm wrong, if you're in either extreme of the chain, you're most likely screwed. Now that's rewarding performance!

4 hours ago, Olena Zaskochenko said:

Shutterstock will sink down. We can not do anything with that. They will pay less, and they will got less quality content, and customers will not be able to find what they want in tons of trash, urrelevant cheap content. All we can do, just straight our foots at another path.

Dreamer. I stock hot all content and pay one cent. 

15 minutes ago, YaromirM said:

Don't think they will do that, although even if they do it, sales have dramatically reduced these past years. It's like you hear the hammer, slowly nailing the coffin.

30 minutes ago, Bruno Ismael Silva Alves said:

Stocksy is my next move, 

https://www.stocksy.com

😔 after 15 years, bye bye Shutterstock 

Captura de ecrã 2020-05-28, às 12.35.36.png

What's better in Stocksy? Can't find that much info on the site.

1 hour ago, JSparrow said:

They treat their contributors with such a respect that for two days the Shutterstock representative is afraid to appear in this thread and answer questions... 🤐😒

They probably don’t care as they assume nobody can hear us here. Fortunately this forum is open for public and everybody can read it. What about to share it on our social media so also Shutterstock shareholders can appreciate this wonderful Shutterstock’s corporate communication?

I'm very dissapointed to this new payout model. For almost 10 years I worked hard to make a living out of stock. Recently I passed the 10.000 video shots.
I'm a very shy person so stock is very important for me. It's hard for me to get video jobs, since I'm not a sales person but a creative artist. With this model my income will decrease very hard. And it will be around summer time every year when my level reach 25 procent which is even lower than the 30% now. 

Why are you doing this? Please concern getting back to the payout model as it was. I understand that every organisation has to grow in numbers. But now only Shutterstock is growing en thousands of hard working user generated content makers will not. 

Maybe I see it all wrong. I hope so. 

[SS BOYCOTT] Fill out this form to determine our collective goals and leverage

The form is here: https://forms.gle/YqpTCREUodA4iTz98

It's completely anonymous and even I can't see any of your details.

Like the subject of this thread and the description of the form say - this is to determine what our collective demands are and to see how much bargaining power we have.

Please share it so that people who don't frequent this forum can fill it out as soon as possible. We need to act quickly.

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Patricio_Murphy said:

What's better in Stocksy? Can't find that much info on the site.

they require exclusivity right? so no-go for me