New earnings structure for Contributors

On 26/5/2020 at 12:55, Richard Whitcombe said:

Se restablece al nivel 1 cada enero, así que baje del 30,35% o lo que sea hasta el 15%. Luego, tienes que subir en los próximos meses al nivel que estabas antes.
Lo que significa el primer período del año en que la mayoría de las personas ganará * significativamente * menos.

Peor aún, los videos y las imágenes están separados y no se ayudan mutuamente.

Esto va a generar una ENORME cantidad de dinero para SS ya que para el comienzo del año pagarán 50% menos comisiones.

¡Qué maravilloso, la gente puede luchar en menos mes durante meses para llegar finalmente al árbol de ganancias en el que estaban antes que Bang! El 1 de enero llega y se arrancan de la escalera al 15% para comenzar a volver a subir.

Si alguien dudaba del desprecio total y absoluto que SS tiene ahora por sus contribuyentes, esto tiene que eliminar toda duda. Se han ido por completo a iStock, ganando alegremente la carrera hasta el fondo.

y las personas reciben un aviso de 5 DÍAS de un recorte salarial. En un momento en que las ventas están en su punto más bajo de todos modos. Excelente.

Al menos ni siquiera intentaron iniciar el correo electrónico con "¡Noticias emocionantes!" esta vez.

No se si no es peor... Por lo que entiendo, además de resetearse los porcentajes cada 1º de enero, estos estarán relacionados con el modelo de suscripción o compra de créditos que el cliente elija. Es decir, si el cliente compra una paquete de 5 imágenes por $50, nuestra comisión será sobre una descarga el 15% de $10. Pero si el cliente compra un paquete de 250 imágenes por $150, nuestra comisión será el 15% de (150/250=1,66) $1,66.

Después de 12 años como colaborador esto resulta realmente lamentable! (pensar que mirábamos al IS con malos ojos...)

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This is just a joke. 10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips??? No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year.... To get to the curr

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

after studying and analysing i have the impression that 

- still will not much affected....some will earn some not...

- video is the big big loser...betwenn subscritption and video royalty they will take away probably 95 percent of royalty before given to hd file, from 27 dollar they will end up mostly with 1,3 1,6 dollar till 4 dollar.....i expected this cause video was too pricey compared to still s and video producer errand a lot more than still....and most of all still were already sold for peanuts , video not.

so if you are mostly a still producer you should keep your folio and see what happen next 3 months, for me you want see a bigger collapse, clearly if sale collapse like in may you will see it but mostly due to low demand....if you are a video producer good luck...

1 hour ago, blvdone said:

More than 99% of video contributors won't make it to level 5.  Therefore, we'll just lose like $500 per year from video sales on our way to get to Level 4.

If we are lucky. With cart sales, from January, we'll earn 12$ for hd and 27$ for 4k at 15%, 16$ and 36$ at 20% and 20$ and 45$ at 25%, then finally after 250 sales we'll earn as much as we did, 24$ and 54$. That added up is a really huge loss of income, we'll loose about 1,500 with mixed hd and 4k sales to get back to 30% commission.    

3 minutes ago, Ivan Veselinovic said:

If we are lucky. With cart sales, from January, we'll earn 12$ for hd and 27$ for 4k at 15%, 16$ and 36$ at 20% and 20$ and 45$ at 25%, then finally after 250 sales we'll earn as much as we did, 24$ and 54$. That added up is a really huge loss of income, we'll loose about 1,500 with mixed hd and 4k sales to get back to 30% commission.    

Right, it's going to be very bad for video income. I will even restart to upload at Getty (not istock) where I get insulting fee of a few cents, but still get a few 50-150 usd licences per month

Shutterstock will be taking 85% from everyone starting Jan. 01... every year. I'm offended.

Unless Shutterstock can show they will be using that incredible amount of new funds taken from contributors to provide a service to the contributor that proves higher sales, I'd say this is, if not, as close to criminal you can get.

No jokes here, this is our livelihood and it has been for me for over 10 years. Prove you're working for me, for the contributors, show similar to better results. If not, Shutterstock is setting a horrible example to the stock video world and I, along with all of your contributors who helped build this company with our work, will take this personally. The ball is in your court. Don't let us down.

