New earnings structure for Contributors

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This is just a joke. 10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips??? No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year.... To get to the curr

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, oleskalashnik said:

And stop to approve the real trash! 

Even high-quality and relevant content is simply lost in a huge database, which got full of bad images because of cancellation of the exam and quality standards.

Agree. I think, this is real problem and this needs to be changed immediately. This is ridiculous - biggest image database looks like a garbage can. How customer can find the picture he needs in tons of trash?

43 minutes ago, Amlan Mathur said:

PLEASE DO THIS NOW

One quick thing, give SS and SS contributor app a 1 star review, lets send their rating to hell.

Do leave a review mentioning

On May 26th Shutterstock suddenly gave its contributors a 6 day notice that they would cut their earning by 60%. They sent an unclear, haphazard communication (with one correction mail hours later) on how they would screw over the very people who make the content you love.

Buyers : Please take your business to Adobestock, their fair payouts mean you'll always have beautiful up to date images

Contributors : Disable your portfolio on 1st Jun and send a mail to Adobe telling that you've done so. Ensure you spread the word. 

I just wrote my review at Google play store for the "Shutterstock contributor" app with rating 1.. 

The new reward system is  like getting youngster to work with minimal salary - he/she can try to grow, show professional growing, get some salary rise,
but next year, 1 st January - starting career again with an entry salary.. 

Forever young 😞

On 5/26/2020 at 8:30 PM, Kate Shutterstock said:

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. 

Hello,

I guess Shutterstock is not going to cancel implementation of the new earnings structure anyway. But please reconsider your decision to reset contributor level every 1 January. Make it rolling average for last 12 months. Resetting the level is not fair to contributors.

Regards.

5 minutes ago, Artem Shevchenko said:

Agree. I think, this is real problem and this needs to be changed immediately. This is ridiculous - biggest image database looks like a garbage can. How customer can find the picture he needs in tons of trash?

And there will be more trash. If autors get less money, they will put less time for creating content.

29 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

Agree!

32 minutes ago, DIRK VAN DER VEN MEDIA said:

I don't understand why everyone is recommending Adobe. Don't get me wrong. I love Adobe. But you can't set your own prices. they still pay less than the 40% non exclusive at Pond5 and nothing beats the exclusive programme at Pond5. Why does no one recommend Pond5??? And Pond5 and Adobe work together!!! Sell through Pond5 at Adobe and you earn more than selling directly at Adobe... HELLO. Oooh and for buyers they have the best indemnification. You can sell any type of video ar image (including vectors). And Shutterstock was a good income for me, but it really does not beat pond5. Adobe is nice a third, but dwarfs next to pond5. All the others pocket money. I know my path. If only one agency survives, so be it.

for videos I agree with you, but for image sales Adobe is far ahead of Pond 5 from my personal experience

I humbly suggest the CEO and the entire management team take their own medicine and every January first have their salaries reset to an absolute minimum monthly value. 

Then, as the revenue starts to grow over time, their salaries can slowly claw themselves back into the regular contract pay value.

And of course just a few months later, they happily start again at the bottom with every new year.

How „motivating and fair“ will this compensation system be for themselves and any employees??

The reset to zero value for all portfolios at New Year is exactly this...completely hypocritical and destructive and in the times of corona just cruel.

For many artists the regular income from SS is an essential part of their income, that pays the running costs for studio rent, software and all production.

Our rent, our insurance costs etc do not vanish in January. They are the same as they are in December.

I hope the new CEO does not make the mistake many new people make, believing that 1.2 million contributors makes individual contributors insignificant.

„Crowd sourced“ does not mean equal production value evenly distributed across the entire community. We are not upload robots.

It means an open plattforms where individuals can easily rise to the top.

And all contributors are deeply networked and will not simply accept to have their income crashed every January for accounting tricks of new management.

Maybe read up on what happened with Hyperstock and DPC from Fotolia.

The Upload streams of relevant content are pretty frickle, SS is not alone in this world.

So I hope they understand that contributors are equal and essential business partners in a crazy world and not upload bots with no soul or a calculator.

