Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

2 minutes ago, Polozov arts said:

@kateshutterstock DON'T YOU THINK IT'S ALREADY TIME TO EXPLAIN YOURSELF?

They only respond to accusations of AI reviewing images

This is just unbelievable. Authors who have been working on the SS for more than one year and invested on an ongoing basis, so break us against the wall and zero out the income that is important for promotion.
Are you destroying the best project at the moment?

Это настоящее рабство! Вы заботитесь о клиенте, что хорошо, но почему вы не цените работу авторов? Наша работа? Мы имеем право получать достойную оплату за наш труд, мы хотим сотрудничества, а не рабского труда.

This new payout structure is a slap in the face to contributors especially those longstanding members.  I will not waste my time adding content to Shutterstock!

7 minutes ago, Aaron of L.A. Photography said:

https://www.shutterstock.com/pricing 

Now count packs with 350+ images and see what you get. 0,06 in the beginning of the year when you're reset to level1? 

It seems to my poor legal mind that these new game changing rules are a manifest abuse of right. "Shutterstock" is a kind of monopoly and reducing so drastically the payment level for the contributors (hey, they are also sort of clients for modern customer-loyal companies!) is a one-sided transaction. This new world makes all of us work better. But this decision made by "Shutterstock" management is too rapid-fire and leaves no chance to adapt for. Why not do it from the 1st January, for example? In total I don't see economic reason in this reform. Kind regards.

21 minutes ago, AREA 6 said:

I believe the best way for contributors to defend the value of their work across this industry is to band together and take definitive action. There really now is no reason to stay here. Not only is your work going to be sold for peanuts (subscription program), you will get a smaller piece of each peanut.  

1. On Sunday (last day of May), disable (but don't delete) your Shutterstock portfolio. You can do that in preferences.

2. Immediately email Pond and Adobe and let them know you've done that. Ostensibly, this may help prevent Pond and Adobe (who have a partnership) follow suit. If a sufficiently large number of contributors suddenly disappear from SS, the value of SS as a source of assets will fall, and the value of Pond 5 and Adobe will increase. Sales/revenue is the ONLY thing these people understand. Let's communicate clearly to them.  

it's clear....bro....this si the right time...this move will kill this professionally...everybody will lose from 50' to 70 percent...even those giant libraries earning 20 30 k month will simply lose all moneey and close....if they keep working for ss stock and adobe they won't go anywhere...i suspect nobody will produce any content new in the future, apart amateur

21 minutes ago, AREA 6 said:

12 minutes ago, Aaron of L.A. Photography said:

If people want to leave, leave more money for others. If you actually did the calculation you will see the difference. Base on the subscription model that customers pay for. I will be making over a dollar now. I am happy with that. 

I guess you are in tier 1 or you are a very mediocre photographer, OR  you don't even have been payed yet for oyur first time.

1 minute ago, Richard Whitcombe said:

The email v forum for video.  So which is it?  They cant both be right.  Didnt nobody even bother trying to proofread this?!

580754175_Annotation2020-05-26233716.thumb.jpg.d471ce6e5eca4b9a1c3b51af82a17409.jpgearnings-for-videos-forum.png.803eddaf31ab4c904b5d8d660bc0495a.png.d4e7208b96c992642ab3aaa350e8df29.png

So you are making $4.45 per hd video. This is not that bad of an idea because instead being stuck on the same price for the entire year. If you encourage yourself to do better and more you can make more. 

Wow, that's a big change.

Not sure how I feel about this.  As a low level contributor, I kind of like the annual reset.  But I suspect 15% is a lot less than the 25 cents I'm getting now.

Time will tell if it's worth my bother uploading more.  I'm in the wait and see camp.

Question: is this change retroactive to Jan 1st this year?  That would really suck! 

First time in the forum, hi all !

In this difficult period linked to the virus where all of humanity talks about mutual aid, compassion or a more peaceful life, shutterstock strikes a blow !!!

this, if we understand this reset story every January 1st, is simply shameful.

I've done the math.

If I haven't made a serious mistake, I'm looking at a triple-digit increase.

But it is an absolute catastrophe for video providers!

Just now, Aaron of L.A. Photography said:

Yeah and I'm on level 4 as well, but come January 1, 2021 we'll ALL be at Level 1 making 15% for half of the year (5 months for me). Do the math man....count the totals from each month until you reach 500 downloads. You're going to be making way less no matter how you look at it.

18 minutes ago, Aaron of L.A. Photography said:

If people want to leave, leave more money for others. If you actually did the calculation you will see the difference. Base on the subscription model that customers pay for. I will be making over a dollar now. I am happy with that. 

How are you reaching this conclusion? If this includes subs, and there is nothing to say they are not included, your 15% earning from a 350 a month pack will be 5.25c, at 40% it's 14c. 

@Kate Shutterstock Please clarify whether this includes subs or not, because if it does, the bottom line is a completely different story and we really need to know how much this will affect our earnings. 

Disgusting SS. Truly disgusting, the reset every year is the biggest nonsense here. You know most sales happen during christmas season. So basically you just stole half of our earnings in the first half of the year. Looks like if you want to do shutterstock now it's only via blackbox. I'm not one to jump the gun usually, but this smells so bad I might consider going exclusive with Pond5. Go team P5!!!!

57 minutes ago, David Calvert said:

So I'm currently in level one. Instead of getting $0.25 per download, what am I going to get now?

We are moving to a percentage based earnings model for all licensing plans. The amount contributors earn from each download is a percentage of the price paid by the customer for that license. 

This means your commission will always be a percent of what the customer paid for their license. The flat rate commissions (like 25¢) are going away.

1 minute ago, Aaron of L.A. Photography said:

So you are making $4.45 per hd video. This is not that bad of an idea because instead being stuck on the same price for the entire year. If you encourage yourself to do better and more you can make more. 

No. You get substantially more for a HD video...and get 30%.  Thats usually something between $20 and $200 contributor.

Now everyone gets 15% and after a few months might get 20 or 25%.  

It means all except the higher tier factories will earn less money for video overall, all the time.  Quite possibly under half.

I'm going to try to actually wait to see the numbers before I lose my mind like everyone else here (almost everyone anyways).

I actually think this might incentivize people to upload more "high commercial value" images rather than snapshots and near duplicates just to bulk out their portfolio (yes, I ahve garbage in my port too). But, what do I know?

I sort of feel sorry for video contributors. Personally, I never had very many footage sales here but I didn't have the best material either. Anyone who thought the footage gravy train was going to last forever should have been paying attention to what happened with images.

Sucks that it is a reset and not a 12 month moving average.

Still, I'm going to sit with my popcorn and wait to see how this actually works out. Even as a tiny contributor, I'm not sure the sky is actually falling.