45 minutes ago, Phil Lowe said:

I'm already making $2.70 for an SOD/ODD.  Starting June 1, that will go down to $1.23, a 54% pay cut.  Unless SS has a way to boost my monthly downloads by 54% to compensate, I see nothing but losses going forward.  Not going to give my work away so that SS can earn more while I earn less.  Not going to happen.

Shutterstock needs contributors more than contributors need Shutterstock.

I see that I missed something important... Those who have contributed more to SS (like you) will get more of a pay cut. Makes complete sense, right? 🙄

4 hours ago, Doug Jensen said:

Dies wird bis zum 1. Januar 2021 keine Auswirkungen auf mich haben, sodass ich genügend Zeit habe, um zu sehen, wie sich der Staub absetzt.

Ich hoffe, dass die SS in den nächsten 6 Monaten den Fehler ihrer Wege erkennt und diesen lächerlichen Plan ganz oder teilweise umkehrt. Es ist einfach dumm, jeden zu zwingen, jedes Jahr am 1. Januar bei Ground Zero zu beginnen und sich wieder auf eine Auszahlung von 30% zu begeben. Die Auszahlungsstufe sollte auf Ihren Verkäufen im Vorjahr basieren und nicht bei Null liegen. In meinem Fall werde ich den größten Teil des Januar, Februar und März brauchen, um 251 Videoverkäufe zu erzielen. Während dieser drei Monate werde ich 50% von dem verdienen, was ich hätte verdienen sollen, aber dann werde ich den Rest des Jahres bei "normalen" Auszahlungen sein. Wenn dieser Plan in diesem Jahr umgesetzt worden wäre, hätte ich ungefähr 4000 Dollar weniger verdient. Das ist wichtig, aber kein Nagel im Sarg. Ich werde mein Konto nicht löschen, obwohl ich hoffe, dass andere das tun. Das Fazit ist, dass ich nicht denke, dass dieser Plan so bleiben wird, wie er ist. Ich werde mir also Sorgen machen, wenn wir uns dem Ende des Jahres nähern und ich kann sehen, wie es sich entwickelt hat. In der Zwischenzeit läuft das Geschäft wie gewohnt.

But you forgot something in your calculation, the new apo for videos, you will only get 3 $ or less for one 4 k video!

So, you have really sell a lot for a good income now 🤮

5 minutes ago, shufu photoexperience said:

There was a world before shutterstock and still will be after... It's just universal rule for everyone... just like earth is spinning around itself and around the sun...

If shutterstock sinks down to bottom it will emerge someone else... and that someone else will appreciate the hand that feeds him... untill becomes greedy and start to bite that same hand like here and now... And then... from beginning again... new circle

So people are getting fooled all the time, but only intermittently? :)

Problem with the internet economy is that you need to invest huge amount of money in marketing to have a tiny chance to grab some market share from the established player while technically they have very little entry barrier. Google fail everything, but still number one in search and ad income, FB is still here, Booking.com still number one as they are only an intermediary. I don't see much positive in the future

On 5/26/2020 at 10:37 PM, Kate Shutterstock said:

When a customer buys a pack or subscription, your commission is calculated based on the price per asset assuming full usage of the pack or subscription. For example, if a customer buys a 10 images per month subscription at $49 per month, the price per image is $4.90. Your earnings percentage is based on $4.90 regardless of how many images the customer downloads from their allotment. 

Hello, Kate, hello Shutterstock, are you still there?

Your capital calls you!!!

Your last statement was 31 pages ago - as far as I can see. It was a normal working day - also for you. It would be nice to finally read a few words from you again.

I have already asked for it, others too: We want a concrete, reliable, honest and transparent statement regarding our future income.

You have all done the math. You know the figures. Even if you only mention half of them in the e-mail to the contributors. We want the whole truth, and we don't want you to crawl into your shell. Finally deliver us correct overviews/tables/charts - instead of useless e-mails.

I think we all deserve that. Because without us, you don't exist.