@Kate Shutterstock here is an article about the new license model on “ct Fotografie”, a part of the heise news network. One of the biggest German tech newspages. Let me briefly outline the content: it’s not positive!

https://www.heise.de/news/Shutterstock-veraergert-Fotografen-mit-neuem-Bezahlmodell-4766659.html

This article also appears in the stock newsfeed on “finanzen.net”, one of the biggest German stock exchange pages when you view the Shutterstock stock page:

https://www.finanzen.net/aktien/shutterstock-aktie

6 minutes ago, Jasmin Awad said:

The reset to zero value for all portfolios at New Year is exactly this...completely hypocritical and destructive and in the times of corona just cruel.
For many artists the regular income from SS is an essential part of their income, that pays the running costs for studio rent, software and all production.
Our rent, our insurance costs etc do not vanish in January. They are the same as they are in December.

Perhaps the  'Reset' of levels is a fake part of the plan, which is aimed at ensuring that the authors agree with other changes. Shutterstock can take a step back and remove this promised reset, and we will feel like winners. Although this will be the result of ordinary manipulation, as in politics.

27 minutes ago, Abir Bhattacharya said:

for videos I agree with you, but for image sales Adobe is far ahead of Pond 5 from my personal experience

I understand. Pond5 didn't start with images, but I believe they will grow. So there is an opportunity there. Personally I buy all my images at Pond5, because it's just so very, very easy. And I don't mind paying 15-25 bucks for an image. (I've seen awesome images for 150 bucks) but that I will only buy if a client really, really wants it. But for now then don't go Exclusive (still earn 40%) and stay at Adobe aswell. Or create an exclusive portfolio at Pond5 and a non- exclusive. + Adobe. Gives you at least 3 possible streams of income.

9 minutes ago, oleskalashnik said:

Perhaps the  'Reset' of levels is a fake part of the plan, which is aimed at ensuring that the authors agree with other changes. Shutterstock can take a step back and remove this promised reset, and we will feel like winners. Although this will be the result of ordinary manipulation, as in politics.

Yep, told the same thing pages ago. I'd do the same but I've strange scraping feeling, that it will not happen. Hope I'm wrong

3 minutes ago, KoshelevaJenya said:

Well, great! Now you not only erase angry reviews of your policy on Instagram (Twice! Oh my god, twice!),you also hired people to plus your app in AppStore and PlayMarket! How much do you pay them for this? $ 0.5? or definitely not less than 0.1 $ ?   

image.png

image.png

Well, nothing holding contributors to hire same botfarm for doing the opposite

2 hours ago, eskystudio said:

The companies don't, but the press does. And bad press puts pressure on companies. See the petapixel link above.

If you feel that being a pessimist helps anything, this for sure doesn't :)

I am not pessimist, I am just realist.
btw, I signed the petition, and shared it, because "who knows?" ;)

What really affects companies like Shutterstock and the kind of managers they have (those who govern their business with the help of Excel spreadsheets), is when you touch their wallet, and therefore that of their shareholders!
So only a concrete and simultaneous action from the largest number of contributors will have a real effect.

June 1st, let's be ready!

DPreview also talks about this damned affair
https://www.dpreview.com/news/7607355790/shutterstock-announces-new-earnings-structure-contributors-are-anything-but-happy

10 minutes ago, DIRK VAN DER VEN MEDIA said:

Has anyone taken a look at the best portfolio on Shutterstock:

https://www.shutterstock.com/nl/g/Kate+Shutterstock/about

Now I know why some of my footage is rejected here (accepted elsewhere and selling) but rejected here. I just can't reach this level of professionalism.

You sooo darn wrong with this joke, man

1 hour ago, oleskalashnik said:

When I say "cheap authors from India", I do not mean bad performers, but people who are satisfied with lower wages compared to American authors, for example.

India is no longer that cheap, prices are increasing everyday. I do not any genuine Indian contributor will be satisfied with lower royalties as it will not be cost-effective anymore.

12 minutes ago, KoshelevaJenya said:

Well, great! Now you not only erase angry reviews of your policy on Instagram (Twice! Oh my god, twice!),you also hired people to plus your app in AppStore and PlayMarket! How much do you pay them for this? $ 0.5? or definitely not less than 0.1 $ ?   

image.png

image.png

IMPORTANT:

Report the app to Google/Apple for fake 5 star ratings in the last days - descripe the situation. 

31 minutes ago, oleskalashnik said:

When somebody lost your trust, it will never back.