New earnings structure for Contributors

I am a very small contributor here , I was much larger at iS when a similar thing happened and I did not stand up for my art,  this time it is much easier.

I am sure that there are people here who feel they can not close down their income as a matter of principle, but in this case I can and will. 

It is not only about the total income at the end of the year, it is about the fact that Sutterstock value my work and creativity at 10c. This is not acceptable,  I would sooner not sell anything than be payed a pittance for honest work . Shame on you and , although not a charitable thought, I trust that  Kate@shutterstock and the rest of the team at this appalling company have sleepless nights about the misery and hurt that they have heaped on the creative community.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Just when you think Shutterstock couldn't completely and utterly screw the contributors and more you've gone and done it. Effectively with a January reset everybody gets a cut of 20% or more of e

Posted Images

2 hours ago, AlphaNature said:

Are you hoping to ride on other people's backs? I don’t know you, but your words say a lot about you. No matter how you succeed in life, you should be ashamed at heart. If you are ashamed, then not everything is lost and you can hope for the best. Correct before death, so as not to suffer in the afterlife.

You're right, you don't know me so keep your judgemental comments to yourself, you pompous ass.   If this forum was properly moderated you'd be banned for making a personal attack for no reason at all except to make yourself feel superior.  Correct before death, but there is no afterlife, so you're gonna my disappointed.

8 minutes ago, AlphaNature said:

I do not boast. I have level 3. and not earned on other people's backs.

How could I possibly earn on other's people's backs?  I have no control over the actions of my fellow contributors.  I shoot, I submit, I wait.  How exactly am I riding on the back's of others? Please explain this flawed logic you have.  If I am riding on the backs of others, then surely you must also be doing the same thing.

5 hours ago, LongJon said:

но они могут жить нормальной жизнью. в испании италия франция ггермания нормальная жизнь начинается с 3000 евро вверх .. немного отличается загар 500 600

You're a little wrong. For example in Russia an ambulance arrives free of charge for each call which means that we do not have a monetary expense for this. Food is not expensive, such as fresh meat, costs $ 3 per 1 kg. Housing costs(electricity, water, gas) are also not too high. Prices for travel in public transport is cheap. I'm not talking about cities with millions of inhabitants, of course. The larger the city , the more expensive it is to live in. But in a city with a population of up to 1 million a salary equivalent to 1,000 dollars will allow you to live very well! Sorry for the offtop

I want to clarify. So you do not think that I urge everyone to leave or turn off their work. I did not make such tell today, but I myself will it this and will not it forever. When exactly I turn it on, I have not decided yet. I think the longer the authors keep, the greater the likelihood of changes in our favor. This is just an attempt to influence, not destroy Shutterstock.

15 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

How could I possibly earn on other's people's backs?  I have no control over the actions of my fellow contributors.  I shoot, I submit, I wait.  How exactly am I riding on the back's of others? Please explain this flawed logic you have.  If I am riding on the backs of others, then surely you must also be doing the same thing.

You, by your position, dissuade people from protest. You say, "To her, you guys are fighting enemies, and in the rear I will see how you die and fruit trees will grow on your bodies for me." You have the right to think so, but these thoughts are not commendable. And if you pronounce these thoughts, then you are not even ashamed of your subconscious bad thoughts. There is no man without sin, but these sins must be tried to be reduced and ashamed of them.

Written in the First Quarter Financial Report: 

Commenting on the Company's performance, Stan Pavlovsky, the Company's Chief Executive Officer, said, "Amidst unprecedented economic uncertainty globally, Shutterstock has remained resilient and strong, providing our customers with custom services and fresh and relevant content they need to reach their audiences during this time. We are grateful for our contributor community, who continue to document the extraordinary change in our daily lives. Our first quarter results reflect the strength of the Shutterstock brand. We remain focused on executing on our 2020 vision, driving long-term value for our shareholders and are confident that our resilience will make us stronger in the days and years to come.

Key Operating Metrics

• Paid downloads decreased 1% to 46.8 million.
  • Revenue per download remained flat at $3.42.
  • Image collection expanded 27% to approximately 330 million images.
  • Video collection expanded 29% to approximately 18 million clips.

Continue reading here: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/shutterstock-reports-first-quarter-2020-110200753.html

15 minutes ago, AnastasiaOsipova said:

You're a little wrong. For example in Russia an ambulance arrives free of charge for each call which means that we do not have a monetary expense for this. Food is not expensive, such as fresh meat, costs $ 3 per 1 kg. Housing costs(electricity, water, gas) are also not too high. Prices for travel in public transport is cheap. I'm not talking about cities with millions of inhabitants, of course. The larger the city , the more expensive it is to live in. But in a city with a population of up to 1 million a salary equivalent to 1,000 dollars will allow you to live very well! Sorry for the offtop

Sorry, where do you live now?

5 hours ago, Phil Lowe said:

I don't recall the particulars right now.  All I know is that when I tried to upload documentary editorial images, they were rejected because I had not reached "Silver level" (1,000 downloads) yet.  

Allright... I might just try with one photograph as i reached the 1000 a few weeks ago. Thank you!