Kind regards,

a contributor.

So I sold a photo for $29.85 today; not unusual. I have no idea what the earnings on that will be in June. I feel like I am here just at SS pleasure but they don't really need or want me.

SS use to show "followers" indicating the number of customers that had favored your portfolio. I know I have some customers who follow me when new images sell quickly. SS will lose that if I turn off my portfolio as I am not inclined to sell images for 10 cents. 

1 hour ago, Phil Lowe said:

It begins...

2020-05-27_04-11-57.thumb.jpg.8220d352ef33085419a8fe1f61db1c8c.jpg

2020-05-27_17-36-27.thumb.jpg.e182a672dd18a3cadea2c49ddd0cff36.jpg

Not for images.

Yesterday an hour after the announcment it read

Over 325.465.275 royalty-free images with 1.229.872 new stock images added weekly

Today it reads

Over 326.148.632 royalty-free images with 1.251.997 new stock images added weekly.

Screw it.  Turning off my image port now.  It will take 72 hours to vacate anyway.  Remember: you have a voice in this.  Vote with your port.  Vote "No".

2020-05-27_18-55-04.thumb.jpg.28f50d93d7d51098c8e6d7fcb6dde7a3.jpg

2 minutes ago, Gtranquillity said:

Not for images.

Yesterday an hour after the announcment it read

Over 325.465.275 royalty-free images with 1.229.872 new stock images added weekly

Today it reads

Over 326.148.632 royalty-free images with 1.251.997 new stock images added weekly.

Most people are waiting until Sunday to turn off their image ports.  Some are going to give the new system a month or two to see how it works.  But most people I've read here and on Facebook have indicated that they're done uploading here.  My guess is the second number will take a hit before the first one does, but by January 1st, there could be serious dents in both figures.  We'll have to wait and see.  

As for me, I just shut my image port down now.  No use in waiting until Sunday.  SS existed before I came along, and will probably keep going long after I'm gone.  But I'll be damned if they'll make one more penny off of my work.  I'm not going to work for sharecropper's wages.  Not going to happen.

Apologies if someone has already posted this - Petition here and already at 1,330 signatures after 12 hours

...https://www.change.org/p/shutterstock-object-to-the-decline-in-shutterstock-s-contributor-earnings

And a HUGE Twitter backlash going on - #boycottshutterstock seems to be trending!!

All the best to you all. Tough times just got even tougher thanks to Shutterstock.

3 hours ago, sahua d said:

I'm sorry but all of you just don't understand that we all live now in a post-pandemic world. All that we have as granted is gone now. This market will die soon (with or without Shutterstock).

This is not 'a post-pandemic world'. This is still pandemic world. And this means that online services, distance learning and distance work are only now becoming mainstream. Including microstock activity.

The contributor community hold an awful lot of power in this. Its not about having the resources and means to influence a far better outcome than the draconian rubbish being handed down to you on a rusted pitchfork, it is about collective resolve and action - of which some / many have already started and it's beginning to bear some results. 

SS, You have run the numbers, you know why you chose the levels you did, do you have the guts to explain your reasoning?

I presume very high volume sellers will make slightly more. High volume sellers will make about the same, low volume sellers will make less, and very low sellers will make a lot less. If you don't answer I will assume I am correct.

So here is the question. Assuming a long term contributor who is at the .38 sub level, how many sales a month or year do they have to be making for this to be a revenue neutral change?  Sure it makes a difference what the mix of sales types are - but you know what the averages are - what is the breakdown. Do you have the guts to tell us? 

How big of a seller do you have to be for SS to care about you?

Once this has been implemented do you have any plans to introduce new lower priced image sale methods?

Just now, eskystudio said:

That is assuming there is a way to turn off portolios for 2-3 days each month.

According to SS, it takes up to 72 hours to opt-in or opt-out of making your port(s) available for licensing.  Yes, it can be done, but you're looking at more than just a 3 day shut-off, as it takes up to 3 days to turn it off and then back on again.  A week would be the minimum length to do it, but everyone - or at least a vast majority of contributors - would have to do it, or it would have no impact.

IMHO.