Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

Currently deleting every video clip of good quality or that is from a shoot I valued and enjoyed and won't ever upload another clip to this company. I've had to deal with endless theft of my footage being uploaded to SS and an absolute cavalier attitude by the company to deal with that problem, the idiotic subscription program and now this insult.

The sooner this company goes out of business the better for the whole industry and all of us as contributors.

4 hours ago, Palsur said:

No se si no es peor... Por lo que entiendo, además de resetearse los porcentajes cada 1º de enero, estos estarán relacionados con el modelo de suscripción o compra de créditos que el cliente elija. Es decir, si el cliente compra una paquete de 5 imágenes por $50, nuestra comisión será sobre una descarga el 15% de $10. Pero si el cliente compra un paquete de 250 imágenes por $150, nuestra comisión será el 15% de (150/250=1,66) $1,66.

Después de 12 años como colaborador esto resulta realmente lamentable! (pensar que mirábamos al IS con malos ojos...)

Si el cliente compra una foto de un paquete de 750 fotos, esa foto vale .33 al cliente, a uno le queda 10 ctvs. Si un cliente compra un video por un paquete de subscripcion en la cual cada video vale 15, a usted le dan poco mas de $2, si es un paquete en el q cada video sale en $9 a usted le quedan poco mas de $1.

The new pay announced is out of proportion to the work I've put in here for 8 or 9 years.

How do I scare the people through which I earn my money?
Shutterstock leads the way...just like a drunk taxi driver who insult his customers...nobody wants to ride with him anymore!

Will not delete my account here, I have invested too much life here.

The illustrations are through and only a few animations in the review, after that I will not upload anything more.

For a few cents, it is a waste of time.

Too bad Shutterstock, I have always been loyal to you and you cheat on me with a smile ...

54 minutes ago, crbellette said:

This is how SS respond when we express our displeasure at the impending changes:

Hi Christopher,

We are Deeply saddened on the fact that there is a Deduction or a slight cut down in the earnings that Shutterstock used to offer earlier.

The reason of Decline in earnings has been the uncertain pandemic which has caused a huge effect on all the businesses including ours. 

The world wide conditions are worst & the moment.We believe that with the passage of time things are expected to improve and once it would happen then we would try to raise the earning opportunities with Shutterstock.

We need your support during this harsh time around 

I would recommend going through the following link  How do I get paid for my work? , and I hope it will be helpful to you.   

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to contact us anytime.

Thanks,
P****t
Shutterstock Contributor Care Team

"slight cutdown" now that is a joke, as a contributor who mainly uploads video I am facing a massive decrease in earnings due to $1.50 wix sales, sub $4 video subscription packages and now 15% royalties. It would appear they wish to eliminate video submissions. And then the CEO goes spouting how well the company is doing during covid. So which is it?

That is not true! Last month I had my best month ever and this month is pretty good. I have not seen any slow down.

On 5/26/2020 at 10:08 AM, Aaron of L.A. Photography said:

I am fine with this, I get over 100 photos sold in the first month anyways. I am at level 4 right now. I just need to know how much I will be getting. Is 15% .25 still?? That is what should be figured out @Kate Shutterstock.

Videos are selling for 9 or 15 bucks each wich means that you will get $1 or little more than $2 per video sale. Photos mean that if a client buys a photo through a subs model of 750 photos a month each photo goes for .33 cts so you get 15% of that which since it cant be lower than 10 cts means you get 10 cts per photo.

4 minutes ago, Michael Warwick said:

That is not true! Last month I had my best month ever and this month is pretty good. I have not seen any slow down.

BME means very little. My PF is near 10,000 clips and sales earnings have been in steady decline since 2018

On 5/26/2020 at 10:21 AM, Mo Azizi said:

I have always been a fan of Shutterstock. I convinced my friends to join. I have made YouTube videos about Shutterstock and many many people signed up using my link and uploaded to Shutterstock.

I have put a lot, I really mean a lot of effort into Shutterstock because I liked it a lot. I didn't upload to any other agency because I simply liked Shutterstock.

When I read the email, it broke my heart. I will start uploading my work to other stock agencies now and I will tell my friends (who are professional creators) not to bother with Shutterstock anymore. I will probably make a YouTube video about it too.

Shutterstock will have short term gain but definitely long term losses. Thanks for the opportunities Shutterstock, all good things must come to an end. 

you never put your eggs in one basket, this is business this guys change and new people come along changing things. 

I earn 33c for my vectors and I do not sell a lot. Now according to the new structure, I could make 10c. It looks that SS thinking that I need to be happy that I even make 10c.

And 10c for the vectors?? I better go for a walk than to spend hours on the computer...  I just prepared my vectors to upload, but I'll take them to adobestock.

SS was my favorite, not anymore...

This are my last thoughts, what goes up, must come down. Now it´s shutterstocks turn to go down like istock, 123rf and so on. From my sales report it´s adobe stock time baby! so my advice is stop crying a river and move on. It was good while it lasted.

45 minutes ago, Cappelletti_pictures said:

Videos are selling for 9 or 15 bucks each wich means that you will get $1 or little more than $2 per video sale. Photos mean that if a client buys a photo through a subs model of 750 photos a month each photo goes for .33 cts so you get 15% of that which since it cant be lower than 10 cts means you get 10 cts per photo.

I wonder if those packs will remain. Because if they do, this will be. Turn off to many and to mostly new people. I am going to do is wait and see what the real results are. 