I have been around for 16 years, and worked my way to 600k thousand images and 9-people team. I have seen enough of bad news from almost all agencies including SS. But those news were 10-20% worse than whatever was the current state, and it has given time to adjust our business models, and continue working. This is a reduction of 3-4 times at the key earning site. The payback for me is between 1-3 years, and with this announcement SS effectively made my last 1-2 years work completely worthless. This is a major blow, and very disrespectful to a thousand of contributors who made SS what it is today. 

I would understand gradual change, but such a major change, is very unprofessional. 

5 minutes ago, shufu photoexperience said:

In future most of us will do what we are doing, no matter how this story ends. Even jumping in wildfires, floods, diving deep, flying high, got stomped in the crowds, chased by wild animals, spending nights outdoor or drawing infront of PC, whatever. Because we love it. Not for the money.

That could be me writing :) 

Thanks, couldn't agree more. 

The stock submitters coalition already has over 330 members and represents a portfolio of over 2 million items. Join the cause and help make a difference. https://forms.gle/cEN6kAjcqyqtUbBj9

If you joined it but did not receive the email I just sent out then go back in and fill it out one more time. The first ten people it didn't collect emails.

2 hours ago, Phil Lowe said:

A petition at this point is purely symbolic.  It's not going to change management's mind.  What will affect them is to see thousands of contributors opting out of sales.  When they don't have anything decent to sell, maybe then they will take the hint that this no earnings pay structure is completely unacceptable to most contributors here.

SS says they want, "quality work that is fresh, relevant and in demand by our customers", but they're only willing to pay for the absolute dreck that they started accepting in 2015 and, only late last year, started rejecting en masse.

In other words, they want filet mignon but are only willing to pay Happy Meal prices.  They are not going to get the former with this kind of nonsensical payment structure.  Whoever proposed this is insane, at best.

I agree for petition, but nothing cost us to sign it. 

They turned of comments on IG, which just shows their true face once again. And for me is a small victory.

Only thing that happen here is disobedience, which means stop uploading content, and see what happens.

32 minutes ago, AnastasiaOsipova said:

that's what i said and live well 500 600) that's why there are so many contributors from russia...

On 26/5/2020 at 12:55, Richard Whitcombe said:

Se restablece al nivel 1 cada enero, así que baje del 30,35% o lo que sea hasta el 15%. Luego, tienes que subir en los próximos meses al nivel que estabas antes.
Lo que significa el primer período del año en que la mayoría de las personas ganará * significativamente * menos.

Peor aún, los videos y las imágenes están separados y no se ayudan mutuamente.

Esto va a generar una ENORME cantidad de dinero para SS ya que para el comienzo del año pagarán 50% menos comisiones.

¡Qué maravilloso, la gente puede luchar en menos mes durante meses para llegar finalmente al árbol de ganancias en el que estaban antes que Bang! El 1 de enero llega y se arrancan de la escalera al 15% para comenzar a volver a subir.

Si alguien dudaba del desprecio total y absoluto que SS tiene ahora por sus contribuyentes, esto tiene que eliminar toda duda. Se han ido por completo a iStock, ganando alegremente la carrera hasta el fondo.

y las personas reciben un aviso de 5 DÍAS de un recorte salarial. En un momento en que las ventas están en su punto más bajo de todos modos. Excelente.

Al menos ni siquiera intentaron iniciar el correo electrónico con "¡Noticias emocionantes!" esta vez.

No se si no es peor... Por lo que entiendo, además de resetearse los porcentajes cada 1º de enero, estos estarán relacionados con el modelo de suscripción o compra de créditos que el cliente elija. Es decir, si el cliente compra una paquete de 5 imágenes por $50, nuestra comisión será sobre una descarga el 15% de $10. Pero si el cliente compra un paquete de 250 imágenes por $150, nuestra comisión será el 15% de (150/250=1,66) $1,66.

Después de 12 años como colaborador esto resulta realmente lamentable! (pensar que mirábamos al IS con malos ojos...)

after studying and analysing i have the impression that 

- still will not much affected....some will earn some not...

- video is the big big loser...betwenn subscritption and video royalty they will take away probably 95 percent of royalty before given to hd file, from 27 dollar they will end up mostly with 1,3 1,6 dollar till 4 dollar.....i expected this cause video was too pricey compared to still s and video producer errand a lot more than still....and most of all still were already sold for peanuts , video not.

so if you are mostly a still producer you should keep your folio and see what happen next 3 months, for me you want see a bigger collapse, clearly if sale collapse like in may you will see it but mostly due to low demand....if you are a video producer good luck...

1 hour ago, blvdone said:

More than 99% of video contributors won't make it to level 5.  Therefore, we'll just lose like $500 per year from video sales on our way to get to Level 4.

If we are lucky. With cart sales, from January, we'll earn 12$ for hd and 27$ for 4k at 15%, 16$ and 36$ at 20% and 20$ and 45$ at 25%, then finally after 250 sales we'll earn as much as we did, 24$ and 54$. That added up is a really huge loss of income, we'll loose about 1,500 with mixed hd and 4k sales to get back to 30% commission.