New earnings structure for Contributors

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This is just a joke. 10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips??? No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year.... To get to the curr

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

I completely agree with Jasmin))!!

I humbly suggest the CEO and the entire management team take their own medicine and every January first have their salaries reset to an absolute minimum monthly value. 

Then, as the revenue starts to grow over time, their salaries can slowly claw themselves back into the regular contract pay value.

And of course just a few months later, they happily start again at the bottom with every new year.

How „motivating and fair“ will this compensation system be for themselves and any employees??

The reset to zero value for all portfolios at New Year is exactly this...completely hypocritical and destructive and in the times of corona just cruel.

For many artists the regular income from SS is an essential part of their income, that pays the running costs for studio rent, software and all production.

Our rent, our insurance costs etc do not vanish in January. They are the same as they are in December.

I hope the new CEO does not make the mistake many new people make, believing that 1.2 million contributors makes individual contributors insignificant.

„Crowd sourced“ does not mean equal production value evenly distributed across the entire community. We are not upload robots.

It means an open plattforms where individuals can easily rise to the top.

And all contributors are deeply networked and will not simply accept to have their income crashed every January for accounting tricks of new management.

Maybe read up on what happened with Hyperstock and DPC from Fotolia.

The Upload streams of relevant content are pretty frickle, SS is not alone in this world.

So I hope they understand that contributors are equal and essential business partners in a crazy world and not upload bots with no soul or a calculator..

Are you kidding? 

So now you are telling me to sell my work almost for free? 0.05 per illustration?! While now I'm getting 0.38! 5 years with Shutterstock, I never wrote any single negative review, because I really used to like work with you. And now what? Do you really think that I will give my designs, in fact, for nothing, while spending days to create each one. Thanks guys. But we are NOT VOLUNTEERS here, we are working.

Based on your new rules, looks I'll not earn more than $100! Do you know that only for Adobe Illustrator I pay $22?

Anyway, I'll see what I'll get. If this turns into just a waste of time, I’ll delete all my portfolio. 5 years ... Hundreds of stores, big and small brands around the world sell clothes, accessories, stationery, children's books with my illustrations that bought on Shutterstock. Such a disappointment

30 minutes ago, Saurav022 said:

India is no longer that cheap, prices are increasing everyday. I do not any genuine Indian contributor will be satisfied with lower royalties as it will not be cost-effective anymore.

One thing that many people do not take into consideration when they talk about "cheap countries" is that while life in general is cheaper there, people also earn much less.
Also, one should not forget that everything that is equipment (camera, lenses, accessories, computers, HDD, etc.) costs just as much, if not more than in most Western countries.
How many Americans would be willing to invest between $7000 and $10000 if the average monthly salary in their country was less than $250?
It is therefore much more difficult for an Indian, a Ukrainian, a Russian or a Mongolian (among others) to start such a business.

55 minutes ago, KoshelevaJenya said:

Well, great! Now you not only erase angry reviews of your policy on Instagram (Twice! Oh my god, twice!),you also hired people to plus your app in AppStore and PlayMarket! How much do you pay them for this? $ 0.5? or definitely not less than 0.1 $ ?   

image.png

image.png

Very homogeneous...

13 minutes ago, JSparrow said:

They treat their contributors with such a respect that for two days the Shutterstock representative is afraid to appear in this thread and answer questions... 🤐😒

They are not Shutterstock representatives, they are Shutterstock Forum administrators.
They are just messengers.
Don't shoot the messengers!

10 hours ago, Sadie P Photography said:

Мне кажется, это способ избавиться от всех мелких участников, особенно от тех, кто загружает некачественную работу, спамит на сайте или использует нерелевантные ключевые слова.

No. This is a great way to get rid of those who do quality work. A wedding cake can't cost as much as one pancake. Those who put a lot of work and love into their business will not suffer the humiliation that will begin on January 1. Have Shutterstock still have a chance to change your mind.

1 hour ago, Saurav022 said:

India is no longer that cheap, prices are increasing everyday. I do not any genuine Indian contributor will be satisfied with lower royalties as it will not be cost-effective anymore.

and while cost of living is still "much" lower, quality equipement as a drone, camera, lenses, computer might be even more expensive than in the US. If you travel or buy a car, the price is the same. So yeap, living a "local" life is much cheaper, but a similar middle class life is not that different with the west. I speak more about South East Asia than India but it is somewhat similar.

2 hours ago, oleskalashnik said:

Позвольте Shutterstock сначала проявить себя и обеспечить честное одобрение файла. Нет больше странных или глупых отклонений, когда четкое фото называется «не в фокусе», а оригинальное векторное изображение называется «слишком похожим». И перестаньте утверждать настоящий мусор! 

Даже качественный и релевантный контент просто теряется в огромной базе данных, в которой полно плохих изображений из-за отмены экзамена и стандартов качества.

still require "source image" when you load a frankly decorative, cartoon image. I was rejected for missing the source file. It just doesn't EXIST)))

image.thumb.png.dd5e461838050cd4cd52aadef7242389.png

11 hours ago, eskystudio said:

For those who can't afford to turn off their potfolios completely. How about going on a 2-3 day strike every month by ddisabling protfolios for a short period of time. If we do it collectively it won't cost us a lot. But it will be a sensible loss to Shutterstock. That's nother way fight back, I agree with Steve Tritton in the post above - only collectively we can have an influence.

That is assuming there is a way to turn off portolios for 2-3 days each month.

I've deactivated all images in my portfolio, but the proccess of dissapearing them from search engines and from catalog manager is slow and gradual. The deactivation was made yesterday morning, but today I still have available about 900 images of 6000. And some of the pictures, which I do not see anymore in my SS portfolio, still available on search... This is long process and short 2-3 days actions can't be effective. 

1 hour ago, oleskalashnik said:

Perhaps the  'Reset' of levels is a fake part of the plan, which is aimed at ensuring that the authors agree with other changes. Shutterstock can take a step back and remove this promised reset, and we will feel like winners. Although this will be the result of ordinary manipulation, as in politics.

that's what i had on my mind since very first moment.

This pandemic has brought to light the two sides of humanity: those that step up to the challenge of helping others and making sacrifices out of compassion and decency and those who use this as an opportunity to oppress, harm, and take advantage of others to make themselves wealthier and more powerful. Those at Shutterstock who chose to drastically reduce the income of contributors and call it "fair" fall into the latter category. You will be remembered as those who caused suffering when you could have brought relief. 

40 minutes ago, ArtEvent ET said:

I assure you - they will soon report that they will turn off the zeroing from January 1. Counting on everyone to calm down and forget about the price of 10 cents. It will be so!

Nope, this won't happen. The decision is already made. There is a bit of a chance that they will postpone it to "correct some numbers" or even less of a chance - they will implement floating rating

17 minutes ago, Birute Vijeikiene said:

I've deactivated all images in my portfolio, but the proccess of dissapearing them from search engines and from catalog manager is slow and gradual. The deactivation was made yesterday morning, but today I still have available about 900 images of 6000. And some of the pictures, which I do not see anymore in my SS portfolio, still available on search... This is long process and short 2-3 days actions can't be effective. 

I am not sure that if they are still available on search they are still available on sale.
What do you think?

18 minutes ago, Photoroyalty said:

The worst part about this scam is that no one from shutterstock is even willing to talk to us and provide any answers, @Kate Shutterstock didnt show her face for days, deleting comets, blocking people on social media. its like they are in a war with us, are they insane? we are the reason why you make money  ...

Talk to us lets see how can this work for all of us

I guess they have no any update from the SS managers so there is nothing new them to say