1 minute ago, Aaron of L.A. Photography said:

I wonder if those packs will remain. Because if they do, this will be. Turn off to many and to mostly new people. I am going to do is wait and see what the real results are. 

They just announced new video packs that´l sell video for 9 and 15 bucks each...

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 21.57.40.png

2 hours ago, crbellette said:

We need your support during this harsh time around 

Lol, I gave you enough support, when you cut down referral program and Extended license earnings. Now I need your support, because guess what? I have a harsh time around! And I bet that in my country it is way harsher that in US. Where's your diversity, social responsibility and other trends we should enlighten in our work? It is a time for you to implement it!

There is a good thing in any bad thing. There are so many jobless people now, who would possibly become contributors in the following months...if they would have a future on stocks. however with this new scheme they wont be able to get to a desired level (to be able to survive with the stocks earnings) therefore if they decide to come they will quickly go.

and we will wait till SS changes its politics. Pandemic is just an excuse for them. If they were really in trouble because of it they would apply a new scheme with a date set and asking contributors to help to go through hard times together. but this is not the case. The date is not set so why would they go back to fair payments when pandemic ends if everything works with the new low payments huh?

On 5/26/2020 at 10:29 AM, Polozov arts said:

Guys, how do you think, is it possible for us together to create our own stock where will be only us with all of our content?

It is possible, but requires lots of work in the beginning, and some capital invested. Need to pay for storage, IT, reviewers, marketing, attorneys...

This offer is a mockery of the authors! At first there was a story with EPS10, after which I stopped loading complex vectors to this site (due to the inability to do this), now the shutterstock decided to take away another part of the earnings from the authors. Are authors that make quality content become unnecessary?
The last 5 years, I see only a decrease in income. First prikratite increase revenues to authors, then they canceled the referral program, set up absurd rules for the vector and now lower payments ... It seems that more attention needs to be paid to other platforms, since this is going to the bottom. It's a pity!

p.s. Please give a link to the petition.

I was reading on another forum that long before my time, Fotolia attempted to introduce an unpalatable change for contributors and later backed down due to collective outrage. So shows it can be done. We all know where achillies heel is.

Today, for the first time in 11 years, I did not upload my photo's to Shutterstock, but only to the other stock sites I contribute to. 

"We are making this adjustment in order to reflect changes in the market for creative content, help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential."

where is the possibility for greater earning potential for video contributors? My portfolio is almost 10,000 clips and there is NO WAY I could manage 2,500 downloads in a year. And even if I did, by some miracle, have that many sales come Jan 1 I'd have to start all over again. Nice reward for all the hard work uploading files, real motivating. Greater earnings might be there for the 1% of "factory producers" with multiple employees.

17 minutes ago, crbellette said:

"We are making this adjustment in order to reflect changes in the market for creative content, help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential."

where is the possibility for greater earning potential for video contributors? My portfolio is almost 10,000 clips and there is NO WAY I could manage 2,500 downloads in a year. And even if I did, by some miracle, have that many sales come Jan 1 I'd have to start all over again. Nice reward for all the hard work uploading files, real motivating. Greater earnings might be there for the 1% of "factory producers" with multiple employees.

I 100% agree with you. I am in same sauce as you ...

Well as everyone is saying, this is a terrible change for contributors. One added perspective is the unprofessional and seemingly uncaring nature of this communication. Even though a royalty change is not surprising to some extent, consider a few points that are very surprising to me (and maybe to you): 

1. Vagueness - When you send communication about major change, you'd think that clarity and some level of transparency would be helpful. The initial email or post pretends that there are helpful details but in reality, there is so much guess work regarding what the percentage is based off of and why the change in the first place. Then someone at SS seemed to realize that in part and attempted to have a "helpful FAQ" above. Although that added some detail, it still leaves much room for guess work and "wait and see". If this change needs to be made for whatever reason, at least make it clear. The example given about 4.90 cents as the basis for a percentage is the only real example and if that is what all royalties are based off of - great! But they won't be and they hint at it with a 10 cent minimum. Why not give some additional detail? Is it because it is that bad and they know it? Unprofessional.

2. Initial Errors - If you send a change as drastic as this, how could the email be sent without someone noticing the video structure was wrong? This makes it seem as though it was done without a lot of thought and quickly. Unprofessional.

3. Timing - Five days notice? Absolutely unprofessional. Either this was given little thought, they flat out could care less about the contributors, or things are so bad that they need to make a drastic change first. If the latter, I actually could understand this change if communicated well. However, as others pointed out, Shutterstock is still turning a large profit. Unprofessional.

4. Positive? - An attempt to be positive about this is insulting. How could anyone at SS think that by saying this is rewarding contributors that people are going to agree. There is absolutely no example of a contributor who benefits from this scheme particularly with the insanely stupid reset idea on January 1st. This is unprofessional. 

To summarize, for the leading agency in getting images/videos around all over the world, marketing and communicating well to get high sales to many people, it is astounding how absolutely terrible this communication is to its contributors (who allow the company to function!) and how even the attempts to clarify are still terrible. This doesn't even address the how awful the actual change appears to be, but that is well represented in the comments already. 

35 minutes ago, Matauw said:

Today, for the first time in 11 years, I did not upload my photo's to Shutterstock, but only to the other stock sites I contribute to. 

Same here, I have completely stoppet uploading anything new content to SS as from they announced the new comission structure. I only upload new content to other fair sites. From may 31 i wil opt out and pull my video portfolio from Shutterstock, they are worth more than the tiny peanuts they now offer.